EOS R developer interview posted

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,080
EOS R developer interview posted

An interview with Canon’s head of ICB product development team, which developed EOS R, has been published here in Japanese. I don’t know what ICB stands for, but my guess is Interchangeable lens Camera Body.

Some interesting points:

• (Replying to the question of “Why didn’t you disclose the flange back distance at the announcement?”) Although the flange back distance is 20mm, the more important number is the back focus distance, i.e. the distance between the last element and the sensor. This will change from lens to lens.
  • Though based on an existing sensor, this is a newly developed sensor, with new DPAF mechanism and microlenses. You should see improved high ISO performance over 5D4.
  • EOS R should give better image quality than 5D4 thanks to DIGIC 8 allowing in-body DLO and better noise reduction resulting in 1/3 stop higher maximum ISO.
  • The system can be operated without the multi-function bar or the control ring, so some future R models may not have them. EF lenses with control rings are unlikely because the ring depends on new electrical contacts introduced by the RF mount.
  • The additional freedom in lens design can be used to make lenses smaller, or improve image quality, meaning that the F2.8 zooms announced as pipelines won’t necessarily end up being smaller.
  • Canon had a policy against IBIS on DSLRs, but this is not the case for MILCs. Lack of IBIS on EOS R was a result of compromises over body size, cost and heat dissipation for this particular model; they do think it has merits, and will consider it for future models depending on the nature of the camera body.
  • EOS R is primarily targeting mid-level DSLR users looking to move upmarkeg. They concede that the R system may be too high priced for existing M users. (There is no discussion about R/M mount compatibility, unfortunately.)
  • This is a middle-segment camera, a 5D class body, and they do expect to release higher- and lower- end bodies. In particular they expect to see demand for high pixel count bodies to counter the competition.
  • RF mount cinema EOS is a possibility. Not sure if anyone except high-end pros need 8K.
 quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +11 more
VladimirCZ Regular Member • Posts: 228
Re: EOS R developer interview posted

Thanks for sharing! Interesting bits of information and I could agree with most of them except this one: "

• Canon had a policy against IBIS on DSLRs, but this is not the case for MILCs. Lack of IBIS on EOS R was a result of compromises over body size, cost and heat dissipation for this particular model; they do think it has merits, and will consider it for future models depending on the nature of the camera body."

Canon R is the biggest among FF MILC (if we exclude Leica SL) and it's neither a speed demon nor a camera that can shoot full sensor 4k 4:2:2 video internally, so with what do they have overheating problems???

wmlele Forum Member • Posts: 80

Just for a starter, if I understand the technology correctly, DPAF moves twice the data of a comparable resolution sensor.

wmlele's gear list:wmlele's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,019

On page 2 there's the beginnings of a road map:

This seems to show a second body this year and two more next year - can someone translate?

OP quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,080

Steve Balcombe wrote:

This seems to show a second body this year and two more next year - can someone translate?

The first blue line is the mount adapter with the C-PL filter, and the second line is the mount adapter with the VND filter. Below that it says “F2.8L zooms and others to come.”

If it were more interesting, I’d have translated it.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +11 more
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,019

quiquae wrote:

Steve Balcombe wrote:

The first blue line is the mount adapter with the C-PL filter, and the second line is the mount adapter with the VND filter. Below that it says “F2.8L zooms and others to come.”

If it were more interesting, I’d have translated it.

I guess you would

Not much of a road map then ...

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,137
Interesting, perhaps will quell some of the whining

I like this point in particular.

quiquae wrote:

An interview with Canon’s head of ICB product development team, which developed EOS R, has been published here in Japanese. I don’t know what ICB stands for, but my guess is Interchangeable lens Camera Body.

Some interesting points:

• This is a middle-segment camera, a 5D class body, and they do expect to release higher- and lower- end bodies. In particular they expect to see demand for high pixel count bodies to counter the competition.
-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
robblackett Senior Member • Posts: 1,180
Re: Interesting, perhaps will quell some of the whining

Rick Knepper wrote:

I like this point in particular.

quiquae wrote:

Some interesting points:

" Interesting, perhaps will quell some of the whining"

No chance!

OP quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 1,080

quiquae wrote:

Responding to my own comment: Canon’s Japanese direct sales web site started accepting pre-orders today, and it’s hard not to notice that the R body only + adapter is priced at 250K yen, which is about the same as 6D2 (225K yen) and much lower than 5D4 (432K yen). It sure doesn’t look like Canon is trying to marketing this as a 5D class body.

(It is true that the street price for a 5D4 body has dropped to about 250K yen, putting it right around the R range. But you would need to compare that figure with what the R ends up being priced on the market a few months after release, not the indicative pricing from Canon.)

wmlele wrote:

Just for a starter, if I understand the technology correctly, DPAF moves twice the data of a comparable resolution sensor.

If DPAF is so resource taxing it probably explains why Canon cannot capture full sensor video. I'm wondering if DPAF  technology is a bit ahead of time as it seems no company has processors that can drive it without sacrificing other things.

73Instamatic
73Instamatic Regular Member • Posts: 123

VladimirCZ wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Interesting bits of information and I could agree with most of them except this one: "

• Canon had a policy against IBIS on DSLRs, but this is not the case for MILCs. Lack of IBIS on EOS R was a result of compromises over body size, cost and heat dissipation for this particular model; they do think it has merits, and will consider it for future models depending on the nature of the camera body."

Canon R is the biggest among FF MILC (if we exclude Leica SL) and it's neither a speed demon nor a camera that can shoot full sensor 4k 4:2:2 video internally, so with what do they have overheating problems???

He's referring to heat from the sensor. In previous interviews Canon has said that one of the design considerations with IBIS is that since the sensor assembly/package has to be mounted on something that can move slightly, it limits what kind of heat sink you can attach to it.

73Instamatic wrote:

VladimirCZ wrote:

He's referring to heat from the sensor. In previous interviews Canon has said that one of the design considerations with IBIS is that since the sensor assembly/package has to be mounted on something that can move slightly, it limits what kind of heat sink you can attach to it.

Sure, I got it. Heat is one of the parameter that defines how heavy and for how long you can stress a processor. It seems that DPAF is stressful enough on it own and Canon made sure that it won't fry the CPU by limiting other stuff like 4k, IBIS and Continuous shooting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads