K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Started Sep 6, 2018 | Discussions
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,789
Re: K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Hi Barry:

Pentax should hire you as a consultant as you are doing a lot of the design for them.  Pentax would likely need to be like Canon and offer several adapters for different end users.  The mirrorless wave is here and hopefully Pentax is planning something along these lines if they want to stay relevant for the future.

Dale

Barry Pearson wrote:

Here are some thoughts about hypothetical K-mount adapters for use with hypothetical Pentax mirrorless new-mount cameras.

How comprehensive could a K-mount adapter be?

Could it control the aperture lever? Could it drive screw-focus lenses?

The new mount would probably have a flange registration distance of perhaps 20mm or less. So the adapter would be at least 25mm front to back.

Is that enough space to fit those mechanical controls?

I've just examined my K-1ii. I think the K-1ii probably fits those controls into the first 25mm from the mount-face towards to the sensor.

I'm not certain where the motor for the focus-screw is, but even if the K-1ii doesn't fit it into that space, I can't identify a reason why an adapter couldn't.

(Ditto my K-3ii).

Would Pentax supply a K-mount adapter?

Unless they had a death-wish, they would supply a K-mount adapter if they supplied mirrorless new-mount cameras!

(Or possibly more than one adapter, but I think that would be too ambitious for Pentax).

What could adapters do?

(Apart from the obvious!)

"Skip py" posted some fascinating ideas at:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61555883

I was particularly interested in his idea of filters behind the lens.

I have 4 lenses where I could benefit from this:
Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D: no filter thread
Samyang 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye: no filter thread
Pentax D FA 15-30mm f/2.8: expensive and inconvenient 145mm filters
Pentax D FA 150-450 f/4.5-f/5.6: big 86mm filters

Now I read that Canon have a "Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter" for their new "R" mount, plus circular polarising filter and variable ND filter to start with!

(I'm not sure what their "Control Ring Mount Adapter" does).

I wonder if an adapter could incorporate a variable extension, equivalent to an extension tube? Perhaps this would introduce a new point of failure with a poor cost-benefit ratio.

What about 3rd party adapters?

Hm! Is Pentax important enough for 3rd-parties to bother?

Only if the 3rd party could bring something novel to market, for example behind-the-lens filters if Pentax don't do this.

What do adapters bring to the party?

A Pentax new-mount camera with an adapter attached is equivalent to a new K-mount camera. Pentaxians are encouraged by new K-mount cameras!

Pentax wouldn't even need to have a new-mount lens on day 1. They would already have 41 lenses (16 of them FF) ready for the new camera, plus a huge number of legacy and 3rd-party lenses.

Commentators would criticise Pentax for this, but they have lots of criticisms of Pentax anyway. Criticism is unavoidable, but at least such a camera would be newsworthy, simply because it would be unexpected.

And in practical terms, it is a myth that there have to be new lenses on day 1. The camera could be attractive enough in its own right, especially if it were bundled with an adapter.

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Barry Pearson
OP Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,723
Re: Something to think about...

Alex Sarbu wrote:

The D FA* 50mm required an unprecedentedly (at least, for Pentax) tight construction.

It was found - late in the process - that the barrel couldn't properly support the heavy front group, which led to a slight but significant misalignment - impacting the optical performance.

Long story short, they solved that issue with special support components. Also, the lens mount has "the highest number of screws ever used" - for structural rigidity.

What would happen when you add an adapter? Can it be rigid enough? I believe Lloyd Chambers warned about adapters introducing such misalignments.

Where might the problems lie?

Between the lens and the adapter, or
Between the adapter and the camera when the adapter has this lens attached?

For interest, I've tested the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 attached to the Pentax DA 1.4x Rear Converter, which I think is a comparable case:

Using the Pentax 1.4x Rear Converter on K-1-series

While the image quality was poor, I didn't notice a rigidity problem. And if all the components are under the control of Pentax, we can hope they do a good job!

I would like to have a tripod mount for this lens. The tripod bush on the K-1-series is about 38mm behind the lens mount, which makes the whole combination "unconvincing" (to put it mildly) on a tripod.

The (old) Canon M-mount adapter, and the (new) Nikon FTZ adapter, have extensions downward to the base-level of the cameras. Those extensions have 1/4" tripod bushes.

If a (hypothetical) Pentax new-mount to K-mount adapter did likewise, that would move the tripod bush more than 40mm towards the lens, perhaps 50mm or more. That would provide a better balance on a tripod. The whole of the camera would be behind the tripod bush.

(The new Canon RF adapters don't have tripod bushes).

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh WG-6 Panasonic LX100 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II +27 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,140

Barry Pearson wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

The D FA* 50mm required an unprecedentedly (at least, for Pentax) tight construction.

It was found - late in the process - that the barrel couldn't properly support the heavy front group, which led to a slight but significant misalignment - impacting the optical performance.

Long story short, they solved that issue with special support components. Also, the lens mount has "the highest number of screws ever used" - for structural rigidity.

What would happen when you add an adapter? Can it be rigid enough? I believe Lloyd Chambers warned about adapters introducing such misalignments.

Between the lens and the adapter,

yes

or

yes

The ultra wides are impacted more. See https://diglloyd.com/blog/2009/20090802_1-UltraWideAlignment.html

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Barry Pearson

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

Pentax should hire you as a consultant as you are doing a lot of the design for them. Pentax would likely need to be like Canon and offer several adapters for different end users. The mirrorless wave is here and hopefully Pentax is planning something along these lines if they want to stay relevant for the future.

We are in negotiation. They think my demand for GBP 500,000 is too high!

Chuckle!

(When I did consulting about 20 years ago, I could be hired from the company I was employed by for GBP 800 per day plus expenses, or less in bulk. Expenses would include travel to Japan, of course!)

Annex 1 to Barry's pre-retirement CV.

Barry Pearson

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

yes

Ouch!

That case is the same as "between the lens and the camera body" when there isn't an adapter.

I expect to use my D FA* 50mm on my K-1ii on a tripod much of the time.
(Not because of inadequate lighting, but as an aid to composition).

I think I need to investigate some sort of support. Perhaps an Arca Swiss plate that can be fastened at the back to the K-1ii tripod bush, and support the front end of the lens, (behind the lens-hood). Two points of support for the combination.

(The lens hood falls below the base level of the K-1-series, so probably isn't a good supporting point).

or

yes

The ultra wides are impacted more. See https://diglloyd.com/blog/2009/20090802_1-UltraWideAlignment.html

So far I don't appear to encountered this problem with my Laowa (Venus) 12mm f/2.8 on my K-1ii. But I tend to use it stopped down a bit. (I guess that counts as "ultra wide"?)

Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,789

Hi Barry:

For the benefit of Pentax I hope you come out of retirement temporarily to get them going in a good direction!

Dale

Barry Pearson wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

Pentax should hire you as a consultant as you are doing a lot of the design for them. Pentax would likely need to be like Canon and offer several adapters for different end users. The mirrorless wave is here and hopefully Pentax is planning something along these lines if they want to stay relevant for the future.

We are in negotiation. They think my demand for GBP 500,000 is too high!

Chuckle!

(When I did consulting about 20 years ago, I could be hired from the company I was employed by for GBP 800 per day plus expenses, or less in bulk. Expenses would include travel to Japan, of course!)

Annex 1 to Barry's pre-retirement CV.

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Barry Pearson

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

For the benefit of Pentax I hope you come out of retirement temporarily to get them going in a good direction!

They don't need me! They "just" need organised common sense.

I used to work a lot facilitating/leading teams and workgroups. People (including me!) tend to have opinions that drive our wishful-thinking. That is fine until there is a conflict with (apparent) facts. At that point we either need to determine whether those really are "facts". Otherwise we end up wasting time, pursuing dead-ends and/or having unnecessary arguments.

In 2005 I summarised my way of trying to make constructive progress.
See the infogram below. I still use this method. Even here!

It is also worth noting well-known reminders to gather information:

"Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted"

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts".

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong".

Anders_Nilsson Contributing Member • Posts: 559

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

yes

or

yes

Alex

But wouldn't the UWA be the first lenses You redo for MILC? Pentax current 10-17 is a fisheye and besides, from what I've heard, UWA's are the ones that benefit the most from short flange distances.

So, I guess Pentax would concentrate on an adapter for the existing teles, like the DA200 2.8 and DA300 4, which are anyway of decent performance, and then create a new UWA and a 24-70 standard zoom (if thenew camera is FF).

I read somewhere (Optical Limits?) that the DA200 and DA300 are really FF designs released for APS-C. Is this true or would it be a massive redesign necessary?

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +16 more

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

yes

or

yes

Alex

But wouldn't the UWA be the first lenses You redo for MILC? Pentax current 10-17 is a fisheye and besides, from what I've heard, UWA's are the ones that benefit the most from short flange distances.

Maybe it would be the first, maybe not - depending on their strategy. But my position here is that a small number (2, maybe 3) of lenses is required from the beginning.

So, I guess Pentax would concentrate on an adapter for the existing teles, like the DA200 2.8 and DA300 4, which are anyway of decent performance, and then create a new UWA and a 24-70 standard zoom (if thenew camera is FF).

I read somewhere (Optical Limits?) that the DA200 and DA300 are really FF designs released for APS-C. Is this true or would it be a massive redesign necessary?

Yes, those two lenses cover the FF format - officially.

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,181

Barry Pearson wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

I used to work a lot facilitating/leading teams and workgroups. People (including me!) tend to have opinions that drive our wishful-thinking. That is fine until there is a conflict with (apparent) facts. At that point we either need to determine whether those really are "facts". Otherwise we end up wasting time, pursuing dead-ends and/or having unnecessary arguments.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong".

+1

I personally like the brain storming sessions.

Where you toss out ideas no matter how crazy.

And branch off into misc. ideas.

I assume Pentax is already doing the required work of deciding where they think the sales are, what solutions those customers might want and plotting a path to get from here to there.

Plus, their analysis will take into consideration a lot more factors than we put in.

I guess things like what patents are required to build a product. What supplier has what pre-existing components already designed and ready to go.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
K0d Regular Member • Posts: 145

I had a different methodology which started with defining the goal then working backwards. Missing links in technology tend to be at the end of the process with the new technology and a lot of time can be wasted branching forward through options only to fail in the last links or going off in other multiple directions not related to the goal.

Leica only had a few lenses for the original Leicaflex but had made adaptors available for the visoflex lenses. I have one that has mechanical aperture cams for the metering system. There are few rewards for methodology but many for results.

Cheers Pierre

Barry Pearson

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

.... I read somewhere (Optical Limits?) that the DA200 and DA300 are really FF designs released for APS-C. Is this true or would it be a massive redesign necessary?

They are certainly FF lenses!

I think Pentax didn't want to emphasise "FF" at the time of release.
Here are interesting roadmaps:

September 2006

January 2007

March 2008

September  2008

June 2018 - FF lens line-up.

Barry Pearson

TacticDesigns wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

+1

Indeed! As I said in that method:

"What this also means is that it isn't wrong to start with an opinion instead of facts, as long as the whole model evolves. It is necessary to be willing to absorb extra or changed facts and analysis, and be prepared to revise one's opinions"

I assume Pentax is already doing the required work of deciding where they think the sales are, what solutions those customers might want and plotting a path to get from here to there.

I hope so.

Barry Pearson

K0d wrote:

I had a different methodology which started with defining the goal then working backwards. Missing links in technology tend to be at the end of the process with the new technology and a lot of time can be wasted branching forward through options only to fail in the last links or going off in other multiple directions not related to the goal.

Yes.

I had such a methodology too. "ResultStation", part of Macroscope from DMR, which enables a cause and effect tree to be built in reverse.

TacticDesigns

K0d wrote:

Leica only had a few lenses for the original Leicaflex but had made adaptors available for the visoflex lenses. I have one that has mechanical aperture cams for the metering system. There are few rewards for methodology but many for results.

Cheers Pierre

But how do you know what the goal is unless you do some envisioning?

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns

Barry Pearson wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Hi Barry:

+1

Indeed! As I said in that method:

"What this also means is that it isn't wrong to start with an opinion instead of facts, as long as the whole model evolves. It is necessary to be willing to absorb extra or changed facts and analysis, and be prepared to revise one's opinions"

+1

I guess what I assume is that our perspective would be different than of someone inside Ricoh.

There would be facts that become apparent working inside a company that would probably not be intuitively guessed at outside.

Like, what is the corporate culture? What set of patents do they have access to? What suppliers are profitable to work with and what existing components can they supply?

Since I don't have access to that set of facts, I go by the facts I know.

I am a consumer and I have a set of wants / needs. This is how I look at equipment and decide what to buy.

I am basically a target market of one. LOL.

If someone paid me, then it would be my job to map out the different target markets and identify how to get to those target markets, and / or what type of products / solutions these various target markets might be game for.

I hope so.

+1

But that is their job.

For me, my job as a consumer is to decide whether I am going to buy a particular widget or not.

-- hide signature --
TacticDesigns
2018 Pentax Q Wish List (From 6 months ago)

Oh, yeah . . .

I asked on the Pentax Compact Camera Talk forum 6 months ago what was on everyone's Pentax Q Wish List.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60925831

Some very interesting posts there.

Maybe a combination of the two lists could be useful.

EDIT: Actually . . . scanning through the posts, I noticed I mentioned "If Pentax introduced a APS-C mirrorless camera . . . maybe they could make an adapter for Q lenses."

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60925916

LOL.

-- hide signature --
phoenix15
phoenix15 Regular Member • Posts: 287

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

So you are saying:

If anyone want mirrorless, get other brands.
Pentax is concentrating on  K mount fullframe. APS-C high specs may not be the priority.

What else ?
The development is slow. Yes, it is true. So you can only dream, talk and talk of what you wishes in the forum. But you have to accept the Ricoh`s condition. Kenspo the nordic brand ambassador is leaving after 5 years. Yes 5 years ago he received K-3, and since then no major upgrade in AF to make it close to even Canon 7D Mark II.

If you want unique, different, than Pentax is your way of life.

phoenix15's gear list:phoenix15's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +6 more

phoenix15 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

So you are saying:

And you have many choices.

Pentax is concentrating on K mount fullframe.

Yes, at least on lenses

APS-C high specs may not be the priority.

Now, I don't see where he said that...

What else ?
The development is slow.

My pet peeve with Ricoh Imaging.

Yes, it is true. So you can only dream, talk and talk of what you wishes in the forum. But you have to accept the Ricoh`s condition. Kenspo the nordic brand ambassador is leaving after 5 years. Yes 5 years ago he received K-3, and since then no major upgrade in AF to make it close to even Canon 7D Mark II.

For the record, Kenspo didn't complain about the AF - he actually said: "The AF is better in challenging condition then people think..So that wasn't an issue.".

On the technical side, his complaints - regarding the K-1 - were the slow fps and buffer clearing rate. The slow buffer clearing rate was the first limitation I noticed on the K-1.

In his "goodbye" message he says: "It is NOT because Pentax is doomed or something like that! It is a total package over whats best for me and my development. This is what I do for a living. There is some minor things that have made me frustrated at times, but let there be no doubt; Pentax make amazing stuff. And they will continue to do so"

Right. Pentax is a good choice for many.

Alex

TacticDesigns

Alex Sarbu wrote:

phoenix15 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

So you are saying:

And you have many choices.

Or you could get a Pentax Q like I did!

I'm already using a Pentax mirrorless!

Pentax is concentrating on K mount fullframe.

Yes, at least on lenses

APS-C high specs may not be the priority.

Now, I don't see where he said that...

What else ?
The development is slow.

My pet peeve with Ricoh Imaging.

Yes, it is true. So you can only dream, talk and talk of what you wishes in the forum. But you have to accept the Ricoh`s condition. Kenspo the nordic brand ambassador is leaving after 5 years. Yes 5 years ago he received K-3, and since then no major upgrade in AF to make it close to even Canon 7D Mark II.

For the record, Kenspo didn't complain about the AF - he actually said: "The AF is better in challenging condition then people think..So that wasn't an issue.".

On the technical side, his complaints - regarding the K-1 - were the slow fps and buffer clearing rate. The slow buffer clearing rate was the first limitation I noticed on the K-1.

In his "goodbye" message he says: "It is NOT because Pentax is doomed or something like that! It is a total package over whats best for me and my development. This is what I do for a living. There is some minor things that have made me frustrated at times, but let there be no doubt; Pentax make amazing stuff. And they will continue to do so"

Right. Pentax is a good choice for many.

Alex

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads