500 pf samples from me

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,294
500 pf samples from me

I've had mine for over a week or so, a mistake by Nikon, I've been under an embargo.

What do I think? Stunning lens considering the size and weight. It's quite amazing. Sharp from wide open, there is no need to stop down other than for DOF purposes. AF speed is fast, not 400 f2.8E FL VR fast, but I managed to track Peregrine Falcons with it and get some great shots. If the 400 f2.8 is a 9/10 for AF speed, then the 500 PF is a good 7.5/10, the 200-500 is a 5/10.

Sample gallery. Look at them at "original" size which is shown under the image. There are options for size: "Small", ",Medium", "Large" and "Original". Choose original as this is the largest size.

All EXIF intact and there is a drop down box under the image on my site which displays the EXIF as well.

Some samples all on the D850. Some cropped some original and uncropped.

Shot through mesh

Crop of above

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +13 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cnzsystem Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: 500 pf samples from me

Would you say AF is similar to 300mm F4 PF? How's the keeper rate on D850 compared 70-200 FL?

Sandeep Kumar Regular Member • Posts: 412

Well, they chose the right person to deliver first to.  Thanks for the sample images.  Gives me great confidence to get this lens.  Mine should arrive today or tomorrow.

Sandeep Kumar's gear list:Sandeep Kumar's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +11 more
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 31,294

cnzsystem wrote:

Would you say AF is similar to 300mm F4 PF? How's the keeper rate on D850 compared 70-200 FL?

I have used the 300pf but that was many years ago and I can't remember how well it focuses. It wouldn't be as fast as the 70-200 FL, which would also be a 9/10 for focus speed

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +13 more
ExposureMeter
ExposureMeter Senior Member • Posts: 1,783

Great images Lance. Which AU store did you pick it up from.

I want one

-- hide signature --

Geoff
Gold Coast, Australia

ExposureMeter's gear list:ExposureMeter's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR +19 more
jeminijoseph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,480
You Lance :)

I know you been posting here and there. I didn't think you had one :). Thanks for posting these pictures. Glad I pre-ordered..

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph
http://wildbirdimages.com/

jeminijoseph's gear list:jeminijoseph's gear list
Nikon D500
Roy Kikuta Senior Member • Posts: 1,676

Impressive photos from the hands of soneone who knows what they're doing - well done!

Aloha,

Roy

Allen L
Allen L Junior Member • Posts: 37

Lance B wrote:

I've had mine for over a week or so, a mistake by Nikon, I've been under an embargo.

What do I think? Stunning lens considering the size and weight. It's quite amazing. Sharp from wide open, there is no need to stop down other than for DOF purposes. AF speed is fast, not 400 f2.8E FL VR fast, but I managed to track Peregrine Falcons with it and get some great shots. If the 400 f2.8 is a 9/10 for AF speed, then the 500 PF is a good 7.5/10, the 200-500 is a 5/10.

Sample gallery. Look at them at "original" size which is shown under the image. There are options for size: "Small", ",Medium", "Large" and "Original". Choose original as this is the largest size.

All EXIF intact and there is a drop down box under the image on my site which displays the EXIF as well.

Shot through mesh

Crop of above

That is the answer I am waiting.  Nikon has my money on this one!  Thank you for the comparison.

-- hide signature --
Geomaticsman
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,250

Wow Lance, forget the lens...I love those falcon shots! Sweet!

-- hide signature --

Gary - I prefer Nikon and long primes

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
SkySpades Regular Member • Posts: 161

Lance B wrote:

Some samples all on the D850. Some cropped some original and uncropped

Thanks for sharing, Lance, the images are phenomenal.

SkySpades's gear list:SkySpades's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +1 more
Allen L
Allen L Junior Member • Posts: 37
OleThorsen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,111

Thanks a lot for these super samples Lance. These look plenty sharp for me. Only in a few situations the background look fuzzy like the fence behind the eagle, but that can also occur with other VR telephoto lenses. Unfortunately some of the in-camera settings got stripped by your Photoshop editing tool, like VR on/off, VR mode AF modes etc.

Did you try it on your D500, and if you did, how did it perform AF/sharpness/contrast etc?

Regards
Ole Thorsen
http://www.pbase.com/ole_thorsen
OMNISCIENCE
Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience.
(Grook by Piet Hein)

OleThorsen's gear list:OleThorsen's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 +28 more
1elementin7groups
1elementin7groups Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Thanks for posting these. They all look sharp to me and those with OOF backgrounds look pleasing. I hope mine arrives within the week!

Dave

1elementin7groups's gear list:1elementin7groups's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,581

Thanks for posting this, looking good!!

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus TG-5 +75 more

Sandeep Kumar wrote:

Well, they chose the right person to deliver first to. Thanks for the sample images. Gives me great confidence to get this lens. Mine should arrive today or tomorrow.

Thank you, Sandeep. You will love this lens. 

ExposureMeter wrote:

Great images Lance.

Thank you very much. 

Which AU store did you pick it up from.

I want one

From Nikon on Broadway, Sydney.

Re: You Lance :)

jeminijoseph wrote:

I know you been posting here and there. I didn't think you had one :). Thanks for posting these pictures. Glad I pre-ordered..

Thank you very much, JJ. You will love this lens! 

Roy Kikuta wrote:

Impressive photos from the hands of soneone who knows what they're doing - well done!

Aloha,

Roy

Thank you very much, Roy! 

Allen L wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Shot through mesh

Crop of above

That is the answer I am waiting. Nikon has my money on this one! Thank you for the comparison.

No problems, its a great lens!

Geomaticsman wrote:

Wow Lance, forget the lens...I love those falcon shots! Sweet!

Thank you very much, Gary! 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads