Shockingly sharp

Started Sep 1, 2018 | User reviews
Trym Regular Member • Posts: 149
Shockingly sharp

I have the Sony E-mount version of this lens and use it on my A7Rii. I am not a macro photographer but got this two years ago just for fun since the price is quite low. Also the 2x macro is really fun when you nail the focus.

What really surprised me with this lens is how sharp this lens really is for non macro photos.  When i looked at some pictures I snapped of my son in the back garden i had to  do double check in light room to really see if i had the right lens.

Good lens for the money with great optics and build quality.

Trym's gear list:Trym's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +10 more
Venus Laowa 60mm F2.8 2X Ultra Macro
Macro prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF2, Sony/Minolta Alpha, Sony E
Announced: Jun 23, 2015
Trym's score
Average community score
epozar Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: Shockingly sharp

Frankly.. all current macro lenses are very sharp.

-- hide signature --
 epozar's gear list:epozar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 +9 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,312

Hi. How do you find the operation of the focus ring and how is the general build quality of the lens?

Thanks.

OP Trym Regular Member • Posts: 149

The lens is of metal and a very solid build. I have smoother lenses than this but typically then it is much more expensive glass. For the money i think this is a great lens.

Trym's gear list:Trym's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +10 more
Satyaa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,312

Thank you

-- hide signature --

I thought that blocking a user was rude but I have recently found that it is becoming a necessity. If I am not responding to some users/posts, now you know why...

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,213

Trym wrote:

I have the Sony E-mount version of this lens and use it on my A7Rii. I am not a macro photographer but got this two years ago just for fun since the price is quite low. Also the 2x macro is really fun when you nail the focus.

What really surprised me with this lens is how sharp this lens really is for non macro photos. When i looked at some pictures I snapped of my son in the back garden i had to do double check in light room to really see if i had the right lens.

Good lens for the money with great optics and build quality.

I picked up the Oshiro 60mm which is a knock off of the Venus lens for $180.   There is a cover on the Oshiro version which isn't on the Venus.

The lens is sharp and it does focus a fraction of an inch away from a subject.  The easy way to nail focus for macro is roughly frame the shot you want even though it's blurry then move a little to complete focus.   it's easier than playing with the focus ring at high magnification.

This lens is also interesting when trying to get a dark background.   I've found it does this easily in a darkish venue at around F8 when flash is used.

Another Venus lens that got copied was the 15mm f4 and it's an interesting lens as well.  Opteka has a very inexpensive version which is well worth checking out.  The Opteka version doesn't have the shift ability of the Venus.

Grant.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads