23mm 1.4f v 2.0f

Started Sep 12, 2018 | Discussions
Sw77 Regular Member • Posts: 137
23mm 1.4f v 2.0f

Hey,

i was was just wondering if anyone had info on the difference between these two in terms of IQ, sharpness and focus speed?

Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Re: 23mm 1.4f v 2.0f

Hey,

i think from reading other threads on the same subject, that the 1.4 is sharper until f2.8, and from f4 any difference is minimal.

Cheers,

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 37,728

"xf 23/1.4 vs xf 23/2.0 " [enter]

That's a good place to start.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
http://www.bobtullis.com

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-H1 Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 +1 more
technotic Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Bob Tullis wrote:

Or type question into Fuji forum on dpreview. [enter]. Seems logical.

Bob Tullis

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

And just look at the wealth of info that post garnered.    As well as giving a nudge as to how to use search terms.   Some will do basic research, and then will have remaining questions, pointed one, that can be more readily answered.   Some won't.

Nothing prevents you from providing your wisdom of experience with both lenses, either.    If you have none, you can either use the references provided or wait for others to notice the topic and respond.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

And just look at the wealth of info that post garnered. As well as giving a nudge as to how to use search terms. Some will do basic research, and then will have remaining questions, pointed one, that can be more readily answered. Some won't.

Nothing prevents you from providing your wisdom of experience with both lenses, either. If you have none, you can either use the references provided or wait for others to notice the topic and respond.

Thank you.

I have no experience of either lenses which is why I was interested in this post. This is a forum you do know that don't you? Is a place where people ask for opinions on gear. Why give a snotty response? Just ignore it if you don't like it.

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,304
Yes
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,569

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

And just look at the wealth of info that post garnered. As well as giving a nudge as to how to use search terms. Some will do basic research, and then will have remaining questions, pointed one, that can be more readily answered. Some won't.

Nothing prevents you from providing your wisdom of experience with both lenses, either. If you have none, you can either use the references provided or wait for others to notice the topic and respond.

Thank you.

I have no experience of either lenses which is why I was interested in this post. This is a forum you do know that don't you? Is a place where people ask for opinions on gear. Why give a snotty response? Just ignore it if you don't like it.

I'm not sure Bob needs anyone to defend him. However, on these forums the same questions get asked over and over and over and there is a wealth of information already available at the tip of one's fingers without another 23 f1.4 vs. 23 f2 or 34 f1.4 vs. 35 f2 thread.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
Bob Tullis

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you for your most valued contribution.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Thank you.

Thank you for your most valued contribution.

Likewise mate. Your post was a total waste of time.

OP Sw77 Regular Member • Posts: 137

The last person had a point.  New people can/could be put off by comments like I have had on here but thanks to everyone for responding anyway.  I will remember to search for it first even though I had done that but want new responses

El Jeffe Regular Member • Posts: 306

The f/2 focus is very fast and quiet. This is the main reason for my purchase even though it makes the X100s redundant.

Smaller lens, less weight, weather resistant, and lower price tag. What's not to love?

I guess the f/1.4 can give you more blur, but a lens of this focal length is often used for the style of photography that requires greater depth of field.

El Jeffe's gear list:El Jeffe's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-T2 +14 more
DangerouslyCheesey Forum Member • Posts: 63

El Jeffe wrote:

The f/2 focus is very fast and quiet. This is the main reason for my purchase even though it makes the X100s redundant.

Smaller lens, less weight, weather resistant, and lower price tag. What's not to love?

I guess the f/1.4 can give you more blur, but a lens of this focal length is often used for the style of photography that requires greater depth of field.

I agree, I think a 35mm equivalent view is not an ideal big bokeh length anyway, so might as well go with the faster focusing, smaller, lighter and water resistant f2.  There is also a not insignificant price difference which you would probably be better off putting toward a fast lens like the 56mm 1.2 or 90mm f2.

markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,654

Sw77 wrote:

The last person had a point. New people can/could be put off by comments like I have had on here but thanks to everyone for responding anyway. I will remember to search for it first even though I had done that but want new responses

Just go ahead with questions. There are enough people who will share their thoughts and personal experience which can not be found by search. BECAUSE - there is not *that* search result for some type of questions.

Unfortunately, I can‘t share own experiences on the lenses you asked for.

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
markusw
markusw Senior Member • Posts: 1,654

DangerouslyCheesey wrote:

El Jeffe wrote:

I agree, I think a 35mm equivalent view is not an ideal big bokeh length anyway, so might as well go with the faster focusing, smaller, lighter and water resistant f2. There is also a not insignificant price difference which you would probably be better off putting toward a fast lens like the 56mm 1.2 or 90mm f2.

Disagree, somehow... A 23 is a perfect all-around-lens, and you may need some ability for subject isolation. Here, fast aperture helps a lot! Or you want to include some blurred foreground.

Had a 35mm f2.8 (FF) on the A7 and really wished it would be f2.

-- hide signature --
 markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
nonicks Regular Member • Posts: 346

Sw77 wrote:

Hey,

i was was just wondering if anyone had info on the difference between these two in terms of IQ, sharpness and focus speed?

You wont go wrong with either.

Color rendition wise, I Iike the f/1.4 lens more ( same as the 35mm lenses). The color it produces is closer to Zeiss, which is the best looking color to me. Tonal transition is smoother and micro-contrast seems better, and those make the images more POP and have a little more 3D feel. Also Bokeh of the 1.4 is just amazing and better.

However, I chose to I own the f.2.0. A few main reasons I like this lens more are that fast and accurate silent AF, WR, lighter/small, and price.

The f2.0 produces more contrasy and puchy color. A different character comparing to the 1.4 lens.

For street pictures, I have to say the 2.0 is an xcellent choice. However, I feel that pictures from the 2.0 is a little less POP comparing to the 1.4 lens. Bokeh from the 2.0 is very good, but somewhat busier than that from 1.4. For what I use it for (walkaround, casual pictures, street), I have no complain tho. This lens sticks on my camera body more than any other lenses I own except during travel, when I usually rely on my 16-55 80-90% of time.

Anyway, both 23mm versions are great lenses. You will be happy with both. I guess the best way is to try them both so you can determine which one is a better fit to your use and style.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Fezhat
Fezhat Regular Member • Posts: 431

The 1.4 is a breeze to manual focus sure it is bigger and  slower to auto focus  but it suits my needs as I use it in a measured manner. For spontaneous adhock  photo work it is the Ricoh grII or the smartphone

Pennyfan
Pennyfan Regular Member • Posts: 460

f1.4 version colour look better, better bokeh and low light capability, a bit noisy motor and slightly slower AF.

f2 version is cheaper, smaller/lighter, silent and fast AF, WR.

I’ll go for f1.4 versin, because I can work around its flaws.

Pennyfan's gear list:Pennyfan's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
sunhorse Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

technotic wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Thank you.

Look at your own response to the OP. A tad condescending don't you think? Accusing Bob of being "snotty" is not helpful, but forgivable if you don't know his posting history.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
sunhorse Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

Sw77 wrote:

Hey,

I've only tried the f2 lens once, but bought the f1.4. I can say that the 23 f1.4 is a lovely lens. The IQ is very good to excellent. It has the clutch ring which makes manual focusing very easy. I have no major complaints on its rendering or sharpness. It is older, so the AF is a bit noisy and it is not as small and light. The only "fault" I can find on the f1.4, is that it is large and will occlude the OVF on the XPro2, especially with the lens hood on.

-- hide signature --

Ramesh

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads