Where to download HX99 RAW samples?

Started Oct 17, 2018 | Discussions
Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,314
Where to download HX99 RAW samples?

I couldn't find any on sony.com and would like to properly evaluate the image quality of this camera.

Thanks!

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,425
Re: Where to download HX99 RAW samples?

Prognathous wrote:

I couldn't find any on sony.com and would like to properly evaluate the image quality of this camera.

Thanks!

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100-vi/sony-rx100-viGALLERY.HTM

There are a few in the DPR image gallery as well. This is one of them. scroll through for the others...

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8189628340/sony-cyber-shot-rx100-vi/3388360682

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
OP Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,314

edform wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

Thanks!

There are a few in the DPR image gallery as well. This is one of them. scroll through for the others...

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/8189628340/sony-cyber-shot-rx100-vi/3388360682

These links are for samples from the RX100 VI, not the HX99. These are very different cameras, with the former having a sensor that's about 4 times larger than the latter. I know its quality is decent. The question is about the quality of the HX99. It uses a sensor that's closer to those used by cell phones...

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
edform
edform Veteran Member • Posts: 7,425

Prognathous wrote:

edform wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

Thanks!

These links are for samples from the RX100 VI, not the HX99. These are very different cameras, with the former having a sensor that's about 4 times larger than the latter. I know its quality is decent. The question is about the quality of the HX99. It uses a sensor that's closer to those used by cell phones...

Sorry about that - I cannot think why I missed something so obvious.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
CaliforniaDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

Prognathous wrote:

Thanks!

I think you might have to wait some time until the camera is in more hands. I would imagine that Cameralabs will do a review, as they did one of the HX90V some time ago.  In addition, it might be difficult to do lens corrections for RAW images until third parties update their software to work with it.

Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

FWIW I have the same question. So far I have had no luck... I thought the HX99 cam had released in Europe and elsewhere a couple months ago but I wonder if Sony actually shipped any stock to them...

CaliforniaDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,631

Chris 222 wrote:

FWIW I have the same question. So far I have had no luck... I thought the HX99 cam had released in Europe and elsewhere a couple months ago but I wonder if Sony actually shipped any stock to them...

It was announced some time ago, but I think the release date in Europe is in early November, as in the US.

Peter Albinger Regular Member • Posts: 119

Chris 222 wrote:

A promo on the HS99's imminent release was posted in dp review on August 31. It specifically mentions that the camera (and the HX95) would be available in October. It does not give an exact date.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3472327131/sony-cyber-shot-hx95-and-hx99-compact-high-zoom-4k-cameras-announced-in-europe

No reviews have yet appeared from anyone in Europe. Chances are the camera is not even out there yet.

-- hide signature --
 Peter Albinger's gear list:Peter Albinger's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 +6 more
Jack R. Grouell
Jack R. Grouell Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

HX99 is available for order from B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/news/new-ultra-compact-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx99-camera-with-24-720mm-zoom-lens

Mine is scheduled for delivery 10/24/2018

-- hide signature --

Jack G
Everett WA

Jack R. Grouell's gear list:Jack R. Grouell's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
mirthseeker Regular Member • Posts: 249

Now showing in stock, Sony Australia - $Au729.

Jack R. Grouell
Jack R. Grouell Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

Sorry - misread the order:  Camera ships 11/8/2018.  Some of the other things I ordered ship on 10/24/2018

-- hide signature --

Jack G
Everett WA

Jack R. Grouell's gear list:Jack R. Grouell's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A57 +2 more
Chris 222 Senior Member • Posts: 1,239

Jack R. Grouell wrote:

Sorry - misread the order: Camera ships 11/8/2018. Some of the other things I ordered ship on 10/24/2018

No worries, thanks Jack.

I'd be grateful if you could post some OOC pics when you get a chance!

Peter Albinger Regular Member • Posts: 119

Some samples - RAW and jpg - available here at the Photography Blog website.

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cyber_shot_hx99_review/preview_images

-- hide signature --
 Peter Albinger's gear list:Peter Albinger's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 +6 more
DHOC_TAZH
DHOC_TAZH Junior Member • Posts: 44

Hmm... I may consider trading my HX90v just for the extra ISO reach, 4k video modes and RAW file capability. I've long since stopped using the built in GPS anyway on the HX90v as it doesn't always work properly.

Thanks for posting the link to the RAW shots.

DHOC_TAZH's gear list:DHOC_TAZH's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-x Pentax K-70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +18 more
John McCormack Veteran Member • Posts: 6,412

DHOC_TAZH wrote:

Hmm... I may consider trading my HX90v just for the extra ISO reach, 4k video modes and RAW file capability. I've long since stopped using the built in GPS anyway on the HX90v as it doesn't always work properly.

The latest version of Raw Therapy (5.6) will handle the RAW files very well.

DHOC_TAZH

John McCormack wrote:

DHOC_TAZH wrote:

The latest Ubuntu Studio version has 5.5, but I was able to view the RAW files there. Thanks.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-x Pentax K-70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +18 more
DHOC_TAZH

DHOC_TAZH wrote:

John McCormack wrote:

DHOC_TAZH wrote:

The latest Ubuntu Studio version has 5.5, but I was able to view the RAW files there. Thanks.

Not sure I'll get the HX99.
As it is the best HX90V JPEGs I've shot are fine. Looked at some of the HX99 samples, and pixel peeped them against some of the best HX90V JPEGs I have posted on my flickr page. I still may get it when it goes on sale for less than $450... I'd rather get it new if I grab one at all. But for now, I'm happy with my HX90 and ironed out some of the issues I was having with the GPS feature (mostly tracking and storing data).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads