D500 + SB700 - best way to get off-camera flash?

Started Sep 3, 2018 | Discussions
Brzda Regular Member • Posts: 145
D500 + SB700 - best way to get off-camera flash?

Hi, I have upgraded from D7200 to D500 and while I used to enjoy the optical remote trigger working between D7200 and my SB700, with D500 I'm now looking for the best remote flash solution going forward. My use case is portraiture and one off-camera flash should be good now but future-proof investment with the option to add another flash (on camera or remote) would be a bonus.

Ideally, I'd like to utilize my SB700 which I like but purchasing another Nikon flash or remote trigger looks like an expensive solution and a lock-in within expensive first party lighting system. So I'd like to find out if some sort of hybrid solution is possible or if selling off SB700 and buying into a new system works best in my situation.

What would you recommend? Thanks!

Brzda's gear list:Brzda's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III
Nikon D500 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuck Yadmark
Chuck Yadmark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,966
Re: D500 + SB700 - best way to get off-camera flash?

I would skip optical control and go to radio controlled receivers/transceivers.

The main brand being PocketWizard but I've gone with cheaper Yongnuo and for me its been fine.  A friend of mine has used Godox.

-- hide signature --

Ann Arbor, MI USA
www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Panasonic G85 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +31 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 13,128
Sell off the D500?

Brzda wrote:

Hi, I have upgraded from D7200 to D500 and while I used to enjoy the optical remote trigger working between D7200 and my SB700, with D500 I'm now looking for the best remote flash solution going forward. My use case is portraiture and one off-camera flash should be good now but future-proof investment with the option to add another flash (on camera or remote) would be a bonus.

Ideally, I'd like to utilize my SB700 which I like but purchasing another Nikon flash or remote trigger looks like an expensive solution and a lock-in within expensive first party lighting system. So I'd like to find out if some sort of hybrid solution is possible or if selling off SB700 and buying into a new system works best in my situation.

For portraiture I'm wondering what motivated acquisition of the D500? It's not as if studio portraiture requires the buffer or autofocus advantages of the D500. Maybe revert to a D7200 or perhaps get a D7500, keep the SB700 and sell the D500?

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,678

Brzda wrote:

Whatever you get, make sure it is iTTL compatible so you can still contral the flash output from the camera with multiple flashes, otherwise you will have to take the slide rule out of mothballs

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
OP Brzda Regular Member • Posts: 145
Re: Sell off the D500?

David Lal wrote:

Brzda wrote:

For portraiture I'm wondering what motivated acquisition of the D500? It's not as if studio portraiture requires the buffer or autofocus advantages of the D500. Maybe revert to a D7200 or perhaps get a D7500, keep the SB700 and sell the D500?

Good question - I loved my D7200 but I'm into wildlife photography as well and portraiture has only become a new venture for me lately which I absolutely love learning to do well. It also has to do with abundance and patience of subject matter! ;-D What also goes for D500 is it's superb FX-like ergonomics (size, viewfinder etc.). So FX body would be great for portraiture but being a hobbyist D500 is the best for me.

Now back to the topic!

Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 26,893

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

I would skip optical control and go to radio controlled receivers/transceivers.

The main brand being PocketWizard but I've gone with cheaper Yongnuo and for me its been fine. A friend of mine has used Godox.

Good advice here. I mix Godox flashes and radio remotes with Nikon flashes on a D500. Godox gear is CLS compatible though there flashes lack TTL-BL which is easily made up for with some flash compensation. There products are reasonable priced and easy enough to use.

Flash with Transmitter:

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-V860II-N-Speedlite-Wireless-Trigger/dp/B071ZJMXLQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1513016739&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=v860ii-n&psc=1

Transmitter and receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/Fomito-Wireless-Trigger-cameras-flashes/dp/B01FFGJY28/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1535995525&sr=8-9&keywords=X1N

Receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/Godox-Wireless-Single-Receiver-Camera/dp/B01E58ZFCA/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535995525&sr=sr-1&keywords=X1N

The flash has built in wireless receiver and transmitter and also includes Nikon IR transmitter and receiver.  It can only be wireless or IR at a time.

I've had my Godox gear for about a year and have been very happy and I'll never pay Nikon for there expensive and quick to burn out flashes again.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
226Photo Regular Member • Posts: 164

I just picked up the Flashpoint Evolv 200 and R2 Pro trigger. I am fairly impressed with it in the few days I have had it. Short of sitting in a hot shoe it does a better job than any of the speed lights I've tried.

226Photo's gear list:226Photo's gear list
Nikon D500 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more

226Photo wrote:

I just picked up the Flashpoint Evolv 200 and R2 Pro trigger. I am fairly impressed with it in the few days I have had it. Short of sitting in a hot shoe it does a better job than any of the speed lights I've tried.

I also recently noticed Godox AD200 which I believe is pretty much the same thing as your Flashpoint... Anyway, what is better about a strobe like this compared to speedlights (except for the obvious fact of having more powerful output)? Would love to see some hands-on comparison.

226Photo Regular Member • Posts: 164

The modularity of it. It has a Fresnel head with modeling light, Bare Bulb, and now a round head. Now they make a dual head for it.

Just last night I noticed it could be in wireless and optical slave mode at the same time. I can think of using that with other flash trigger systems.

226Photo's gear list:226Photo's gear list
Nikon D500 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more

226Photo wrote:

The modularity of it. It has a Fresnel head with modeling light, Bare Bulb, and now a round head. Now they make a dual head for it.

Just last night I noticed it could be in wireless and optical slave mode at the same time. I can think of using that with other flash trigger systems.

Thanks, how quickly do you think I as a hobbyist seriously learning outdoor (on-location) portrait photography might be outgrowing my current SB700 - or any speedlight for that matter? How do I know when a speedlight won't cut it any more (e.g. overpowering bright midday sun?)? Does adding modifier such as MagSphere and color gels reduce the output substantially? Sorry, for beginner's questions.. I only understand the benefits of modelling light, but not the other you mention like bare bulb etc. Guess it has to do with other equipment that you use for lighting etc...

I'm asking so I can make the best investment into a system that I can grow with while staying compatible with what I already have. Purchasing SB700 years ago was fine as a one-off but seems now like a very expensive way to go when I want to add functionality on top of it.

n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,678

Brzda wrote:

226Photo wrote:

Thanks, how quickly do you think I as a hobbyist seriously learning outdoor (on-location) portrait photography might be outgrowing my current SB700 - or any speedlight for that matter? How do I know when a speedlight won't cut it any more (e.g. overpowering bright midday sun?)? Does adding modifier such as MagSphere and color gels reduce the output substantially? Sorry, for beginner's questions.. I only understand the benefits of modelling light, but not the other you mention like bare bulb etc. Guess it has to do with other equipment that you use for lighting etc...

I'm asking so I can make the best investment into a system that I can grow with while staying compatible with what I already have. Purchasing SB700 years ago was fine as a one-off but seems now like a very expensive way to go when I want to add functionality on top of it.

You might want to visit the Studio and lighting talk forum , where you will learn everything you want to know on the subject. It is a good source of information regarding the various options. One point I quickly got there was that you get more power/dollar with strobes than with speedlights, so be prepared to spend on portable lighting!

You might also want to view the Joe McNally series of videos on Youtube , and also look for his books. Where Nikon strobes are concerned, he is king.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads