Initial thoughts (USB-C charging works!)

Started Oct 12, 2018 | Discussions
kvn x ush New Member • Posts: 6
Initial thoughts (USB-C charging works!)

I got my camera yesterday and have a few initial thoughts:

• You DO NOT need Canon's adapter to charge the camera in-body via USB-C. I tested charging the battery in-camera with a MacBook Pro charger and via a port on my my monitor and both charged the battery fine.
  • The 24-105 kit lens it VERY sharp. Much better than I expected.
  • I wish there was a way to only have the image review on the external LCD instead of the EVF.
  • I actually really like the m-fn bar 🤷‍♂️
  • I wish there was a way to map a button to toggling Silent Shutter.
  • I'm super curious about the 35mm f/1.8 that's coming out but haven't seen much about it.  Seems like it could be the perfect walk-around lens with this body.
 kvn x ush's gear list:kvn x ush's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
Robert Boyer Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: Initial thoughts (USB-C charging works!)

kvn x ush wrote:

I got my camera yesterday and have a few initial thoughts:

• You DO NOT need Canon's adapter to charge the camera in-body via USB-C. I tested charging the battery in-camera with a MacBook Pro charger and via a port on my my monitor and both charged the battery fine.
  • The 24-105 kit lens it VERY sharp. Much better than I expected.
  • I wish there was a way to only have the image review on the external LCD instead of the EVF.
  • I actually really like the m-fn bar 🤷‍♂️
  • I'm super curious about the 35mm f/1.8 that's coming out but haven't seen much about it. Seems like it could be the perfect walk-around lens with this body.

Yep I'm really happy with the R as well. Battery life is better than I expected I still have half a charge and I've been messing with it and testing it for the last 2.5 days. I already pre-ordered that 35/1.8... it's going to be my one camera/one lens road trip camera for when I get in that "mood". The visual impression of the 24-105 R is that it is VERY good. Did a few focus at the edge pixel peep things and it does impress one as better than the EF versions but as usual very hard to tell the difference in pictures/real world. More of a geek out thing for 80% of things but a good sign for R lenses in general for the more critical work. I am one of the few people that use the 24-105 GLADLY as a workhorse when I can as using the 28-70vII has me switching out lenses when I need a zoom as often as primes it would seem (look books, location editorial work) so I typically use the 24-105 and it's fine considering I am usually more like 28-85-ish with a few 105 shots.

Yea the charger thing is one of those urban tale things (most Mac users should be fine the secret is it REALLY needs to be real USB-C )

Robert Boyer's gear list:Robert Boyer's gear list
Canon EOS R
symphonicsky New Member • Posts: 21

Charging works with my Anker USB-C PD wall charger as well. 👍🏻

symphonicsky's gear list:symphonicsky's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM Sigma 28mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Martin Muehlemann
Martin Muehlemann Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

symphonicsky wrote:

Charging works with any powerbank that supplies an output of 3A on USB-C

Most powerbanks supply 2 or 2.4A. Thats the whole trick. And it has to be a proper USB-C connector. Blue USB3 connector. I found grey ones too. They will deliver only 2.4A even if they have a USB-C connecor on one end.

Cheers

Martin

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +11 more
BlindOneArmGuy
BlindOneArmGuy New Member • Posts: 1

I've noticed that sometimes it won't charge when you plug in the type-c cable, you need to take the battery out and put it back in to get it working. I'm using a mac charger too btw

BlindOneArmGuy's gear list:BlindOneArmGuy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
OP kvn x ush New Member • Posts: 6

BlindOneArmGuy wrote:

I've noticed that sometimes it won't charge when you plug in the type-c cable, you need to take the battery out and put it back in to get it working. I'm using a mac charger too btw

I actually ran into this issue too last night -- which was strange.  Seems like a firmware bug.

kvn x ush's gear list:kvn x ush's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
Martin Muehlemann

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

symphonicsky wrote:

Most powerbanks supply 2 or 2.4A. Thats the whole trick. And it has to be a proper USB-C connector. Blue USB3 connector. I found grey ones too. They will deliver only 2.4A even if they have a USB-C connecor on one end.

Cheers

Martin

I must correct myself. Using a correct USB - USBC cable that has the SS'> sign, works even with 2.4A

My powerbank does charge the Cam

33 min for 10%

20'000 MAh
5V/2.4A Output max

Images can be found here
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aru_K2b1sc1xgfgB5HQzzaarT9Dryg

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +11 more
rseldomridge Forum Member • Posts: 75

Just incase anybody was wondering... I got the official Canon PD-E1 USB-C adapter (it's included with the battery grip) and the output listed on it is 5V/3A and 9V/3A.

I also tested it with my Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C battery which outputs 5V/3A and it works fine.

Martin Muehlemann

rseldomridge wrote:

I also tested it with my Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C battery which outputs 5V/3A and it works fine.

How fast does that battery pack charge the cam?

quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,004

DPR posted sample photos of the RF 35mm recently. It looks pretty good.

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Imperialeagle New Member • Posts: 1

Thanks for this post. You have saved me lots of money in stopping me buy the Canon expensive USB-C cable.  My iPad chargers my Camera nicely, after removing the battery and reinserting it. I was pulling my hair out before.

PD or Power Distribution and 3 amp, seem to be important for connecting a charger too and I now find my iPad Pro charger also works. Thank you.

wmlele Regular Member • Posts: 223

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

symphonicsky wrote:

USB originarily did not support more than 500mA. It actually called for a limitation to the current to much less than that value unless negotiated, and use polyfuses to make sure the device didn't draw more under any condition.

Then, as devices clearly needed more, a few non standard ways appeared to overcome the limitation. Some were well designed, some just trash.

Eventually, USB power delivery defined the framework for supplying more current to the device. Canon uses it, so it will work with a charger with USB PD.

It will not work with any of the non-standard technologies, and will not just draw current hoping nothing blows up.

wmlele's gear list:wmlele's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS R
joenj Contributing Member • Posts: 874

kvn x ush wrote:

That is one of the features I miss most. Lets hope for the firmware update ...

shu_myj New Member • Posts: 1

I can charge the battery in the EOS R by no USB-C type PD.

I tried to charge the battery using the usb-lightning cable and the USB-C Adapter iOS Lighting Cable (Female) to USB Type C (Male). Any power source of usb can be used. For example, iPhone battery charger, low power battery charger (for Bluetooth kit), windows PC usb(2.0,3.0).

Changing adapter is very cheep 5$(2 packs).

Hublot New Member • Posts: 21

shu_myj wrote:

I tried to charge the battery using the usb-lightning cable and the USB-C Adapter iOS Lighting Cable (Female) to USB Type C (Male). Any power source of usb can be used. For example, iPhone battery charger, low power battery charger (for Bluetooth kit), windows PC usb(2.0,3.0).

Yeah, the guy at the Canon shop also told me that any USB-C to USB-C cable will do fine.

Not too sure if it applies to all USB-C but i have a feeling that not all cables are created equal. 

RonRaymond Regular Member • Posts: 426

Hublot wrote:

shu_myj wrote:

Yeah, the guy at the Canon shop also told me that any USB-C to USB-C cable will do fine.

Not too sure if it applies to all USB-C but i have a feeling that not all cables are created equal.

I have the RP the battery is 7.2 volts I'm wondering if a Samsung Fast Charger will do it they output 5 Volts or 9 Volts.

If anybody tried this let us know.

RonRaymond's gear list:RonRaymond's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +3 more
Hublot New Member • Posts: 21

RonRaymond wrote:

Hublot wrote:

shu_myj wrote:

I have the RP the battery is 7.2 volts I'm wondering if a Samsung Fast Charger will do it they output 5 Volts or 9 Volts.

If anybody tried this let us know.

Does the Samsung Fast Charger has a USB-C port outlet? If so, might be worth a try as long it it USB-C to USB-C cable.

But if USB-A to USB-C, then probably it is not going to work.

lawny13 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,029

Pretty much power on demand adapter work. While the rest is questionable/unknown.

you can even get a PD car charger and it should work (though I haven’t tried one yet)

Rawpaul
Rawpaul Senior Member • Posts: 2,292

lawny13 wrote:

Pretty much power on demand adapter work. While the rest is questionable/unknown.

you can even get a PD car charger and it should work (though I haven’t tried one yet)

I use a Samsung note charger it works fine

-- hide signature --

light is the source of all life.....

Rawpaul's gear list:Rawpaul's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads