Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom
1

I can recreate this issue every time. It seems like a possible bug, but I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing it.

I have my Z7 setup on viewfinder priority so that the live view screen only comes on if I click the button to review photos.

Often after taking a shot, I will click the review button to see the shot. I sometimes zoom in on the shot to see if it's in focus, well lit, etc.

With my new Z7, I take a shot, hit the playback button to see the most recent photo, then click the "+" icon to zoom in. After that, I use the multi selector buttons to move around the zoomed in photo. This is where the bug happens. As I am moving around the zoomed in photo, the screen flashes seriously. Not some minor flicker, but full blackout and back on flashing. Sometimes it totally blacks out the screen and it won't come back on until I move to another location on the zoomed in photo.

If I go to the previous photo (the second to the last one I shot), it works fine. And if I go to the second to the last one, then back to the first one, it works fine too. There seems to be something about the most recently shot photo that the camera is tripping on. This issue it not time related, because I can wait 10+ seconds after my most recent shot and the issue will still happen with the most recently shot photo.

Again, to reproduce it you need to shoot, review on the live view, zoom in, and then scroll around on the photo - all on the most recent photo you shot.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? It's quite annoying, and somewhat worrying, but not a fatal issue because I can go one photo back and then come back to the most recent photo and it works again.

Thank you.

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dave2400
Dave2400 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

not

 Dave2400's gear list:Dave2400's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D70 Nikon D2X Nikon D7000 +18 more
OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Just Figured Out How To Trigger This Issue With Older Photos

Can't edit my previous post, but I am shooting RAW (max sized with compression) only, no JPG.

I just figured out that I can trigger the flashing and blackouts with all photos on the card by doing the following:

Shoot a photo.

Click the Playback button.

Zoom in on the photo and move around using the multi selector buttons. This triggers the issue on the most recently shot photo.

While still zoomed in on the most recent photo, use the Main Command Dial to scroll between photos at the selected zoom level. On the other photos, use the multi selector buttons to scroll around. On my Z7, all photos scrolled to while zoomed in on the most recent photo will also show flashing and blackouts while moving around them.

Not sure what is causing this. I tested multiple cards, formatted the cards, etc.

commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,113
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom
1

TreeForest wrote:

I can recreate this issue every time. It seems like a possible bug, but I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing it.

I have my Z7 setup on viewfinder priority so that the live view screen only comes on if I click the button to review photos.

Often after taking a shot, I will click the review button to see the shot. I sometimes zoom in on the shot to see if it's in focus, well lit, etc.

With my new Z7, I take a shot, hit the playback button to see the most recent photo, then click the "+" icon to zoom in. After that, I use the multi selector buttons to move around the zoomed in photo. This is where the bug happens. As I am moving around the zoomed in photo, the screen flashes seriously. Not some minor flicker, but full blackout and back on flashing. Sometimes it totally blacks out the screen and it won't come back on until I move to another location on the zoomed in photo.

If I go to the previous photo (the second to the last one I shot), it works fine. And if I go to the second to the last one, then back to the first one, it works fine too. There seems to be something about the most recently shot photo that the camera is tripping on. This issue it not time related, because I can wait 10+ seconds after my most recent shot and the issue will still happen with the most recently shot photo.

Again, to reproduce it you need to shoot, review on the live view, zoom in, and then scroll around on the photo - all on the most recent photo you shot.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? It's quite annoying, and somewhat worrying, but not a fatal issue because I can go one photo back and then come back to the most recent photo and it works again.

Thank you.

There is a sensor near the EVF that turns it on/off when you put your eye up to it.  I've noticed while using the touch screen that it is easy to have a finger fall in front of the sensor, which turns the display off and the EVF on.  So I would try again being more aware of where your other fingers are

 commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

Thank you for the reply.

This issue is not related to fingers or eyes hitting the sensor. It is happening on the Live View screen, not the viewfinder, and it only happens under very specific conditions as listed in the original post. I can reproduce it every time by following those steps.

My camera could be faulty, but I don't want to return it if it's a system issue.

Thank you again.

OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
More Testing: Bug Only Appears Using "Prioritize Viewfinder" & "Focus Point" Display Off in Playback
1

I have been doing more testing. If I use the following setting, I get the bug:

Prioritize Viewfinder

In the following modes, I do not get the bug:

Automatic Display Switch
Viewfinder Only
Monitor Only

I have tried both of these "Playback Display Options":

Overview
None (Image Only)

In both cases, I get the bug. But if I turn "Focus Point" display on in "Playback Display Options", then the bug goes away in these two modes.

This might be a case where you have to have all of the right settings to trigger some strange issue, not sure.

If anyone else can reproduce the error, please let me know. In the meantime, it looks like I can turn the Focus Point display on in playback options and mask the issue.

Thank you again.

commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,113
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

TreeForest wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

This issue is not related to fingers or eyes hitting the sensor. It is happening on the Live View screen, not the viewfinder, and it only happens under very specific conditions as listed in the original post. I can reproduce it every time by following those steps.

My camera could be faulty, but I don't want to return it if it's a system issue.

Thank you again.

Just to confirm, try it with the viewfinder turned off

 commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom
2

I noticed the same ... I think it is a bug and it also happens if you shoot just raw.

WRONG

I had the same, but I tried now and no matter the mode it does not happen again. I have been playing with various settings, no clue which one did the trick.

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/fpessolano
Want to rent my gear via gearbooker? Drop me a PM

 fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more
OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

commiebiker wrote:

TreeForest wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

This issue is not related to fingers or eyes hitting the sensor. It is happening on the Live View screen, not the viewfinder, and it only happens under very specific conditions as listed in the original post. I can reproduce it every time by following those steps.

My camera could be faulty, but I don't want to return it if it's a system issue.

Thank you again.

Just to confirm, try it with the viewfinder turned off

SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

TreeForest wrote:

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

<snip>

I have seen it too occasionally in situations as described. It looks like an LCD refresh software bug: the screen is cleared and redrawn as you pan around. You should not see that it gets cleared (black) and redrawn.

jaba Contributing Member • Posts: 861
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

SrMi wrote:

TreeForest wrote:

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

<snip>

I have seen it too occasionally in situations as described. It looks like an LCD refresh software bug: the screen is cleared and redrawn as you pan around. You should not see that it gets cleared (black) and redrawn.

Try to do RAW + Basic, it should disappear.

 jaba's gear list:jaba's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +16 more
OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
More Testing On "Playback Display Options"

In case a Nikon engineer reads this thread, I found another strange thing:

If you go into the "Playback Display Options" menu and turn on the following three options only:

Focus Point
Overview
None (image only)

Then take a photo, the bug only appears when the view without the focus point is shown as the first view after clicking the Playback button. Whichever view you used last is shown first when you hit the Playback button. So, if you have the Focus Point view or the Overview selected last, the bug does not appear to be triggered. If you have the clean view with no data and no focus point, the bug is triggered.

Thank you.

SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

jaba wrote:

SrMi wrote:

TreeForest wrote:

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

<snip>

I have seen it too occasionally in situations as described. It looks like an LCD refresh software bug: the screen is cleared and redrawn as you pan around. You should not see that it gets cleared (black) and redrawn.

Try to do RAW + Basic, it should disappear.

Thank you for the tip. It is not always reproducible. If I see it in the review, I can turn the camera off and on, and the 'blinking' disappears with the next magnified review. Definitely a bug.

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,946
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

Not seeing it on mine. No issue here.

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,519
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

TreeForest wrote:

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

It seems like you've got it narrowed down enough that you should file a support issue with Nikon and hopefully that will help get it on the radar of the bug fix team at Nikon.

-- hide signature --

John

OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

Thank for the suggestion. I just filed a support request with Nikon explaining the issue in detail. Hopefully they have someone who can do testing based on the specific criteria.

At this point, I'm pretty sure this is a Nikon software bug, not a camera issue because I can easily turn the bug on and off by changing specific settings in the camera menus. Also, the fact that it happens only with the most recently shot photo in a set - and only on views that don't add any extra overlay data - makes me think that there is some issue with the last preview not being fully finishes or something like that.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

jfriend00 wrote:

TreeForest wrote:

Yes, you're right, it only happens in "Prioritize Viewfinder" mode, not in "Monitor Only" mode. However, I can hold the camera at arm's length from my body and it still happens 100% of the time as described in the original post. However, I have discovered that if I turn on "Focus Point" in the Playback settings (so that the red Focus Point is displayed in playback), it never happens. That makes me think it's more likely to be some kind of software bug rather than an issue with my specific camera.

It seems like you've got it narrowed down enough that you should file a support issue with Nikon and hopefully that will help get it on the radar of the bug fix team at Nikon.

OP TreeForest Forum Member • Posts: 69
Bug Appears To Be Resolved With Firmware 1.02
4

This issue was reported to Nikon at the same time that I started this thread.

It appears to be resolved with the release of Firmware 1.02.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/4325059778/nikon-has-a-new-firmware-update-for-the-nikon-z7

Looks like it was probably this named issue:

"Fixed an issue that caused the display to flicker if pictures were scrolled during playback zoom after the user had taken pictures using the viewfinder with Prioritize viewfinder selected for monitor mode and then removed his or her eye from the viewfinder before starting playback."

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread.

Tkpatel New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Just Figured Out How To Trigger This Issue With Older Photos
  1. Dear friends, i bought Nikon Z6 and it got same problem..but i removed i cup from view finder and clean the sensor with clean dry cloth...and problem solved..mini dust particles on sensor cause the problem. U should try the same .may be it works
JZ7 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom

I’ve been filming in 1080p, 60fps, monitor only, manual mode, a lot recently (January 2019) and the monitor has been exhibiting the same exact issues. Yesterday, January 11th, it went nuts with the black screen in and out. Fortunately the black screen didn’t show on footage but because I had it on a gimbal, not connected electronically at all, it was frustrating as hell while capturing. To add insult to injury, the white electronic screen zaps that pop up on the lcd now and then, DO show up on the footage.

TheNIKON Z7” !!!

I mean...really?!?

SrMi
SrMi Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Z7 Bug? Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom
1

JZ7 wrote:

I’ve been filming in 1080p, 60fps, monitor only, manual mode, a lot recently (January 2019) and the monitor has been exhibiting the same exact issues. Yesterday, January 11th, it went nuts with the black screen in and out. Fortunately the black screen didn’t show on footage but because I had it on a gimbal, not connected electronically at all, it was frustrating as hell while capturing. To add insult to injury, the white electronic screen zaps that pop up on the lcd now and then, DO show up on the footage.

TheNIKON Z7” !!!

I mean...really?!?

This thread discusses "Flashing Screen & Blackouts While Reviewing Most Recently Shot Photo With Zoom". Are you talking about flashing while reviewing or while capturing?

The flashing and blackout during reviews seem to have been fixed with firmware 1.0.2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads