Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

I have heard the Sigma 18-35 is a great sharp lens but I had trouble with two Sigma lenses when I had the D5600. I tried both the 17-70 f2.8 and the 17-55 f2.8 but they both were very blurry and out of focus on my D5600, I'm not sure if it's a compatabiltity issue with these new range of Nikon cameras or what was the problem. But I'm loathed if I will ever try another Sigma lense after my experience.

I'm contemplating on buying the cheap Nikon 10-20mm AFP Lens for the D3400, if it's as sharp as my Nikon 18-55mm AFP VR it could be a great lens focal range wise.

I agree with you about the lack of the AA Filter certainly improves the sharpness from these newer 24MP DX sensors. I wish the D750 didn't have the AA filter.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
OP Serjojeee Contributing Member • Posts: 998

rpps wrote:

I have heard the Sigma 18-35 is a great sharp lens but I had trouble with two Sigma lenses when I had the D5600. I tried both the 17-70 f2.8 and the 17-55 f2.8 but they both were very blurry and out of focus on my D5600, I'm not sure if it's a compatabiltity issue with these new range of Nikon cameras or what was the problem. But I'm loathed if I will ever try another Sigma lense after my experience.

I'm contemplating on buying the cheap Nikon 10-20mm AFP Lens for the D3400, if it's as sharp as my Nikon 18-55mm AFP VR it could be a great lens focal range wise.

I agree with you about the lack of the AA Filter certainly improves the sharpness from these newer 24MP DX sensors. I wish the D750 didn't have the AA filter.

With the help of USB dock those newer lenses can be calibrated quite nicely but at F1.8 AF tolerances are high. In my tests it looks like i can get 80% of perfect focus shots. That's not that low but it's not high either.

Speaking of AA filters, I believe that it's better to get rid of those with higher than 50 MP bodies. Cause there is not only moire but also false colors and other imperfections associated with the lack of AA filter. Maybe it'll be good to give people the choice like with D800/e, but 24MP are mainstream cameras.

Like in this photo:

It's sharp but moire is everywhere on the clothes. And with some type of materials it's in all your shots here and there. The 50-100 is even sharper and therefore even more prone to moire and false colors.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

With the help of USB dock those newer lenses can be calibrated quite nicely but at F1.8 AF tolerances are high. In my tests it looks like i can get 80% of perfect focus shots. That's not that low but it's not high either.

Speaking of AA filters, I believe that it's better to get rid of those with higher than 50 MP bodies. Cause there is not only moire but also false colors and other imperfections associated with the lack of AA filter. Maybe it'll be good to give people the choice like with D800/e, but 24MP are mainstream cameras.

Like in this photo:

It's sharp but moire is everywhere on the clothes. And with some type of materials it's in all your shots here and there. The 50-100 is even sharper and therefore even more prone to moire and false colors.

Beautiful image Serjojeee, my eyes are naturally drawn to the face that it took me a while to see the moire on the coat and that was only that you mentioned it, I don't think I would be too disappointed in that photo.
I mainly shoot Landscapes so I doubt if I will see much moire.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more

rpps wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Like in this photo:

Beautiful image Serjojeee, my eyes are naturally drawn to the face that it took me a while to see the moire on the coat and that was only that you mentioned it, I don't think I would be too disappointed in that photo.
I mainly shoot Landscapes so I doubt if I will see much moire.

Thanks! As Helmut Newton used to say - all photos are getting better if you add a beautiful woman there.)

For landscape photographers cameras without AA filter win hands down. Lots of tiny details an textures. But IMO life is easier for them cause you can use manual focus small lenses optimized for resolution mostly. Shooting people is more demanding for AF and ergonomics cause you always change parameters on the fly. For some shots you need DOF, for some - shutter speed. That AF basically is what I'd like to upgrade cause I have trust issues with Sigma paired to D7200. Spray and pray is not the best way of shooting IMO. Nikkor lenses paired to Nikon bodies might be integrated better. Cause I mostly here "consistent AF" from the users of that combo.

incrediblehark Regular Member • Posts: 312

You've had a lot of comments so far, so I'll be brief. I really like my Nikon 35mm 1.8G FX.  I've used it on 3 bodies, my old D610 and 2 D810's, and it's been excellent. The size, weight and IQ make it pretty much the perfect walkaround lens for the way I shoot (portraits, landscapes, street, etc).  I couldn't be happier to be honest.

incrediblehark's gear list:incrediblehark's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +16 more

incrediblehark wrote:

You've had a lot of comments so far, so I'll be brief. I really like my Nikon 35mm 1.8G FX. I've used it on 3 bodies, my old D610 and 2 D810's, and it's been excellent. The size, weight and IQ make it pretty much the perfect walkaround lens for the way I shoot (portraits, landscapes, street, etc). I couldn't be happier to be honest.

I was not looking for comments)) They are easy to find but it appeared that RAW files of this combo is very hard to find. Everyone has his own personal opinion about IQ, so words are hard to judge. But I got some NEFs from nice people here. Either way, thanks for the feedback! I'll count that as a bonus cause if the AF will be inaccurate for example you'll be not that happy with that lens I believe.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads