Improved tripod mount for P1000

Started Sep 17, 2018 | Discussions
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,104
Improved tripod mount for P1000

I recently suggested that one could use a 150mm plate to reduce torque on the 1/4" tripod socket when the camera is in landscape mode.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4319655

The modification below permits you to use the plate in both portrait and landscape modes

The bottom of the P1K has a small step just proximal to the focus ring

Step 1: Cover the bottom of the camera with a sheet of food wrap to protect it from the epoxy used in step 3. This is important.

Step 2: Remove the two rubber pads from the end of the 150mm plate using a sharp pointy object, and scrape off any residual adhesive

Step 3: Put a glob of epoxy on the end of the 150mm plate and mount the plate to the camera using the endmost slot. Align the plate with the camera axis.

After the epoxy has hardened, remove the plate from the camera and discard the food wrap. You'll end up with something like this. Yours will probably be neater than mine, but the important part is to see the depression which matches the step at the bottom of the camera. You can always add a bit more epoxy if you need it, or scrape off excess with a file or knife.

Step 4: Re-mount the plate in its previous position and fasten it to the camera using cable ties. I use two 12" ties from the local hardware store, but used shorter red ones for the picture so you could seem them more easily

The cable ties should be tight enough to prevent the plate from moving sideways, which is equivalent to "keeping camera's step in the epoxy slot" if you did everything properly

The camera now mounts easily in portrait mode, without overtightening the 1/4" screw and without stress on the cable ties, since the weight is carried by the step in the epoxy slot.

The plate does not interfere with the focus ring rotation.

Hope you find this useful.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950
Nikon Coolpix P1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: Improved tripod mount for P1000

..Thanks for sharing this!

..Cheers..

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Rob Kipp
Rob Kipp Regular Member • Posts: 326

This looks good Sherm, thank you.  What make head do you have here?

Rob

Rob Kipp's gear list:Rob Kipp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D800E Nikon Z6
sherman_levine
OP sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,104

Rob Kipp wrote:

This looks good Sherm, thank you. What make head do you have here?

Rob

It's a Vanguard alta Pro 263AT with this head

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2XCPGY

Nothing special about it. Seems to work ok

-- hide signature --
Rob Kipp

sherman_levine wrote:

Rob Kipp wrote:

Rob

Hi Sherman,

Will the Quick Releas Plate you noted earlier fit this head without the adapter?

Thank you-   Rob

sherman_levine

Rob Kipp wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

Rob Kipp wrote:

Rob

Hi Sherman,

Will the Quick Releas Plate you noted earlier fit this head without the adapter?

Thank you- Rob

Yes.

-- hide signature --
Rob Kipp

sherman_levine wrote:

Hi Sherman,

Thank you- Rob

Yes.

Nice, I was able to cancel the adapter I ordeered and got your pan head.

Rob

mhsvz Junior Member • Posts: 33

sherman_levine wrote:

I recently suggested that one could use a 150mm plate to reduce torque on the 1/4" tripod socket when the camera is in landscape mode.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4319655

The modification below permits you to use the plate in both portrait and landscape modes

The bottom of the P1K has a small step just proximal to the focus ring

Step 1: Cover the bottom of the camera with a sheet of food wrap to protect it from the epoxy used in step 3. This is important.

Step 2: Remove the two rubber pads from the end of the 150mm plate using a sharp pointy object, and scrape off any residual adhesive

Step 3: Put a glob of epoxy on the end of the 150mm plate and mount the plate to the camera using the endmost slot. Align the plate with the camera axis.

After the epoxy has hardened, remove the plate from the camera and discard the food wrap. You'll end up with something like this. Yours will probably be neater than mine, but the important part is to see the depression which matches the step at the bottom of the camera. You can always add a bit more epoxy if you need it, or scrape off excess with a file or knife.

Step 4: Re-mount the plate in its previous position and fasten it to the camera using cable ties. I use two 12" ties from the local hardware store, but used shorter red ones for the picture so you could seem them more easily

The cable ties should be tight enough to prevent the plate from moving sideways, which is equivalent to "keeping camera's step in the epoxy slot" if you did everything properly

The camera now mounts easily in portrait mode, without overtightening the 1/4" screw and without stress on the cable ties, since the weight is carried by the step in the epoxy slot.

The plate does not interfere with the focus ring rotation.

Hope you find this useful.

Great idea - thank you!

huyzer
huyzer Senior Member • Posts: 2,939
Anyone have a problem with the 1/4 20 hole in the camera?

It seems that when I screw in a plate onto my P1000, it doesn't hold tight as my other cameras, with the same tripod plate and screw.  I don't want to crank down on it (as it's not necessary for other cameras) and risk stripping something.
Thank you,
Huy

huyzer's gear list:huyzer's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a7S II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +1 more
sherman_levine
Re: Anyone have a problem with the 1/4 20 hole in the camera?

huyzer wrote:

It seems that when I screw in a plate onto my P1000, it doesn't hold tight as my other cameras, with the same tripod plate and screw. I don't want to crank down on it (as it's not necessary for other cameras) and risk stripping something.
Thank you,
Huy

Perhaps the screw is too long.

-- hide signature --
huyzer

sherman_levine wrote:

huyzer wrote:

It seems that when I screw in a plate onto my P1000, it doesn't hold tight as my other cameras, with the same tripod plate and screw. I don't want to crank down on it (as it's not necessary for other cameras) and risk stripping something.
Thank you,
Huy

Perhaps the screw is too long.

That's an absolutely reasonable deduction.
I went and checked the other two screws they supplied with the Ronin-S gimbal, and they were all the same length from bottom of the head base, to the tip of the screw.  I grabbed a different tripod head plate and noticed the length from bottom of head base to tip of screw, and that was the same, too.  The difference was the thickness of the head.  Bingo!  There's the culprit.  Thank you!  The simplest fix, ever.      I should have really checked this before typing up the question.    Thank you though!!!

Nikon D800 Sony a7S II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +1 more
bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

I did something similar but my original intent was to configure my tripod set up so that, when the P1000's lens is fully extended, the center of gravity (CG) of the camera is more nearly over the central axis of the tripod. My particular tripod has a non-Arca Swiss quick release plate so I put together a combination of readily available items to do this.

NOTE: As regards the original post (OP) in this thread, I could do what's described below, substituting a 150mm Hoage QR plate for the 120mm if desired, and then rotate the tripod head to achieve a portrait orientation. On further review, however, that still begs the issue of preventing undue stress on the 1/4"-20 stud.

1) Rock Steady SS Stainless Steel 1/4" to 3/8" Bushing Adapter

2) Haoge 64mm Screw Knob Clamp Adapter Mount for Quick Release (QR) Arca Swiss Plate

3) Haoge 120mm Quick Release Plate With Dual Dovetail and D-Ring Screw

The Bushing Adapter attaches to the 1/4"-20 stud on the non-Arca Swiss QR plate on the tripod. The Clamp Adapter Mount which accepts Arca Swiss QR plates is then attached to it. Finally, the 120mm long QR plate is installed. The slot in it allows the P1000 to be positioned so that the CG of the camera is more nearly over the central axis of tripod with the lens fully extended.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +20 more
huyzer

bluzman wrote:

2) Haoge 64mm Screw Knob Clamp Adapter Mount for Quick Release (QR) Arca Swiss Plate

3) Haoge 120mm Quick Release Plate With Dual Dovetail and D-Ring Screw

The Bushing Adapter attaches to the 1/4"-20 stud on the non-Arca Swiss QR plate on the tripod. The Clamp Adapter Mount which accepts Arca Swiss QR plates is then attached to it. Finally, the 120mm long QR plate is installed. The slot in it allows the P1000 to be positioned so that the CG of the camera is more nearly over the central axis of tripod with the lens fully extended.

Hello bluzman,
Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and make the post.  I definitely feel the weight transfer as the lens extends towards the longest setting.
And, boy, does that look long in picture!  I never really noticed it live, as I'm usually behind the camera, but, "Yowzers", that lens is a beast!  xD  Hahahaha
Cheers,
Huy

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,378

Using plastic wrap as a mold-release, is a good trick.  If I did this, I'd use black zip-ties and three of them for the safety of redundancy.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
sherman_levine

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Using plastic wrap as a mold-release, is a good trick. If I did this, I'd use black zip-ties and three of them for the safety of redundancy.

Thanks. The red ties were for demonstration only. I do use much heavier black ones.

-- hide signature --
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,224

Looks like it works well, thank you Sherm!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

Yet another piece of kit that might be modified/adapted to yield a solution.

FOTGA L200 Telephoto Lens Quick Release Plate Long-Focus Support Holder

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDFY3DZ/?coliid=IHH640U7IT0YJ&colid=2KPHE0F2U0VJ1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

FOTGA L200 Telephoto Lens Quick Release Plate Long-Focus Support Holder

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 +20 more
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 701

Such a mount is easy to make yourself if you possess elementary technical skills, a minimal set of tools in your garage, and a small amount of free time. (For me the last one was the worst. )

I made one for myself after I bought P1000. I have 324RC2 ball head put on my tripod, and the length of the P1000's barrel proved to be too much for it: when I released the handle grip, the image in the viewfinder was shifting down vertically, sometimes even as much as 1/4 of the frame. To avoid it I needed to shift the camera's center of gravity to the back.

I am not going to dive deep into technicalities, only say that I used a standard 6061 aluminum cut to size, and Manfrotto quick release (I have them on all equipment I have; I hate screwing and unscrewing things, especially when the photo subject is moving away while I'm doing it...)

Putting quick release on both ends allowed me to use a camera without it and reconnect it quickly.

(Pictures taken with iPad, only to show the design details, without paying much attention to quality.)

Maybe it's not fancy stylish black, but it's exactly what I wanted, and works pretty well!

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,224

Excellent mount. great idea!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
sherman_levine

DAP MV wrote:

Such a mount is easy to make yourself if you possess elementary technical skills, a minimal set of tools in your garage, and a small amount of free time. (For me the last one was the worst. )

I made one for myself after I bought P1000. I have 324RC2 ball head put on my tripod, and the length of the P1000's barrel proved to be too much for it: when I released the handle grip, the image in the viewfinder was shifting down vertically, sometimes even as much as 1/4 of the frame. To avoid it I needed to shift the camera's center of gravity to the back.

I am not going to dive deep into technicalities, only say that I used a standard 6061 aluminum cut to size, and Manfrotto quick release (I have them on all equipment I have; I hate screwing and unscrewing things, especially when the photo subject is moving away while I'm doing it...)

Putting quick release on both ends allowed me to use a camera without it and reconnect it quickly.

(Pictures taken with iPad, only to show the design details, without paying much attention to quality.)

Maybe it's not fancy stylish black, but it's exactly what I wanted, and works pretty well!

The advantage of the long QR plate is that the weight of the camera is divided between the two ends of the plate, and the torque on the mounting bolt is thereby much diminished.

The P900 has had several reports of cracking at the 1/4" bolt mount. I've not seen any for the P1000, but why take the chance?

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads