K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,248
Re: K-mount adapters for Pentax new-mount cameras

Barry Pearson wrote:

My main desire in this whole topic is that new Pentax cameras will support my large investment in high quality K-mount lenses. Both the ones I have now, and those I will buy in future.

Check! Same here.

I assume Pentax is considering this.

And my secondary desire is that Pentax continues to develop and release K-mount lenses, wherever the K-mount is a sensible choice. Whatever (hypothetical) new-mount cameras are released, I hope that the lenses on the current roadmap are released with K-mount.

Otherwise, lots of Pentax users will be alienated. I too have an investment in K-mount SLRs, of course!

(Although I can see that there is an argument that the "Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single-Focus" star-lens might have better image quality on a short-registration camera).

We are going around in circles. But sometimes this is needed to really get the best understanding of the problem. So - what you are proposin g is

1. Lenses that can be K-mount without problem shall continue to be K-mount. Only the lenses, where it is very beneficial should be made in the new short registration mount.

2. A very good converter for K-mount lenses on the short registration mount needs to be made. One that works comfortable with (almost) all K-mount lenses. Actually, as it is only one and not one per camera, you could even imagine getting the aperture coupling back. Not necessary, but would be a fine gesture, and strong motivator for people to get the Pentax MILC.

3. Continue to make both K-mount and MILC cameras.

Actually - I would not mind. If well done, there is no reason for both K-mount and MILC mount tele lenses.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:
https://github.com/kalpanika/x3f

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,095

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

My main desire in this whole topic is that new Pentax cameras will support my large investment in high quality K-mount lenses. Both the ones I have now, and those I will buy in future.

Check! Same here.

And my secondary desire is that Pentax continues to develop and release K-mount lenses, wherever the K-mount is a sensible choice. Whatever (hypothetical) new-mount cameras are released, I hope that the lenses on the current roadmap are released with K-mount.

Otherwise, lots of Pentax users will be alienated. I too have an investment in K-mount SLRs, of course!

(Although I can see that there is an argument that the "Large Aperture Wide-Angle Single-Focus" star-lens might have better image quality on a short-registration camera).

We are going around in circles. But sometimes this is needed to really get the best understanding of the problem. So - what you are proposin g is

1. Lenses that can be K-mount without problem shall continue to be K-mount. Only the lenses, where it is very beneficial should be made in the new short registration mount.

2. A very good converter for K-mount lenses on the short registration mount needs to be made. One that works comfortable with (almost) all K-mount lenses. Actually, as it is only one and not one per camera, you could even imagine getting the aperture coupling back. Not necessary, but would be a fine gesture, and strong motivator for people to get the Pentax MILC.

This, I see as making sense.

1. Either Mirrorless is the future or it is not. If you make both, you are prepared no matter what the future holds.

But more so than that. There are people that want to buy a dSLR an others that want a MILC.

Just because a dSLR / existing owner does not want a MILC does not mean it does not make sense to make a MILC. If a MILC camera can bring in a new customer, then that is a bigger customer base. A different target market.

It could also give reason for an existing dSLR owner to buy two Pentax bodies of the same generation, since the two cameras could be complimentary.

Heck, if my crazy idea for an adapter to bring back some funtionality to m42 auto lenses and Pentax-M lenses works . . .

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61613534

Run your Pentax-A and newer lenses on a dSLR and your Pentax-M and m42 auto lenses on the Pentax MILC with the crazy adapter! LOL.

Make both.

If sales in one category drops off, reduce effort in that category.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

Actually - I would not mind. If well done, there is no reason for both K-mount and MILC mount tele lenses.

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Nikon D7000 +7 more
Barry Pearson
OP Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,723

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Check! Same here.

Yes!

A good summary of what I believe.

I don't know of any good reason for new-mount tele lenses.

I've seen no evidence that Canon and Nikon intend to develop such lenses.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Ricoh WG-6 Panasonic LX100 Ricoh GR III Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II +27 more
Barry Pearson

TacticDesigns wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Barry Pearson wrote:

Check! Same here.

This, I see as making sense.

1. Either Mirrorless is the future or it is not. If you make both, you are prepared no matter what the future holds.

Yes.

Mirrorless almost certainly is the future.

But at different times for different manufacturers and for different people.

But more so than that. There are people that want to buy a dSLR an others that want a MILC.

Just because a dSLR / existing owner does not want a MILC does not mean it does not make sense to make a MILC.

True!

If a MILC camera can bring in a new customer, then that is a bigger customer base. A different target market.

Yes.

A risk is that concentrating on one narrow option, (SLRs, for example), will simply appeal to an ever-decreasing customer base. When that is gone, the brand has gone.

It could also give reason for an existing dSLR owner to buy two Pentax bodies of the same generation, since the two cameras could be complimentary.

Yes!

That is precisely what I want.

Heck, if my crazy idea for an adapter to bring back some funtionality to m42 auto lenses and Pentax-M lenses works . . .

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61613534

Run your Pentax-A and newer lenses on a dSLR and your Pentax-M and m42 auto lenses on the Pentax MILC with the crazy adapter! LOL.

Interesting!

Make both.

If sales in one category drops off, reduce effort in that category.

Makes sense. And I have an idea of which category will drop off over the next (say) 5 years.

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

The idea is to keep K-mount as the main mount. Most lenses will still be K-mount.

But - a short registration distance MILC camera has its charm. So - making such a thing and an adapter for K-mount is the idea. Not in order to change to MILC per se, as most lenses still will be K-mount, but in order to make it possible to make modern lenses for that MILC.

So, Asahi Man, what is your option?

1. No MILC at all?
2. Some few MILC with K-mount?
3. A serious engagement in MILC K-mount cameras?
4. A switch to MILC K-mount cameras?

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 5,730

Roland Karlsson wrote:

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

The idea is to keep K-mount as the main mount. Most lenses will still be K-mount.

But - a short registration distance MILC camera has its charm. So - making such a thing and an adapter for K-mount is the idea. Not in order to change to MILC per se, as most lenses still will be K-mount, but in order to make it possible to make modern lenses for that MILC.

1. No MILC at all?

I think what he's trying to tell you, in his usual cryptic way, is that Pentax isn't planning anything other than K-mount cameras at the moment. They said as much in one of their most recent interviews.

Given that they appear to be resource constrained, this is probably the best option for them now. Even if people would wish otherwise.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more

Mark Ransom wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

1. No MILC at all?

I think what he's trying to tell you, in his usual cryptic way, is that Pentax isn't planning anything other than K-mount cameras at the moment. They said as much in one of their most recent interviews.

I guess so also.

Given that they appear to be resource constrained, this is probably the best option for them now. Even if people would wish otherwise.

Probably. But - I have been working in many companies as a consultant. The amount of work possible to do is not only constraint by resources. It is possible to do nearly nothing even with plenty of resources. Not saying this is the case for Pentax, just as an example. Another example is outsourcing. There is a wish for a series of compact modern designed, high optical quality primes for a reasonable amount of money. Maybe some optical company? Seems to be some in Asia.

-- hide signature --

/Roland
Kalpanika X3F tools:

asahi man Contributing Member • Posts: 982

Currently nearly all the development power is going into K fullframe SLR.

Body and lens development,very interesting and in 2 classes.

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,069

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Thanks.

But can we expect some sort of announcement soon? Unfortunately, we can't see all their ongoing hard work - only what they release; and they don't release much these days.

(Yes, I have the D FA* 50mm).

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Well I find that interesting.

Perhaps we might just see in the future FF SLRS   which are smaller and lighter than the present K1 with a choice of two different sensors.

I like my mirror and the sound it makes.

All the best in your development projects, just don't take too long.

Cheese

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +16 more
Barry Pearson

Mark Ransom wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

asahi man wrote:

New Pentax Mount???

What is it for? ?

That's funny

K is the key

Best regards

1. No MILC at all?

I think what he's trying to tell you, in his usual cryptic way, is that Pentax isn't planning anything other than K-mount cameras at the moment.

A (hypothetical) new-mount mirrorless camera with a K-mount adapter fitted would be equivalent to a K-mount camera. It should be thought of in that way.

And it would be significantly lighter than (say) the K-1-series.

They said as much in one of their most recent interviews.

That statement was made before the recent Canon and Nikon releases.

I believe Ricoh will re-visit some of their analysis.
They may stay with their earlier decisions. or change them. Who knows?

If the trend towards high-end mirrorless cameras accelerates, (which it now almost certainly will), their revenues may reduce even further and faster.

They may find themselves with a choice between releasing a new-mount mirrorless camera plus adapter, or having their market greatly diminish year by year until they run out of enough resources to do any significant K-mount development.

The climate and market has changed since they made the decisions they based those statements on.

Barry Pearson

asahi man wrote:

I'm not surprised that current development is continuing that way. And ....

I use Pentax FF equipment, so I am likely to buy new FF cameras and lenses.

But, SLR!!

Pentax don't really make "SLR lenses".

They make K-mount lenses, any of which could be used on a (hypothetical) new-mount mirrorless camera with a K-mount adapter fitted.

Cameras are SLRs, not lenses.

DS21 Senior Member • Posts: 2,416

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Translation: anybody hoping for a K-3  II successor, don't, you got your KP, that should be enough for you. No more "flagship" APS-C body, we are going all FF.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more
johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,099

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Translation: anybody hoping for a K-3 II successor, don't, you got your KP, that should be enough for you. No more "flagship" APS-C body, we are going all FF.

'Nearly all'.........................isn't all...................So a KP2 is a possibility perhaps.

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +16 more

johnami wrote:

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Translation: anybody hoping for a K-3 II successor, don't, you got your KP, that should be enough for you. No more "flagship" APS-C body, we are going all FF.

'Nearly all'.........................isn't all...................So a KP2 is a possibility perhaps.

Another take: when Ricoh said "KP is not a K-3 II replacement", they left out a second part of the sentence "there is not, nor it will be, the K-3 line replacement, we are moving in a different direction".

So, the KP II perhaps, but no more PLM lenses, or limiteds, or DA 16-50 or 50-135 line updates,  they are all shelved and not a priority.

Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus Stylus 1 +1 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,095
Re: Alternative far out there idea . . . speed booster!

TacticDesigns wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Skip py wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

. . . with mirrorless, would it be possible to just let the lens stop down as you turn the aperture dial on the lens.

(For lenses that don't have an aperture dial, a dial on the adapter would let you open up and close down the aperture.)

The camera then takes a light reading on the stopped down lens for exposure calculation. And then just brightens up the EVF or rear screen to make composing possible? Basically a WYSIWYG way of displaying the scene.

To help with manual focusing . . . there could be a lever on the right side of this adapter that you press with your middle finger on your right hand. Sort of like the opposite of a DOF preview button. So when you press this focus aid switch, it opens up the lens so that you can focus with the lens at the shallowest depth of field.

This switch could be locked into position so that you can just concentrate on focusing. And then be release for the actual picture.

But this switch could also be pushed and held to focus, and then just released to take the picture. Locking is an option, not a requirement.

I like the idea. I'll have to think more about it : seems interesting ...

+1

Yeah. It's a bit of a weird idea.

I guess I see two downsides.

#1 Without an aperture actuator, the camera loses the ability to control the aperture on the lens, which means . . . no shutter priority mode, full program exposure mode, or for that matter, no fancy scene modes either. So the camera, with this adapter, would only be able to do metered manual and aperture priority.

I would be ok with that. It would be like going back to a Pentax K1000 or Pentax ME Super. I used both. My sister had a Pentax K1000 and I had a Pentax ME Super.

#2 With Pentax-M and m42 lenses . . . the aperture value is not automatically recorded to the EXIF data.

But it's not like we had this with Pentax-M and m42 lenses with any Pentax dSLR anyway, so its not like we are losing anything. A work around could be that you could use the front dial on the camera to dial in an aperture value that then gets recorded down to EXIF. So if you have the lens set to f/2 . . . you could just dial f/2 into the camera with the front dial and that would get recorded in the EXIF info.

I guess the way I look at it is . . . these are old lenses.

If I could get a nice metered manual and aperture priority mode on a modern full frame mirrorless camera, I'd be laughing!

If I want the full program mode, shutter priority or scene modes, I could either get the more expensive adapter (with built-in aperture actuator) or get native mirrorless lenses.

But . . . with the focus assist switch (reverse DOF preview button), it could add aperture priority to Pentax-M and m42 lenses, without the need to press the AE-L button to do a stopped down meter reading.

Hey . . . maybe even bring in one for m42 auto lenses? So when you press the focus aid switch it would activate the auto aperture pin of the auto m42 lenses.

... even more if I can use my old K/M/m42 lenses !

+1

LOL.

I sold off my Pentax 50mm f/1.4 m42 mount lens. I'm kicking myself for doing so. LOL.

A built-in switch to stop down / open up the lens would make it easier to use a m42 lens. And if there is an adapter, there would probably be space to put in a switch to push / release that m42 pin on the lens mount.

For me . . . a big bonus potential of mirrorless is to bring back the match needle metering in the viewfinder.

The last film camera I used was my sister's Pentax K1000. And I still remember how fun and simple it was to use that match needle metering system.

I can understand why this system isn't used in dSLR cameras. LOL.

But for mirrorless cameras with an electronic viewfinder . . . it would just be a program running to display the current meter reading as a needle in the viewfinder.

That . . . would be cool!

Regards, Fred

Ok.

Here's another far out there idea . . . LOL.

The above adapter for m42, Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses . . . but with . . .

a built-in pellicle mirror, OVF and . . . split image focus screen!!!

So . . . still no electronics.

Only moving part is the focus aid switch (reverse DOF preview button), but turning a mirrorless camera into a Pentax K1000 or Pentax ME Super!

I totally have no idea if there is space enough in an adapter for something like that.

But that would be pretty cool!

LOL.

Ok.

Another far out there idea.

Pentax releases an APS-C mirrorless camera with a set of smaller native lenses.

But the adapter has a built-in speed booster so that your old manual focus lenses can be used roughly at their original field of view.

So for me . . . a manual adapter that lets you open up the lens (with reverse DOF preview switch), (No pellicle mirror, no OVF), but . . . a built-in speed boosters.

So . . . when you want to use old manual focus lenses (Pentax m42 / Pentax-M or Pentax-A) you get to be able to use them at near their original field of view.

But when you want AF, just toss on a native mirrorless lens.

The benefit for us parents is that the lens for the APS-C could be smaller than the equivalent full frame lens. But . . . for us that have old manual focus lenses, we can use them at close to original field of view.

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Nikon D7000 +7 more
Anders_Nilsson Contributing Member • Posts: 557

DS21 wrote:

johnami wrote:

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

Another take: when Ricoh said "KP is not a K-3 II replacement", they left out a second part of the sentence "there is not, nor it will be, the K-3 line replacement, we are moving in a different direction".

So, the KP II perhaps, but no more PLM lenses, or limiteds, or DA 16-50 or 50-135 line updates, they are all shelved and not a priority.

I guess I was lucky to buy in June a near mint looking K-3 with only 10500 actuations (unless a service center has reset the shuttercount EXIF value). For sure I will never buy Pentax FF. My a99i is all FF I need, as are my Minolta lenses. I was actually going to buy a Nikon D300s instead of the K-3 but after holding the beast with a lens mounted I quickly picked up a K-3 instead and bought it. So far I don't regret that decision.

My beef with MILC FF is the price level. 2-3 grand for a body and then lenses on top of that which are ludicrously overpriced. I will never ever pay Sony FE prices no matter what the performance.

Sony has avoided upgrading their APS-C line in both A and F mount, lets see how long that works. Ripping the innards from Sony a6500 would have gone a long way to at least avoid Pentax losing face with a K-3iii. I consider this MILC FF thing a hyped fad which will eventually level out. Not that it will go away but people are eventually going to calm down and start looking at APS-C again.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +16 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,069

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

That is not a translation. That is you expressing your own thoughts.

OTOH Ricoh Imaging said they're working on an APS-C flaghip... how, whom should I believe?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

Anders_Nilsson wrote:

DS21 wrote:

johnami wrote:

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

So, the KP II perhaps, but no more PLM lenses, or limiteds, or DA 16-50 or 50-135 line updates, they are all shelved and not a priority.

I guess I was lucky to buy in June a near mint looking K-3 with only 10500 actuations (unless a service center has reset the shuttercount EXIF value). For sure I will never buy Pentax FF. My a99i is all FF I need, as are my Minolta lenses. I was actually going to buy a Nikon D300s instead of the K-3 but after holding the beast with a lens mounted I quickly picked up a K-3 instead and bought it. So far I don't regret that decision.

My beef with MILC FF is the price level. 2-3 grand for a body and then lenses on top of that which are ludicrously overpriced. I will never ever pay Sony FE prices no matter what the performance.

Unfortunately, if you are not willing to pay at least 2 grand for a body, you are also not a most desirable Ricoh customer. The days of high value K-5/K-3 lines are over.

Sony has avoided upgrading their APS-C line in both A and F mount, lets see how long that works. Ripping the innards from Sony a6500 would have gone a long way to at least avoid Pentax losing face with a K-3iii. I consider this MILC FF thing a hyped fad which will eventually level out. Not that it will go away but people are eventually going to calm down and start looking at APS-C again.

Maybe, but then it will be MILC APS-C, D-500/EOS 7D II flagships, or entry level DSLR stuff. Midrange APS-C bodies (like K-3) will disappear.

Alex Sarbu wrote:

DS21 wrote:

asahi man wrote:

But, SLR!!

Best regards

That is not a translation. That is you expressing your own thoughts.

OTOH Ricoh Imaging said they're working on an APS-C flaghip... how, whom should I believe?

Alex

"Currently nearly all the development power is going into K fullframe SLR.

Body and lens development, very interesting and in 2 classes."

Are you saying Asahi Man is not to be believed? And we are expecting his posts eagerly, like a rays of sunshine to bring us happiness in our information and update starved Ricoh world.

With "nearly all development power going into K fullframe SLR", how long do you think it will take for APS-C flagship to appear, and how good it will be......  KP II anyone?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads