Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
TheBeard614 New Member • Posts: 13
Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two. If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

So I guess the question is to pair the Zeiss 35mm with the FE 85mm and Samyang 24mm. Or pair the Zeiss 35mm with the Tamron zoom. I don’t mind carrying extra lenses and I’m liking the images I am getting and seeing online shot with primes. Thanks for any comparisons you guys have.

TheBeard614's gear list:TheBeard614's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8
Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,559
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

TheBeard614 wrote:

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two. If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

So I guess the question is to pair the Zeiss 35mm with the FE 85mm and Samyang 24mm. Or pair the Zeiss 35mm with the Tamron zoom. I don’t mind carrying extra lenses and I’m liking the images I am getting and seeing online shot with primes. Thanks for any comparisons you guys have.

I have been shooting fashion/glamour professionally for the past 15 years and just moved over to Sony. I have not yet tested the Tamron but I own the 85 f/1.8 and it is a fantastic lens. I would recommend it over the Tamron simply because primes are always sharper than zooms and its less expensive. Having said that, the Tamron also looks quite good in the portrait tests I have seen on Youtube. I am a prime only shooter though. You may want a zoom at some point for events though as its more handy and you aren't as concerned about sharpness.

DaFireMedic Senior Member • Posts: 1,347

I have both. Obviously, the Tamron is more versatile with the ability to go wider as needed. In terms of pure IQ and sharpness, the Tamron is good for a zoom, but the Sony is a bit better IMO.

I usually shoot indoor sports, and I bought the Tamron as a fast zoom to cover the range below the 70-200 2.8. I like the zoom for the ability to not have to change lenses when shooting action. It works great for this, and I can (and have) shot portraits with it as well. I love the lens.

But if the situation allows for the 85mm focal length, I’ll choose the Sony every time. It looks a tad sharper to me (although it usually takes pixel peeping to tell) and it has the faster aperture.

If I could only have one lens, I’d choose the Tamron. But if I shot mainly portraits, the Sony is the better lens for this purpose.

DaFireMedic's gear list:DaFireMedic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
cpugourou Regular Member • Posts: 286

I have both.

The 85 is superb for portraits. No need for the gm 1.4.

The tam is as sharp as the 85 @ 75 and more versatile, and 2.8 is ok for portraits when not having the 85.

Get both...

For the price of a gm, pick the tam, the 85 and the zony 16-35. You will have the best complementary lenses combo around.

And if you can, get the 100-400 and avoid the 70-200. With those 4 lenses, you will cover everything.

Mirrorless allows for very advanced telephoto that are fantastic lenses nowdays and as sharp as primes in about all cases. Exept being slower but with oss and modern ibis, it s not a problem any more for sharpness, bokeh aside.

cpugourou's gear list:cpugourou's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +6 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,383

TheBeard614 wrote:

My light carry is the 35 and 85 and or the 28-75 and 85, so I’d recommend both 😜

golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,159

TheBeard614 wrote:

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two.

pure sharpness I would give edge to 85 but the tamron isn't far behind. Outside of maximizing still lifes I think this is pixel peeping to pixel peep

If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

pass. The samyang 35 is a good buy. The 24.......well it is small and cheap. It is decent at a few spots but overall the lens isn't great.

So I guess the question is to pair the Zeiss 35mm with the FE 85mm and Samyang 24mm. Or pair the Zeiss 35mm with the Tamron zoom. I don’t mind carrying extra lenses and I’m liking the images I am getting and seeing online shot with primes.

It sounds like you actually want the Tamron. Just wait for it. They are starting to catch up. I had to wait almost two months after ordering mine. If your not going to shoot the 85 wide open I don't think you will miss it

Thanks for any comparisons you guys have.

good luck

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Onur Otlu
Onur Otlu Forum Member • Posts: 70

I was in a similar situation when I first got the A7 - I had the kit lens and planned to add the 35 2,8 followed by 85 1,8, but I was wondering if it would make more sense to get the Tamron and kind of cover all three lenses.

I think I’ll stray from this upgrade path (I think I’ll get the 55 1,8 after the 35 2,8, and if I do get the 85 1,8, it will be much later) but I’ll still follow this thread to hear people’s opinions.

-- hide signature --

"Us, and them - And after all, we're only ordinary men.."

Onur Otlu's gear list:Onur Otlu's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Lawlu New Member • Posts: 2

I’m looking to shoot indoor sports as well, but have to save for the 70-200. Have you tried the 28-70 f2.8 on the APS-C setting to (in-effect) double the focal length and if so,how does it perform/look at full length?

norman shearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

golfhov wrote:

TheBeard614 wrote:

I was looking to get the Sony 85mm 1.8 for portrait work and have some reach for events to pair with me Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take a lot of images while hiking (most of my photos) but want to get into more portraits and events. I know the Tamron is still out of stock for the most part but I was thinking of getting it instead of the 85mm so I would have a bit wider than 35mm to use outdoors for waterfalls and landscapes but also get the reach to 75mm. Does anyone have both the fe 85mm 1.8 and the Tamron that could comment on the sharpness between the two.

pure sharpness I would give edge to 85 but the tamron isn't far behind. Outside of maximizing still lifes I think this is pixel peeping to pixel peep

If the 85 1.8 is that much better I will probably get it than a Samyang 24mm to hold me over on the wise end.

pass. The samyang 35 is a good buy. The 24.......well it is small and cheap. It is decent at a few spots but overall the lens isn't great.

I'd concur with this statement. The Samyang AF 35/2.8 is clearly sharper than the Samyang AF 24/2.8. I'd only go for the Samyang 24mm if you need small/light.

norman shearer's gear list:norman shearer's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 IV +8 more

Lawlu wrote:

I’m looking to shoot indoor sports as well, but have to save for the 70-200. Have you tried the 28-70 f2.8 on the APS-C setting to (in-effect) double the focal length and if so,how does it perform/look at full length?

I personally have not for a couple of reasons. First, aps-c mode on my a7iii drops the resolution to 10 mp. Second, you lose a stop of light, which I really don’t want when shooting indoors under mediocre lighting. 2.8 can be borderline for indoor sports as it is depending on the arena.

I use an adapted Tamron 70-200 2.8 when I need longer than the standard zoom. I am saving up for the 70-200 2.8 GM now, but will likely bail on that plan for the Tamron should they announce a native 70-200 2.8 before I buy the GM.

Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
norman shearer Senior Member • Posts: 1,165

DaFireMedic wrote:

Lawlu wrote:

I personally have not for a couple of reasons. First, aps-c mode on my a7iii drops the resolution to 10 mp. Second, you lose a stop of light, which I really don’t want when shooting indoors under mediocre lighting. 2.8 can be borderline for indoor sports as it is depending on the arena.

I use A7R2 and found the 18MP files on a level with an m43 camera I had with me so I consider the aps-c mode a gimmick. May as well just crop the FF image. Same goes for tele-converters - they degrade the image and look no better than a crop would. Difference is your AF is compromised and your aperture and you are out of pocket the cost of the TC, which in some cases is rather pricey. The only good TC would be one that is designed for one lens and one lens only, otherwise it will compromise image quality.

norman shearer's gear list:norman shearer's gear list
Samsung EX2F Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX1R Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 IV +8 more
jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

You don’t loose light in APSC mode.

jor23 wrote:

You don’t loose light in APSC mode.

I guess you don’t, my mistake. I never really considered it an option.

zstekar Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: I have both and...

...Regardless of the lighting condition, the dedicated 85 f/1.8 delivers a smoother bokeh (a bit less busy) and has that button for eye auto focus. It is also sharper, with more definition. My images concur...The Tam is just more versatile, that’s all...

zstekar's gear list:zstekar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +5 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,591

You're not far off budget from a 24-70GM + FE 85 1.8. May just be able to do the GM; 5mm is no big deal.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Harold_Lee
Harold_Lee Forum Member • Posts: 79

I also have both. My gear set is quite the same with you three months ago LOL. (I have a7ii and Zeiss 35mm at that time)

I purchased the 85mm first and was really impressed by the sharpness of this lens.

I then purchased the Tamron lens. And since it covered 35mm f/2.8, so I tested the sharpness against Zeiss and find the differences are hardly noticeable. Therefore I sold the Zeiss.

Personally, I would recommend Tamron if you can only buy one lens. But if you decided to sell your Zeiss 35mm I'd say get both. 85 for portrait and Tamron for events. And if you miss the compact design, maybe you can get a Samyang version, it is on sale for $249 now (brand new), much cheaper than the Zeiss.

Harold_Lee's gear list:Harold_Lee's gear list
Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony a7 II Sony a6400 Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang AF 50mm F1.4 FE +1 more
DI_Jeff Regular Member • Posts: 187

I have both the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 and the Tamron 28-75mm.

The Tamron is slightly sharper than the 35mm F2.8.  So, it I pack the Tamron, I leave the 35mm F2.8 at home. No advantage to take both.

But I love the 35mm F2.8 when I want a compact rig.

DI_Jeff's gear list:DI_Jeff's gear list
Sony RX100 IV NEX-5T Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +9 more
pianoman481973 New Member • Posts: 7
Re: I have both and...

do you have images to comparing them ?

pianoman481973's gear list:pianoman481973's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T3
PhotoW Junior Member • Posts: 44

I own both, and they're both phenomenal. If you could pick up both, they're both definitely worth it. Otherwise, it really depends on what you want to shoot more often. I shoot events and portraits, so I need both, but, if the 35 is your portrait lens, you might not need the 85 unless you needed the reach for something else.

You can still get decent portrait results with the Tamron at 75mm, but there isn't that much of a difference to me between 28 and 35, just a few steps back if you can afford it (which I usually can).

You could also try the 28 f/2 with the 85 if you don't actually need a zoom. You can even go wider with the 20/21mm or 16 mm add-ons. I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard it's pretty good at 28, don't know about the extensions.

You also need to think about the shooting experience. I generally enjoy shooting with the 85 far more than with the Tamron, but I use the Tamron for 95% of my work. Try both if you can and see which one you like more, they're both plenty sharp.

PhotoW's gear list:PhotoW's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
jcm56 Junior Member • Posts: 32

I have both, just bought the Tamron recently, so tested them against each other. I dont have the files any more, but I wrote down that the FE85mm was clearly sharper than the Tamron at 75mm. Also less distortion. Its particularly clear at the edges and the corners. But I shoot landscape, so it might be a bit different, as I'm always shooting at more or less infinity.

A lot of people will tell you that the Samyang 24mm is very poor, especially, I suspect, people who have never used one. I have a good copy of it, and at 24MP especially its really not bad at all, at least for landscape, at f8-11. If I'm careful how I use it, I can get images which are very similar to the Batis 25mm, except for a little bit of smear in the extreme corners, and less contrast, which I make up for by increasing the contrast and clarity a touch in ACR. Its the fact that it weighs just 95g that makes me keep it for hiking. You could have a Samyang 24mm, a Samyang 35mm (even better than the 24mm) and an FE 85mm and it would weigh exactly what the Tamron does!

jcm56's gear list:jcm56's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads