SD card doesn't work for a7iii?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
jchng88 New Member • Posts: 10
SD card doesn't work for a7iii?

I recently got a sandisk extreme pro 128gb UHS-i sd card.

My rx100v is able to detect it, but my a7iii keeps saying unable to read memory card, resinsert card slot 1. I was able to use this same card to take photos on the rx100v.

anyone else has this issue? This is a brand new a7iii

Edit: It's able to read in slot 2, but not in slot 1

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Jackjackjack Regular Member • Posts: 161
Re: SD card doesn't work for a7iii?

jchng88 wrote:

My rx100v is able to detect it, but my a7iii keeps saying unable to read memory card, resinsert card slot 1. I was able to use this same card to take photos on the rx100v.

The exact same thing was asked very recently.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61626335

HP1999 Senior Member • Posts: 4,316

Just some ideas

Reformat the card in the camera you are using and never share memory cards between cameras even the same make.  cards should be dedicated to the camera and formatted in camera.

Never format a card in your computer

Try not to delete images in camera.  Only format.

Past that cards can get corrupt and no way to tell but if it works in one not the other re format and dont share cards etc.

Use the correct slot. so slot one with one card

Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

HP1999 wrote:

Just some ideas

Reformat the card in the camera you are using and never share memory cards between cameras even the same make. cards should be dedicated to the camera and formatted in camera.

Try not to delete images in camera. Only format.

Past that cards can get corrupt and no way to tell but if it works in one not the other re format and dont share cards etc.

Plus, I'd suggest double check that the card is nor a counterfeit. SanDisk 128GB seems to be pretty common as counterfeit.

Oh yeah. Never buy memory cards from eBay or third party off amazon

i would stick to the camera store and a reputable one vs trying to save $5

OP jchng88 New Member • Posts: 10

Thanks for all your input.

It's definitely not counterfeit, I got it from the authorised distributor. I changed the card once at Sandisk, same thing happened to the new card. The guy at Sandisk said that someone had the exact same issue the day before. Only happens for 128gb at slot 1, 64gb is fine. 128gb at slot 2 is fine also

I then went to Sony repair centre. I tested with one of their display set in the shop, same thing happened. The a7iii slot 1 doesn't work with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb. The Sony guy said that he will feedback to upper management, and he will get back to me regarding this

Edit: To add, the sandisk 128gb didn't work for the a7riii (slot 1) display set as well

I snap Cats New Member • Posts: 1

jchng88 wrote:

Somewhat similar issue:

a7III uses a 64gb UHS-II card for a while, deleting various files in camera, via pc viewer and via windows explorer USB mass storage connection. Shoots some more pictures, deletes some more. ImageDB needs to be rebuild from time to time (deletion via mass storage apparently isn't ideal).. Goes on until card gets full, ImageDB needs to be rebuild, but rebuild keeps failing -> card becomes unreadable in slot 1(!) but works fine in slot 2. Nothing wrong with image files on card, but slot 1 refuses to read the card... Until card is formatted in camera, then card works like normal in both slots again.

So... I'm guessing there might be a potential issue with location/size/consistency of the ImageDB on the card in slot 1 if the card wasn't formatted in camera or is filled in a fragmented way... or something like that.

Didn't result in image corruption/loss and the card was 'recovered' with a quick format, so I'm meh about it.

jchng88 wrote:

It's definitely not counterfeit, I got it from the authorised distributor. I changed the card once at Sandisk, same thing happened to the new card. The guy at Sandisk said that someone had the exact same issue the day before. Only happens for 128gb at slot 1, 64gb is fine. 128gb at slot 2 is fine also

I then went to Sony repair centre. I tested with one of their display set in the shop, same thing happened. The a7iii slot 1 doesn't work with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 128gb. The Sony guy said that he will feedback to upper management, and he will get back to me regarding this

Edit: To add, the sandisk 128gb didn't work for the a7riii (slot 1) display set as well

Weird. Must be some kind of incompatibility issue with this specific card model and the MkIII bodies. I'd just get 2x 64GB SanDisk and carry on.

bayindirh
bayindirh Regular Member • Posts: 387

HP1999 wrote:

Just some ideas

Reformat the card in the camera you are using and never share memory cards between cameras even the same make. cards should be dedicated to the camera and formatted in camera.

Try not to delete images in camera. Only format.

A7iii plainly hates when images are deleted from the card via PC. The camera stores a couple of databases inside the card, and also updates them when it writes or deletes something. Because of this, I only format cards and delete images on camera. Only copy images via a card reader.

The dreaded "cannot read card please re-insert" error happens when you delete images from the card on the PC, without updating the database files. Camera thinks that the card is corrupted if there is a difference on card and the on-card database.

bayindirh's gear list:bayindirh's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +4 more
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

jchng88 wrote:

Strange... My SanDisk 128Gb Extreme Pro (bought from B&H) works in slot 1 without issue.
Edit: Actually, so does my assistants. Both the same 128Gb SanDisk and A7III. Must be a card batch/camera batch thing.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,643

I snap Cats wrote: deleting various files in camera, via pc viewer and via windows explorer USB mass storage connection.

As others have stated...    Never do this with Sony cameras.   Only delete files from cards using the camera or completely reformatting the card IN the camera.

Doing otherwise WILL corrupt the database on the card and force problems.

-- hide signature --

A7iii | A7rii | RX10 iv | RX100 v | 70-200 2.8 GM | 55 1.8 ZA | 85 1.8 | 90 2.8 Macro | 28 f2 | Godox tt685s (x3) & Xpro-S | Zhiyun Crane v2
------------------------
http://501concepts.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM +9 more
OP jchng88 New Member • Posts: 10

XeroJay wrote:

jchng88 wrote:

Strange... My SanDisk 128Gb Extreme Pro (bought from B&H) works in slot 1 without issue.
Edit: Actually, so does my assistants. Both the same 128Gb SanDisk and A7III. Must be a card batch/camera batch thing.

I suspect so too. I've seen countless youtube videos using the exact same card with slot 1.

I'm living in South East Asia btw, so it may be a batch/regional thing

Dpr86 New Member • Posts: 1

So i bought a a7iii and a a6300 to try sony and i have the same issue . I bought 3 cards Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I Cards 128gb speed up to 95MB/s.

The 1 card came from a store from china and works good on both cameras. This card is slight faster than other two by 1mb/s on write 84.7mb/s against 83.7mb/s.

The 2 cards i got yesterday from amazon only work on a6300... i am testing on a6300 and is recording good, But on A7III got the error of card can´t be read... and i can´t format...

Lucky sony i didn´t have saw this problem in foruns before buying this camera because for me is a major Flaw , i rely on sandisk 100% and to buy sony card makes me nervous .

DI_Jeff Regular Member • Posts: 187

I just posted on another thread; having the same issues with Sandisk Extreme Pro cards in Slot 1 (UHS-ii); no issues in Slot 2.

I tested 8 Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (UHS-I) in total (both 64gb and 128gb)
 - 3 had issues with Slot 1 only (only the newer cards; 2 of which were purchased this week; one from Sandisk and one from Best Buy)

- 5 have no issues; these were my older cards used in previous cameras and over the last few months in the A7iii.

The issue seems to be only with new cards in the UHS-II Slot (slot 1).

DI_Jeff's gear list:DI_Jeff's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a6500 Sony a7 III NEX-5T Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +9 more
jazz280z New Member • Posts: 4

New SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-1 card from Amazon only works in slot 2. Slot 1 gives the error unable to read memory card slot 1 . This new 128GB card has been formated in camera in slot 2 and reads writes fine there.

I also formated it fat 32 on my desktop and no difference. It is a 128Gb card so I wonder if it is a capacity bug? Something with the card and sony firmware body: ILCE-7M3 1.01 (Setup menu page 7/7)

The 64Gb SCXD UHS-1 Sony has been working great in either slot 1 or slot 2. The capacity of SDXC can go from 64 GB to 2 TB

I wanted to use the new faster card in slot 1 until I could spring for the $$ UHS-2 speed. I'm frustrated but can use it in slot 2 for now. Anyone know if it is slower there? Thanks!

XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

jazz280z wrote:

New SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-1 card from Amazon only works in slot 2. Slot 1 gives the error unable to read memory card slot 1 . This new 128GB card has been formated in camera in slot 2 and reads writes fine there.

I wish it were that cut & dry... However we have one purchased from Amazon two months ago that works in slot 1, no issues. Man, I hate when things are unpredictable

I also formated it fat 32 on my desktop and no difference. It is a 128Gb card so I wonder if it is a capacity bug? Something with the card and sony firmware body: ILCE-7M3 1.01 (Setup menu page 7/7)

The 64Gb SCXD UHS-1 Sony has been working great in either slot 1 or slot 2. The capacity of SDXC can go from 64 GB to 2 TB

I wanted to use the new faster card in slot 1 until I could spring for the $$ UHS-2 speed. I'm frustrated but can use it in slot 2 for now. Anyone know if it is slower there? Thanks!

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +4 more
samer820 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi, I just received my a7iii from BH and got exactly the same SD card from SanDisk via Amazon and I have exactly the same problem....it cannot read the card in slot 1....it works fine in slot2 though.....I am not happy about this since I read it works on other's both slots....It feels mine is defective....did you get any feedback from SONY regarding this problem yet?

Not sure what others have added I have one more idea.

It is possible cards sold on amazon or eBay could be fake.  I feel like i have read memory cards can be a knock off. I hope it was not a dream.

Point being I Only buy memory cards from camera stores and usually do this when I buy a camera. If needed I have just bought cards themselves and if I have to pay shipping so be it

what I don’t recall in this back and forth of threads is if that was a difference

to that end I usually never want a card over 64 gb anyway regardless of still or video use

HP1999 wrote:

Not sure what others have added I have one more idea.

It is possible cards sold on amazon or eBay could be fake. I feel like i have read memory cards can be a knock off. I hope it was not a dream.

Buying from actual Amazon.com and not a third party seller on amazon.com should be safe-ish. Ebay is a mess. Ebay claim they have a firm policy against counterfeits, but there are tons of fake products all over Ebay (Wish and AliExpress is probably even worse). I personally only buy from physical stores from large well known photography/electronics franchises. They are not likely to stock counterfeits as this would ruin their reputation.

Point being I Only buy memory cards from camera stores and usually do this when I buy a camera. If needed I have just bought cards themselves and if I have to pay shipping so be it

what I don’t recall in this back and forth of threads is if that was a difference

to that end I usually never want a card over 64 gb anyway regardless of still or video use

If you experience SD card problems, and are not 100% sure of the origins/authenticity of the card, you definitely should spend some time googling and make sure you have a genuine card.

A month ago I spotted a fake SanDisk card (for the second time) in this forum with help from this webpage: https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-tips/fake-sandisk-sd-card-counterfeit/

The person who posted photos of her SD card never came back after me pointing it out. Don't know why,  maybe she was embarrased.

Thank you 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads