Pentax! Rumor going out of business

Started Oct 7, 2018 | Discussions
Luis Fonseca Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: Pentax! Rumor going out of business

Alex Sarbu wrote:

The last such rumor I'm aware of was from the beginning of 2017. Hmm...

(obviously, Pentax didn't die that time either)

So no new rumours that Pentax is closing?

This can only mean one thing: Pentax is doomed!

Have fun,

Luis

P.S. And in a way it is doomed as we all are. Our Sun will turn into a Nebula in 5 bilion years (or is it trillion?)

Luis Fonseca's gear list:Luis Fonseca's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
MikePursey Junior Member • Posts: 41

Luis Fonseca wrote:

P.S. And in a way it is doomed as we all are. Our Sun will turn into a Nebula in 5 bilion years (or is it trillion?)

Humanity will be wiped out well before then.

MikePursey's gear list:MikePursey's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +35 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,680

MikePursey wrote:

Luis Fonseca wrote:

Humanity will be wiped out well before then.

I give humanity 50 years at the rate things are progressing.

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,500

Russell Evans wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

I need pro support like canon cps. It's 100% essential and non negotiable. It saved me too many times. Im a nut and travel with 3 same bodies of each camera. Those who understand... have been to hell and back once in their career.

With three bodies, it seems you are already sort of self insured against body issues. What do you need pro support for? Faster repair queue? next day loaner? something else?

I do need next day or 2 day repairs, loaners, 24/7 phone support, and evaluation units for new equipment.

I can't imagine any of the brands of less expensive MF systems having a pro service like this. I think you will have to spend a lot more money upfront on equipment to get such, which sort of makes me wonder if there is a business case to be made for buying the less expensive system, but with redundant equipment, to sort of self support your needs? If you have to spend $50,000 instead of $10,000, that leaves quite a bit of room to be a little more creative. Of coarse the $50,000 and $10,000 arn't real numbers, I'm just wondering if there are numbers where it does make sense.

Exactly my thought.

tvstaff wants a "cheap" medium format camera with EXPENSIVE kind of support.

Either you buy several of the "cheap" camera and provide your own support or you buy the super expensive cameras and get the support from them. That is the choice.

And this has nothing to do with rumors about Pentax shutting down. This is the reality and has always been and will be so even if Pentax do not go down.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,576

Thank you Pentax for absorbing the doom predictions for this week! Micro Four Thirds was really getting hammered last week, and we needed a break.

I own both systems, so I get a double dose. When will I wise up, and stop wasting my time on these forums?!

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

Gary Martin wrote:

Thank you Pentax for absorbing the doom predictions for this week! Micro Four Thirds was really getting hammered last week, and we needed a break.

I own both systems, so I get a double dose. When will I wise up, and stop wasting my time on these forums?!

I own both systems as well.  I also usually read the "doom and gloom" threads.  I suppose one could just decide to avoid such threads, but what would be the fun in that? 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +113 more
solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,807
To the OP: you're okay

Of course, not taking aim at the OP... who didn't think ahead to not touch off the inevitable torch-fest.

I do wish ahead that you'll find the system that works for you if it exists.

Best wishes

-- hide signature --

It's difficult thinking outside of the box because thinking is the box.
Paraphrasing Dr. Gabor Maté quoting Michael Braun.
Science... became Scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilber
Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous - Albert Einstein

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,416
Re: To the OP: you're okay

solarider wrote:

Of course, not taking aim at the OP... who didn't think ahead to not touch off the inevitable torch-fest.

Best wishes

The Torch fest brigade is getting quite aggressive lately, very few people left to balance them out. As Pentax users are dropping out one by one, they will be the only ones left on the forum....

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more

DS21 wrote:

solarider wrote:

Best wishes

The Torch fest brigade is getting quite aggressive lately, very few people left to balance them out. As Pentax users are dropping out one by one, they will be the only ones left on the forum....

Sorry - but I see no torch fest. The situation has been clearly explained to the OP.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more

Roland Karlsson wrote:

DS21 wrote:

solarider wrote:

Best wishes

Sorry - but I see no torch fest. The situation has been clearly explained to the OP.

Some of the replies to the OP were quite nasty, though. And in most cases the reaction was generally hostile.

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more

DS21 wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

DS21 wrote:

solarider wrote:

Best wishes

Some of the replies to the OP were quite nasty, though. And in most cases the reaction was generally hostile.

Checking, there are now lots of replies I have not read (and do not plan to read).

So - maybe you have a point.

The posts I have read have been mainly helpful.

Some have questioned his need for a high level pro service. Which I think is OK. The 645Z is much less expensive than cameras that do have a pro service with the level he wants.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

DS21 wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

DS21 wrote:

solarider wrote:

Best wishes

Checking, there are now lots of replies I have not read (and do not plan to read).

So - maybe you have a point.

The posts I have read have been mainly helpful.

Some have questioned his need for a high level pro service. Which I think is OK. The 645Z is much less expensive than cameras that do have a pro service with the level he wants.

The trouble with 645Z is, there was a pro level support when the camera came out. It was called Pentax 645Z Advantage Platinum Program, for $2000, and it included service and loaners on body and 3 D-FA lenses. But, it was discontinued, in a same way the 645Z program now seems abandoned by Ricoh.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 873

For less than two years of the discontinued Pro Service at 2K a year, you could buy another z body and a lens or two.  Ready spares beat Pro Service every time.

noel2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,024

Luis Fonseca wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Have fun,

Luis

… it is 5 billion…

And, by then,  we probably will no longer be using Pentax...

noel2's gear list:noel2's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sony a7R III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +24 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,542

noel2 wrote:

Luis Fonseca wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Have fun,

Luis

… it is 5 billion…

And, by then, we probably will no longer be using Pentax...

I don't know, I don't plan to jump ship...

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Atindra Veteran Member • Posts: 7,408

Well, It is going out of Business since I bought my first DSLR, Pentax K100D. I don't know how deep they are in business but still the transition of them going out is not completed yet.

Yes couple of owners of Pentax Brand name changed but I think Ricoh is a big company than it looks. Ricoh doesn't do much advertising, in fact Pentax as a brand never advertised much aggressively as other Pro camera brands.

Regards,

Atindra

Atindra's gear list:Atindra's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,542

Atindra wrote:

Yes couple of owners of Pentax Brand name changed

Funny the OP is mentioning Hasselblad, which is now largely owned by a drone manufacturer

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
asahi man Contributing Member • Posts: 995

tvstaff wrote:

I'm thinking of buying A 645Z and I'm reading rumors that Pentax might be going out of the camera business. Who do you believe???? Could my investment in the platform be better with

Hasselblad????

It's time to put this senseless speculation to an end...

Nope,Pentax will not going out of photo business...

There is a very, very internal roadmap.... Cameras and lenses...

A nice fullframe line up is in sight, no sign for going out of business.

Next year is the big anniversary,don't forget this point.

I know,the most forum users here, will be surprised.

Best regards and Kanpai

asahi man wrote:

tvstaff wrote:

I'm thinking of buying A 645Z and I'm reading rumors that Pentax might be going out of the camera business. Who do you believe???? Could my investment in the platform be better with

Hasselblad????

There is a very, very internal roadmap.... Cameras and lenses...

A nice fullframe line up is in sight, no sign for going out of business.

Next year is the big anniversary,don't forget this point.

I know,the most forum users here, will be surprised.

Best regards and Kanpai

Thanx for the insights Asahi Man.

How about 645?

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Gee Emm Regular Member • Posts: 119

asahi man wrote:

Thanks asahi man, for the most useful contribution in a very sorry thread.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads