That stonking big 4K TV you bought for your photos

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Ron Poelman
OP Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,383
Good post, nice to hear from a pioneer

TheClueless wrote:

I've been experimenting with multi-TV displays with NVIDIA Mosaic (the commercial-use version of Surround) as solely picture and video displays, and there are a few problems I have with the setups for stills. With video it's absolutely not a problem of course because you're not contemplating everything frame by frame.

First, aspect ratio. You can arrange monitors in various configurations but I've never got a setup that looks right with 4:3 and 3:2 ratio photos. I really need large 3:2 monitors to make this happen.

Second, when you go multimonitor then you have to deal with bezels - and while it's getting smaller every year, it's still a factor. Mosaic corrects for bezels but when you're looking at the pix it just looks wrong.

Lastly is the impact for size - I find that I need significantly bigger monitors than I need for prints to create the same kind of impact on the wall with a shot, when you're actually looking at it as opposed to using it as electronic wallpaper. Which inevitably means multiple monitors, and this can end up overwhelming the wall you have the setup on. I'm not sure if that comes through as a proper explanation but it's definitely a problem for me.

So next trial, I'm going bigger with QLED TV's. I suspect I won't be happy until 8K ~50" 3:2 monitors magically appear though.

That, I would pay to see; I can pass on the name of my neck surgeon.
Personally, I think 32" is the outer limit for a monitor at a desk.
Will you be moving yours back from the 50" screen ?
Maybe a bit of Star Wars cockpit in the middle of the room with built in Esky ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
Basket Case Regular Member • Posts: 142
Re: That stonking big 4K TV you bought for your photos

I know someone who simultaneously bought a 27" Dell U2718Q and a Vizio 43" 4K TV to audition them for use as a computer monitor. The Vizio was markedly better than the Dell in every respect except viewing angle.

The useless Dell had pathetic IPS glow, non-uniformity, color shifts (green on one side and magenta on the other side).

Needless to say, the Dell was dumped on the retailer's doorstep the very next day.

Ron Poelman
Interesting, 4k might well be a whole new ball game for Dell.

I think they still use LG panels.(?)
Did you see these or was it anecdotal ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
TheClueless
TheClueless Senior Member • Posts: 2,016
Re: Good post, nice to hear from a pioneer

Ron Poelman wrote:

TheClueless wrote:

I've been experimenting with multi-TV displays with NVIDIA Mosaic (the commercial-use version of Surround) as solely picture and video displays, and there are a few problems I have with the setups for stills. With video it's absolutely not a problem of course because you're not contemplating everything frame by frame.

First, aspect ratio. You can arrange monitors in various configurations but I've never got a setup that looks right with 4:3 and 3:2 ratio photos. I really need large 3:2 monitors to make this happen.

Second, when you go multimonitor then you have to deal with bezels - and while it's getting smaller every year, it's still a factor. Mosaic corrects for bezels but when you're looking at the pix it just looks wrong.

Lastly is the impact for size - I find that I need significantly bigger monitors than I need for prints to create the same kind of impact on the wall with a shot, when you're actually looking at it as opposed to using it as electronic wallpaper. Which inevitably means multiple monitors, and this can end up overwhelming the wall you have the setup on. I'm not sure if that comes through as a proper explanation but it's definitely a problem for me.

So next trial, I'm going bigger with QLED TV's. I suspect I won't be happy until 8K ~50" 3:2 monitors magically appear though.

That, I would pay to see; I can pass on the name of my neck surgeon.
Personally, I think 32" is the outer limit for a monitor at a desk.
Will you be moving yours back from the 50" screen ?
Maybe a bit of Star Wars cockpit in the middle of the room with built in Esky ?

Of course it's not intended to be sat in front of - it's a wall display.

TheClueless's gear list:TheClueless's gear list
Leica M10 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 +73 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,224
Re: I buy 4K TVs for movies.

DenWil wrote:

hope you are watching your UHD movies off of UHD discs. Streaming or downloaded movies are compressed for both image and sound quality.

But it is convenient that my honking big files look terrific when the screen saver comes on.

-- hide signature --

dw

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764
I stopped watching TV a few years ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

how well is is working out ?
Do you keep it near the computer to help with editing ?
Did it end up in another room just for displaying photos full time ?
Did it end up being "just" a TV which you use once in a blue moon to look at some photos ?
Did you buy a cheapie and properly adjusted, found it more than good enough or should you have spent more ?
If you spent a bomb, was it worth it ?
Just interested in usage experiences.
FWIW, we can buy 60" of 4K here for OZ $600, i'm sure the motion is rubbish, but people seem to be able to get the colour about right; why spend more for stills ?

All my entertainment comes through my Macs, iPhone and iPad

I have a large iMac for my photography

Big hulking TVs are pointless endeavours for my needs.

-- hide signature --

MOGA ( Make Olympus Great Again)

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,511

Alexsfo wrote:

It’s only broadcast tv which is poor quality so I never watch that.

Is it cable or antenna?

If broadcast digital cable TV is overcompressed by the provider, it can look awful. But as long as you can get a good signal, over-the-air digital TV can be very high quality and can look very clean and impressive (for 1080i).

Fishchris
Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,712

GodSpeaks wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought a 65" Samsung Series 8 SUHD TV. I bought it to watch movies. I do not watch broadcast TV anymore. I have yet to use it to view any of my photos, although I do use it to watch my edited 4K videos. I also have an android media box that supports 4K60P (Minix U9-H).

My photo viewing is done in large part on my desktop computer, which has a 28" 4K monitor. I find 28" is too small for 4K resolution

Hmmm. Interesting. I was on the fence 6 months ago between a 27" and a 32" 4K monitor. As it turned out, the 27" appeared sharper. I guess I could have just set farther away from my monitor, but I actually grab my 27" monitor on a fully articulating stand and pull it up pretty close for photo work.

Anyway, IMP experience, my 27" is not at all too small to take full advantage of 4K pixels.

Also I should mention, the 27" and the 32" I was comparing, were both LG's.... Even the same series, just different sizes.

, so I have plans to upgrade my monitor next year to about 40". Did I mention I also do a lot of gaming.

The rest of my photo viewing is done on my smartphone.

By the way, the Hollywood movies look fabulous on the SUHD TV.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Ron Poelman
Re: it's a wall display.

TheClueless wrote:

Of course it's not intended to be sat in front of - it's a wall display.

Hey, if you have the room,why not ?
I'ld love to avoid buying a monitor (as well) next time around with some simple furniture shuffling.

-- hide signature --

Ron.

Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,905
LG 55" OLED - I'm hooked

Ron Poelman wrote:

Did it end up being "just" a TV which you use once in a blue moon to look at some photos ?
Did you buy a cheapie and properly adjusted, found it more than good enough or should you have spent more ?
FWIW, we can buy 60" of 4K here for OZ $600, i'm sure the motion is rubbish, but people seem to be able to get the colour about right; why spend more for stills ?

I bought an LG OLED 55" TV last xmas. It has the most amazing picture, clear bright, good color, and amazing viewing angle (near 180degrees).

I'm running a PLEX media server on a QNAP NAS box and the smart TV has a PLEX client app. My photos look amazing! You do start to notice some flaws in your photos when they're that large. Overall though, the TV is primarily used as a TV. The TV or the PLEX client software has a bug in it so that when I'm playing a slide show it (?) times out and goes into screen saver mode.

I paid a premium for OLED but I don't regret it for an instant. I researched TVs for a year and OLED wins hands down.

For the computer I'm looking at getting a Dell 43" 4k/UHD monitor. I wish LG made an OLED that was 43" I'd buy it in an instant.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 29,224
Re: LG 55" OLED - I'm hooked

Carey Brown wrote:

Ron Poelman wrote:

I bought an LG OLED 55" TV last xmas. It has the most amazing picture, clear bright, good color, and amazing viewing angle (near 180degrees).

I'm running a PLEX media server on a QNAP NAS box and the smart TV has a PLEX client app. My photos look amazing! You do start to notice some flaws in your photos when they're that large.

That would only mean you are viewing the photos too close up. If you view the photo where you can see/appreciate the entire photo at one time, you should never see flaws. Think 4x6 and billboards

Overall though, the TV is primarily used as a TV. The TV or the PLEX client software has a bug in it so that when I'm playing a slide show it (?) times out and goes into screen saver mode.

I paid a premium for OLED but I don't regret it for an instant. I researched TVs for a year and OLED wins hands down.

For the computer I'm looking at getting a Dell 43" 4k/UHD monitor. I wish LG made an OLED that was 43" I'd buy it in an instant.

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,920

That OLED LG: Can one put a USB flashdrive with pictures on it, and cycle through to watch them, (using LG's controller) or does it have to be hooked on to a laptop with an appropriate program?

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,255

RUcrAZ wrote:

That OLED LG: Can one put a USB flashdrive with pictures on it, and cycle through to watch them, (using LG's controller) or does it have to be hooked on to a laptop with an appropriate program?

All brand TVs now seem to have the USB feature. Put in a USB flashdrive stick and it will display the thumbnails for you to choose what to look at, or initiate a slide show with adjustable delays etc. No need to connect a computer to the screen.

If you select video files then it will play those also, but some sets may be fussy about what type of video file that they will play. Easy to convert on the computer to something that the TV can handle.

If some storage device is on a home network then the TV can access that as well, best to do it wired, but WiFi works as well, but may be a bit slower to load in some cases.

My older LG 4K (not OLED) uses WebOS as its operating system, so maybe reading up on that may help as to what it can do. See https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/smart-tv/use and http://webosose.org/

Regards......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Karafuru Regular Member • Posts: 297

RUcrAZ wrote:

Depends on your TV. Mine can read jpegs and x.264 8bit video although I don't like the upscaler (it's good but I my dedicated computer using madVR is better).

Karafuru's gear list:Karafuru's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a6500 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +5 more
Carey Brown

RUcrAZ wrote:

I'm going to say "probably". Most smart TVs do, though I haven't tried it.

I'm using my USB slot for a wireless keyboard.

Re: Interesting, 4k might well be a whole new ball game for Dell.

Ron Poelman wrote:

I think they still use LG panels.(?)
Did you see these or was it anecdotal ?

Saw it with my own eyes.

I have pretty high standards.

Surprisingly, my Dell U3011 ultrasharp had better uniformity than many monitors I tried since (LG 31MU97 had horrid magenta color shifts with off-axis viewing (the worst offender I've ever seen), the Dell UP3216Q had poor uniformity.

Only a Benq BL3201PT was nice (but it was only sRGB, so I returned it).

However, the TV is a VA panel, so it loses fidelity ( contrast, saturation) quickly as a function of viewing angle.

Carey Brown wrote:

Ron Poelman wrote:

I'm running a PLEX media server on a QNAP NAS box and the smart TV has a PLEX client app. My photos look amazing! You do start to notice some flaws in your photos when they're that large. Overall though, the TV is primarily used as a TV. The TV or the PLEX client software has a bug in it so that when I'm playing a slide show it (?) times out and goes into screen saver mode.

Yeah, but they get image retention and permanent burn-in. If I used one, it would be only for movies.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,255
Re: LG 55" OLED - I'm burnt in

Basket Case wrote:

Yeah, but they get image retention and permanent burn-in. If I used one, it would be only for movies.

It may only be panel type or model dependent, but hey, I won't spend that sort of money on a screen anyway, cheaper to get on a jet plane and go see the scenery for myself.

Burn-in https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Carey Brown
Re: LG 55" OLED - I'm burnt in

Guy Parsons wrote:

Basket Case wrote:

It may only be panel type or model dependent, but hey, I won't spend that sort of money on a screen anyway, cheaper to get on a jet plane and go see the scenery for myself.

Burn-in https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/

Regards.... Guy

Thanks for the link.

A slide show should still be ok, but perhaps not being used as a monitor.

I wonder what the physics is that would cause a light emitting diode to burn in.

bs1946
bs1946 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,979

Ron Poelman wrote:

Earlier this year, I replaced my aging 27"  iMac with a new Mac Mini and a Philips 43 inch 4k TV. The Mini was not the best idea and I should have looked into all the specs more before I bought it. The Mini will only output 4k at 15fps and everything shows up real small on the screen so I am actually running it at 1080p. The TV is and Mini are directly connected via HDMI.

The TV is my monitor and sits on my desk about 2.5 feet from my face. All of my photo files are in my Dropbox in various subfolders. I am constantly using all of the photos in one of the subfolders as rotating wallpaper with each image on screen for one minute. Each image displays as a 38x26 inch photo with the top two and bottom two inches cropped off by the screen size. It's not pixel peeping but at this size, I can see images that are out of focus or have other flaws that I did not see on the 27" iMac. I started with about 7300 files, which included RAW and Jpeg pairs and I'm down to about 1900 worth keeping.

-- hide signature --

Bill S.
www.flickr.com/photos/wrs1946
instagram.com@billschaffel
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
- Henri Cartier-Bresson -

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica M9 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* 2,8/35 ZM Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads