Best lens for M50 travel

Started Oct 13, 2018 | Discussions
James K Cheung Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Best lens for M50 travel

Hi I have a couple of lenses for this camera.

i am planning to take a 2 months travelling the california scenics in the winter.

Please reommend for me lenses I should take along.

Also, Specific regions to go is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Photographers cherish the environment.

James K Cheung's gear list:James K Cheung's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,983
Re: Best lens for M50 travel

James K Cheung wrote:

i am planning to take a 2 months travelling the california scenics in the winter.

Thanks in advance

Jim

California coast along hw 1 is beautiful.

How about EF-M 11-22mm?

-- hide signature --
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 7,489

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

You have the wide end nicely covered already. 22mm and 11-22 seams most important to me. 30mm f/1.4 is there.

How about a

- sigma 50mm f/1.4 art

- sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 art  (covers the longer end very nice..... bokeh!)

- canon 100mm f/2.8 macro IS USM  (gives you high IQ longer option + macro)

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +18 more
davev8
davev8 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

i would need to know what type of photography you do and whether you have to travel as light as possibly ...otherwise i will just have to say all of them

for me from your gear list the 11-22 for wide stuff and the 22 for lower light stuff the 15-45 although i would choose the 18-55 for a bigger range as much is overlapped with the 11-22 the sigma 30mm F1.4 ..i assume you have an adaptor ...i would add a EF-s 55-250 stm ...what i do when i travel is take 2 camera bags ..one big enough to fit everything in.. say if its going to be a serious photography day i take that.. if not the small one to fit a body and 1 or 2 lenses that i choose for the day to carry ..i mostly do the latter but not have the same lenses every day ..it depends on where on what i was doing on the day

-- hide signature --

Attention Dislexsic i mean dyslexic person... This post will have many although spell checked, spelling and grammatical errs ..its The best its going get so no need to tell me its bad i know it is .....................................................................................................
My 5D IS a MK1 classic
..........................................................................................................
There is no argument for FF vs APS-c (or m43) with shallow DOF..as it's a law of physics and a very subjective personal thing if you want to make use of the shallow DOF only FF can offer
...........................................................................................................
Political correctness....somebody being offended on someone else's behalf....who that someone doesn't give a damn in the first place ....David Appleton
..................................................................................................
quoting irrefutable facts may get you branded a racist ..even if no race is involved .......David Appleton
.....................................................................................................
The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist.’”........Thomas Sowell

davev8's gear list:davev8's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +5 more
YehudaKatz Senior Member • Posts: 2,229
I would take 3 M lenses only:

11-22, 22, 18-150.

Yehuda

YehudaKatz's gear list:YehudaKatz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,038
Re: I would take 3 M lenses only:

My combo as well.

Greg

Bhotoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

yehudakgtbnet wrote:

11-22, 22, 18-150.

Yehuda

I would take those too, but I would need also 4th lens: 28mm macro.

Ed P Contributing Member • Posts: 984

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

I bought the M50, couple extra batteries, EF adapter, and the EF-M 11-22 right before our west coast trip this summer. We flew into Seattle and drove down to San Francisco, through the mountains and along the coast, Napa, etc. Got a Small Domke bag and took along the above plus the EF 50mm f1.8 II. Great, great kit for that trip. Took hundreds of great pics, some with my phone too. I have a EF-S 55-250 also, but didn’t bring it and didn’t miss it, since I had 18mm-80mm covered. If I had it, I probably would have tossed the EF-M 22mm in the bag too, for wide(er) angle nighttime and interior shots, but the EF 50mm f1.8 (though tighter) handled that fine.

My other (older) camera is the Canon T1i (500D); the M50 is a fantastic camera for both stills and video. Quite an upgrade. Effortless to have with you all the time, and great results.

Ed P's gear list:Ed P's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
Ed P Contributing Member • Posts: 984

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

By the way... 2 months!? You should definitely do the Oregon coast, Avenue of the Giants, Calistoga and Napa (and a couple/few wine tours), and lots of mountain/central valley roads/highways. 👍

Ed P's gear list:Ed P's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +2 more
JRET Contributing Member • Posts: 645

yehudakgtbnet wrote:

11-22, 22, 18-150.

Yehuda

good choices ... would the new 32 be a better choice than the 22?

JRET's gear list:JRET's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +18 more
Canon M50 New Member • Posts: 17

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

For scenic, 11-22 and 55-200 would cover a good range. Then then your choice of 22, 28 , or 32.

22 = Great in all conditions, very affordable
28 = Nice in-between the zooms, has macro
32 = Good portraits, f/1.4

Pretty much depends on what you intend to shoot. Enjoy your trip!

KEG
KEG Veteran Member • Posts: 3,453

I got lucky with 15-45, so I would take 11-22, 22, 15-45 and 55-200.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP +19 more
OP James K Cheung Contributing Member • Posts: 684

Wonderful replies from all of you. Thank you !

All good picks. But instead of 32mm f1.4 I may take my 50mm F1.4 with adapter.

With the suggested choices, Should be a really good pack.

Thanks again

Jim

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
Johnrr44 Regular Member • Posts: 203

Ed P wrote:

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

By the way... 2 months!? You should definitely do the Oregon coast, Avenue of the Giants, Calistoga and Napa (and a couple/few wine tours), and lots of mountain/central valley roads/highways. 👍

If I had 2 months, I would include a trip around the Olympic Peninsula and a side trip to Yosemite.  Btw, if you go to the Olympic National Park visitor center on the north side Lake Quinault road, you will have a very good chance of seeing elk up close early in the morning.

OP James K Cheung Contributing Member • Posts: 684

Thank you for your tip  Seeing wildlife upclose is an experience I will love

Always want wild lfe shots

Jim

-- hide signature --

Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,358

11-22 and 22mm is a perfect travel combo, IMO. I personally avoid slow zooms except UWA. Unless you are going on safari, wide, semi-wide angle and low light coverage is most important. EF-M 32mm is an optional lens for those who prefer 50mm eq. focal length or need better low light than f2 but it is not nearly as versatile as 35mm eq. fl (22mm lens) for travel. Besides anything more than two lenses for travel is just gonna create confusion.
I am going to travel soon and plan on bringing just that 11-22mm, 22mm and M50.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
b_allan Regular Member • Posts: 134

My travel setup is EFS11-18(scenery/landscape) , Artisan 25mm f1.8(all around/street) & EF50mm f1.8 (portrait)

Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865

James K Cheung wrote:

Thanks in advance

Jim

In southern California try to visit Anza-Borrego State Park and/or Joshua Tree National Park. They are not far apart. To the north don't miss Yosemite National Park, it's lovely in winter especially after a snowfall. A wide lens is a must, but consider packing a longer telephoto, too, for any wildlife you see. The 55-200 is kind of slow, but it's compact.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +22 more
Bhotoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,561

Alexsfo wrote:

11-22 and 22mm is a perfect travel combo, IMO. I personally avoid slow zooms except UWA. Unless you are going on safari, wide, semi-wide angle and low light coverage is most important. EF-M 32mm is an optional lens for those who prefer 50mm eq. focal length or need better low light than f2 but it is not nearly as versatile as 35mm eq. fl (22mm lens) for travel. Besides anything more than two lenses for travel is just gonna create confusion.

Don't you miss longer range than 50mm for landscapes? I would..  I really like 18-150. I don't care it's slow  f6.3 zoom, I use it f8-11 anyway. IS is also great, I can shoot handheld 1/15 @150mm. I'm using tripod only with ND filters and long exposures. I use 18-150 much more than 11-22mm for landscapes.

dave_bass5
dave_bass5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,289

Bhotoz wrote:

Alexsfo wrote:

Don't you miss longer range than 50mm for landscapes? I would.. I really like 18-150. I don't care it's slow f6.3 zoom, I use it f8-11 anyway. IS is also great, I can shoot handheld 1/15 @150mm. I'm using tripod only with ND filters and long exposures. I use 18-150 much more than 11-22mm for landscapes.

Agree about the 18-150. Its not a tack sharp lens but its small and light, and has a very useful range. i got mine for my summer holiday this year, and was quite impressed with it. I haven't used it since though.

My fav all time lens on my M50 is my 18-135 IS USM Nano. Bigger and heavier, abut much sharper, AF is much faster and of course faster on the long end.

Also really loving the 32mm f/1.4 at the moment. I feel this focal range could cover everything if it had to, and with it being fast ti will work indoors as well as out.

Id find taking 11-22 and 22 f/2 a bit of a waste if im honest. Each has its own uses but 22mm is such a limiting FL IME, especially if you dotn know what to expect. 22mm at f/5.6 but with 3 stop IS means its more than capable in low light, as long as there isnt too much movement. Ive used mine more in low light than i have my 22mm f/2. At least with the 32mm f/1.4 you have a faster lanes and a different FL to use if needed.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads