"Pros always use Manual exposure, A and S are for amateurs ..

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Joris1632 Senior Member • Posts: 2,060
"Pros always use Manual exposure, A and S are for amateurs ..

......... who don't know better" - quotes from another forum; any comments?  My personal view is that subject and conditions dictate the exposure mode .......

-- hide signature --

Joris1632

Wheatfield7
Wheatfield7 Senior Member • Posts: 5,775
Re: "Pros always use Manual exposure, A and S are for amateurs ..

Joris1632 wrote:

......... who don't know better" - quotes from another forum; any comments? My personal view is that subject and conditions dictate the exposure mode .......

Snobbery is a beautiful thing.

Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
You shouldn’t believe everything you read on a forum

Joris1632 wrote:

......... who don't know better" - quotes from another forum; any comments? My personal view is that subject and conditions dictate the exposure mode .......

You shouldn’t believe everything you read on a forum.

This particular claim is of course utter non-sense.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,329

'Pros' can use whatever mode allows them to get the shot they need or want with the most reliability and most control and that mode may be different for different subjects and cases.  Some pros may always use M, some always use A and S, some use P, some use P, A, S, and M as needed.

It's a common misconception that using a priority or program auto mode means you can no longer control the outcome...you can still control the settings, the exposure, and the framing of the shot in ANY P, A, S, or M mode...it's just a matter of using the one that works best for you in the given situation.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Beachcomber Joe
Beachcomber Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Joris1632 wrote:

I doubt if much has changed in the preferences of pros from when the 119th post was made three days ago in this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4319885.

Bottom line, well over half of pros use manual shooting mode all or most of the time.  They do that to gain maximum control and consistency.  They use it because it works best for them.  It does not mean it is the best choice for everyone or even for all pros.  Indeed, a significant percentage of pros use aperture priority.

Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,603

Joris1632 wrote:

......... who don't know better" - quotes from another forum; any comments?

Probably wasn't a pro, but a pretender, who said it.

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,326
It's not snobbery, just ignorance. (nt)
-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Matt Kolberg Regular Member • Posts: 220

Interesting statistic. I've never been able to find a reliable website listing these facts. Where did you get them?

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

Joris1632 wrote:

I doubt if much has changed in the preferences of pros from when the 119th post was made three days ago in this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4319885.

Bottom line, well over half of pros use manual shooting mode all or most of the time. They do that to gain maximum control and consistency. They use it because it works best for them. It does not mean it is the best choice for everyone or even for all pros. Indeed, a significant percentage of pros use aperture priority.

Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,706
Actually....

Al Gore invented Auto Exposure, and he meant for AE to be used only by amateurs, so the original statement is true 'cause I heard it on the Internet....    

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 7,207
Re: You shouldn’t believe everything you read on a forum

Mike CH wrote:

You shouldn’t believe everything you read on a forum.

anything?

JP Scherrer
JP Scherrer Forum Pro • Posts: 10,616
Just plain BS ! The "pros" also use S and A, but certainly not P !
 JP Scherrer's gear list:JP Scherrer's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
robblackett Senior Member • Posts: 1,211

Joris1632 wrote:

Actually it's a fairly well known fact that 'P' mode stands for Professional. And it's often marked in green to help them remember.

😉

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Veteran Member • Posts: 9,350

Joris1632 wrote:

There are clearly situations where "M" is a good choice, and situations where "M" is a bad choice.

A true professional should choose the setting best for the situation at hand.   An amateur is more likely to follow some anonymous general advice he read on the Internet.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Re: Just plain BS ! The "pros" also use S and A, but certainly not P !

JP Scherrer wrote:

(Nt)

I know of a large number of pros who use P.

Beachcomber Joe
Beachcomber Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,083

Matt Kolberg wrote:

Interesting statistic. I've never been able to find a reliable website listing these facts. Where did you get them?

They are based primarily on our conversations with over 100 professional photographers that have appeared on our weekly show.  Those pros span a variety of disciplines from fine art photographers like Canon Explorer of Light Parish Kohanim to bird photographers like Artie Morris (our 1st & 100th guest), and include a few large format photographers, a couple of underwater photographers, and an aerial photographer.  I also get to spend time with those pros who are on the conference speaking circuit and their preferences mirror those on our show.

I find it interesting to talk to a pro one week who swears by manual and the next week talk to one who rarely, if ever, uses it.  While they differ widely in what they shoot and their personalities, what they have in common is a passion for photography.  They've found what works for them through experimentation and experience.   I can only think of a few with egos so large that they think that everyone should shoot the way they do.

a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,157

The only thing that marks out professional snappers is that people give them money in return for images.  Nothing more.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +3 more

a_c_skinner wrote:

The only thing that marks out professional snappers is that people give them money in return for images. Nothing more.

And that they tend be less anal about equipment.

Easy Rider
Easy Rider Senior Member • Posts: 7,572

Joris1632 wrote:

All depends on the situation.  Is a ridiculous statement from the outset!

Easy Rider's gear list:Easy Rider's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Camera Raw 7
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 4,751

Joris1632 wrote:

Most people who say things like that are using their camera's metering system, so they may think they are using manual exposure, but really they aren't. Of the settings you shoot, if you choose to make one a priority for any number of valid reasons, it really is not very different that setting all the settings manually, especially if you are using the cameras meter. Moving dials until the needle centers is hardly difficult.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +16 more
Schrodingers_cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,207
quoting Ken Rockwell perhaps :)

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads