Automatic focus stacking with Sony - It can be done (software inside) Locked

Started Aug 29, 2018 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
binarycamera
binarycamera Forum Member • Posts: 58
Automatic focus stacking with Sony - It can be done (software inside)

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the Sony Imagine Edge software supports shifting the focus of my A7R3. Unfortunately the software itself does not provide sufficient means of automation to make focus stacking possible. I work as a software developer so I decided to build a small tool to fill the gap. The program simulates a user pressing the "shift focus"-button and "take picture"-button over and over again. In a way its a remote for a remote.

This is the first public version of my software. Please bear in mind that it was created in my leisure time in a couple of hours spread across weekends. So don't expect too much.
The software is open source, I don't make any profit with it nor do I intent to.
You can find some more infos and the download link at github: B8Stack at github

Here is a picture of an old brokoli that I found in my fridge stacked from 120 images:

And a little screenshot of the software:

Feedback is welcome.

binarycamera's gear list:binarycamera's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +2 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954
Interesting. Any hope at all for Android ?

I'm hoping for a way to avoid Sony and Windows.
Surely a modern phone/tablet has enough grunt not to need the framework ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R A3000 +26 more
Paul Barnard
Paul Barnard Veteran Member • Posts: 3,500
Re: Automatic focus stacking with Sony - It can be done (software inside)

binarycamera wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the Sony Imagine Edge software supports shifting the focus of my A7R3. Unfortunately the software itself does not provide sufficient means of automation to make focus stacking possible. I work as a software developer so I decided to build a small tool to fill the gap. The program simulates a user pressing the "shift focus"-button and "take picture"-button over and over again. In a way its a remote for a remote.

This is the first public version of my software. Please bear in mind that it was created in my leisure time in a couple of hours spread across weekends. So don't expect too much.
The software is open source, I don't make any profit with it nor do I intent to.

Here is a picture of an old brokoli that I found in my fridge stacked from 120 images:

Feedback is welcome.

That’s neat. I have a long flight today. I’ll take a look and see if similar can be done on the Mac. First thought is no due to sand boxing but I know test tools like load runner can perform similar tasks so maybe it can

Clever idea. Well done!

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,717

Thank you!

It is defiantly better than having to put the camera on my own homemade focus rail made from parts from an old lathe and turn the small hand wheel between each shot.

If it would be possible to use this code as an app on Android over the OTG USB Host adapter and the normal tethering cable over to the camera that would really do it.
--

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,017

Thanks for taking the time to do  this it looks very promising

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” John Adams

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,868

binarycamera wrote:

Feedback is welcome.

That is brilliant binarycamera. Many thanks for your work.

We are going to see a lot more of this in the next couple of years with dof controlled by computer imaging rather than f stop and cameras designed take bursts of shots at different focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
NickHT Forum Member • Posts: 87

Very nice, but couldn’t one just buy Helicon Focus? Or doesn’t it support Sony cameras?

texdpl Contributing Member • Posts: 922

binarycamera

That is incredible.  I'm too dumb to use it.   I would certainly buy it if you get it to a marketable form.  Please keep us up to date.

Great work!!

It's sad to be eat up with the dumb-ass.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
I_love_Sony Regular Member • Posts: 196

Your broccoli looks great! I just found one of my old socks behind the dryer, will it look good with stacking?

binarycamera
OP binarycamera Forum Member • Posts: 58

NickHT wrote:

Very nice, but couldn’t one just buy Helicon Focus? Or doesn’t it support Sony cameras?

Based on their own site there isn't any support for sonys in their software: clicky

Also you have to pay for a license, for people like me who only do a macro shot once in a while its simple not worth it.

Sony a7 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +2 more
binarycamera

I_love_Sony wrote:

Your broccoli looks great! I just found one of my old socks behind the dryer, will it look good with stacking?

If only I could turn sarcasm into electricity.

binarycamera

texdpl wrote:

That is incredible. I'm too dumb to use it. I would certainly buy it if you get it to a marketable form. Please keep us up to date.

If you experience any problems or don't know what to do please tell me. Its quite difficult to write an thorough usage guide for something that you created yourself.

In addition, the software was only tested on two computers. It may not work for you for unknown reasons.

SurfFish Contributing Member • Posts: 508
Awesome!

Best ever post I read this last few days of being active here in DPR again.

Thank you!

SurfFish's gear list:SurfFish's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a99 II Sony a6400 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +8 more
Milo_the_photographer Regular Member • Posts: 314

binarycamera wrote:

Feedback is welcome.

Sony use to have MFNR (multi frame noise reduction in the cameras) and Canon have focus stacking in some, so yes it can defiantly be done.

Don't know how popular it would be, seems a bit niche, but it would be nice to have for sure.

Paul Barnard
A Mac version

binarycamera wrote:

Feedback is welcome.

The same approach works on the Mac. This is a very quick and dirty app to show the principle. Code is on GitHub if anyone wants it. I'll put a built app there as well

https://github.com/paulrbarnard/stacker

Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +5 more
Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,813
Re: A Mac version

Paul Barnard wrote:

binarycamera wrote:

Feedback is welcome.

The same approach works on the Mac. This is a very quick and dirty app to show the principle. Code is on GitHub if anyone wants it. I'll put a built app there as well

Thanks for all your work. Will this work on other a7 models such as the a7R2?

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
Paul Barnard
Re: A Mac version

Camley wrote:

Paul Barnard wrote:

binarycamera wrote:

Feedback is welcome.

Thanks for all your work. Will this work on other a7 models such as the a7R2?
It will work with any Sony camera that their remote app works with that has focus by wire support. Certainly all the 7 series I think.

Keep in mind I just wrote this on a flight home from China so it’s certainly not polished. It’s similar to binarycamera’s version but a bit different. It uses the same technique devised by binarycamera

mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,024

Keep up the good work! I’ll follow this thread. Thnxs!

But...does it also work with the A7RII?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
JSSadowsky Forum Member • Posts: 61

binarycamera wrote:

My highest admiration! Thank you.

A few months ago I started a thread on app development for Sony cameras, and the A7R iii specific. There was good discussion on the Play Memories API (and its lack of support on the A7R iii), and the SDK.  Other life events have prevented me putting any effort into that since then.  But, that forum has links and discussions that might be a good starting point for developers.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60952074

JSSadowsky's gear list:JSSadowsky's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8
binarycamera

mujana wrote:

Keep up the good work! I’ll follow this thread. Thnxs!

But...does it also work with the A7RII?

If the Imagine Edge Remote software allows you to shift focus on your A7RII then yes, it will work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads