DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

Started Sep 29, 2018 | Discussions
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,331
Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Viewpoint and Filmpack. I thought DXO Elite was already impressive with the ease of instant "close" correction for RAW processing....then I added the supplement software and was really impressed with the film sims and distortion correction (already good thanks to profiling of my lenses).

When I bought the G9 I knew I would need modern software capable of getting the most from my images without a bunch of fiddling. Daniel Cox of Natural Exposures makes mention of a M43 "triad" with DXO software and I am happy I accepted his (and others) realistic views and guidance.

And of course 30 day free trial .

Just my non-pro opinion.

Yes, Viewpoint is a must-have, and FilmPack is very useful. The Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint is essential with wide-angle images. And I don't think an equivalent automatic correction tool is available elsewhere.

Yes, the volume deformation correction can be vital with some lenses / shots. I am not aware of many other photo editors with this capability.

Ian

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,892

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Viewpoint and Filmpack. I thought DXO Elite was already impressive with the ease of instant "close" correction for RAW processing....then I added the supplement software and was really impressed with the film sims and distortion correction (already good thanks to profiling of my lenses).

When I bought the G9 I knew I would need modern software capable of getting the most from my images without a bunch of fiddling. Daniel Cox of Natural Exposures makes mention of a M43 "triad" with DXO software and I am happy I accepted his (and others) realistic views and guidance.

Just my non-pro opinion.

Yes, Viewpoint is a must-have, and FilmPack is very useful. The Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint is essential with wide-angle images. And I don't think an equivalent automatic correction tool is available elsewhere.

You can do the same with LR's DeHaze. I set it to 25 in this example. While DXO is very good and has a lot of Auto settings LR is not as weak as made out to be. One reason I didn't like DXO when I tried it over the last 10 years. It took over too much for me. I know I could have worked around that but it was what it was.

DeHaze is nothing like DxO Viewpoint. You're confusing it with DxO ClearView, which has a completely different function.

As I said, I don't think LR has an equivalent to DxO Viewpoint's Volume deformation correction tool.

Oops. Sorry. I thought you meant ClearView. My bad. I've never looked at Viewpoint.

I see. I don't know much about it. Not sure how perspective compares to Adobe. I don't use it much. You can create the Brenizer look using PS.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,230

IanYorke wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

Just my non-pro opinion.

Yes, the volume deformation correction can be vital with some lenses / shots. I am not aware of many other photo editors with this capability.

Ian

Affinity Photo has a fairly flexible geometry feature. Not automatic but pretty powerful. I haven't played with Viewpoint but AP is good enough and costs the same as Viewpoint by itself.

A Viewpoint question. Does it know how much to increase the height to avoid the "Arc d'Squat" problem? Other software clearly gets it wrong.

L'Arc D'Squat!!!

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,874
Re: DxO Viewpoint Volume Deformation corrections

Here's an example of how Volume deformation correction can be used.

This is a typical wide angle shot, with people at the edges looking unflatteringly fat. Note that the lens distortion has been corrected; volume distortion happens even with fully corrected images.

Lens distortion corrected, but people at the edges have been stretched into the corners, and look fat. This happens with all wide angle shots.

This can be fixed very easily with DxO Viewpoint:

DxO Viewpoint used to apply horizontal and vertical corrections for volume distortion. Straight lines remain straight.

Viewpoint also offers diagonal volume correction, which looks better with people, but bends straight lines:

Diagonal correction applied: the people are less distorted, but lines are bent.

These automatic adjustments are very easy to apply, and you can decide which type of correction looks better. In this case, I prefer the diagonal correction.

I'm not aware of an equivalent, easy, automatic tool in other RAW editors (it also works with JPEGs).

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

This is a typical wide angle shot, with people at the edges looking unflatteringly fat. Note that the lens distortion has been corrected; volume distortion happens even with fully corrected images.

Lens distortion corrected, but people at the edges have been stretched into the corners, and look fat. This happens with all wide angle shots.

DxO Viewpoint used to apply horizontal and vertical corrections for volume distortion. Straight lines remain straight.

Viewpoint also offers diagonal volume correction, which looks better with people, but bends straight lines:

These automatic adjustments are very easy to apply, and you can decide which type of correction looks better. In this case, I prefer the diagonal correction.

I'm not aware of an equivalent, easy, automatic tool in other RAW editors (it also works with JPEGs).

Thanks for the info.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah people on the outsides can look pretty bad with some WA lenses. Looks pretty good. The only thing I found close in LR is in Transform - Aspect. It shrinks the entire image to bring it in. I don't know enough about it to do it any justice.

Jonsi
Jonsi Senior Member • Posts: 4,115

bsas wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

For me that proves my tests.

Basically, all tools can do everything I need for sure (far more actually).

To be honest, I think the most powerful tool is definitely PS. So, the "combo" LR + PS is by far the most capable set.

But, I don't like to tweak, config, edit, etc (I know, I am probably in the wrong forum :D).

Photography is a hobby for me. I work with computers all day (I am a software engineer), so, the last thing I want in my leisure time is to be in front of a computer software tweaking dials.

The biggest benefit I found on the DxO and that is why I decided to try to switch completely is that the "auto" settings are very close, almost perfect, to what I want. That means: zero to almost no tweaking. And that is valuable for me

My financial logic is quite simple: I will cancel LR+PS monthly subscription ($10 a month) and I will buy the DxO for $149 and I will force myself to keep JUST the DxO for 15 months. Since I ALWAYS backup my RAW files, there is nothing to loose with the "experiment". If I don't adapt completely, I can always go back to the adobe subscription (and I keep the DxO in the trade)...

Isn't the version with PRIME and all that $200?

150 on sale.

Where are you buying it on sale? On the DxO site atm it is $200 for the US (or at least that is where I am accessing the site from), it seems...$150 is a lot more palatable!

They have sales several times a year. I haven't kept close track as I bought on sale about 2.5 years ago. I upgraded about 6 months ago and I recall there was a sale then. I'm in the US, btw.

Ah, I see. It doesn't seem to be on sale atm. I guess you have to time it right.

Yes, this time sale ended on the 30th of September (I think it was a “back to school” sale). But, if you go to their website and monitor they have this 25% off sale regularly.

Long ago I downloaded Optics Pro 11 when they offered it free, and later got an email offering an "upgrade" to Photolab Elite for $129.

Zeee wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah people on the outsides can look pretty bad with some WA lenses. Looks pretty good. The only thing I found close in LR is in Transform - Aspect. It shrinks the entire image to bring it in.

You can see from this example that Viewpoint is much smarter than that. It automatically corrects the volume distortion towards the edges, based on the lens focal length, without adding distortion to the rest of the image. You can, of course, use the slider to control the extent of the correction.

I'd say it's essential to use this tool with every wide angle shot. In fact, you can set it as a default for every image (Viewpoint doesn't correct non-existent distortion, so there's no harm in telling it to correct longer focal length images — it doesn't alter an image that doesn't need correcting).

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,163

Digital Nigel wrote:

Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint, user have to input, correct?

not auto?

phil from seattle wrote:

IanYorke wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

Just my non-pro opinion.

Ian

Affinity Photo has a fairly flexible geometry feature. Not automatic but pretty powerful. I haven't played with Viewpoint but AP is good enough and costs the same as Viewpoint by itself.

A Viewpoint question. Does it know how much to increase the height to avoid the "Arc d'Squat" problem? Other software clearly gets it wrong.

L'Arc D'Squat!!!

I don't think Viewpoint makes this error, and will check tomorrow. I'll try and post some examples.

Digital Nigel wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Yeah people on the outsides can look pretty bad with some WA lenses. Looks pretty good. The only thing I found close in LR is in Transform - Aspect. It shrinks the entire image to bring it in.

You can see from this example that Viewpoint is much smarter than that. It automatically corrects the volume distortion towards the edges, based on the lens focal length, without adding distortion to the rest of the image. You can, of course, use the slider to control the extent of the correction.

I'd say it's essential to use this tool with every wide angle shot. In fact, you can set it as a default for every image (Viewpoint doesn't correct non-existent distortion, so there's no harm in telling it to correct longer focal length images — it doesn't alter an image that doesn't need correcting).

90% of my shooting is wildlife with telephotos. I don't really need it but I'll keep in mind. I know I wouldn't add it to a workflow because all most all of my editing is using LR.

Thanks

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

It's as automatic as you want it to be. In my case, I've set it up to automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction by default to every image. That's what it will do unless I override it.

Of course, it won't change telephoto images, but will correct wider angle images as needed:  the wider the angle, the more the correction.  No user input required.

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Thanks for the info.

90% of my shooting is wildlife with telephotos. I don't really need it but I'll keep in mind. I know I wouldn't add it to a workflow because all most all of my editing is using LR.

Thanks

That's the nice thing about doing everything in PhotoLab: the Viewpoint volume distortion correction is automatically applied as needed. So it corrects the wide-angle shots, without messing up telephoto images. It doesn't impact the workflow at all: mostly, you can just ignore it, and it does whatever it needs to with no user intervention.

Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,163

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

It's as automatic as you want it to be. In my case, I've set it up to automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction by default to every image. That's what it will do unless I override it.

Of course, it won't change telephoto images, but will correct wider angle images as needed: the wider the angle, the more the correction. No user input required.

i don't understand why

if the lens need this correction (automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction)

why it is not in lens profile?

Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroo vs CaptureOne

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

Of course, it won't change telephoto images, but will correct wider angle images as needed: the wider the angle, the more the correction. No user input required.

i don't understand why

if the lens need this correction (automatically apply 75% horizontal/vertical Volume deformation correction)

Volume deformation is not a lens problem. It is a characteristic of all wide angle images, even with fully corrected lenses.

Because it's not a lens problem. In the example I showed, the lens corrections had already been applied, but the people at the edges of the scene had been stretched sideways.

This happens with all wide-angle images. As far as I'm aware, DxO Viewpoint is the only tool that provides automatic correction for this form of distortion.

See
https://www.dxo.com/us/photography/tutorials/understanding-volume-deformation

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,588

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

i don't understand why

Volume deformation is not a lens problem. It is a characteristic of all wide angle images, even with fully corrected lenses.

Because it's not a lens problem. In the example I showed, the lens corrections had already been applied, but the people at the edges of the scene had been stretched sideways.

This happens with all wide-angle images. As far as I'm aware, DxO Viewpoint is the only tool that provides automatic correction for this form of distortion.

See

Laowa Zero-d ultrawides have significantly less (almost non existent) volume deformation.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more

DenImage wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

i don't understand why

See

Laowa Zero-d ultrawides have significantly less (almost non existent) volume deformation.

Den

I have had my eye on one but haven't shot like that or have really cared to the last year. I just go with 24mm.

DenImage wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

i don't understand why

See

Volume deformation is a consequence of the wide angle. It's not a lens fault, and is different to lens distortion. Consequently, no lens is free of volume deformation.

Thus, the Laowa wide angle lenses have exactly the same wide angle volume deformation as other lenses.

The volume deformation is very apparent in these Ken Rockwell sample images:
https://kenrockwell.com/tech/laowa/12mm.htm

He could have easily fixed it if he had been using DxO Viewpoint.

Zeee wrote:

DenImage wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Jefftan wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

not auto?

i don't understand why

See

Den

I have had my eye on one but haven't shot like that or have really cared to the last year. I just go with 24mm.

It wouldn't help with volume deformation. My widest lens 1s a 10-18 zoom (15-27 equiv), and you really need Viewpoint to deal with such wide angle shots (and that's after correcting lens distortion — volume deformation is not due to a lens fault).

It's a bit like shooting wide angle shots with the camera pointing upwards, rather than kept horizontal. You will inevitably get perspective or keystone distortion, regardless of the quality of the lens. It's not a camera or lens fault, but can still be corrected in post-processing if required. Viewpoint can do this with one click, as can many other post-processing editors. However, 100% correction often looks wrong, and a partial correction looks more natural.

phil from seattle wrote:

L'Arc D'Squat!!!

OK, let's see what DxO Viewpoint does with its one-click perspective correction. There are many triumphal arches around the world, so I thought I'd choose a different, slightly larger one than the better-known one in Paris. In its native language, this one is called 개선문. I took this picture in 2013; personally, I don't think the government that erected this arch can claim credit for the victory it celebrates.

First the uncorrected picture:

No perspective correction

Now, with Viewpoint's one-click automatic 100% perspective correction:

One-click, 100% perspective correction, cropped

I don't like the 100% correction, as it looks too artificial, so here's the image with the correction reduced to 50%. I think this looks more natural:

50% correction, manually straightened

I think this shows that DxO Viewpoint doesn't squash buildings when applying perspective correction.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads