This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2018

Started Oct 8, 2018 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2018

My apologies for the late renewal of this thread - I was mostly offline for the past weeks but hope to contribute more again soon.

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2018: Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7R II Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 +19 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,159
A mixture of recent stuff

anything with the exif saying FT1 for the lens is taken with a Sigma 70-200mm/2.8, the contacts are taped so the lens will work

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Western marsh harrier

Western marsh harrier

... in a flock of starlings.

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,532
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - October 2018

Monument aux Girondins, Bordeaux

Crowds of people taking pictures in front of this monument so I decided to go round the back, I think it worked quite well.

goactive Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

A few from the past week.

-- hide signature --

Started shooting digital back with the first 2MP cameras. Over 20 cameras later still going. I shoot family and people portraits, weddings, Sports and a little of everything.

goactive's gear list:goactive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499
Birthday card

Spread your wings and fly

I had a go at pp, usually just use sooc jpg, with a photo for my sons birthday.

It’s a Tufted Tit-tyrant, known locally as a Cachudito. Hope someone likes it.

Cheers,

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V2 +8 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,494
Late night music practice...

A few family shots again. With 18.5 and 32mm.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
John Brustrom New Member • Posts: 7

I just returned from a photography workshop in the Adirondack Park and Forest Preserve, NY last week. This was my first major outing with my new (used) Nikon 1 J2 with the 10-30 mm lens. I bought both online for the princely sum of $138 USD.   I researched and practiced making panoramas and HDR images. I am definitely hooked on RAW images because of so much detail that can be recovered in Lightroom.  C&C welcome!

One Red Leaf - Majors Pond, Upper Saranac Lake Franklin County, Adirondack Park & Forest Preserve, NY

Rollins Pond State Campground Franklin County, Adirondack Park & Forest Preserve, NY

Bog River Falls, St. Lawrence County Adirondack Park & Forest Preserve, NY

John Brustrom's gear list:John Brustrom's gear list
Nikon 1 J5
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 470
The Invisible J5

no - not another moan session about the demise of the N1.

i have been using V2's and V1's for a long time - they are my 'travel' kit. I also have a J5 which, having failed to use it successfully with the CX70-300 ( simply because I like EVF's and couldn't get along with LCD hoods ) I had put it to one side.

I was looking for a very small camera to just slip into a jacket pocket and was mulling the usual ( expensive ) suspects when I remembered the J5 and found a 10-30 PD to put on it.

Had a half hour to kill in town in the wet and I had brought it out with me:

I had forgotten what a brilliant little camera it is and so easy to use shooting from the waist, say.

But - the main thing is, that for the first time I felt totally invisible with the cam. - no second looks from anyone - and believe me I know how it feels to try using a DSLR or even an em5 in town.

Even though the 10-30 is not the brightest of the bunch - I find the IQ fine ( for me ). Might try it with the 10/2.8 next.

Just some tourist snaps from a wander around ( nb I am not a 'street photographer - I don't do candid portraits - just town / street scenes ). All OOC - could tweak them a bit

Richard

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,532
Re: The Invisible J5

I like these, they capture the atmosphere. Well done. I had the 10 2.8, to be honest the only thing going for it is size, it let me put my V1 in a reasonably small belt case, otherwise, optically I felt it did not bring much more than the 10-30 at 10mm (11-12mm is sharper as reported here) I think they are right.

regards

Gary

Re: The Invisible J5

Miss tilly wrote:

I like these, they capture the atmosphere. Well done. I had the 10 2.8, to be honest the only thing going for it is size, it let me put my V1 in a reasonably small belt case, otherwise, optically I felt it did not bring much more than the 10-30 at 10mm (11-12mm is sharper as reported here) I think they are right.

regards

Gary

thanks Gary - as i said just some quick tourist shots. from your comment about the 2.8/10 maybe i'll stick with the 10-30pd

richard

John Brustrom New Member • Posts: 7

So I upgraded my used J2 to a used J5 a week ago and waited for a clear night to take a memorable night shot for its first frame.  First I had to find a really dark location around my area that had little to no light pollution (easier said than done!).  Fortunately I had brought my headlamp because it really WAS dark out last night.  Stumbling around in the dark on hidden tree roots is not a good thing to do.  TL;DR:  Nikon 1 J5, ISO 800, 10 sec,, f/4, 27 mm (equiv), no exp bias, manual focus.

Girts Road, Jamestown NY on 10/14/18.

John Brustrom's gear list:John Brustrom's gear list
Nikon 1 J5

Really good shot John,  Just enough moonlight to give the hedging / trees in the foreground some actual presence rather than just shadow - and nice judgement of exposure between the moon and the starfield - without blowing out the former completely -well its allways going to be overexposed in this sort of scene.

richard

yatakk Regular Member • Posts: 102
Re: Late night music practice...

VadymA wrote:

Love these! Would you share how you do this type of photography? How to expose correctly, correct light and backgrounds and so?

MarcoGV Junior Member • Posts: 28
Two Dogs in the Neighborhood

I do not own pets.  Saturday was a clear and dry day in the Midlands of South Carolina, so I decided to walk out in the neighborhood with my son, Nikon 1 S1, the 10-27.5 lens, and the 30-110 lens, looking for things to photograph.  A neighbor who was walking two dogs gave me permission to photograph them.  I like how they seem to have different personalities and different attitudes towards the camera.  This was taken with the 10-27.5 at maximum length and cropped slightly.  C&C welcome!

MarcoGV's gear list:MarcoGV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S02 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
Bijankc Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: J-5 and 10-30 PD Zoom

CHEERS !!!

-- hide signature --

BIJAN

Bijankc's gear list:Bijankc's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 J5 +5 more

yatakk wrote:

VadymA wrote:

Love these! Would you share how you do this type of photography? How to expose correctly, correct light and backgrounds and so?

Thank you for the compliment. I am too lazy to invest in proper light tools, even in a good flash. So what I usually do when I feel like actually doing something is use my table and floor lamps to illuminate the subject. These are lamps that have metal shades, like piano lamps and reading lamps.    I just move them closer to the subject and turm the way I want the subject to be illuminated. The benefit of metal shades is that they leave the rest of the room very dark, allowing to create natiral black “backdrop”. My next trick is to use manual exposure and underexposed by about 0.5 to 1.0 stop, usually I try different settings until I find the look that I like. Underexposure keeps the rest of the room in black and create dramatic play of bright and dark which I really enjoy. I am not into having everything illuminated in the picture. The key is to find the right balance between ISO and shutter speed to avoid excessive motion blur and noise, especially with smaller sensor camera, like N1. And that’s about it, usually I can see on the screen if I like the look, and then there is not much left to do in PP other than usual raw conversion steps. Hope this helps.

Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
My Dad's wiener tree!

Look at the tree on the left, it has been a long running joke in the family.

-- hide signature --

- JJ

Roses and Pineapples

In dark rendition again 

yatakk Regular Member • Posts: 102

VadymA wrote:

Thank you for the compliment. I am too lazy to invest in proper light tools, even in a good flash. So what I usually do when I feel like actually doing something is use my table and floor lamps to illuminate the subject. These are lamps that have metal shades, like piano lamps and reading lamps. I just move them closer to the subject and turm the way I want the subject to be illuminated. The benefit of metal shades is that they leave the rest of the room very dark, allowing to create natiral black “backdrop”. My next trick is to use manual exposure and underexposed by about 0.5 to 1.0 stop, usually I try different settings until I find the look that I like. Underexposure keeps the rest of the room in black and create dramatic play of bright and dark which I really enjoy. I am not into having everything illuminated in the picture. The key is to find the right balance between ISO and shutter speed to avoid excessive motion blur and noise, especially with smaller sensor camera, like N1. And that’s about it, usually I can see on the screen if I like the look, and then there is not much left to do in PP other than usual raw conversion steps. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! Really helpful. I will certainly try this. Big fan of  how these images look!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads