Am I a fool to want a 1DSIII?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Johnbro Regular Member • Posts: 181
Am I a fool to want a 1DSIII?

I've got a 6D, 6D2, and a 7D2. 6D is getting sold. Might sell the 7D2--I love it but it seems I rarely pull it out of my bag.

For some reason I've been jonesing for a 1DS Mark 3, for reasons I can't quite seem to justify--mainly just that I've never owned a 1 anything from Canon and I wonder if holding such a massive solid brick in my hand will rock my world, or if it will just seem like a slightly demented grandfather of my 6D2.

(Ok, save the recommendations to just get a 5D4--I was going to do that instead of the 6D2 but it just doesn't have enough extras--at least extras that matter to me--to justify the big jump in price.)

I can buy a decent 1DS3 for a little more than I can get for my 7D2.

Ok, all you 1DS shooters: am I going to regret it or love it?

Johnbro's gear list:Johnbro's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II +8 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Contributing Member • Posts: 811
Re: Am I a fool to want a 1DSIII?

Go for it, I just  sold  my 1DsIII and hated to see it go. It produces beautiful images and is built like a tank. I posted a comparison between it and the 5DIV recently and it certainly has aged well.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
txsizzler
txsizzler Senior Member • Posts: 1,656

Seeing as you are keeping the 6D2, why not look at the 1D4 instead? That way you retain a crop frame camera (albeit a 1.3x), with great control, speed, and versatility that the 1D series is known for.

txsizzler's gear list:txsizzler's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot S50 Canon PowerShot S80 Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S95 +11 more
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,714

I've owned a 1 series; the original 1Ds.  It was the first Canon I ever bought when I switched from Sony/Minolta A mount.  It was already about 10 years old, but it still shot great.  It was slow, the screen sucked, and it had IQ quirks that would be unforgivable today, but it was a joy to shoot.  That brick like feel  and shutter sound just inspire confidence.  You feel like you have a precision tool rather than a tech gadget.

I toy with the same idea of getting another 1 series.  For me it would likely be the 1D4, as I'd use it for sports and appreciate the speed and crop factor.  But a clean 1Ds3 for the right price is always something I could cave into.

I think you'd enjoy the heck out of it.  If you get enjoyment in photography from the feel and experience of the camera, then a 1 series must be tried at least once.  The IQ is still pretty good, and at lower ISO will stand up well against your current bodies.  Just prepare yourself accordingly for what a 10 year old camera will lack (bad screen, terrible live view, support for newest flash features, etc.).

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Sony a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +8 more
rmexpress22 Contributing Member • Posts: 662

The 1D-series bodies definitely feel like different monsters. For large lenses, they really do balance a lot better. Their responses is usually a bit snappier, although bodies like the 7D2 are also very responsive.

I think if you just want to try it, it might be good to rent. It's just not going to do anything better than what you already have.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6i +12 more
ffabrici Contributing Member • Posts: 713
Go for it!

Great tool! Screen has low res and check it for shutter failure before buying.

Maritn Edwards Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Go for it!

Hi

Great idea. The 1ds iii is a superb camera. The money you save can go on lenses or shoots! When buying secondhand, like I did 6 months ago, try to get one labeled at very good condition with full checks carried out by the seller.  I'd buy from a business reseller who gives a warranty only, not private sellers.  Look for no sensor scratches, and no marks or missing caps on the body. I paid UK£850 if that helps. You can pick up batteries cheaply on Amazon.

Be aware the camera is out of support from Canon though.

Dm me if I can help more.

Martin

apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,392
Re: Go for it!

If the 5D Mark IV doesn't have enough extras compared to the 6D Mark II, then forget about the 1Ds Mark III.

Since it's a 1D-series camera, it does have some extras, but per 2007 year standard. Not per today.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,486
I Bought One This Year

I bought a very-well-preserved 1Ds Mark III earlier this year, for $888 US, even though I already had a 5D IV. A top-tier pro camera is so very nice, to have in-hand, and balances a large telephoto lens, beautifully. (I bought an older EF 300/2.8L IS, before adding the 1Ds III.)

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +49 more
whumber
whumber Senior Member • Posts: 1,856

No, it's still a great camera but I'd be inclined to use it more for studio and landscape work. Many of my favorite shots in my portfolio are from the 1Ds3 and 5Dc, they both have an excellent character that's difficult to replicate. With that said though, the 5Ds/R is a better camera in pretty much every way other than the lack of the 1D body and the 0.76x OVF.

whumber's gear list:whumber's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +9 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,678

I had them and although they produce rich colors and do well with SOOC files I do not really recommend them to the idly curious.

It is much bigger than a more consumer 6D type of thing and this matters if you are only going to take landscape mode shots. It is not so convenient to carry around and the extra size may preclude an extra lens in the bag. You'll be getting worse high iso performance by at least half a stop if this matters to you.

Plus if you are not experienced with buying used then you have to learn to spot signs of wear and use in an item that could have had a hard life.

The usual advice is: if you need a professional camera, you will already know.

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,486
Not The Best High-ISO Camera

No older DSLR, not even the top-tier pro bodies, are going to be a best choice for high-ISO performance. When I added a 1Ds Mark III a few months ago, it was with plans to use it in adequate light, or with good Speedlites, in the ISO 100 to 400 range. I have much better cameras for high-ISO shooting.

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +49 more
1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 5,219

rmexpress22 wrote:

The 1D-series bodies definitely feel like different monsters. For large lenses, they really do balance a lot better. Their responses is usually a bit snappier, although bodies like the 7D2 are also very responsive.

I think if you just want to try it, it might be good to rent. It's just not going to do anything better than what you already have.

speaking of 1D bodies, i have 1dmk4 and 1Dx bodies--it would be very difficult for me to go back to 5D or aps-c bodies! i don't know, when i am having my heavy 1D bodies and a heavy white prime or 100-400 type lens mounted, the whole setup seem to create such confidence and feels so stable that i forget the weight! you can feel that 1D bodies are in a different league

-- hide signature --

Who are you gonna believe, me, or your lying eyes? Groucho Marx.

1Dx4me's gear list:1Dx4me's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
hermit383
hermit383 Regular Member • Posts: 483

I'm the same way and I have a 5DIV and 1DXII, I would probably get the 1DIV though for the 10FPS. 16MP is plenty unless your cropping.

hermit383's gear list:hermit383's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,678

hermit383 wrote:

I'm the same way and I have a 5DIV and 1DXII, I would probably get the 1DIV though for the 10FPS. 16MP is plenty unless your cropping.

Haha, with the 1D IV you already are cropping. It is a 1.3x crop camera. How much cropping do you need?

realmadeira Regular Member • Posts: 153

Johnbro wrote:

I've got a 6D, 6D2, and a 7D2. 6D is getting sold. Might sell the 7D2--I love it but it seems I rarely pull it out of my bag.

For some reason I've been jonesing for a 1DS Mark 3, for reasons I can't quite seem to justify--mainly just that I've never owned a 1 anything from Canon and I wonder if holding such a massive solid brick in my hand will rock my world, or if it will just seem like a slightly demented grandfather of my 6D2.

(Ok, save the recommendations to just get a 5D4--I was going to do that instead of the 6D2 but it just doesn't have enough extras--at least extras that matter to me--to justify the big jump in price.)

I will be a voice of reason here.

I own 1DsIII, 7DII and 5DIII

All three have a similar price pre-owned.

Exchanging 7DII for 1DsIII is a mistake. Sensor performance of 1DsIII is slightly better than 7DII at ISO 100-800. 7DII is superior in anything else: high ISO, focussing etc

1DsIII has however that certain charm of a solid magnesium brick

If you really want another FF than just pick 5DIII, but then it will be very close to your 6DII

Or you can just save money and use your cameras for another 2-3 years until 5DIV comes down to your budget

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 5,219

realmadeira wrote:

Johnbro wrote:

I will be a voice of reason here.

I own 1DsIII, 7DII and 5DIII

All three have a similar price pre-owned.

Exchanging 7DII for 1DsIII is a mistake. Sensor performance of 1DsIII is slightly better than 7DII at ISO 100-800. 7DII is superior in anything else: high ISO, focussing etc

1DsIII has however that certain charm of a solid magnesium brick

If you really want another FF than just pick 5DIII, but then it will be very close to your 6DII

Or you can just save money and use your cameras for another 2-3 years until 5DIV comes down to your budget

if i was to get a canon 1DsIII FF camera, it would be strictly for portrait and some landscape and nothing else! i would never get a 1DsIII as my main camera but some particular situation! also, i'd make sure to have some top notch "L" lenses to go with it! of course, 1DsIII by itself is far behind the contemporary lenses in technology and features. but DsIII still produces some great files, just like original 5D

-- hide signature --

Who are you gonna believe, me, or your lying eyes? Groucho Marx.

1Dx4me's gear list:1Dx4me's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +7 more
andyus08 Contributing Member • Posts: 501

I own both 1Ds III and 5D III and I photograph wedding & portrait.

When I need to use high ISO capability and during the wedding day, I use 5D III as it's lighter and easier to move around. I only use 1Ds III for studio/photo booth/ or bridal session.

I still prefer color from 1Ds III. YMMV

tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Contributing Member • Posts: 811

Someone on the forum asked for a comparison between JPEG's from a 1DsIII and a 5DIV, so I shot a quick image and posted it. The only difference I saw was that the 1DsIII was slightly warmer and the shadows darker but that was on JPEG's. If you like the colors, file sizes and form factor I would not hesitate. After fourteen years of carrying 1Series bodies I sold mine and went with a couple of 5DIV's. For me, it was about improved high ISO performance, reduced weight and upgrading to current bodies.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

I used and enjoyed a 1Ds III for for several years. I wouldn't want one today, but that's because I've moved on to much higher resolution sensors.

It has a battery that lasts a very long time, built in portrait grip, and it's very tough. That's all good.

It's an old sensor design, and doesn't offer the latest in AF or high ISO.

If you try it and like it, go for it.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads