That stonking big 4K TV you bought for your photos

Started Sep 17, 2018 | Discussions
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
That stonking big 4K TV you bought for your photos

how well is is working out ?
Do you keep it near the computer to help with editing ?
Did it end up in another room just for displaying photos full time ?
Did it end up being "just" a TV which you use once in a blue moon to look at some photos ?
Did you buy a cheapie and properly adjusted, found it more than good enough or should you have spent more ?
If you spent a bomb, was it worth it ?
Just interested in usage experiences.
FWIW, we can buy 60" of 4K here for OZ $600, i'm sure the motion is rubbish, but people seem to be able to get the colour about right; why spend more for stills ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,679
Re: That stonking big 4K TV you bought for your photos

Ron Poelman wrote:

Great!

I use it as my computer monitor, full time.

No.

Did it end up being "just" a TV which you use once in a blue moon to look at some photos ?

No.

Did you buy a cheapie and properly adjusted, found it more than good enough or should you have spent more ?

Cheapie.

Well, sort of.  The one I use on my computer is a $299 40" Samsung.  But my display ones are Vizio P-series, which are quite a lot higher-end.

FWIW, we can buy 60" of 4K here for OZ $600, i'm sure the motion is rubbish, but people seem to be able to get the colour about right; why spend more for stills ?

Dynamic range.  I'm surprised how the Vizio's shine in this area.  The brights are stunningly bright and the blacks are dark and smooth compared to the cheapie.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,935

Ron Poelman wrote:

65" LG in my living room. TV  most of the time but special family events it has slide show running. Also use it for wife and I when we reminisce.

No

no

Yes

Just set the colour controls to their nominal positions -- Fine for me for slide shows

It was cheap -- US$400

-- hide signature --

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,917
I buy 4K TVs for movies.

But it is convenient that my honking big files  look terrific when the screen saver comes on.

-- hide signature --

dw

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 13,945

A couple of years ago I bought a 65" Samsung Series 8 SUHD TV.  I bought it to watch movies.  I do not watch broadcast TV anymore.  I have yet to use it to view any of my photos, although I do use it to watch my edited 4K videos.  I also have an android media box that supports 4K60P (Minix U9-H).

My photo viewing is done in large part on my desktop computer, which has a 28" 4K monitor.  I find 28" is too small for 4K resolution, so I have plans to upgrade my monitor next year to about 40".  Did I mention I also do a lot of gaming.

The rest of my photo viewing is done on my smartphone.

By the way, the Hollywood movies look fabulous on the SUHD TV.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +49 more
Ron Poelman
OP Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
Re: I buy 4K TVs for movies.

did that force you to rethink your PP ?
Or, do you PP the full file and just press the resize button for your screen saver and then go on to produce the "real" picture for posting/display elsewhere ?
I worry sometimes that my producing a "final" at 1440p may not be the smartest move nowadays, as my next toys will be 4K for sure.

-- hide signature --

Ron.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R Sony a7R +25 more
trungtran Contributing Member • Posts: 939

You can't get a bad TV from a known brand these days.

Everyone should have one if they watch photos or read documents on the big screen.

1080p is fine for most people, but the next upgrade should be 4k.

Can't wait for touchscreen on TV to be more affordable.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 13,827

I don’t have a 4K TV, but I do have a 5K iMac, that I purchased three or so years ago. My observations:

• When I first got the iMac, I started getting severe headaches while using the computer. My eyeglass prescription is old, but I did have some computer glasses that I hardly ever used before; these worked well with my computer but I did have to move it closer that I had ever used a computer before. My headaches went away. 
  • Even at the new closer distance, I cannot perceive the monitor pixels. Typically, I set the zoom to 200 or 300% when I pixel peep.
  • If I zoom to 100%, I can see the entirety of the images from my older cameras, and most of my images from my newest.
  • Lens quality differences have become painfully obvious now. 
 Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,168

I use 65” 4k Samsung TV to view photos and family 4k videos. It looks incredible. In fact it inspired me to learn 4k videography and now I do more video than I’ve ever done. I’ve always preferred photos to video but it’s 50/50% now. 4k cinema grade video from full frame with external mic of you child growing up is fantastic and every frame can be be extracted as a high resolution still. As far as watching movies and tv shows, 1080p looks fine because those movies and shows are typically downscaled from higher resolutions so it looks much sharper than your typical 1080p home video. It’s only broadcast tv which is poor quality so I never watch that.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
JRP64
JRP64 Contributing Member • Posts: 714

Ron Poelman wrote:

Very Well for my wallet still has money in it. 

Don't have a 4K TV, but I do my work on an iMac with 5K Display

Nope, I have it right in front of me

I just watch baseball on my TV and most of the time I on my computer working.

Don't plan on buy a 4K TV unless my current standard HDTV goes on the fritz.

N/A

-- hide signature --

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,316
4K TV

Not stonking but a sensible size for the room and our watching habits. It's a 43" LG 4K smart TV bought from Brisbane as the price was significantly better than in Sydney.

Ron Poelman wrote:

Fine.

No, edit done usually on notebooks for not-so-important stuff, done on 24" 1920x1200 calibrated IPS monitor for "important" stuff.

No.

A bit more than just blue moon use for photos, usually plug in a USB stick of some collection to have a look.

Most times it acts as a monitor for a fancy-schmancy triple tuner PVR blu-ray player, often looking at TV broadcast movies another night and skid through the ads so we get to bed earlier.

Sometimes use the TV in its smart mode to go You-Tubing (but not for cat videos) and also catch up watching of programs from various local channels if we failed to record them.

TV and PVR are cabled to the home network so they get firmware updates easily and fairly regularly it seems with the TV. Maybe one day I'll master using my NAS as a storage device for media, currently it is just a big backup device.

Not so cheap really, just made sure that it wasn't in shop mode and things look OK.

A bomb as far as I was concerned (Just under Oz$1,000 to watch crappy TV programs?) but in reality it was definitely cheaper than some that JBHiFi advertise. A new car will come before an 77" 4K OLED screen at Oz$12,996, that is way way way down in the list.

The stuff that Aldi flogs regularly seems OK, have a couple of their small (24") sets, but they never had a smartie like the LG model in the size I wanted so settled with LG. Are the cheapies reliable and can they be warranty repaired easily?

The expected life of these gadgets now is way shorter than the CRT TVs that I used to have as all electronic gear is just seen as short life throwaway stuff. Depressing, isn't it?

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Ron Poelman
OP Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,440
Re: 4K TV

Guy Parsons wrote:

The stuff that Aldi flogs regularly seems OK, have a couple of their small (24") sets, but they never had a smartie like the LG model in the size I wanted so settled with LG. Are the cheapies reliable and can they be warranty repaired easily?

The expected life of these gadgets now is way shorter than the CRT TVs that I used to have as all electronic gear is just seen as short life throwaway stuff. Depressing, isn't it?

Regards..... Guy

Got over smart TV's a while ago, they are dead slow and most lock you out of "non-partner" sites. I just built a little PC to drive the telly with a combo mouse/keyboard wireless gadget and all is well.
We subscribe to MotoGP and it all streams as well as the useless NBN allows.
Live TV still gets recorded straight to USB as that bit seems to work OK.
I was going to put a card in to watch TV while recording but refurb STB's are like $30 !
Maybe we're lucky, but we have great runs out of Panasonic plassies.
Even our old Onkyo got fixed well out of warranty due to the dodgy  I/O module (Texas Instruments I think). It all plods along reasonably with a Logitech Harmony for control.

But, has 4K changed your workflow significantly ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.

Guy Parsons
Re: 4K TV

Ron Poelman wrote:

But, has 4K changed your workflow significantly ?

No, not at all.

In future I may try making 4K slide shows with ProShow Gold but sitting back at near 3 metres then 4K really is a waste of megapickles, even 1MP files look good at that distance.

Regards..... Guy

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +4 more
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,707

I actually just bought a 4K 55" TV for $375 last week, mostly because they are so cheap and I wanted a smart TV so I could work towards cutting the cable bill.

I have thought about looking at images on it, but have no idea how to go about it. It is in a room nowhere near a computer. Du people just put it on a USB thumb drive? If so how do you navigate? Hook up their laptops through an HDMI port? Interested in hearing how people view images on these things.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 54,679

Mackiesback wrote:

I actually just bought a 4K 55" TV for $375 last week, mostly because they are so cheap and I wanted a smart TV so I could work towards cutting the cable bill.

I have thought about looking at images on it, but have no idea how to go about it. It is in a room nowhere near a computer. Du people just put it on a USB thumb drive? If so how do you navigate? Hook up their laptops through an HDMI port? Interested in hearing how people view images on these things.

Chromecast or HDMI.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
trungtran Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Mackiesback wrote:

If you have a smartphone, you can start with that. It is really a different experience looking at photos on the big screen.

Your smart TV and phone should have a casting feature. Turn that on and whatever you see on your phone you can mimic on the big screen.

If you have a chromecast or the TV is chromecast enabled you can cast your desktop/laptop.

You will need to setup it up, but once done it is simple as clicking on the cast button in the chrome browser.

trungtran's gear list:trungtran's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7 II Canon EOS M6
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 6,707

trungtran wrote:

Mackiesback wrote:

If you have a smartphone, you can start with that. It is really a different experience looking at photos on the big screen.

Your smart TV and phone should have a casting feature. Turn that on and whatever you see on your phone you can mimic on the big screen.

If you have a chromecast or the TV is chromecast enabled you can cast your desktop/laptop.

You will need to setup it up, but once done it is simple as clicking on the cast button in the chrome browser.

Rather than pepper you with questions about this casting feature, I did a quick Google search and found out more. I have an iPhone 8 running the latest IOS, and my TV is not an Apple TV. I do have a Chromecast dongle out in the garage. And I downloaded the iMedia Share app, so it looks like I can get phone and tablet content on to the big TV, but that is not where my archive is stored.

I saw an ad for a product called Photostick on one the the YouTube videos explaining this stuff, and basically it's a usb thumb drive that finds all the photos in your computer hard drive and loads them onto the stick. I suppose I would just plug that into the usb port on the TV and there they would be. Curious to what this Photostick does above and beyond just a standard thumb drive for the $29.95 they want. I will play around with it tonight.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +18 more
Guy Parsons
Making it work.

My gogglebox is LG and runs WebOS, but is an older version and not like this one for 2018 https://www.lg.com/au/lgoled/AI.jsp?cmpid=2018HQSEM_TV_AP_Smart-AI-Brand_Exact-0628_Web-OS-TV_k3065&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPfRgqbF3QIVVD5gCh0U-wzrEAAYASAAEgK87vD_BwE#intro

That 2018 model you can talk to, mine I have a radio remote and I need to "press buttons" on the screen to get to the similar features. Owned it a year or two but have never explored all its features yet. As I mentioned, I have yet to get it all organised enough to explore the media content backup stored on my NAS. One day I'll get around to it...... Most likely I'll first need to reorganise the way the media content is stored?

The new one understands English (USA/Australia/Canada/United Kingdom), German, Spanish (Mexico/Spain), French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Turkish, Russian, Korean. But the final small prints says "Please note that voice recognition service may be changed, removed or terminated without notice, by LGE or its third party providers."

Regards.... Guy

kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,533
My 55" 4k TV is also my computer monitor

My 55" 4k TV is also my computer monitor.

I built a very quiet HTPC a few years ago that sits in the corner of my lounge with a wireless keyboard and mouse at hand on the sofa. All my photo editing is also done on this setup.

-- hide signature --
 kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
TheClueless
TheClueless Senior Member • Posts: 2,016
A few issues - aspect ratio, impact for size and bezels

I've been experimenting with multi-TV displays with NVIDIA Mosaic (the commercial-use version of Surround) as solely picture and video displays, and there are a few problems I have with the setups for stills. With video it's absolutely not a problem of course because you're not contemplating everything frame by frame.

First, aspect ratio. You can arrange monitors in various configurations but I've never got a setup that looks right with 4:3 and 3:2 ratio photos. I really need large 3:2 monitors to make this happen.

Second, when you go multimonitor then you have to deal with bezels - and while it's getting smaller every year, it's still a factor. Mosaic corrects for bezels but when you're looking at the pix it just looks wrong.

Lastly is the impact for size - I find that I need significantly bigger monitors than I need for prints to create the same kind of impact on the wall with a shot, when you're actually looking at it as opposed to using it as electronic wallpaper. Which inevitably means multiple monitors, and this can end up overwhelming the wall you have the setup on. I'm not sure if that comes through as a proper explanation but it's definitely a problem for me.

So next trial, I'm going bigger with QLED TV's. I suspect I won't be happy until 8K ~50" 3:2 monitors magically appear though.

TheClueless's gear list:TheClueless's gear list
Leica M10 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 +73 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads