Just got a Minolta f8 500mm reflex, and...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 835
Just got a Minolta f8 500mm reflex, and...

...and naturally it has the ND filter, but not the 'clear' one.

I don't see any likely way of getting this part at a not utterly insane price, so can I just tape over the drop-in filter slot, or is the clear filter required for exact focus?  It was overcast today and hard to get enough light to really test it, but it it seemed to be producing more or less in focus images handheld, albeit at very high ISO and shutter speeds (it's a bit hard to imagine it being so bright that you'd need the ND filter at f8 500mm!)

Tim

steelhead3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,465
Re: Just got a Minolta f8 500mm reflex, and...

You can tape the hole with little penalty.  The ND filter works to increase DOF which is quite narrow on the reflex at f8.

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215

Discussed several times here in the past:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52640367

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +28 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

Tim Crammond wrote:

...and naturally it has the ND filter, but not the 'clear' one.

I don't see any likely way of getting this part at a not utterly insane price, so can I just tape over the drop-in filter slot, or is the clear filter required for exact focus? It was overcast today and hard to get enough light to really test it, but it it seemed to be producing more or less in focus images handheld, albeit at very high ISO and shutter speeds (it's a bit hard to imagine it being so bright that you'd need the ND filter at f8 500mm!)

Tim

If you are shooting bright sunsets, then the ND filter is needed. But the majority of the time, you will not need it. My clear filter would pop off constantly, and there would be times I would take it out so as to not lose it in the field, and found that there was no difference shooting without it. Keep it covered with tape to keep dust out [or creepy-crawlies]

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

OP Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 835

lehill wrote:

Discussed several times here in the past:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52640367

Thanks; found a thread, but not that one.

Ralf B
Ralf B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,240
@ steelhead: yes, no, yes but...

steelhead3 wrote:

You can tape the hole with little penalty.

Yes.

The ND filter works to increase DOF

No.

which is quite narrow on the reflex at f8.

yes, but ... the ND filter does not change that.
Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more
Re: @ steelhead: yes, no, yes but...

You don't think f16 has a greater DOF than f8?

Sony a77 II
Ralf B
Re: @ steelhead: ND filter does not give f 16

steelhead3 wrote:

You don't think f16 has a greater DOF than f8?

Of course stopping a lens down by a variable aperture does that just fine.

The DOF is fixed in the lens discussed here as it lacks a variable aperture. As far as I know, that applies to any mirror lens. The ND filter in the Minolta / SAL 500/8 mirror lens does not act like a variable aperture. It can't. It just adds two stops but not by stopping the lens down, only by being darker than the clear filter (or air gap in the light path in case that clear filter is missing as in the OP's case).

Cheers,
Ralf

Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +14 more

I guess the directions that came with mine about using the ND filter to get to f16 is wrong then.

Sony a77 II
Ralf B

steelhead3 wrote:

I guess the directions that came with mine about using the ND filter to get to f16 is wrong then.

Did those directions discuss DOF at all? I am sure they discussed exposure. Some more info then:

The ND filter changes the light transmission or T-Stop, but not the F-Stop (or aperture): The aperture is calculated by the ratio of focal length and aperture opening diameter. The ND filter does not change the diameter where it is installed, it has the same diameter as the clear filter. No diameter change - no change in DOF.

A useful link says basically the same:

Quote: The mirror design does not utilize aperture blades, and thus the aperture of the lens is fixed at f/8. Exposure may only be controlled by shutter speed, film or sensor sensitivity, or a rear-mounted neutral density filter.

Cheers,
Ralf

You are probably right Ralf...for fun I will test it out today.  I have never used that ND filter except in my 300 f2.8.

Sony a77 II
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,863

steelhead3 wrote:

You are probably right Ralf...for fun I will test it out today. I have never used that ND filter except in my 300 f2.8.

Ralf is definitely right. ND filters reduce the light intensity. They do not change DOF. Physical aperture changes do that.

Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,652

steelhead3 wrote:

You are probably right Ralf...for fun I will test it out today. I have never used that ND filter except in my 300 f2.8.

Exactly. On such a fast aperture lens using ND filter allows increasing the exposure time at the same time at the shallow DOF of the fast aperture is kept.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Just tested...Ralf is right, exposure just changed.  I had that dof thought ever since I bought this lens but had no reason to go to f16 so really never thought it through.  Learn something new keeps the mind working.

Sony a77 II
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215

steelhead3 wrote:

Just tested...Ralf is right, exposure just changed. I had that dof thought ever since I bought this lens but had no reason to go to f16 so really never thought it through. Learn something new keeps the mind working.

You can blame the instructions. It may be that Sony updated the Minolta instructions to unconfuse users and included the last line (italics mine):

"The lens itself has no aperture adjustment.

To adjust the amount of light, attach the supplied normal filter or ND4X filter.

The plug-in filters are component parts of the optical system. Be sure to attached either the normal filter or the ND4X filter when taking pictures.

Use the normal filter generally. When you shoot a bright subject or when you want to slow down the shutter speed, attach the ND4X filter (the amount of light is reduced by 2 stops, which is equivalent to f/16).

• The depth-of field is not affected by attaching the ND4X filter." <- Maybe Sony added this line, it's the only line with a bullet.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +28 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,863

lehill wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

You have a document from Minolta that mentions f/16?

Just tested...Ralf is right, exposure just changed. I had that dof thought ever since I bought this lens but had no reason to go to f16 so really never thought it through. Learn something new keeps the mind working.

You can blame the instructions.

I don't see a mention of f/16 or DOF in Minolta's user manual. Only one lens stop is listed in the specs. It's a filter! One would have to infer something that is not there to think the aperture or DOF gets changed:

In case anyone wants to point out the part about the clear filter being an integral part of the optical design, I refer readers again to a detailed explanation about why that text exists and why it can be ignored in this case.

It may be that Sony updated the Minolta instructions to unconfuse users and included the last line (italics mine):

To adjust the amount of light, attach the supplied normal filter or ND4X filter.

The plug-in filters are component parts of the optical system. Be sure to attached either the normal filter or the ND4X filter when taking pictures.

Use the normal filter generally. When you shoot a bright subject or when you want to slow down the shutter speed, attach the ND4X filter (the amount of light is reduced by 2 stops, which is equivalent to f/16).

So that's where the f/16 came from! It's equivalent.

• The depth-of field is not affected by attaching the ND4X filter." <- Maybe Sony added this line, it's the only line with a bullet.

Hopefully that would eliminate any erroneous inferences.

Lensmate
Lensmate Senior Member • Posts: 2,690

sybersitizen wrote:

lehill wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

You have a document from Minolta that mentions f/16?

You can blame the instructions.

I don't see a mention of f/16 or DOF in Minolta's user manual. Only one lens stop is listed in the specs. It's a filter! One would have to infer something that is not there to think the aperture or DOF gets changed:

In case anyone wants to point out the part about the clear filter being an integral part of the optical design, I refer readers again to a detailed explanation about why that text exists and why it can be ignored in this case.

It may be that Sony updated the Minolta instructions to unconfuse users and included the last line (italics mine):

So that's where the f/16 came from! It's equivalent.

Hopefully that would eliminate any erroneous inferences.

Good sleuthing!

-Martin P

https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosauraus_rex/

Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 5,933

I do love this lens. In fact, it was this lens that convinced me to go with the minolta 7d system. I still love using it to this day with the A99 and A99ii. However, the IQ (and bokeh!) from the 70-400 is considerably better.  The lens is capable of very creamy bokeh if there are no high contrasts in the background. The lens is super light and the AF is very fast. BIF are a hoot with it.

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
OP Tim Crammond Contributing Member • Posts: 835

Main issue I'm seeing (and again it was overcast today) is very narrow DOF, even at considerable distances.

Heh - sensor dust shows up as onion rings

Tim

QuietOC
QuietOC Senior Member • Posts: 2,318

Tim Crammond wrote:

Main issue I'm seeing (and again it was overcast today) is very narrow DOF, even at considerable distances.

Yes, I have the Sigma 600mm F8, and I've tried Samyang 800mm F8's. It makes me wonder how useful long F2.8 lenses are really for example the Sigma 200-500mm F2.8.

It seems like F5.6 for the AF sensors is plenty. The new Sony FE 400mm F2.8 doesn't make much sense to me. None of the E-mount cameras have even a single F2.8 AF sensor. Though it does seem like the on-sensor AF points somehow benefit from brighter lenses while dedicated AF sensors mostly do not.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +100 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads