AF issue with 100-400 MKII + 1.4x III on 5DMKIV

Started 1 month ago | Questions
SrinathPreddy
SrinathPreddy Regular Member • Posts: 345
AF issue with 100-400 MKII + 1.4x III on 5DMKIV

Hello All,

Since I had reach issues with 100-400 MKII on 5DMKIV, i recently picked-up 1.4x III.

I'm observing AF issue 100-400 MKII + 1.4x III on 5DMKIV in following cases:

- AF fails when I have focused on a far object and next moment I need to focus on a near object

- AF fails when I have focused on a near object and next moment I need to focus on a far object

Workaround : Turn manual focus ring and then use AF

Note : I have configured Back Button Focus

-- hide signature --
 SrinathPreddy's gear list:SrinathPreddy's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
irm Senior Member • Posts: 2,955
Re: AF issue with 100-400 MKII + 1.4x III on 5DMKIV

I found that when I originally tried, but have since read the manual a number of times and changed the AF points. Changing the AF points made a huge difference.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,102

I don't know the 5D Mark IV, but on my 7D Mark II there are six AF Cases each of which pertains to a different shooting situation. I presume the 5D Mark IV has something similar. So you need to read the manual and choose a new AF Case which most closely matches your needs.

Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,781
AF Hunt

If you turn off AF hunting, you'll see that problem. That may not be the exact term Canon uses, but that's what you need to look for in the menu .

-- hide signature --

Steve

Blue II's gear list:Blue II's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
SrinathPreddy
OP SrinathPreddy Regular Member • Posts: 345

irm wrote:

I found that when I originally tried, but have since read the manual a number of times and changed the AF points. Changing the AF points made a huge difference.

Thanks, I shall try that over weekend.

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
SrinathPreddy
Re: AF Hunt

Blue II wrote:

If you turn off AF hunting, you'll see that problem. That may not be the exact term Canon uses, but that's what you need to look for in the menu .

Thanks. Let me check about this.

-- hide signature --
SrinathPreddy

CameraCarl wrote:

I don't know the 5D Mark IV, but on my 7D Mark II there are six AF Cases each of which pertains to a different shooting situation. I presume the 5D Mark IV has something similar. So you need to read the manual and choose a new AF Case which most closely matches your needs.

Thanks for the input, and yes, 5DMKIV has similar AF cases as 7DMKII.

But the issue which I have described is noting to do with AF cases. It is more about AF itself.

-- hide signature --
apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,367

PDAF sensors have a certain range. They can see when a subject is in focus, and when it's out of focus. They can also see how far out of focus a subject is. But there's a limit to that. If a subject is too far out of focus, then the AF sensor looses sight of it, so to speak. Thus focusing becomes impossible, since the AF sensor can't tell which way to turn the focus ring to regain focus.

In this case, you have the option to set what to do when AF is impossible. Should the camera just wait for the subject to come near enough to be in focus, so it can sense it with the AF sensor, or should it send the lens for a focus search mission? In the latter case, the lens camera will run the lens from infinity to nearest distance (unless limited by a focus range setting on the lens), to see if there is anything to focus at at any distance.

This is mostly obvious with long telephotos, since they can become grossly defocused. A super wide angle never has this problem, as it's always somewhat in focus.

I don't have any 5D Mark IV, but this is in the AF menu page four in all 1DX models, so start looking there.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more
jennajenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,491

what sort of hit if any do you take with coverage AF on the 5div when using the 1.4iii?

apersson850 Senior Member • Posts: 1,367

Do you refer to which, if any, AF points that aren't working with that lens combination on that camera?
If so, I recommend checking the manual or the AF guide. They are usually very detailed. Myself, I have neither the camera nor the lens to try with.

-- hide signature --

Anders

apersson850's gear list:apersson850's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +24 more
kleks Regular Member • Posts: 164

5d4 menu:

AF tab ( second from the left ), page 4, top item

Lens Drive when  AF impossible (ON / Off).

Man pp 141.

/kleks

-- hide signature --

point'n'click view of the world:
http://www.kleks.org/fotos/

kleks's gear list:kleks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads