Third Party Sony Batteries

Started 1 week ago | Discussions
Barry Duggan Photography
Barry Duggan Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Third Party Sony Batteries

What is everyone's opinion of third party batteries for a7 cameras?

Is it better to stick with Sonys?

I heard people recommend 'Wasabi' batteries.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Barry.
Twitter - @barrydduggan
Website - barryduggan.com
Email - barrydduggan@gmail.com

Barry Duggan Photography's gear list:Barry Duggan Photography's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pennyfan
Pennyfan Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Third Party Sony Batteries

I'm using Wasabi battery as spare, no problem so far.

Only downside I've heard from long term user is when they get old, they don't hold charge as good as genuine batteries.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Bob Austin Regular Member • Posts: 149
Wasabi batteries

Been using Wabasi for a number of years on the early series.  Now ordered a couple for the Sony A7iii.  Perhaps not as long a charge as Sony--but have held up just as well and a fraction of the price.

Bob Austin's gear list:Bob Austin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a6500 Sony a7 III +27 more
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 1,601

Barry Duggan Photography wrote:

What is everyone's opinion of third party batteries for a7 cameras?

Is it better to stick with Sonys?

I heard people recommend 'Wasabi' batteries.

Barry,

I use X Pro, Duracell, Blumax  NP-FW50s and they seem to be as good as the Sony ones. The one thing I do not like about the Sony A7ii that I use as well as the A6000 is they way the batteries drain even while the cameras are turned off. So plenty spares is the only answer to that, only taking the battery out when not in use ensures no drain.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P7000 Sigma dp2 Quattro Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 +4 more
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695

In another battery thread it was mentioned that it might be better to buy 3rd party brands rather than possibly getting "fake" Sony batteries - which are all over the place apparently. But I've also heard of Wasabi batteries being faked as well believe it or not!

In any event - I have 8 FW50 batteries mostly Sony but a couple Wasabi (for RX10 and A7RII) - barely used/not used but bought to have extras for events. They all work just fine. Never once an issue - I would just charge them up before a job and grab whatever ones came out.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III
dan_darkroom New Member • Posts: 11

KE_DP wrote:

In another battery thread it was mentioned that it might be better to buy 3rd party brands rather than possibly getting "fake" Sony batteries - which are all over the place apparently. But I've also heard of Wasabi batteries being faked as well believe it or not!

That's why I prefer no-name rather than brand batteries - unless they are from an authorized source.

I just bought a Chinese A7 battery for $6.50. Will see how that lasts and how long it holds the charge. But for that price, if in doubt, one can buy simply two batteries.

vyoufinder
vyoufinder Senior Member • Posts: 1,092

I have used tons of brands over many years and had problems with a total of two of them and had to get my money back because they weren't recognized by my camera. I've had about 50 total in the past 15 or so years, so that's about 1% failure rate. I prefer the aftermarket batteries to the Sony ones, which I use last. This is because they last hold more juice (more milliamp hours.)

I was thinking recently that I probably saved enough money to buy one body.  Here's a selection of brands I trust.  They seem to last about 2-3 years before they won't hold a charge so well anymore.

-- hide signature --

Your focus is your reality

vyoufinder's gear list:vyoufinder's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Sony Alpha a7S II Canon Pixma Pro-10 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Bridge CS6 +135 more
agfa100 Regular Member • Posts: 475

Third party batteries seem to work ok, the only really bad battery I have is a "Fake Sony" the packaging was really good but the battery was much lighter then the OE or the third party batteries I had and did not last or hold a charge.

agfa100's gear list:agfa100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha a7S Canon Pixma Pro-100
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,141
Now getting a warning on my A7R3 with third party batteries.

Noticed that after the FW update, I get a warning message when powering on warning me about using non Sony batteries.   Not sure if it is a one off, or happens at random.  I didnt happen prior to the FW update.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon D500 Sony Alpha a7R III +19 more
asdf photographer Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Now getting a warning on my A7R3 with third party batteries.

The a9 also has this warning after last fw update.  Very annoying.

7 months ago, I got a couple "DSTE" batteries with charger.  Both work as well as the brand new OEM I bought at the same time.

asdf photographer's gear list:asdf photographer's gear list
HP Photosmart 320 Ricoh Caplio G3 Samsung Digimax 130 +1 more
cpugourou Regular Member • Posts: 247

The wasabi ones are as good as the sony.

Not sure for the other ones and they are a ton of really bad ones on the market.

Stick to wasabi.

cpugourou's gear list:cpugourou's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +6 more
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,141

So this happens when change the file format - not consistently though.  To be honest this might have also been present on the old firmware but I just didn't notice.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon D500 Sony Alpha a7R III +19 more

Tim O'Connor wrote:

So this happens when change the file format - not consistently though. To be honest this might have also been present on the old firmware but I just didn't notice.

Typical in order to have customers afraid.

Soon, using a third party battery will avoid your warranty...

Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +6 more
DJohnny Contributing Member • Posts: 515

cpugourou wrote:

Typical in order to have customers afraid.

Soon, using a third party battery will avoid your warranty...

I believe this is exactly why they have this message.  It can probably activate some software switch that lets Sony know you used 3rd party battery in the camera if if gets sent for service.

As for Sony vs 3rd party... Sony generally perform better in the long run.  I bought some Wasabi batteries for my nex5n way back in maybe 2012.  Those batteries drain faster in storage (like sometimes 5% - 10% overnight) and they seem to lose charge more rapidly as the battery levels get down.  The three Sony from the same time perform nearly as well as the ones I got with my a7s and the 4 or so I purchased from B&H.

If I were to recommend a 3rd party battery for your a7, I would go for the RAV Power batteries with dual charger.  The charger is AMAZING!  It dual charges simultaneously.  I also use an Anker portable power bank that can also plug into a wall.  This allows me to charge on the go if needed (usually churches do not have accessible receptacles) and also gives me the option of plugging in at reception time.  I cannot speak of the batteries, as I have not used a third party since 2014, but they have a bit more weight than the wasabi.  I keep them in my bag just in case, but my battery management is good enough to where I do not need more than 4 total batteries to stay above 30% for an entire wedding (photo or video).

DJohnny's gear list:DJohnny's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha a7S Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +15 more
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,367

Considering all reports there have been about batteries catching fire in different situations, it's not very surprising that a manufacturer of anything that's battery powered want's to make sure they don't get issues from bad batteries.

Third party, cheap, batteries without overload protection etc. is common. Now they have told you.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more

apersson850 wrote:

Considering all reports there have been about batteries catching fire in different situations, it's not very surprising that a manufacturer of anything that's battery powered want's to make sure they don't get issues from bad batteries.

Third party, cheap, batteries without overload protection etc. is common. Now they have told you.

This is a mythe for camera batteries.

For a cel phone to overheat because of a huge battery drainage, it can be true for 1 in a million.

For a camera battery that has a very low battery drainage, there are virtualy zero chance even with a poor quality battery. They do have a short circuit protection however.

I have never seen a camera catch fire due to battery overloading. Despite being a "bionz" whatever you name it, sony camera processors a very very very slow circuits and use 1% of the battery compared to the sensor, AF and the evf beeing the one using the most power.

TDL2024 Regular Member • Posts: 169

Heard too much about bad batteries or batteries that perform really poorly for the Z batteries, so I opted to go OEM for those.  Been using 3rd party with the older NPFW50's though, never had an issue.

TDL2024's gear list:TDL2024's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Kansas Ron Senior Member • Posts: 2,111

See SonyAlphaRumors.com for article about the 2.0 firmware update and third-party batteries.

-- hide signature --

(See profile for equipment)

texdpl Contributing Member • Posts: 613

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-a7iii-and-a7riii-f2-0-firmware-causes-issues-with-third-party-batteries/

Comments after this article are interesting.  I guess it is clear now that the users know a lot more about what battery to use than Sony does.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
AZheaven Forum Member • Posts: 57

So we spend a good deal of money on a Sony camera, some who really cannot afford one but do anyway, like me. We sing high praises on G and GM lenses and spend the money because we want sharp photos and bokeh, no matter the cost. But buy a $78. original battery???? GOOD GOD!!!! WHY WOULD I DO THAT WHEN THERE IS ONE FOR SO MUCH LESS???!!! I would only buy an original battery. 3rd party batteries always seem to come up with issues. Even in Nikon world there are 3rd party battery issues.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads