Top display purpose

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,849
Re: Well. I am confused....

Just went to Photography Gear Exhibition locally. Nikon was the big player. Was able to handle and shoot; Z7/Z6, 24-70 f4 S, 35 f1.8 S , 50 1.8S , FTZ with 70-200 2.8E FL, 300 f4 E PF and 105 f1.4E. Cool. No memory card but I would take shots of a bridal Couple Hired models dressed in trad. Black suit and White Bridal gown with the Z bodies and then my Sony a7iii. Sony required some tweeking but not a lot in it.

OK, when powered off the top display was totally blank. The Rep ( a long time Nikon Pro for Nikon India and I went through the menus and changed settings but top display remained blank when camera switched off. Any advice on which setting? We could change the lighting of the screen and there is no way to bring on the light (in the dark) by using the off/on switch.

I was very impressed with EVF and auto ISO and Auto WB, Funny but the a7iii , which I had with me, fit my hand better since it as Lim's leather half case. My son, also a good photographer felt the same otherwise the Z cameras felt great and loved controls and menu access.

Decisions

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,853

tommiejeep wrote:

Just went to Photography Gear Exhibition locally. Nikon was the big player. Was able to handle and shoot; Z7/Z6, 24-70 f4 S, 35 f1.8 S , 50 1.8S , FTZ with 70-200 2.8E FL, 300 f4 E PF and 105 f1.4E. Cool. No memory card but I would take shots of a bridal Couple Hired models dressed in trad. Black suit and White Bridal gown with the Z bodies and then my Sony a7iii. Sony required some tweeking but not a lot in it.

OK, when powered off the top display was totally blank. The Rep ( a long time Nikon Pro for Nikon India and I went through the menus and changed settings but top display remained blank when camera switched off.

The top display turns off when the camera is turned off. Why would you want it to continue to be on? Would just drain power unnecessarily. (Surprised Nikon rep didn't know this.)

Any advice on which setting? We could change the lighting of the screen and there is no way to bring on the light (in the dark) by using the off/on switch.

I was very impressed with EVF and auto ISO and Auto WB, Funny but the a7iii , which I had with me, fit my hand better since it as Lim's leather half case. My son, also a good photographer felt the same otherwise the Z cameras felt great and loved controls and menu access.

Decisions

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon Z7 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 25,908

bhollis wrote:

The top display turns off when the camera is turned off. Why would you want it to continue to be on? Would just drain power unnecessarily. (Surprised Nikon rep didn't know this.)

It stays on with the GFX 50S. Doesn't seem to drain the battery more than MILCs with no top display.

-- hide signature --

Posted as a regular forum member.
https://blog.kasson.com

JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 +5 more
bhollis

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

It stays on with the GFX 50S. Doesn't seem to drain the battery more than MILCs with no top display.

Maybe the GFX 50S uses a different technology--a la e-ink? My understanding is that the top display on the Zs is OLED, and unless I'm missing something, OLED consumes power whenever it's on.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the GFX 50S does indeed use e-ink for the top display.

Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon Z7 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Re: Top display purpose

I shoot manual with auto-iso so it’s very convenient to adjust aperture and shutter and see the iso update accordingly, before raising or shooting from low.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
JimKasson

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Maybe the GFX 50S uses a different technology--a la e-ink? My understanding is that the top display on the Zs is OLED, and unless I'm missing something, OLED consumes power whenever it's on.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like the GFX 50S does indeed use e-ink for the top display.

Fujifilm seems to be confused on that point:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx_50s/features/page_03.html

On the D850 the top display shows some, but not all, information when it's powered off.

Jim

-- hide signature --

bhollis

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx_50s/features/page_03.html

On the D850 the top display shows some, but not all, information when it's powered off.

Jim

Several sites report this as being an e-ink display, but a quick search didn't turn up anything from Fuji confirming this. So who knows.

Personally, I'm having a hard time seeing the utility of having your camera display settings when it's off, particularly if the camera is drawing power, however minuscule, to do this. What am I missing?

SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 861

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

Several sites report this as being an e-ink display, but a quick search didn't turn up anything from Fuji confirming this. So who knows.

Personally, I'm having a hard time seeing the utility of having your camera display settings when it's off, particularly if the camera is drawing power, however minuscule, to do this. What am I missing?

I would like to check the status of my camera, even without having to turn it on:

- battery status,

- how many shots left

- is my camera ready, i.e., are the settings where I expect them

bhollis

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

I would like to check the status of my camera, even without having to turn it on:

- battery status,

- how many shots left

Most of the time, I'm not really going to care about any of these things unless I'm about to start shooting--in which case I'll turn the camera on.  But to each their own I suppose.

SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 861

bhollis wrote:

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

- battery status,

- how many shots left

Most of the time, I'm not really going to care about any of these things unless I'm about to start shooting--in which case I'll turn the camera on. But to each their own I suppose.

My point is that your camera should be ready before you decide to start shooting. You camera may go to sleep or you turn it off during the shooting, but you still want to check that your settings are right. Maybe that is more important for wildlife photography where you may wait for hours, with your camera ready. With Nikon DSLRs, I typically turn it on from time to time to verify that I have the right settings. Of course, you do not need it if you have a good memory.

VladimirCZ Regular Member • Posts: 280

bhollis wrote:

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

- battery status,

- how many shots left

Most of the time, I'm not really going to care about any of these things unless I'm about to start shooting--in which case I'll turn the camera on. But to each their own I suppose.

The thing is that once a camera is turned on all necessary information is already available on the back LCD and in this case the top LCD is just another display on a camera that already has 2 displays (EVF and Back LCD).

bhollis

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

- battery status,

- how many shots left

My point is that your camera should be ready before you decide to start shooting. You camera may go to sleep or you turn it off during the shooting, but you still want to check that your settings are right. Maybe that is more important for wildlife photography where you may wait for hours, with your camera ready. With Nikon DSLRs, I typically turn it on from time to time to verify that I have the right settings. Of course, you do not need it if you have a good memory.

Again, to each his/her own.

bhollis

VladimirCZ wrote:

bhollis wrote:

SrMi wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

bhollis wrote:

Jim

- battery status,

- how many shots left

The thing is that once a camera is turned on all necessary information is already available on the back LCD and in this case the top LCD is just another display on a camera that already has 2 displays (EVF and Back LCD).

I don't use the back LCD to display settings, unless I'm going into i settings or the menus.  Just use the top panel. I find it more convenient, and it also uses much less power.

JimKasson

VladimirCZ wrote:

Sony has a whole line of cameras for people who think as you do. Isn't variety great?

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

Sony has a whole line of cameras for people who think as you do. Isn't variety great?

Jim

It is, indeed!:) I just see it as a missed opportunity. It would be really useful to have an e-ink display that can stay always on and draw power on information refresh only. In my case I usually check a camera for battery charge and free space on a card and It'd be very cool to be able to check that information without  even touching a camera.

JimKasson

VladimirCZ wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

Jim

It is, indeed!:) I just see it as a missed opportunity. It would be really useful to have an e-ink display that can stay always on and draw power on information refresh only. In my case I usually check a camera for battery charge and free space on a card and It'd be very cool to be able to check that information without even touching a camera.

Then you may want a GFX. But the 50R doesn't have a top display. That's one of the ways they saved money on it.

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

Jim

It is, indeed!:) I just see it as a missed opportunity. It would be really useful to have an e-ink display that can stay always on and draw power on information refresh only. In my case I usually check a camera for battery charge and free space on a card and It'd be very cool to be able to check that information without even touching a camera.

Then you may want a GFX. But the 50R doesn't have a top display. That's one of the ways they saved money on it.

Jim

I'm wondering if there are any technical limitations for implementing small e-ink displays on cameras and lenses (Batis line uses oled). I don't believe e-ink + controller should cost a lot as some 6"  e-readers are very cheap.

mcabato Senior Member • Posts: 2,113
Re: Top display purpose

If you sit in the car and the z with mounted 4/600 lies on the seat beside you it is nice to see the main settings on top display w/o needing to grip the combo and lift hose 5 kg for looking into the main display.

mcabato's gear list:mcabato's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +15 more
Special Circumstances
Special Circumstances Forum Member • Posts: 93

VladimirCZ wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

Jim

Jim

I'm wondering if there are any technical limitations for implementing small e-ink displays on cameras and lenses (Batis line uses oled). I don't believe e-ink + controller should cost a lot as some 6" e-readers are very cheap.

I don’t think it’s a financial limitation and probably more along the lines of visual aesthetics be that the screen resolution and/or how quickly the display can change. After all e-ink displays tend to be largely static pages from a book and relatively poor resolution. Nikon may simply not like the “look” of then on top of their shiny new camera.

OLED does continually draw power, however minuscule, and I’d rather not have it draining my battery when it’s sitting at home doing nothing. Nikon could put a power off timer option into the camera if they went that route and I assume achievable through a FW update.

The LCD display on my D600 switches off when you turn the camera off so it’s not a new decision by Nikon

Special Circumstances's gear list:Special Circumstances's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads