Testing P1000 vs. B700 wide angle

Started Oct 11, 2018 | Discussions
threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,449
Testing P1000 vs. B700 wide angle

One of problems with these zooms is that they are not very good at scenics. And I think this test shows that issue with the P1000. I'm not trying to un-sell the P1000. Just saying what others have found that the P1000 looks like paint when you pixel peep wide angle shots. This is probably because of the 16MP sensor vs. the 20MP of the B700. While the 20MP can introduce more noise, it does have a slight advantage for resolving wide angle shots. And yes the lighting had changed slightly, but I think you will see the difference when you pixel peep. The P1000 loses a lot definition in the trees and low brush. Both of these are at ISO 100. I purposely chose a photo with lots of changing contrast.

Also pixel peep the pine trees back of the B-ball hoop. You can see the difference there as well. I took several shots and they all looked the same.

P1000-24mm Straight out of the camera

B700-24mm Straight out of the camera

P1000-100% crop.

B700-100% crop

Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,318
Re: Testing P1000 vs. B700 wide angle

..Great testings & pictures!

..to my eyes, both cameras seems to process the images similarily..

..the slight differences, maybe due to a bit more "light" available in the B700 images.. (see below examples)..

..however, the B700 with a few more megapixels available, does seems to have an "edge"..

..take a look at the available "light" at the treetops.. (below are screen capture crops)..

..P1000..

..B700..

..P1000..

..B700..

..Cheers..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon PowerShot SX70
alandalsong Regular Member • Posts: 180

Good comparison.

But look at this 1:1 crop side by side in LR, see the traffic signs?

Straightly downloaded from the original post, no process done

alandalsong's gear list:alandalsong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
alandalsong Regular Member • Posts: 180

Sorry for crashing responds.

I haven't been able to get any decent scenic or landscape shots out of P1000. Is this shortcoming intrinsically limited by the sensor size and is there any way to overcome?

I'll continue to look for other users' successful results and hopefully I can learn and use.

alandalsong's gear list:alandalsong's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D700 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
E_Davies
E_Davies Regular Member • Posts: 308

First two are hard to judge as lighting and shot settings are a bit different but they are close.

Second set the P1000 shows more detail.

Could be slight differences in focus point but considering its comparing 16mp vs 20mp the P1000 does VERY well...

E_Davies's gear list:E_Davies's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
threed123
OP threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,449

I realize this might not be an exact comparison. I will take more tomorrow if the sun is out. Thanks for your comments!

threed123
Re: Testing P1000 vs. B700 wide angle - updated pics

I took the same sequence today, but in the exact same light. The wide angles on the P1000 are still a little mushy when zoomed in vs. the B700. The P1000 begins to shine with more zoom, but still, the B700 can keep up better than I thought it would.

These are large files. I didn't want to compress much. Both cameras were set to standard custom controls for contrast, sharpness, saturation. etc. in Program Mode. All pics are straight out of the camera with no post except for cropping where indicated.

P1000-24mm

B700-24mm

P1000-185mm

B700-200mm

P1000-3,000mm max zoom

B700-1,440 max zoom

B700-3,000mm equiv. crop of 1,440mm zoom. Although loses pixels on the crop, still holds up against the P1000, plus gives better depth of field.

P1000-3,000 plastic bag wrapped around weed.

B700-2,880mm

jshen808

..Great testings & comparisons!

..in my opinion, both the B700 & P1000 are good imaging tools..

..to my eyes, the images they produce looks "similar".. with the P1000 seems to sharpen a bit more at default.. and the B700 seems to have a bit more saturated colours at default..

..see the below screen captures at 100% zoomed in..

..P1000..

..B700..

..P1000..

..B700..

..because of testings of the B700 from you and others here.. I'm also acquiring a B700 (used), and will be a nice addition to my small collection..

..Cheers..

threed123

jshen808 wrote:

..to my eyes, the images they produce looks "similar".. with the P1000 seems to sharpen a bit more at default.. and the B700 seems to have a bit more saturated colours at default..

..P1000..

..B700..

..P1000..

..B700..

..because of testings of the B700 from you and others here.. I'm also acquiring a B700 (used), and will be a nice addition to my small collection..

..Cheer

I tend to agree on the zoomed in pics. On the wide angle, the B700 seems to be better because it has more pixels and can be blown up more and still maintain sharpness. But when zoomed in, the P1000 sharpens more--good catch. The B700 is great for carrying around for general shooting. Very light weight and holds it own. They both have their place.

jshen808

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

I tend to agree on the zoomed in pics. On the wide angle, the B700 seems to be better because it has more pixels and can be blown up more and still maintain sharpness. But when zoomed in, the P1000 sharpens more--good catch. The B700 is great for carrying around for general shooting. Very light weight and holds it own. They both have their place.

..Yes, agreed!

..Cheers..

JMoochie Contributing Member • Posts: 500

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

There is a lot to be said for having different cameras for different purposes. I was considering selling my 24-1000mm Fuji HS50 if I got a bigger super zoom. It focuses well up to around 500mm, but has a heck of a time locking on above that. But I'm very happy with its performance below 500mm.  Assuming the Nikon B700, P950's et al do much better above 500mm, then it is worthwhile keeping my Fuji for the sub-1000 mm occasions and getting one of the >1000mm options for my super-duper zoom.  And of course, the Samsung S9+ for everyday carry.

JMoochie's gear list:JMoochie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P950 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S9+ +3 more
jshen808

Jerry Mucci wrote:

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

There is a lot to be said for having different cameras for different purposes. I was considering selling my 24-1000mm Fuji HS50 if I got a bigger super zoom. It focuses well up to around 500mm, but has a heck of a time locking on above that. But I'm very happy with its performance below 500mm. Assuming the Nikon B700, P950's et al do much better above 500mm, then it is worthwhile keeping my Fuji for the sub-1000 mm occasions and getting one of the >1000mm options for my super-duper zoom. And of course, the Samsung S9+ for everyday carry.

That's very interesting about your HS50 camera's auto-focus above 500mm.

With the Nikon's superzooms, generally the suto-focus is generally very good.

But with the longer end of the zooms, there's always chance of some focus-hunting.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
(Feel free to download my pictures)
*** Trash-talker won't rule us! ***

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

There is a lot to be said for having different cameras for different purposes. I was considering selling my 24-1000mm Fuji HS50 if I got a bigger super zoom. It focuses well up to around 500mm, but has a heck of a time locking on above that. But I'm very happy with its performance below 500mm. Assuming the Nikon B700, P950's et al do much better above 500mm, then it is worthwhile keeping my Fuji for the sub-1000 mm occasions and getting one of the >1000mm options for my super-duper zoom. And of course, the Samsung S9+ for everyday carry.

But with the longer end of the zooms, there's always chance of some focus-hunting.

Cheers!

"But with the longer end of the zooms, there's always chance of some focus-hunting."

The longer end of the zoom of my Fuji is 500-1000mm = focus hunting or stability management, not sure which.

My assumption: The longer end of the zoom of the Nikon P950 is 1500-2000mm. Therefore (I assume, eh eh) that BELOW the longer end of the zoom, below 1500mm, it does a decent job of quick, accurate focus and stability management. Is that an accurate assumption?

In other words, with the Fuji at 1000mm handheld, the image has movement which impacts focus ability and clarity. I suspect that the Nikons and perhaps the Canon have superior stabilization systems compared to my 7-year old Fuji. I read many instances where the 950 is stable, handheld, well above 1000mm.

This is exactly what most reviews don't provide. They fail to compare specific camera characteristics, like "focus-hunting" at X mm range with other similar cameras. They just say "it does focus hunting at the higher end of its range." Don't they all! How much/compared to what, beginning where?

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P950 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Samsung Galaxy S9+ +3 more
jshen808

Jerry Mucci wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

Cheers!

"But with the longer end of the zooms, there's always chance of some focus-hunting."

The longer end of the zoom of my Fuji is 500-1000mm = focus hunting.

My assumption: The longer end of the zoom of the Nikon P950 is 1500-2000mm. Therefore (I assume, eh eh) that BELOW the longer end of the zoom, below 1500mm, it does a decent job of quick, accurate focus. Is that an accurate assumption?

This is exactly what most reviews don't provide. They fail to compare specific camera characteristics, like "focus-hunting" at X mm range with other similar cameras. They just say "it does focus hunting at the higher end of its range." Don't they all! How much/compared to what, beginning where?

The Nikon superzooms uses Contrast Detection auto-focus.

So generally, in good light, even at 2000mm, the AF works good.

However, it's when in poor lighting, or certain darker colors, that's where problems may arise.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

Cheers!

My assumption: The longer end of the zoom of the Nikon P950 is 1500-2000mm. Therefore (I assume, eh eh) that BELOW the longer end of the zoom, below 1500mm, it does a decent job of quick, accurate focus. Is that an accurate assumption?

However, it's when in poor lighting, or certain darker colors, that's where problems may arise.

Cheers!

The quality of the image stabilizer is also likely an important factor in the ability of the camera to have reliable focus at long mm's. I'm wondering if the stabilizer in the Nikon 950/1000 is superior to that in my Finepix HS50.  I would think it would be superior by a factor of at least 1 or 2 f stops.

jshen808

Jerry Mucci wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Jerry Mucci wrote:

threed123 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

..Cheer

Cheers!

Cheers!

The quality of the image stabilizer is also likely an important factor in the ability of the camera to have reliable focus at long mm's. I'm wondering if the stabilizer in the Nikon 950/1000 is superior to that in my Finepix HS50. I would think it would be superior by a factor of at least 1 or 2 f stops.

I'm not certain by "how much",

but can say the P950 have the best stabilization,

when compared to the previous generations of Nikon superzooms.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads