How good is the G9 at High ISO ?

Started Oct 15, 2018 | Discussions
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,525
Re: How good is the G9 at High ISO ?

APSC is not much larger than m43, better sensor tech and firmware can make up for it...but a very good APSC sensor and firmware (ie Sony) will of course be a tad better than m43.

One Canon mirrorless body is almost exactly the same size as the Panny GF7 (through GF10).  Too bad their sensors are clearly a step behind everyone else (and their lenses for their mirrorless)...but it proves an APSC can be as small as my GF7 which I think is an ideal size and weight - very usable size for my size hands.

I accidentally smashed my GF7 and 12-32 lens last week - slipped climbing down a small mountain.  mechanical shutter is not working...PITA - wanted to get a 2nd larger/better body but also keep this one for hiking but I'm not going to buy 2 bodies.  Electronic shutter works and lens seems OK even though it has a gouge (amazing any of it works - it hit the  bedrock/boulder very hard as I moved my hands to catch myself.  I held the strap in my right hand so I bet I slung the camera onto the rock/ground so it was worse than dropping/falling a few feet).

I saw a GF7 with lens for under $250 on ebay used.  GF10s are hard to find used and I think the cheap imports are PAL versions?  Hard to find that info!

erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,537

phototherapy wrote:

I'm interested in the Panasonic G9, but I would like to know how good the Jpeg OOC are in real low light at ISO 3200, thanks.

I considered the G9, but found it a bit bulkier than I really wanted, and also looked at the following comparison.

Imaging resource comparison

So far, the EM1ii has mostly been a positive experience,

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
Photobook: http://www.blurb.ca/b/7525756-the-book-of-gina

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
Ted_G
Ted_G Regular Member • Posts: 107

Dark is dark and without knowing the photo context makes this tough to answer. If the subject is still....like church interior the IBIS will allow lower ISO. I'm not wild about the OOC jpegs...run the RAWs through DXO Photolab and your cooking with gas 😀.

You can see samples on my website....but your best bet is to try it yourself with an appropriate lens.

-- hide signature --

"Lead Me....Follow Me....Or Get The Hell Out Of My Way"

Ted_G's gear list:Ted_G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II
mad-marco New Member • Posts: 18

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

I'm interested in the Panasonic G9, but I would like to know how good the Jpeg OOC are in real low light at ISO 3200, thanks.

I considered the G9, but found it a bit bulkier than I really wanted, and also looked at the following comparison.

I reached exactly the same conclusion a few weeks ago, so I bought a E-M1 II rather than a G9. I really wish that Panasonic hadn't gone for the big body design that they are currently stuck in. For me, the appeal of m43 is being smaller than FF and not the same or bigger.

StevoPhilo Regular Member • Posts: 240

mad-marco wrote:

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

I reached exactly the same conclusion a few weeks ago, so I bought a E-M1 II rather than a G9. I really wish that Panasonic hadn't gone for the big body design that they are currently stuck in. For me, the appeal of m43 is being smaller than FF and not the same or bigger.

The EM1-ii is slightly smaller than the G9, but the G9 isn't any bigger than a Nikon D7200. It's maybe slightly bigger than the D5600. I wouldn't even say it is the size of a FF Camera cause it isn't.

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/steven_portraits

StevoPhilo's gear list:StevoPhilo's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +10 more

StevoPhilo wrote:

mad-marco wrote:

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

The EM1-ii is slightly smaller than the G9, but the G9 isn't any bigger than a Nikon D7200. It's maybe slightly bigger than the D5600. I wouldn't even say it is the size of a FF Camera cause it isn't.

For me, the G9 just too big and negates the reason I shoot m43. The E-M1 II is right on the limit (perhaps a bit more than I would really like) of what I would accept. It's a lot bigger than the FF Sony A7 III for instance, which just seems unnecessary.

http://j.mp/2NICmF6

Miguel-C
Miguel-C Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

mad-marco wrote:

StevoPhilo wrote:

mad-marco wrote:

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

For me, the G9 just too big and negates the reason I shoot m43. The E-M1 II is right on the limit (perhaps a bit more than I would really like) of what I would accept. It's a lot bigger than the FF Sony A7 III for instance, which just seems unnecessary.

The g9 has perhaps the best body ergonomics of any camera (cant coment on the canon R or nikon Z)

Miguel-C wrote:

mad-marco wrote:

StevoPhilo wrote:

mad-marco wrote:

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

The g9 has perhaps the best body ergonomics of any camera (cant coment on the canon R or nikon Z)

In your opinion, for me it's just too big. The Panasonic trend towards big for their high end cameras is unfortunate for those of use that want high end features in a small package.

James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 5,102

StevoPhilo wrote:

mad-marco wrote:

erichK wrote:

phototherapy wrote:

There are a few FF mirrorless to choose from these days

Though personally regards the sensor my hands are the same size and I would like my Sony FF to be a littler larger with a better grip

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” John Adams

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads