E- vs L- vs RF- vs Z-mount

Started Sep 1, 2018 | Discussions
9ck
9ck Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
E- vs L- vs RF- vs Z-mount

A quick sketch of the mirrorless mount  geometry / design from four major players (some based on rumors). How significant is this difference when it comes down to lens design (I guess we all can agree that 4mm in body thickness is irrelevant).

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

9ck's gear list:9ck's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +14 more
9ck
OP 9ck Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Re: E- vs L- vs RF- vs Z-mount

9ck wrote:

A quick sketch of the mirrorless mount geometry / design from four major players (some based on rumors). How significant is this difference when it comes down to lens design (I guess we all can agree that 4mm in body thickness is irrelevant).

Nikon has done something significant with their new Z-mount in comparison to their F-mount, but I have no grasp as to how significant it might be in comparison to other MILCs offerings.  Hope you'd like to debate.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +14 more
beatboxa Senior Member • Posts: 6,657

9ck wrote:

A quick sketch of the mirrorless mount geometry / design from four major players (some based on rumors). How significant is this difference when it comes down to lens design (I guess we all can agree that 4mm in body thickness is irrelevant).

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60695647

JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,177
Diagonal?

9ck wrote:

I like your diagram. Would it be easy for you to do a version with the baseline the diagonal of the format, rather than the width in landscape orientation? I think that's the limiting case.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV +2 more
mapgraphs
mapgraphs Senior Member • Posts: 1,401

9ck wrote:

I wonder if the width of the Z mount might allow for the design of more telecentric lenses... Especially fast wides?

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,551

9ck wrote:

Nikons' is the most extreme. Good or bad I don't know. But the most important thing is that this is it for all the players! For the future, decades maybe , they will have to work around these specifications.

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

9ck
Re: Diagonal?

Hi Jim!
Here you go. I've made the sketch for both width, height and diagonal measurements.

Width = 36mm

Height = 24mm

Diagonal = 43,3mm

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

9ck

Thank you beatboxa! I'll have a look at this...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

JimKasson

9ck wrote:

Hi Jim!
Here you go. I've made the sketch for both width, height and diagonal measurements.

Width = 36mm

Height = 24mm

Diagonal = 43,3mm

That's great!

I think that shows the limitations of the E and L mounts. The exit pupil can't get much bigger than the format diagonal unless it's a long way from the sensor.

Jim

-- hide signature --

JimKasson wrote:

9ck wrote:

Hi Jim!

Width = 36mm

Height = 24mm

Diagonal = 43,3mm

That's great!

I think that shows the limitations of the E and L mounts. The exit pupil can't get much bigger than the format diagonal unless it's a long way from the sensor.

Jim

Just one more item of consideration:  IBIS.

To support IBIS well, the lens should ideally cover an image circle larger than the diagonal of the sensor.

9ck

How much space for IBIS would you like :-)?

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

JimKasson

beatboxa wrote:

Just one more item of consideration: IBIS.

To support IBIS well, the lens should ideally cover an image circle larger than the diagonal of the sensor.

Good point. Maybe we should look at a 45 mm baseline...

Jim

-- hide signature --
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,432

9ck wrote:

I'm not sure that diagram is correct? It's using 46.1 for the Sony and 55 for the Nikon. I believe the Sony is using the throat diameter but the Nikon is using the thread diameter.

I think this might be more correct?

I believe the above diagram comes from here.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/11/nikons-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-rumored-to-have-a-new-z-mount-with-16mm-flange-focal-distance.aspx/

What's right?

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

9ck
Re: Diagonal? + 1mm for IBIS

With an extra 1mm in both height and width for IBIS the diagonal ends up at 44,7mm.

Diagonal incl. 1mm for IBIS = 44,7mm

PS: I've made a small mistake in the sketch above. Only consequence is that the angel for the RF-mount should be 103.2 degrees. Everything else should be correct as is.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

9ck wrote:

Good question.  Don't know.  This looks like 25-50% larger:

While I've seen others that appear as low as 5%.

Interestingly, 25% larger = 54mm.

JimKasson

beatboxa wrote:

9ck wrote:

Good question. Don't know. This looks like 25-50% larger:

While I've seen others that appear as low as 5%.

Interestingly, 25% larger = 54mm.

The way that I use IBIS, the images that I care about sharpness in the corners are exposed with minimal camera movement. I'm assuming that OSS is doing the heavy lifting with long lenses. But I don't really know the position of the sensor when the shutter goes off.

I expect that there's a greater IBIS range for video since the photographer is moving the camera deliberately while the (electronic) shutter is firing.

Jim

-- hide signature --
9ck

nuke12 wrote:

9ck wrote:

I'm not sure that diagram is correct? It's using 46.1 for the Sony and 55 for the Nikon. I believe the Sony is using the throat diameter but the Nikon is using the thread diameter.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/11/nikons-upcoming-mirrorless-camera-rumored-to-have-a-new-z-mount-with-16mm-flange-focal-distance.aspx/

What's right?

My drawing might be off but that rumor is from January and stating an external diameter of the Z-mount to be 49mm. I don't think it's correct.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards 9ck

nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,432

9ck wrote:

nuke12 wrote:

9ck wrote:

What's right?

My drawing might be off but that rumor is from January and stating an external diameter of the Z-mount to be 49mm. I don't think it's correct.

Then there is this diagram. Notice the F mount is 47mm and the Z mount is 55mm which I believe to be the thread diameter.

The throat of the F mount is 44mm and I'm still inclined to believe the Z is 49mm.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

AG_P New Member • Posts: 1

Z mount seems huge than the others

Xasan Contributing Member • Posts: 917

JimKasson wrote:

beatboxa wrote:

Just one more item of consideration: IBIS.

Good point. Maybe we should look at a 45 mm baseline...

Jim

Schneider-Kreuznach on Xenon FF-Prime lenses: "elegantly cover the full 45mm image circle".

https://www.schneideroptics.com/xenonff-prime/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads