Started Sep 12, 2018 | Discussions
manchumuq
manchumuq Junior Member • Posts: 32
Sigma is going to release new camera(s)

From a trustworthy source of Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Bang ~

manchumuq's gear list:manchumuq's gear list
Kodak DC265 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill +19 more
dpreviewblog Regular Member • Posts: 418
Re: Sigma is going to release new camera(s)

manchumuq wrote:

someday it will definitely happen )
---------------------------------
https://500px.com/my-shots and etc.
http://lightinspired.deviantart.com/ > Founder
http://lightinspired.deviantart.com/gallery/

dpreviewblog's gear list:dpreviewblog's gear list
Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma sd Quattro H Pentax K-1 II +8 more
Francesco Gentile
Francesco Gentile Regular Member • Posts: 138

For sure, we hope an Full Frame

-- hide signature --

Instagram: gentile.photo
Sigma SD1 Merrill - Samyang 16mm f2 (converted to SA)

Francesco Gentile's gear list:Francesco Gentile's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Mike Gerstner Veteran Member • Posts: 4,270

DSLR - 1.3 crop with 1:1:1 architecture and SD10 pixel density

Optical view finder with live view, 8 FPS, 12 stops of DR, In Camera AF microadjustment, state-of-the-art auto focus speed & accuracy

$1100.00

"mike.........mike?????? Wake up, Wake up......no time for a nap, sounds like you were dreamin'..........come on! you've got work to do!"

manchumuq
OP manchumuq Junior Member • Posts: 32

dpreviewblog wrote:

manchumuq wrote:

someday it will definitely happen )
---------------------------------
https://500px.com/my-shots and etc.
http://lightinspired.deviantart.com/ > Founder
http://lightinspired.deviantart.com/gallery/

Seriously, I mean later this year, or early months next year the latest.

-- hide signature --

Bang ~

Kodak DC265 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill +19 more
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 1,862

manchumuq wrote:

manchumuq,

Trustworthy to you but not to Sigma unless authorised to leak, highly unlikely though.

Having said that I'm sure they will release new camera(s) at some stage.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +3 more
atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

manchumuq wrote:

The sun will rise tomorrow...

From a trustworthy... - Nah! Scrub that! It's all hearsay -Believe me!

Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,369

manchumuq wrote:

We need more information before we can believe something like that from a new forum member with very little profile information. Does that sound reasonable Bang?

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
manchumuq
OP manchumuq Junior Member • Posts: 32

Well, whatever.

-- hide signature --

Bang ~

danski0224 Contributing Member • Posts: 970

The release of a new camera or 3 or 4 from Sigma is a virtual certainty.

I'd also like a 200mm f/1.8 and some extension tubes.

--
Moments in Time, a work in progress.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/142423236@N08/965cs3

Martin JC Senior Member • Posts: 2,735

manchumuq wrote:

oooh.  So, does the trustworthy source have some dates in mind or other info ..... 

Martin JC's gear list:Martin JC's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 8,318

I would like to believe this but maybe they have seen the writing on the wall.

If they did release a new camera and it still had a Foveon sensor I'd have to go some distance mentally to get to a point where I would consider buying it.

Sigma has done a wonderful job over the years sticking with their commitment to Foveon technology, but it seems to me that color filter array technology has now eclipsed it.

I'd love to see a Sigma camera with a modern Bayer sensor.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-T100 +10 more
Stephan Kleinert Forum Member • Posts: 92

Sigma has done a wonderful job over the years sticking with their commitment to Foveon technology, but it seems to me that color filter array technology has now eclipsed it.

Uh, where?

Uh, why?

Honestly, the Foveon sensor is the only reason why I'm interested (and investing) in Sigma cameras. And (at least in my humble opinion), its rendering, color response, detail resolution – heck, almost everything about it – is still quite different from everything else on the market today.

Of course I also quite enjoy my other cameras, and I've played with the latest and greatest, but when I look at a properly exposed and composed photograph coming from a Foveon sensor, I still can't shake the feeling that every other sensor is broken.

Take that away from Sigma cameras, and there's no longer any reason for buying them

Just my 2ct, of course.

-- hide signature --

http://massenbelichtungswaffen.de
(caution! includes images which wouldn't have been a problem in 1790, but are NSFW in 2010)

Stephan Kleinert's gear list:Stephan Kleinert's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus PEN-F Sigma sd Quattro +1 more
LasseS
LasseS Contributing Member • Posts: 676

Spot on!

LasseS's gear list:LasseS's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +2 more
richard stone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,111

Stephan Kleinert wrote:

Uh, where?

Uh, why?

Honestly, the Foveon sensor is the only reason why I'm interested (and investing) in Sigma cameras. And (at least in my humble opinion), its rendering, color response, detail resolution – heck, almost everything about it – is still quite different from everything else on the market today.

Of course I also quite enjoy my other cameras, and I've played with the latest and greatest, but when I look at a properly exposed and composed photograph coming from a Foveon sensor, I still can't shake the feeling that every other sensor is broken.

Take that away from Sigma cameras, and there's no longer any reason for buying them

Just my 2ct, of course.

I have to agree with you, but:

Not everyone sees the same thing when they look at an image, or looks for the same thing. And some people apparently look for, and fixate on, what the camera (and sensor, etc.) doesn't do, as strange as that may seem.

My other thought is that a large part of what goes on in this Forum is comparing the Merrill sensors to the Quattro. The Merrill is much loved, although I think a lot more people have bought, and will buy, the "Q" cameras.

The good Sigma images are a joy to see.

Richard

-- hide signature --
 richard stone's gear list:richard stone's gear list
Sigma SD10 Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
FDecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,759

Stephan Kleinert wrote:

Uh, where?

Uh, why?

Just my 2ct, of course.

I see it the same way. There are positive things to say about the design and handling of the Sigma cameras. I know, people have different oppions about it, but I really like the Bauhaus kind of elementary design of the dpQ and sdQ series. I think they show courage and dedication.

Think about the DP series which was the first compact camera with a large sensor. Or the decision to build a line of DPM and dpQ cameras with 4 different fixed focal lengths. A very good approach in my opinion.

But the very special thing about the Sigma cameras is the Foveon sensor. In my opinion, they should go back to large 1:1:1 pixels (8um will be fine). But even the 1:1:4 structure is better than Bayer.

SigmaChrome Forum Pro • Posts: 11,318

+1+

Sigma picked up Foveon because it made it stand out from the crowd; it was something special. Why would they throw that all away? Why?

Foveon is something special -- and that's why I mostly shoot with Sigma cameras. There is nothing like them.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Vitée
Capture all the light and colour!
http://www.pbase.com/vitee/galleries

SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro +31 more
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,369

Tom Schum wrote:

I would like to believe this but maybe they have seen the writing on the wall.

If they haven't seen it by now, and I don't think they have, I doubt they will EVER see it Tom . . . so they'll keep making cameras with Foveon sensors in them and keep selling more and more cameras.

If they did release a new camera and it still had a Foveon sensor I'd have to go some distance mentally to get to a point where I would consider buying it.

The fact is that even the new Fuji XT3, with its 26 MP sensor and higher price will not compare with the SD Quattro. The price is twice as much, but the image quality at ISO 100 will not be able to match the Sigma. THAT is what Sigma is all about . . . making cameras and lenses that are capable, but for less money than the competition.

I have no doubt we will see a new Sigma camera. Hopefully it will have a full-frame sensor. I believe that Sigma has been able to make enough headway that they believe in the Quattro sensor technology, and if they do make a full-frame sensor, it will be Quattro at the same density as the other Quattros . . . so SUPER-high resolution (around 50 MP on the top layer). It will beat anything else that is not a state-of-the-art medium format camera (as far as detail captured at ISO 100 and probably 200, and maybe 400 and 800). I think it will be a very good value for people who don't care to shoot color photos at ISO 1600 and above. I think it will be a camera that I will want, because I think it will be faster, focus better, have a better viewfinder, include a new feature or two, and offer better image quality.

And in the future, after Sigma makes such a camera, they will make more digital cameras with Foveon sensors . . . just like they've been doing for more than fifteen years now.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
http://www.bigprintphotos.com

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
lelf
lelf Junior Member • Posts: 40

manchumuq wrote:

Details? 🧐

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 8,318

richard stone wrote:

The good Sigma images are a joy to see.

I agree.

I'm maybe getting too old for this.  I'm no longer willing to do the work to pull a superb image out of my Sigmas.  Just me...

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-T100 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads