My Nikon Z Mirrorless Rant to Nikon R&D and Corporate Marketing

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Benjamin Kanarek
Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 3,087
My Nikon Z Mirrorless Rant to Nikon R&D and Corporate Marketing

Dear Nikon R&D and Corporate Marketing

ORIGINAL LINK: http://benjaminkanarekblog.com/weu4

As a Nikon Pro user for 25+ years, shooting for the likes of ELLE, , STYLE, etc... with 4 x FF bodies and 12+ lenses, I was aghast at the obvious oversight and flagrant ignorance in not providing a 2nd card slot. As a fashion photographer, I can afford a card failure, as I often tether and when shooting 10 + clothing changes in a day, I can re-shoot the image if need be. But the HORROR of a wedding, event, a journalist asking that the ceremony be re-done or can that robber re-do his take for that lucky capture when robbing the 7/11, or can you ask the CEO of "That Huge Corporation" to re-do his opening speech, is something that makes me cringe just thinking about it. I have 2 systems...Nikon and Fuji for now..., my name...I am in the Fashion Biz and have a rather high profile. I take this stuff very seriouslyWhat were you thinking??? Oh and that battery...lets not even go there for now. Those were simple things to consider. Any REAL pro you consulted with would have told you that 1 card slot is a huge NO! Who did you consult with??? Really! Some photographers who like tech stuff and specs or real working professionals. Nikon, you know how may fashion photographers use your stuff, why didn't you ask us. The ones on the front line that know the gear better than many of you do. Get it together before more of your loyal users migrate to another system altogether

Benjamin Kanarek.

Photo Below shot for Harper's using a Nikon D800e and Nikkon 85mm f/1.8 at f/1.8

Benjamin Kanarek's gear list:Benjamin Kanarek's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 +24 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Allen L
Allen L Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: My Nikon Z Mirrorless Rant to Nikon R&D and Corporate Marketing

Waiting for people to ask you this that question "How many time in your 25 years have you came across a card failure?"

Just want say that action wildlife shooters with single card is like skydiving without a AAD or a reserve parachute.

Benjamin Kanarek
OP Benjamin Kanarek Veteran Member • Posts: 3,087

AMENDED POST:

As a Nikon Pro user for 25+ years, shooting for the likes of ELLE, VOGUE, Harper's BAZAAR, GRAZIA , STYLE, etc... with 4 x FF NIKON bodies and 12+ lenses, I was aghast at the obvious oversight and flagrant ignorance in not providing a 2nd card slot. As a fashion photographer, I can afford a card failure, as I often tether and when shooting 10 + clothing changes in a day, I can re-shoot the image if need be. But the HORROR of a wedding, event, a journalist asking that the ceremony be re-done or can that robber re-do his take for that lucky capture when robbing the 7/11, or can you ask the CEO of "That Huge Corporation" to re-do his opening speech, is something that makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I have 2 systems...Nikon and Fuji for now...NIKON, GOOGLE my name...I am in the Fashion Biz and have a rather high profile. I take this stuff very seriously....What were you thinking

Oh and that battery, insignificant lens selection and poor lens adaption using the lens adapter and sub-par performance in AF speed and accuracy, lets not even go there for now. Hopefully, those problems can be addressed in future firmware updates. Those were simple things to consider. Any REAL pro you consulted with would have told you that 1 card slot is a huge NO! Who did you consult with

Really! Some wanna be photographers who like tech stuff and specs or real working professionals. Nikon, you know how many fashion photographers use your stuff. Why didn't you ask us. You know, the ones on the front line that know the gear better than many of you do. Get it together before more of your loyal users migrate to another system altogether

Benjamin Kanarek.
www.benjaminkanarek.com

Benjamin Kanarek

Allen L wrote:

Waiting for people to ask you this that question "How many time in your 25 years have you came across a card failure?"

Just want say that action wildlife shooters with single card is like skydiving without a AAD or a reserve parachute.

Exactly...I just cannot understand the stupidity or lack of foresight in this decision alone!

SydneyOho Regular Member • Posts: 175
Take deep breath

Calm down.

The Z6 and Z7 clearly are not aimed at pro shooters, but will satisfy many other photogs.

The pro version/s will eventually be available.

-- hide signature --

Syd

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Allen L wrote:

Exactly...I just cannot understand the stupidity or lack of foresight in this decision alone!

Maybe that the camera isn't aimed at action/wildlife photographers?

Nikon's view I would imagine is that the wildlife shooting market is already catered to well by their DSLR's. A mirrorless system is not going to have the same native lens support and even with AF advances is also not going to offer the same performance as a D500, D850 or D5.

Equally the markets you mentioned like wedding photography or advertising shooting are already catered to well by DSLR's plus lets remember they are relatively small markets, Amateur users probably outnumber them 100/1 at least when it comes to buying cameras like a D850. Seems to me your falling into the trap of equating your own needs with the market as a whole.

I would imagine Nikon's feeling was that its that amateur market they are aiming at most strongly with these cameras and if theres a pro market its going to be videographers. That's a market Nikon do not have much of with their current DSLR's and those users are also likely to be recording to an external device so card slots make less difference to them.

My guess is you'll see a higher end Z body with 2 slots released at some stage in the future, maybe next year when the F/2.8 zooms and the Noct 58mm are released.

Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,205

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

As a Nikon Pro user for 25+ years, shooting for the likes of ELLE, , STYLE, etc... with 4 x FF bodies and 12+ lenses, I was aghast at the obvious oversight and flagrant ignorance in not providing a 2nd card slot. As a fashion photographer, I can afford a card failure, as I often tether and when shooting 10 + clothing changes in a day, I can re-shoot the image if need be. But the HORROR of a wedding, event, a journalist asking that the ceremony be re-done or can that robber re-do his take for that lucky capture when robbing the 7/11, or can you ask the CEO of "That Huge Corporation" to re-do his opening speech, is something that makes me cringe just thinking about it. I have 2 systems...Nikon and Fuji for now..., my name...I am in the Fashion Biz and have a rather high profile. I take this stuff very seriouslyWhat were you thinking??? Oh and that battery...lets not even go there for now. Those were simple things to consider. Any REAL pro you consulted with would have told you that 1 card slot is a huge NO! Who did you consult with??? Really! Some photographers who like tech stuff and specs or real working professionals. Nikon, you know how may fashion photographers use your stuff, why didn't you ask us. The ones on the front line that know the gear better than many of you do. Get it together before more of your loyal users migrate to another system altogether

Benjamin Kanarek.

Photo Below shot for Harper's using a Nikon D800e and Nikkon 85mm f/1.8 at f/1.8

Great post Ben.  I was thinking of you a few days ago and was going to post a link to your website during another one of these discussions (on FaceBook no less) about Pros and their needs. Until proven otherwise I have to agree with you that 2 cards are better than one.  Its not a showstopper for me since I am not a pro but I can certainly understand your point of view.  Actually I will probably pass on this version of the Z because I have a Sony A7III and don't see much advantage for me to switch, even though I love Nikon cameras.  I still have the D850 and will continue to use it.

The challenge I have is for someone to produce data that the single XQD card is better than 2 SD cards under various failure modes.  I can envision some where two are clearly better (such as physical loss, not failure of a card) but I would like to see actual numbers for some common failure modes ( data corruption, card damage, slot failure, etc).

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
mapgraphs
mapgraphs Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Due diligance?

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek.

Due diligence?

Did you even bother to look at the specs of the cameras these two models are designed to compete with - now, in the enthusiast market segment? The first order of business is to build a broad user base for a new product, not come out of the gate with a product aimed at a tiny group of gear geeks.

If you had done any due diligence at all, as any self respecting pro would be inclined to do, you might have noticed that these two cameras are apparently designed to offer another choice for those looking at the a7ii/iii and a7Rii (apparently Sony's best selling models). The Z6 & Z7 are not designed to compete with an a9xxx.

However, with what these two cameras suggest, as the foundation for future "pro" body releases, it looks like Nikon is paying very close attention to their pro user base.

Take a deep breath, breath slowly.

Droster Regular Member • Posts: 176

We act as though Nikon doesn't produce any pro bodies. The D500, D850, and D5 are still around.

It's Nikon's first try at FX mirrorless. Did you honestly expect them to fly on the first step and not start somewhere and make refinements along the way?

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +6 more
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,664

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

AMENDED POST:

As a Nikon Pro user for 25+ years, shooting for the likes of ELLE, VOGUE, Harper's BAZAAR, GRAZIA , STYLE, etc... with 4 x FF NIKON bodies and 12+ lenses, I was aghast at the obvious oversight and flagrant ignorance in not providing a 2nd card slot. As a fashion photographer, I can afford a card failure, as I often tether and when shooting 10 + clothing changes in a day, I can re-shoot the image if need be. But the HORROR of a wedding, event, a journalist asking that the ceremony be re-done or can that robber re-do his take for that lucky capture when robbing the 7/11, or can you ask the CEO of "That Huge Corporation" to re-do his opening speech, is something that makes me cringe just thinking about it.

I have 2 systems...Nikon and Fuji for now...NIKON, GOOGLE my name...I am in the Fashion Biz and have a rather high profile. I take this stuff very seriously....What were you thinking

Oh and that battery, insignificant lens selection and poor lens adaption using the lens adapter and sub-par performance in AF speed and accuracy, lets not even go there for now. Hopefully, those problems can be addressed in future firmware updates. Those were simple things to consider. Any REAL pro you consulted with would have told you that 1 card slot is a huge NO! Who did you consult with

The battery issue has been shown to be a non-issue.  Real users are getting far more battery time than the CIPA rating, more like 1000 to 1600 shots per battery.  One outlet reported 2000.

As for the adapter, all early reports indicate that it works great...no problems.  Don't know where you got your data.  Also AF is getting fine marks from early reviewers.  Again, don't trust someone who handled the camera for a few minutes.

Really! Some wanna be photographers who like tech stuff and specs or real working professionals. Nikon, you know how many fashion photographers use your stuff. Why didn't you ask us. You know, the ones on the front line that know the gear better than many of you do. Get it together before more of your loyal users migrate to another system altogether

Benjamin Kanarek.
www.benjaminkanarek.com

chambeshi Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Storm in a Teacup

Allen L wrote:

XQD ≠ SD. Go read and figure.

dual XQD? Only the D5

Many of us wildlife photographers have shot the D500 and D850 since first release soley on 1 XQD. Least of our worries "out there". I am more worried about the shutter failing, or the mirror. We never put a  2nd card near these pro cameras BUT we back up from cards and don't overuse any card. Rational due diligence that is standard for pros (or should be)

Dropped SD as mainline cards but keep a couple for exception of my Df (also not a worry in 3 years on single SD for the many content shooters)

Thom Hogan provides a rational take on this, he shoots pro sports etc BTW.

All the bleating over single-card = boring drone of trolls

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon PC-E Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D +12 more
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,664

MoreorLess wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Allen L wrote:

Nikon's view I would imagine is that the wildlife shooting market is already catered to well by their DSLR's. A mirrorless system is not going to have the same native lens support and even with AF advances is also not going to offer the same performance as a D500, D850 or D5.

Equally the markets you mentioned like wedding photography or advertising shooting are already catered to well by DSLR's plus lets remember they are relatively small markets, Amateur users probably outnumber them 100/1 at least when it comes to buying cameras like a D850. Seems to me your falling into the trap of equating your own needs with the market as a whole.

I would imagine Nikon's feeling was that its that amateur market they are aiming at most strongly with these cameras and if theres a pro market its going to be videographers. That's a market Nikon do not have much of with their current DSLR's and those users are also likely to be recording to an external device so card slots make less difference to them.

My guess is you'll see a higher end Z body with 2 slots released at some stage in the future, maybe next year when the F/2.8 zooms and the Noct 58mm are released.

Exactly.  Pro's are usually the last to update and chase the latest tech.  Look at the OP; he still uses a Nikon D800e, he didn't upgrade to the D810 or the D850.

There will be a higher end bods in the near future.  But given that the OP doesn't upgrade much, will even that prompt an upgrade?

LuxLuthor Forum Member • Posts: 89

Consider the failure rates of the different subsystems of the camera.

If the card has a 1 out of a million chance of failure, and the shutter has a 1 out of 1000 chance of failure (hypothetical)  then the odds are having 2 card slots will do you no good at all, right? The proper thing to do is have a second camera body in case the first camera fails, right? And if it is important, why wouldn't you do that?

Everybody complains, but is it based on facts? Does anybody know the failure rates of these subsystems? I would trust the Nikon engineers have thought this through more than everybody commenting on things they don't know about.

redwing Regular Member • Posts: 377

.I am in the Fashion Biz and have a rather high profile. I take this stuff very seriously....What were you thinking

Nikon, you know how many fashion photographers use your stuff. Why didn't you ask us. You know, the ones on the front line that know the gear better than many of you do. Get it together before more of your loyal users migrate to another system altogether

Perhaps, Mr. Kanarek, despite your high profile, vast knowledge and brand loyalty, Nikon targeted someone else for this offering?

Molly Brown summed this up with, "Your prayers were answered - and the answer was no."

Cheers, Redwing

Laslo Varadi

Thoughts R Us wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Allen L wrote:

Exactly. Pro's are usually the last to update and chase the latest tech. Look at the OP; he still uses a Nikon D800e, he didn't upgrade to the D810 or the D850.

There will be a higher end bods in the near future. But given that the OP doesn't upgrade much, will even that prompt an upgrade?

He also shoots with a Fuji X-t2 and X-H1 (recent Fuji release), but he knows how to make the D800E sing.  Oh and they all have to card slots

Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,510

As others have said. you were never in the target group for these two cameras. As for action and wldlife photography, Nikon themselves has said that those photographers  shooting fast action is better of with the D5 or the D850.

They are aimed at the people who would otherwise consider switching to the Sony A7X series (maybe except the A9).

You rant is like complaining that, say, the Mercedes C doesn't meet the needs of people driving in the Sahara. But the Mercedes was never meant to be an offroader in the first place.

Just pick the apropiate tool for your job. The Z6 and Z7 are obviously not apropiate tools for you - but maybe for many others. After all there are not that many professional fashion photographers compared to all the numerous enthusiast amateurs.

As for battery life, the hands on reports so far seems to indicate that the real life battery life of the Z cameras is better than the official - admittedly low - count.

As for the one or two card slot, you may have a point - depending on the needs - and this have been heatedly debated on this forum. That said, I have used one slot cameras for 17 years without ever experiencing a card (CF and SD) let me down - FWIW, of course.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Laslo Varadi

LuxLuthor wrote:

Consider the failure rates of the different subsystems of the camera.

If the card has a 1 out of a million chance of failure, and the shutter has a 1 out of 1000 chance of failure (hypothetical) then the odds are having 2 card slots will do you no good at all, right? The proper thing to do is have a second camera body in case the first camera fails, right? And if it is important, why wouldn't you do that?

Did you even look at his gear list?  How many camera bodies does he have?

Everybody complains, but is it based on facts? Does anybody know the failure rates of these subsystems? I would trust the Nikon engineers have thought this through more than everybody commenting on things they don't know about.

Benjamin Kanarek
Re: Take deep breath

SydneyOho wrote:

Calm down.

The Z6 and Z7 clearly are not aimed at pro shooters, but will satisfy many other photogs.

The pro version/s will eventually be available.

A $3400 prosumer camera with the same price tag as a Pro D850???

nuke12
nuke12 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,432

Benjamin,

Your not seeing the replacements for the D500, D850 and D4 yet. They will come but not yet. I think this is Nikon testing the waters. Your also not seeing the f/1.4 primes and f/2.8 zooms yet.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +28 more
Benjamin Kanarek

Laslo Varadi wrote:

Thoughts R Us wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

Benjamin Kanarek wrote:

Allen L wrote:

Exactly. Pro's are usually the last to update and chase the latest tech. Look at the OP; he still uses a Nikon D800e, he didn't upgrade to the D810 or the D850.

There will be a higher end bods in the near future. But given that the OP doesn't upgrade much, will even that prompt an upgrade?

He also shoots with a Fuji X-t2 and X-H1 (recent Fuji release), but he knows how to make the D800E sing. Oh and they all have to card slots

I have 4 x Nikon FF bodies and soon to have a 5th... 2 x D800, D800e, D810 and D850.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads