Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Started Oct 3, 2018 | Discussions
Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Could anyone be so kind to share some RAW files of this combo. Googled them, but it looks like only JPGs are everywhere. I actually think of buying D750 +35/85 as a temporary solution so I'd like to have an idea of what IQ that combo gives. I'm interested mostly in wide open to F4 IQ cause I believe that at F5.6-11 all modern fixed focal length lenses are decent with 24MP. Thanks in advance!

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Serjojeee wrote:

Could anyone be so kind to share some RAW files of this combo. Googled them, but it looks like only JPGs are everywhere. I actually think of buying D750 +35/85 as a temporary solution so I'd like to have an idea of what IQ that combo gives. I'm interested mostly in wide open to F4 IQ cause I believe that at F5.6-11 all modern fixed focal length lenses are decent with 24MP. Thanks in advance!

I have the D750 and the 35 1.8g lens and it's  wonderfully sharp from f1.8 but if you pixel peep you might be happier with f2.2.

I also have the 24 and the 50 1.8g lenses, out of all three lenses I love the 24mm better just so sharp and something wonderful about the way it renders the photos. You could get the 24mm 1.8G and if you need the 35mm focal length it would only take a small crop and on the D750 and you wouldn't loose any quality.

I will have a look later and see if I can upload some RAW files taken with the 35mm 1.8g.

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

rpps wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

Could anyone be so kind to share some RAW files of this combo. Googled them, but it looks like only JPGs are everywhere. I actually think of buying D750 +35/85 as a temporary solution so I'd like to have an idea of what IQ that combo gives. I'm interested mostly in wide open to F4 IQ cause I believe that at F5.6-11 all modern fixed focal length lenses are decent with 24MP. Thanks in advance!

I have the D750 and the 35 1.8g lens and it's wonderfully sharp from f1.8 but if you pixel peep you might be happier with f2.2.

I also have the 24 and the 50 1.8g lenses, out of all three lenses I love the 24mm better just so sharp and something wonderful about the way it renders the photos. You could get the 24mm 1.8G and if you need the 35mm focal length it would only take a small crop and on the D750 and you wouldn't loose any quality.

I will have a look later and see if I can upload some RAW files taken with the 35mm 1.8g.

Thanks! I'm mostly in doubt cause of huge amount of aberrations that this lens brings. As I see they don't go away with stopping down. But I'd like to actually see how they affect IQ and colors reproduction at micro level. Maybe with 24 MP that is not such a problem actually.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

I'm not sure if this link to some RAW Files I uploaded to Google photos will work but I will give it a try. Not good examples but I was trying to get some photos taken at f2 but in the scenery one I focused on the furthermost point which will make the foreground blurry. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNJOkqoSoemdIFSfc6TSIQ_tWqWmgx2LQ4RHRvK5t9IZMq7Ag-LhxV2v3_n_TwKOA?key=ekFhWWdISWZ1dFVVelduN3pTRkVXSzVaVWViUFhn

I just checked only Jpeg I need something to upload RAW files with

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

rpps wrote:

I'm not sure if this link to some RAW Files I uploaded to Google photos will work but I will give it a try. Not good examples but I was trying to get some photos taken at f2 but in the scenery one I focused on the furthermost point which will make the foreground blurry. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNJOkqoSoemdIFSfc6TSIQ_tWqWmgx2LQ4RHRvK5t9IZMq7Ag-LhxV2v3_n_TwKOA?key=ekFhWWdISWZ1dFVVelduN3pTRkVXSzVaVWViUFhn

There are only 4 jpgs there and it looks like they are heavily compressed that IMO affects textures.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED
 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

rpps wrote:

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnF-34PZSVChp5DgKHK58uV5lxyZ1mwV?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200. I mostly use C1 0.2 radius in a bit lower than in the middle of "amount" slider. It looks like best results with D750 OLPF are in 0.5 radius and a bit higher than middle of "amount" slider. But the bonus is that the picture is smooth with no noise, false colors or moire. I actually thought that edges of the frame will be way sharper.

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,057
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnF-34PZSVChp5DgKHK58uV5lxyZ1mwV?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200. I mostly use C1 0.2 radius in a bit lower than in the middle of "amount" slider. It looks like best results with D750 OLPF are in 0.5 radius and a bit higher than middle of "amount" slider. But the bonus is that the picture is smooth with no noise, false colors or moire. I actually thought that edges of the frame will be way sharper.

I downloaded both images from the beach, which were taken with the old 35mm f/2D lens. IMO the recent 35mm f/1.8G is way better than the old 35mm f/2D.

-- hide signature --

Philip

OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Flashlight wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnF-34PZSVChp5DgKHK58uV5lxyZ1mwV?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200. I mostly use C1 0.2 radius in a bit lower than in the middle of "amount" slider. It looks like best results with D750 OLPF are in 0.5 radius and a bit higher than middle of "amount" slider. But the bonus is that the picture is smooth with no noise, false colors or moire. I actually thought that edges of the frame will be way sharper.

I downloaded both images from the beach, which were taken with the old 35mm f/2D lens. IMO the recent 35mm f/1.8G is way better than the old 35mm f/2D.

So both images from the garden are taken with 35 1.8? The problem is that only the center 5% part is within DOF and that part is of course pretty sharp. Either way, thanks a lot!

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,057
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Serjojeee wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnF-34PZSVChp5DgKHK58uV5lxyZ1mwV?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200. I mostly use C1 0.2 radius in a bit lower than in the middle of "amount" slider. It looks like best results with D750 OLPF are in 0.5 radius and a bit higher than middle of "amount" slider. But the bonus is that the picture is smooth with no noise, false colors or moire. I actually thought that edges of the frame will be way sharper.

I downloaded both images from the beach, which were taken with the old 35mm f/2D lens. IMO the recent 35mm f/1.8G is way better than the old 35mm f/2D.

So both images from the garden are taken with 35 1.8? The problem is that only the center 5% part is within DOF and that part is of course pretty sharp. Either way, thanks a lot!

I just now looked at the garden images but no, they were also shot with the 35mm f/2D, which is stated in the exif. My guess is rpps misread your post due to the mention of 'ED' in the title. The common name of the latest f/1.8 primes is 'XXmm f/1.8G'.

Meanwhile, look at this post with equally processed and equivalent images from D750 (with 50mm f/1.4G) and D7200 (with 35mm/1.8G):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60665614

While I have two D750 cameras and one D7200 (recently added a second hand D5200 for a dedicated purpose) I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to buy a D750 vs a D7200 as a stopgap solution. Wondering what you're waiting for but pray tell...

-- hide signature --

Philip

OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Flashlight wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

Flashlight wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Try this link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YnF-34PZSVChp5DgKHK58uV5lxyZ1mwV?usp=sharing

Thanks a lot! This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200. I mostly use C1 0.2 radius in a bit lower than in the middle of "amount" slider. It looks like best results with D750 OLPF are in 0.5 radius and a bit higher than middle of "amount" slider. But the bonus is that the picture is smooth with no noise, false colors or moire. I actually thought that edges of the frame will be way sharper.

I downloaded both images from the beach, which were taken with the old 35mm f/2D lens. IMO the recent 35mm f/1.8G is way better than the old 35mm f/2D.

So both images from the garden are taken with 35 1.8? The problem is that only the center 5% part is within DOF and that part is of course pretty sharp. Either way, thanks a lot!

I just now looked at the garden images but no, they were also shot with the 35mm f/2D. My guess is rpps misread your post due to the mention of 'ED' in the title. The common name of the latest f/1.8 primes is 'XXmm f/1.8G'.

Meanwhile, look at this post with equally processed and equivalent images from D750 (with 50mm f/1.4G) and D7200 (with 35mm/1.8G):

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60665614

While I have two D750 cameras and one D7200 (recently added a second hand D5200 for a dedicated purpose) I'm not sure there's a compelling reason to buy a D750 vs a D7200 as a stopgap solution. Wondering what you're waiting for but pray tell...

There is also a DX version of 35 1.8G, but only one ED version with that F number. But as I've said, I want to compare this lens to my current rig with my current RAW converter. I know how it behaves after 40k photos from the last 8 months.

I think that it's time to move to FF for some more AF accuracy, DR and DOF control with a bigger viewfinder. I would like to go to the mirrorless from DSLR but I can actually move to future mirrorless Z bodies with DSLR lenses via FTZ adapter that works fine. I actually was pretty sure that it will not but NIkon made a good job with it. As it appears though Z6/7 is a first gen product and in 3 years we'll have mkii version that will be more usable. And for the price of Z6 alone I can buy D750 and 35+85 1.8. Looks like a bargain to me. I don't think that it's a good idea to use my D7200 for three more years cause I'm tired a bit with DX small viewfinder and with Sigma 18-35 ART AF quirks. But I don't want to loose the brilliant IQ that it gives.

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,457
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200.

I had a D7200 before my D750.  Comparing them I think mostly this is due to the AA ("blur") filter in the D750.

OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

bjn70 wrote:

This lens/sensor combo needs way more sharpening than Sigma 18-35 + D7200.

I had a D7200 before my D750. Comparing them I think mostly this is due to the AA ("blur") filter in the D750.

Yes, I think so too. So you should apply sharpening higher in the range cause that pixel level details are erased with OLPF. I used cameras with AA filters so that doesn't amaze me. Pros and cons of AA filters are well known. But after playing with those pictures of 35 F2 I think that it was a good idea to google for raw files on the web. Cause 35 F2 with D750 for example is not on par with 18-35 + D7200.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Sorry but I did download the wrong photos, they were from my old 35D F2, I will today take some more photos using the 1.8G at apertures f1.8 - f5.6 for you.Here's a link to some photos taken with the 35 1.8G but none at lower apertures, also included the same scene taken with the 24 1.8G for comparison.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HWnHgKslk3affF7ShnyT131K2W50OQHb?usp=sharing

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Hi Philip I had a senior moment and when looking through my photos I just saw the 35mm but not the model number of the lens.

I have the D750 and the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 lens, recently in a desire to go lighter and less bulk I bought the 24,35,50 1.8G prime lenses. After using these prime lenses and the great sharp image quality border to border I haven't used the Tamron since.

This week I bought a used D3400 and the wonderfully sharp 18-55 AFP Lens, just love it so light to carry and the combo takes great photos.Plus my FX lenses are wonderully sharp on the D3400.

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
bocajrs
bocajrs Senior Member • Posts: 2,429
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED
1

I typically shoot D750+24-120F4...otherwise my S8+ does the rest.

 bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Samsung Galaxy Note9 +1 more
OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

rpps wrote:

Sorry but I did download the wrong photos, they were from my old 35D F2, I will today take some more photos using the 1.8G at apertures f1.8 - f5.6 for you.Here's a link to some photos taken with the 35 1.8G but none at lower apertures, also included the same scene taken with the 24 1.8G for comparison.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HWnHgKslk3affF7ShnyT131K2W50OQHb?usp=sharing

Looks sharp corner to corner and resolves good at distance closed down. Way better than 35 F2, like in another league IMO. Good lenses give that sense of presence, and that pier is a nice place to chill I believe. Thank you very much, enjoyed looking

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,457
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED
1

I have the D750 and the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 lens, recently in a desire to go lighter and less bulk I bought the 24,35,50 1.8G prime lenses.

The Tamron is a fat pig of a lens.  The 35mm f1.8 is relatively small and light, and on the D750 it is surprising how light the whole combo is, plus 35mm on FF is a very versatile focal length.

rpps Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Sorry but I did download the wrong photos, they were from my old 35D F2, I will today take some more photos using the 1.8G at apertures f1.8 - f5.6 for you.Here's a link to some photos taken with the 35 1.8G but none at lower apertures, also included the same scene taken with the 24 1.8G for comparison.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HWnHgKslk3affF7ShnyT131K2W50OQHb?usp=sharing

Looks sharp corner to corner and resolves good at distance closed down. Way better than 35 F2, like in another league IMO. Good lenses give that sense of presence, and that pier is a nice place to chill I believe. Thank you very much, enjoyed looking

Hi Serjoree, I just took some photos using the Nikon 35mm F1.8G using my Nikon D750 and D3400,from f1.8-f8. I also included one photo from my 24mm f1.8 G lens used on the D3400, which upset me as I know now it's front focusing badly which I can fix on the D750 with Focus Fine Tune but not on the D3400.
I hope this gives you some idea on the performance of the Lens, excuse the subject matter the photos taken just looking out of my window of the street.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YJa_s4cDIZbG20yXp0q2HgAuAllLbxuk?usp=sharing

 rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
OP Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Nikon D750 + Nikkor 35 1.8 ED

rpps wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

rpps wrote:

Sorry but I did download the wrong photos, they were from my old 35D F2, I will today take some more photos using the 1.8G at apertures f1.8 - f5.6 for you.Here's a link to some photos taken with the 35 1.8G but none at lower apertures, also included the same scene taken with the 24 1.8G for comparison.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HWnHgKslk3affF7ShnyT131K2W50OQHb?usp=sharing

Looks sharp corner to corner and resolves good at distance closed down. Way better than 35 F2, like in another league IMO. Good lenses give that sense of presence, and that pier is a nice place to chill I believe. Thank you very much, enjoyed looking

Hi Serjoree, I just took some photos using the Nikon 35mm F1.8G using my Nikon D750 and D3400,from f1.8-f8. I also included one photo from my 24mm f1.8 G lens used on the D3400, which upset me as I know now it's front focusing badly which I can fix on the D750 with Focus Fine Tune but not on the D3400.
I hope this gives you some idea on the performance of the Lens, excuse the subject matter the photos taken just looking out of my window of the street.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YJa_s4cDIZbG20yXp0q2HgAuAllLbxuk?usp=sharing

Thank you so much! That's what doctor ordered - lots of tiny details and D3400 has the same pixel density as D7200 and lacks AA filter so that's basically my D7200 with that lens. It looks like 35 1.8G ED is a bit worse than Sigma 18-35 at 35mm with APS-C 24MP. But paired with D750 that lens is better than D7200 with 18-35 at 24mm for the same field of view. It looks like it's sharp enough by my standards at F1.8, aberrations are quite visible though but not as bad as I expected. I thought based on DXO tests that it'll be on par with my combo with equivalency in mind. But it actually gives better IQ. Numbers say not that much about IQ, you have to see it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads