DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158
Re: DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom vs CaptureOne

bsas wrote:

For me that proves my tests.

Basically, all tools can do everything I need for sure (far more actually).

To be honest, I think the most powerful tool is definitely PS. So, the "combo" LR + PS is by far the most capable set.

But, I don't like to tweak, config, edit, etc (I know, I am probably in the wrong forum :D).

Photography is a hobby for me. I work with computers all day (I am a software engineer), so, the last thing I want in my leisure time is to be in front of a computer software tweaking dials.

The biggest benefit I found on the DxO and that is why I decided to try to switch completely is that the "auto" settings are very close, almost perfect, to what I want. That means: zero to almost no tweaking. And that is valuable for me

My financial logic is quite simple: I will cancel LR+PS monthly subscription ($10 a month) and I will buy the DxO for $149 and I will force myself to keep JUST the DxO for 15 months. Since I ALWAYS backup my RAW files, there is nothing to loose with the "experiment". If I don't adapt completely, I can always go back to the adobe subscription (and I keep the DxO in the trade)...

by auto u mean default setting?

bsas
OP bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 617

Yes. Specially the "Smart Lightning", the "ClearView" and obviously the "PRIME Noise Reduction" (specially for m4/3).

bsas's gear list:bsas's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +10 more
Carol T Contributing Member • Posts: 797

bsas wrote:

To be honest, I think the most powerful tool is definitely PS. So, the "combo" LR + PS is by far the most capable set.

But, I don't like to tweak, config, edit, etc (I know, I am probably in the wrong forum :D).

Photography is a hobby for me. I work with computers all day (I am a software engineer), so, the last thing I want in my leisure time is to be in front of a computer software tweaking dials.

The biggest benefit I found on the DxO and that is why I decided to try to switch completely is that the "auto" settings are very close, almost perfect, to what I want. That means: zero to almost no tweaking. And that is valuable for me

My financial logic is quite simple: I will cancel LR+PS monthly subscription ($10 a month) and I will buy the DxO for $149 and I will force myself to keep JUST the DxO for 15 months. Since I ALWAYS backup my RAW files, there is nothing to loose with the "experiment". If I don't adapt completely, I can always go back to the adobe subscription (and I keep the DxO in the trade)...

Isn't the version with PRIME and all that $200?

phil from seattle
phil from seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,212

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,810

bsas wrote:

The Auto settings are pretty close. You can do the same with LR but there is a bit of configuring at the start to get an import to export flow with little intervention - if you need it. Whatever works best for you.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Where are you buying it on sale? On the DxO site atm it is $200 for the US (or at least that is where I am accessing the site from), it seems...$150 is a lot more palatable!

phil from seattle

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Where are you buying it on sale? On the DxO site atm it is $200 for the US (or at least that is where I am accessing the site from), it seems...$150 is a lot more palatable!

They have sales several times a year. I haven't kept close track as I bought on sale about 2.5 years ago. I upgraded about 6 months ago and I recall there was a sale then. I'm in the US, btw.

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

They have sales several times a year. I haven't kept close track as I bought on sale about 2.5 years ago. I upgraded about 6 months ago and I recall there was a sale then. I'm in the US, btw.

Ah, I see. It doesn't seem to be on sale atm. I guess you have to time it right.

bsas wrote:

Yes. Specially the "Smart Lightning", the "ClearView" and obviously the "PRIME Noise Reduction" (specially for m4/3).

This took 13 seconds in LR. Included were Colour Profile, Auto Tone, my Clarity and DeHaze tweaks, Lens corrections, Sharpening and NR. I pressed 2 buttons and then exported. It does take a bit of work to set it up. Worth it if you need cataloguing, collections and key wording and all the other bells and whistles. My set up took time to evolve but is actually very simple and pretty quick if anyone LR users interested. You could set it up in a few hrs.

As a standalone DXO takes that work out of the equation.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
bsas
OP bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 617

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Ah, I see. It doesn't seem to be on sale atm. I guess you have to time it right.

Yes, this time sale ended on the 30th of September (I think it was a “back to school” sale). But, if you go to their website and monitor they have this 25% off sale regularly.

bsas's gear list:bsas's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +10 more

bsas wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Yes, this time sale ended on the 30th of September (I think it was a “back to school” sale). But, if you go to their website and monitor they have this 25% off sale regularly.

Thanks!

phil from seattle

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Thanks!

Black Friday next?

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

phil from seattle wrote:

Carol T wrote:

bsas wrote:

150 on sale.

Thanks!

Black Friday next?

I paid $150 but I have seen it go for $130. I would have not spent $200.

Ted_G
Ted_G Regular Member • Posts: 107

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Viewpoint and Filmpack. I thought DXO Elite was already impressive with the ease of instant "close" correction for RAW processing....then I added the supplement software and was really impressed with the film sims and distortion correction (already good thanks to profiling of my lenses).

When I bought the G9 I knew I would need modern software capable of getting the most from my images without a bunch of fiddling. Daniel Cox of Natural Exposures makes mention of a M43 "triad" with DXO software and I am happy I accepted his (and others) realistic views and guidance.

And of course 30 day free trialĀ  .

Just my non-pro opinion.

-- hide signature --

"Lead Me....Follow Me....Or Get The Hell Out Of My Way"

Ted_G's gear list:Ted_G's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II
Jefftan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158

Zeee wrote:

As I recall CI had none of my longer lenses which made me think it is designed more for portraits, etc. I could be wrong about C1's niche market but it did surprise me when I tested it.

for c1 price, so many lens not have profile is unacceptable

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,745

Ted_G wrote:

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the Viewpoint and Filmpack. I thought DXO Elite was already impressive with the ease of instant "close" correction for RAW processing....then I added the supplement software and was really impressed with the film sims and distortion correction (already good thanks to profiling of my lenses).

When I bought the G9 I knew I would need modern software capable of getting the most from my images without a bunch of fiddling. Daniel Cox of Natural Exposures makes mention of a M43 "triad" with DXO software and I am happy I accepted his (and others) realistic views and guidance.

And of course 30 day free trial .

Just my non-pro opinion.

Yes, Viewpoint is a must-have, and FilmPack is very useful. The Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint is essential with wide-angle images. And I don't think an equivalent automatic correction tool is available elsewhere.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

Just my non-pro opinion.

Yes, Viewpoint is a must-have, and FilmPack is very useful. The Volume deformation correction in Viewpoint is essential with wide-angle images. And I don't think an equivalent automatic correction tool is available elsewhere.

You can do the same with LR's DeHaze. I set it to 25 in this example. While DXO is very good and has a lot of Auto settings LR is not as weak as made out to be. One reason I didn't like DXO when I tried it over the last 10 years. It took over too much for me. I know I could have worked around that but it was what it was.

Jefftan wrote:

Zeee wrote:

As I recall CI had none of my longer lenses which made me think it is designed more for portraits, etc. I could be wrong about C1's niche market but it did surprise me when I tested it.

for c1 price, so many lens not have profile is unacceptable

I said in many posts as far back as last October that I really wanted C1 to blow my doors off as I wanted no part of the subscription plan. It didn't. This is not a shot against C1. Very good software but just didn't work for me.

Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 8,745

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

Just my non-pro opinion.

You can do the same with LR's DeHaze. I set it to 25 in this example. While DXO is very good and has a lot of Auto settings LR is not as weak as made out to be. One reason I didn't like DXO when I tried it over the last 10 years. It took over too much for me. I know I could have worked around that but it was what it was.

DeHaze is nothing like DxO Viewpoint. You're confusing it with DxO ClearView, which has a completely different function.

As I said, I don't think LR has an equivalent to DxO Viewpoint's Volume deformation correction tool.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +15 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Ted_G wrote:

Just my non-pro opinion.

DeHaze is nothing like DxO Viewpoint. You're confusing it with DxO ClearView, which has a completely different function.

As I said, I don't think LR has an equivalent to DxO Viewpoint's Volume deformation correction tool.

Oops. Sorry. I thought you meant ClearView. My bad. I've never looked at Viewpoint.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads