500 pf samples from me

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,683
Re: 500 pf samples from me

Ricardo00 wrote:

Some great shots Lance and you are one lucky fellow!

Thank you very much, Ricardo.

Just a comment (please don't take this wrong), but it doesn't look like you post your photos anymore on your Flickr website?

Yes, I have been using Flickr very much lately but don't post so many "test" shots like these and not as many bird shots lately. Most test shots are on Pbase and a just put a few on Flickr. Some of my later shots on Flickr have been a few rehashes of some old photos that I reedited and it will show when the photo was taken meaning it looks like I haven't posted in a while when in reality I have been.

Did just find some on PBase. PBase does list all the old albums even when you click on "recent" so saw those first (which didn't have the photos with this lens). See some with this lens in some of the latter albums (guess not used to how PBase organizes stuff, thought recent should only be recent photos).

Unfortunately, you have to set it up so that the recent photos are displayed first in any album/gallery. I didn't do this from the start and thus it still puts new photos at the end of a gallery rather than at the beginning.

Ricardo00

PS. I post mine on flickr (a few with the 500mm f/5.6 as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60519499@N00/

Great gallery, some excellent photos!

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
Ricardo00 Contributing Member • Posts: 524

Lance B wrote:

Ricardo00 wrote:

Some great shots Lance and you are one lucky fellow!

Thank you very much, Ricardo.

Just a comment (please don't take this wrong), but it doesn't look like you post your photos anymore on your Flickr website?

Yes, I have been using Flickr very much lately but don't post so many "test" shots like these and not as many bird shots lately. Most test shots are on Pbase and a just put a few on Flickr. Some of my later shots on Flickr have been a few rehashes of some old photos that I reedited and it will show when the photo was taken meaning it looks like I haven't posted in a while when in reality I have been.

Did just find some on PBase. PBase does list all the old albums even when you click on "recent" so saw those first (which didn't have the photos with this lens). See some with this lens in some of the latter albums (guess not used to how PBase organizes stuff, thought recent should only be recent photos).

Unfortunately, you have to set it up so that the recent photos are displayed first in any album/gallery. I didn't do this from the start and thus it still puts new photos at the end of a gallery rather than at the beginning.

Ricardo00

PS. I post mine on flickr (a few with the 500mm f/5.6 as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60519499@N00/

Great gallery, some excellent photos!

Thanks Lance!  Glad to hear about your Flickr site, now I can follow and see the photos as you post!

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Bruce Crossan Contributing Member • Posts: 504

Thanks for sharing Lance - some great images.  I am planning to get one. . . but have just one hesitation.  If I one day want to use it on a Z6 or Z7, and a 1.4x TC, I will have two devices (adapter and TC) between the lens and camera.

Should this be a concern?  I guess the low-ish weight of the lens would help to mitigate the stress on the bayonet connections. . .

-- hide signature --
 Bruce Crossan's gear list:Bruce Crossan's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +1 more
xPhoenix
xPhoenix Senior Member • Posts: 1,654

Bruce Crossan wrote:

Thanks for sharing Lance - some great images. I am planning to get one. . . but have just one hesitation. If I one day want to use it on a Z6 or Z7, and a 1.4x TC, I will have two devices (adapter and TC) between the lens and camera.

Should this be a concern? I guess the low-ish weight of the lens would help to mitigate the stress on the bayonet connections. . .

This was a concern for me, too, but I don't plan on going ML any time soon.  When they release a real pro camera, and superteles, then maybe I'll think about it.

xPhoenix's gear list:xPhoenix's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +4 more
jeanphilippe Goube Senior Member • Posts: 1,920

Lance B wrote:

jeanphilippe Goube wrote:

Nice serie Mike !

Thank you very much, but it is Lance, not Mike.:-)

I'm waiting mine, may be next Week;

How do you compare it in terms of sharpness vs a 400 f2.8 FL with a 1,4 TC ?

The 400 + 1.4x TC is possibly still a tad sharper.

I Wonder if the iso value of the shot 13 is correct ? Iso 8000 seems unlogical compared to the other falcons shots with more or less the same parameters (1/4000, f5.6) and as the time of capture is the same, I assume that the light conditions are the same ?

Regards

Certainly is ISO8000. However, I think I was shooting at that particular time with Auto ISO and had it dialled up by 2/3 stop. This was because they were flying in the sky, but this one decided to fly below the cliff and the camera was fooled by the relatively dark water so it boosted up the ISO. It was a tad over exposed, but I dialled it down in post.

Well you really made a great job in post processing the picture as the noise is clean too. According to photonstophoto website, it is not useful to go past 6400 or maybe 8000 iso with the D850, as higher iso are reached without analogical amplification. But maybe you already know that and you have limited the upper iso limit to 8000 (which I did) ?

Regards

-- hide signature --

jpgoube

jeanphilippe Goube's gear list:jeanphilippe Goube's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Pentax Q Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +13 more
theraven871 Regular Member • Posts: 470

Lens looks to be a winner.

Can't believe how small these new PF lenses are.

theraven871's gear list:theraven871's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +13 more

Lance B wrote:

Nice serie Mike !

Thank you very much, but it is Lance, not Mike.:-)

I'm waiting mine, may be next Week;

How do you compare it in terms of sharpness vs a 400 f2.8 FL with a 1,4 TC ?

The 400 + 1.4x TC is possibly still a tad sharper.

I Wonder if the iso value of the shot 13 is correct ? Iso 8000 seems unlogical compared to the other falcons shots with more or less the same parameters (1/4000, f5.6) and as the time of capture is the same, I assume that the light conditions are the same ?

Regards

Certainly is ISO8000. However, I think I was shooting at that particular time with Auto ISO and had it dialled up by 2/3 stop. This was because they were flying in the sky, but this one decided to fly below the cliff and the camera was fooled by the relatively dark water so it boosted up the ISO. It was a tad over exposed, but I dialled it down in post.

Well you really made a great job in post processing the picture as the noise is clean too. According to photonstophoto website, it is not useful to go past 6400 or maybe 8000 iso with the D850, as higher iso are reached without analogical amplification. But maybe you already know that and you have limited the upper iso limit to 8000 (which I did) ?

Regards

Thank you for your comments. No, I don't have an upper limit set.

Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
DiverX
DiverX Senior Member • Posts: 2,361

Awesome job Lance! Mine was supposed to be shipped to me the day they came out (NPS) but we had a hurricane on the way, I live in Myrtle Beach, SC now. I had them ship it to a friend of mine who owns LensCoat because he wasn't able to get his hands on one to make a template for the covers. I'm home now and he will be shipping it to me Wednesday so will have it Thursday.

Really curious about using the x1.4 converter and how much it slows it down. I have a 600VR but some days not in the mood to carry it around here when its 90+ degrees! Hand held lenses seem to be a better tool around here since lots of flight stuff.

Thanks for posting and hope you are well!!

George

-- hide signature --
 DiverX's gear list:DiverX's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D500

DiverX wrote:

Awesome job Lance! Mine was supposed to be shipped to me the day they came out (NPS) but we had a hurricane on the way, I live in Myrtle Beach, SC now. I had them ship it to a friend of mine who owns LensCoat because he wasn't able to get his hands on one to make a template for the covers. I'm home now and he will be shipping it to me Wednesday so will have it Thursday.

Really curious about using the x1.4 converter and how much it slows it down. I have a 600VR but some days not in the mood to carry it around here when its 90+ degrees! Hand held lenses seem to be a better tool around here since lots of flight stuff.

George

Thank you very much for your kind comments and best wishes, George.

I know exactly what you mean about being less than inspired to take out the "big guns" on a very hot day. The same with my 400 f2.8 FL VR, it just doesn't seem worth it sometimes, LOL. In this case, you will *love* the 500 PF, just like carrying a 70-200 f2.8!

Look forward to your results and thoughts.

PS. Tell the guy who owns LensCoat that his products are good and I have one for my 400 f2.8 FL VR. A good company to deal with.

jeminijoseph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,550
I'll get s LensCoat for mine

DiverX wrote:

George

Thanks for arranging it. I always get LensCoat for big lenses. This is one them for sure.Saves from scratches and scuff marks due to the sweat. It keeps the value of the expensive lens.

My lens will be here by end of the week. Hope hurricane didn't affect u personally. Last year we were fleeing due to Irma

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph
http://wildbirdimages.com/

jeminijoseph's gear list:jeminijoseph's gear list
Nikon D500
DiverX
Re: I'll get s LensCoat for mine

I’m thinking Scott will have them ready to ship this week. I always get them also.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4 Nikon D500
DiverX

Will definitely let him know. Looking forward to using the lens this week and will post a few.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4 Nikon D500

DiverX wrote:

I’m thinking Scott will have them ready to ship this week. I always get them also.

Isn't it the same brand that's sold in B&H?

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph

Nikon D500
DiverX

Yes!!

-- hide signature --
Nikon D4 Nikon D500
BirdieMaker Contributing Member • Posts: 513
What's 10/10?

Lance B wrote:

cnzsystem wrote:

Would you say AF is similar to 300mm F4 PF? How's the keeper rate on D850 compared 70-200 FL?

I have used the 300pf but that was many years ago and I can't remember how well it focuses. It wouldn't be as fast as the 70-200 FL, which would also be a 9/10 for focus speed

If the 400E and 70-200E are both 9/10, what's 10/10?

BirdieMaker's gear list:BirdieMaker's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 III Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 +8 more
Re: What's 10/10?

BirdieMaker wrote:

Lance B wrote:

cnzsystem wrote:

Would you say AF is similar to 300mm F4 PF? How's the keeper rate on D850 compared 70-200 FL?

I have used the 300pf but that was many years ago and I can't remember how well it focuses. It wouldn't be as fast as the 70-200 FL, which would also be a 9/10 for focus speed

If the 400E and 70-200E are both 9/10, what's 10/10?

Can there really be the perfect focusing lens? If you say that the best focusing current lens is a 10/10, then yes, the 400 f2.8E FL VR would probably be it.

Thank you

DiverX wrote:

Yes!!

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph

Nikon D500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads