Godox Wireless Trigger X-Pro P (Pentax)

Started Oct 13, 2018 | Discussions
Kesha
Kesha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,060
Godox Wireless Trigger X-Pro P (Pentax)

Got the Godox trigger X-Pro for Pentax, bought on aliexpress :

Godox Trigger for Pentax

It can do TTL and hss 1/8000 with the Godox AD2000 and TT600.

It is 1/8000

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

Kesha's gear list:Kesha's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +12 more
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,586
Re: Godox Wireless Trigger X-Pro P (Pentax)

Kesha wrote:

Godox Trigger for Pentax

Correction. Can do HSS with the AD200 and TT600.

Will never do TTL with the TT600, because that flash doesn't do TTL.

Can't do TTL yet with the AD200, because the firmware upgrade to make the AD200 Pentax P-TTL compatible hasn't yet been released (guesstimates are mid-November for the AD200 and AD360II updates).

The only Godox lights at the moment that can do TTL with the XPro-P are the AD600, and AD600 Pro, which have had their firmware updates for Pentax compatibility released, and the AD400 Pro, which is apparently going to be P-TTL compatible out of the box.

See also: https://www.diyphotography.net/the-godox-xpro-p-flash-trigger-is-a-game-changer-for-pentax-photographers/

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Kesha
OP Kesha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,060

kli wrote:

Kesha wrote:

Godox Trigger for Pentax

Can't do TTL yet with the AD200, because the firmware upgrade to make the AD200 Pentax P-TTL compatible hasn't yet been released (guesstimates are mid-November for the AD200 and AD360II updates).

The only Godox lights at the moment that can do TTL with the XPro-P are the AD600, and AD600 Pro, which have had their firmware updates for Pentax compatibility released, and the AD400 Pro, which is apparently going to be P-TTL compatible out of the box.

See also: https://www.diyphotography.net/the-godox-xpro-p-flash-trigger-is-a-game-changer-for-pentax-photographers/

Thank you Kli for the correction.

So I will wait for the AD200 FW for the P-TTL

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 200mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +12 more
Mike Arledge Senior Member • Posts: 1,639

Kesha wrote:

kli wrote:

Kesha wrote:

Godox Trigger for Pentax

Thank you Kli for the correction.

So I will wait for the AD200 FW for the P-TTL

agreed, that is really useful info, I will also wait a bit!

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
MikeFreeze
MikeFreeze Regular Member • Posts: 153
-- hide signature --

Anyone know if this will work with the K-5, including TTL?

Mike Freeze
Amateur Photog Since 1974

MikeFreeze's gear list:MikeFreeze's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +4 more
kli

kli wrote:

Correction. Can do HSS with the AD200 ...

Update: AD200 firmware v2.2 will now let the AD200 do TTL and HSS with an XPro-P.

To upgrade, you will need a Windows box, the G2 firmware upgrade application (also available at the same download link), and the AD200 v2.2 firmware downloads.

Both downloads on the Godox webset are in .rar format, and need to be unarchived (7Zip works, if you don't have something that an handle RAR). Each .rar file holds both a documentation PDF and the installer or firmware file.

You'll need a micro USB cable and a Windows box.  Use the micro USB port by the power switch, not the USB-A port that's for plugging in an FTR16 433MHz receiver, if you want to use Godox's older radio system.

The AD360II is still waiting for a firmware update, and does not do HSS. Yet.

Godox also posted firmware updates for the V860II flashes, so if you have one, that can also be updated to do TTL with an XPro-P.  The TT685 is still waiting for an update.

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Seahbc Junior Member • Posts: 45

Nice! Good news for us.

Seahbc's gear list:Seahbc's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +1 more
Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 597

Can anyone explain why the strobes need to be TTL?  I have several TT600s and Xplor units.  They work great.  I just got this trigger and while I'm happy to finally have HSS, I'm not sure why the trigger on the camera isn't all that should be needed for TTL.  Couldn't the TTL trigger talk to the camera about the test exposure and adjust the strobes accordingly?  I suppose I could understand the lack of pre-flash capability in a non-TTL strobe, but presumably an ordinary, "extra" flash would do the same job.

I don't really care about TTL for OCF (I find out more useful on-camera for a fast-changing situation), but this one puzzles me a bit.

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
howieb101 Contributing Member • Posts: 682

The strobes don't need to be ttl, it's just that some people have been crying out for (p)ttl capability.

You are right, if you don't need to run and gun, manual exposure is more than adequate and of course consistent.  But why not have the best of both worlds? Pttl when you want it and equally, manual when you want it.

Howie Be

Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 597

No, my question is, if one wants TTL in trigger-fired strobes, why does that capability have to be built into the strobes as well as the trigger?

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +5 more
kli

Adam007 wrote:

Can anyone explain why the strobes need to be TTL?

Because TTL requires two-way communication between the camera and the flash. The camera has to be able to tell the flash to set a known power level and give a preflash to meter and to meter at the moment the flash goes off, and then to adjust the power on the flash based on the metering results and FEC settings.

If the strobe can't receive/send and act on the preflash/power adjustment commands, then TTL won't work.

howieb101 Contributing Member • Posts: 682

Adam007 wrote:

No, my question is, if one wants TTL in trigger-fired strobes, why does that capability have to be built into the strobes as well as the trigger?

Think of it as a language or translation issue.

The XPRO-P can tell the strobes what to do but they need to understand.  Without the firmware update the XPRO-P can tell the strobe what to do but it presently doesn't understand and hence won't do anything with sent instructions.

After the firmware update, the strobes receives the instructions and understands what to do.

Before the firmware update the XPRO-P can send the instructions but the strobe does NOT know what to do with them.

Remember the strobe (for example AD200) presently can do ttl for Canon, Nikon, etc because it can receive the instructions from an XPRO-C or XPRO-N trigger, and understand what to do with the instructions.

kli

MikeFreeze wrote:

Yes. Folks on pentaxforums.com have tested the XPro-P and confirm that TTL/HSS work with the K3, K20D, K10D, K7, K5, K5 II, and MZ-S.

So, it's not just Godox's list of the K1, 645Z, K70, K50, KP, K-S2, and K-3II.

However, TTL will only work if you're using a TTL-capable Godox light with a built-in 2.4GHz trigger with a firmware version that groks P-TTL signals. At this time that means:

• TT350-P
  • V860II (any flavor) with recent (Oct. 24, 2018) firmware update
  • AD200 with v2.2 firmware update
  • AD400 Pro
  • AD600 / AD600B with v2.6 firmware update
  • AD600 Pro with v1.3 firmware update

The AD600M / AD600BM with v1.9 firmware update can do HSS and remote power control, but as a non-TTL strobe, does not do TTL. The TT600 and V850II are not firmware-upgradable and don't do TTL, but do already work with HSS and M power control.

The AD360II and TT685 speedlights have not yet been issued P-TTL compatibility firmware updates. And, at this time, the AD360II does not do HSS with an XPro-P.

There is no X1R-P add-on receiver in the system (yet; maybe never), so using a non-Godox P-TTL compatible flash in TTL in the system is not possible.

Also, at this time, the TT350-P is the only flash that you can use on-camera in TTL/HSS, since the V350-P, TT685-P and V860II-P have not yet been announced (let alone released).

swordfish541 New Member • Posts: 1

kli wrote:

MikeFreeze wrote:

Yes. Folks on pentaxforums.com have tested the XPro-P and confirm that TTL/HSS work with the K3, K20D, K10D, K7, K5, K5 II, and MZ-S.

However, TTL will only work if you're using a TTL-capable Godox light with a built-in 2.4GHz trigger with a firmware version that groks P-TTL signals. At this time that means:

• TT350-P
  • AD400 Pro

The AD600M / AD600BM with v1.9 firmware update can do HSS and remote power control, but as a non-TTL strobe, does not do TTL. The TT600 and V850II are not firmware-upgradable and don't do TTL, but do already work with HSS and M power control.

The AD360II and TT685 speedlights have not yet been issued P-TTL compatibility firmware updates. And, at this time, the AD360II does not do HSS with an XPro-P.

There is no X1R-P add-on receiver in the system (yet; maybe never), so using a non-Godox P-TTL compatible flash in TTL in the system is not possible.

Also, at this time, the TT350-P is the only flash that you can use on-camera in TTL/HSS, since the V350-P, TT685-P and V860II-P have not yet been announced (let alone released).

Kli, thanks for sharing the list! I'm very new to flash photography. I wanted to buy a speedlight for my Pentax K-70 but realized I bought flash trigger only: XPro P. I've been searching for options and found this thread. Is there any light you would recommend today? My criteria are:

- compatible with K-70

- compatible with XPro P (if a light works standalone then it's optional)

- budget: under $100 USD

TT350-P is available on amazon but it doesn't have positive reviews.
V860II - by any flavor did you mean V860II made for other brands would work?
AD* - out of my budget.

Thank you!

vietnam74 Regular Member • Posts: 235

If you're using different flashes than Godox then you'd better go with Cactus V6 II. Cactus V6 II can support Metz, Pentax, and lots of other flahes that you've already acquired or had.

vietnam74's gear list:vietnam74's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +20 more
kli

swordfish541 wrote:

... Kli, thanks for sharing the list!

You're welcome.

I'm very new to flash photography. I wanted to buy a speedlight for my Pentax K-70 but realized I bought flash trigger only: XPro P. I've been searching for options and found this thread. Is there any light you would recommend today?

Unfortunately, for on-camera TTL use with Pentax, Godox only offers two models: the TT350-P mini speedlight, and the V1-P roundheaded speedlight (which is usually $260).

My criteria are:

- compatible with K-70

All the Godox lights with a  2.4GHz trigger built in can trigger and be power-controlled from the XPro-P. At this time, the only ones that don't do P-TTL with an Xpro-P are the non-TTL manual lights (TT600, V850II, and the AC powered strobes), the AD360II, and the non-Canon TT685 models.

It's a mini speedlight. For what it is, it's good but it may not have enough power for some applications.

They and the TT685-C (for Canon) can be firmware updated to work as P-TTL/HSS radio slaves off-camera. But the pin layout on the foot still won't physically match the contacts on the Pentax hotshoe,  and the electronic communication signal protocol is different so it can't actually talk to your camera to do things like TTL or HSS when used on-camera, attached to the hotshoe.

If you need a P-TTL on-camera flash, I think your only Godox choice is the TT350-P.  But you could also use a Yongnuo YN-585EX.  But the Yongnuo won't work with the XPro-P.

If you need an off-camera P-TTL flash, then the TT685-C is about $110 and can be firmware updated to do that. If you don't need TTL at all, then the $60 TT600 single-pin manual flash might work. You can only fire it on-camera. But off-camera as a radio slave to the Xpro-P, you have remote M power, group, and HSS control over the flash.

Kesha
OP Kesha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,060

swordfish541 wrote:

kli wrote:

MikeFreeze wrote:

• AD400 Pro

Kli, thanks for sharing the list! I'm very new to flash photography. I wanted to buy a speedlight for my Pentax K-70 but realized I bought flash trigger only: XPro P. I've been searching for options and found this thread. Is there any light you would recommend today? My criteria are:

- compatible with K-70

AD* - out of my budget.

Thank you!

Dont buy TT 350P, very bad.
I own it.

-- hide signature --

-- Rusma

kli

Kesha wrote:

Dont buy TT 350P, very bad.
I own it.

To be more informative for folks and persuade them not to buy, you might want to describe how it's very bad, and also how you determined you didn't just get a bad copy or have usage errors (e.g., not seating the flash far enough into the flash hotshoe, or not configuring it as a receiver correctly).

But one of the tradeoffs with cheap 3rd-party gear is that copy variance can be bigger than with more expensive OEM units where they're more rigorously tested (as are the components). That's why you need to choose your retailer with care to make sure they'll cover replacement if you get stuck with a lemon. This is a given with all the 3rd-party lower-cost Chinese manufacturers (Godox, Yongnuo, Meike, Triopo, Voking, etc.), and often why getting a retailer-rebranded/supported version (e.g., Adorama's Flashpoint in the US or Pixapro in the UK) is often recommended, rather than, say, a unit off of Alibaba or eBay from a Chinese seller who won't support you past 30 days.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads