rx100m6, they are like boomerangs

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650
rx100m6, they are like boomerangs

It's coming back to me like a boomerang, by 9pm today!

Geek squad 3 yr warranty was no longer on sale, so it is 3 yr $249. Amazon has Asurion, 4 yr accidental for $68. so I got a new one from them.

If you don't care about extended warranty, the one I had is at Best Buy for $899. store pickup only. Not a scuff on it.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
tcirillo Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: rx100m6, they are like boomerangs

what a great deal elliott.  welcome back to the VI fold

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,650

there will be no more test shots!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,880

elliottnewcomb wrote:

If you don't care about extended warranty, the one I had is at Best Buy for $899. store pickup only. Not a scuff on it.

Your description of "not a scuff on it" is in direct opposition to Best Buy's general description of the camera being in fair condition. Something doesn't add up. OTOH, since it's only available in the store, any potential buyers will get to assess it themselves.

-- hide signature --

Steve

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,516

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Your description of "not a scuff on it" is in direct opposition to Best Buy's general description of the camera being in fair condition. Something doesn't add up. OTOH, since it's only available in the store, any potential buyers will get to assess it themselves.

I believe that's their standard cover their rear language for used items. Last Christmas I bought a like new RX100 5 for $600 and I believe the sticker said something similar. Not a single mark on it and only a few shots taken.

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Well, you may not have followed this,

1. it was an open box, returned, the box was torn by the buyer because he couldn't figure out how to pull the locking tab out.

Torn box is not in Best Buy's system, so they marked it Satisfactory, $959. Because they had hung up on me 5 times, actually 6, the manager lowered the price to $899. And, the $249. 3yr geek warranty was on sale for $199. and he took another $20. off that, $179. It's back up to $249.

I checked it out, not a scuff on it. I bought it, put a screen protector on it, a felt button on the shutter, a Sony grip, and tested the crap out of it.

I removed everything, including any adhesive residue: as the song says, 'And I'm Telling You', it has not a mark or scuff on it. (unless geek squad did something while checking it back in, highly unlikely).

Now, because the price was $899. they listed it as Fair. Luckily for someone, it is in perfect condition.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,880

elliottnewcomb wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Well, you may not have followed this,

1. it was an open box, returned, the box was torn by the buyer because he couldn't figure out how to pull the locking tab out.

Torn box is not in Best Buy's system, so they marked it Satisfactory, $959. Because they had hung up on me 5 times, actually 6, the manager lowered the price to $899. And, the $249. 3yr geek warranty was on sale for $199. and he took another $20. off that, $179. It's back up to $249.

I checked it out, not a scuff on it. I bought it, put a screen protector on it, a felt button on the shutter, a Sony grip, and tested the crap out of it.

I removed everything, including any adhesive residue: as the song says, 'And I'm Telling You', it has not a mark or scuff on it. (unless geek squad did something while checking it back in, highly unlikely).

Now, because the price was $899. they listed it as Fair. Luckily for someone, it is in perfect condition.

All of that taken into consideration, I'm surprised they aren't taking advantage of the situation and marking it as "satisfactory" as it only shows damage to the box. Kudos to Best Buy for not trying to make another 60 bucks or so.

-- hide signature --

Steve

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

PhilDunn wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I believe that's their standard cover their rear language for used items. Last Christmas I bought a like new RX100 5 for $600 and I believe the sticker said something similar. Not a single mark on it and only a few shots taken.

I can understand that as I would never describe my cameras when I sell them on eBay as being in mint condition as you are asking for trouble. You get better feedback also in ratings when the buyer is surprised at the condition.

I sell very old, some 50-60 years old, sometimes rare, Reel to Reel music tapes on eBay.

I work very hard, first a farewell listen, then both photos and descriptions to promote them and limit any potential buyer's disappointment. Chain stores cannot do that.

I rely on my unconditional return policy to support items I sell. Returns accepted is fundamental in my buying decision, and in the case of this particular camera, anyone not knowing it's history still has 14 days to return it, no questions asked.

Here is an example of a great Joan Sutherland tape, with problems, that I not only offer return, I offer to pay return shipping because I firmly believe any buyer will keep it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132740998901?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

SPECIFIC NOTES:
IDIOT! Anyone who loves Joan and doesn't buy this is an IDIOT! IMHO, (smiley face)
I am so sure you will keep it, I will pay return shipping if you return it (usa only).
Someone who wants it ought to have it, that's the thing.
Great Sounding Joan if you love her INCREDIBLE VOICE, reel is fully loaded.
London Symphony Orch, Richard Bonynge conducting.
Box has yellow tape on edge, red X on face, surprisingly strong but rough looking Plastic Reel: top edge is slightly warped, solved by Included Shim, see photos
Forget the problems, her voice simply ASTOUNDS YOU

GENERAL NOTES:
TAPES: Sound Excellent. each given a farewell listen prior to listing*.
BOXES: conditions vary, few very good, see photos
14 Day Returns: Buy with Confidence: you will receive Very Good Tapes, ready to play.
Leaders for stress free start. Metallic strips for auto reverse.
Wound at play speed for proper stress free storage
Tape End secured to prevent un-spooling during storage
No splices exist except the leaders. Splicing Equipment Not Included
Foam 'peanuts' inside the box prevent reel movement/box damage during shipping

SHIPPING: (multiple items: I will send a single invoice with reduced shipping costs)
US Mainland: One Tape $3.50. Add $1.00 for each additional tape. Media Mail
Canada: One or Two Tapes $18. Package RateThree or Four Tapes, $28. Package Rate, cannot exceed 4 lbs (unlikely).
Anywhere Else (that the USPS delivers to):One or Two Tapes $28. Package RateThree or Four Tapes $38. Package Rate, cannot exceed 4 lbs (unlikely).

Buyer pays any import fees, etc. required
Thanks for looking, Uncle Win
*System: Teac X2000R Cobalt Heads; Pair of Fisher Mono Tube Amps, 1956Fisher/Electrovoice 4 Way Speakers: 3 Horns and 15" Woofers, 1956.

No way retail can do that.

If I was selling this camera used, I would support my statements with photos, offer 14 day return. As your doubts suggest, words are not enough to most people.

As I said;, if I didn't care about extended warranty, given Best Buy's 14 day return policy, I would send anybody I know over to buy it for me, mail it to me, and return it to my local Best Buy if not completely happy. Forget problems, you might just decide, perfect or not, it is not for you.

I think I will take a copy of my sales receipt to the camera department, and give them permission to give a copy to any buyer, so they can get the Sony warranty. That would make a difference for me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

B Shepard Forum Member • Posts: 85

Interesting, what made you decide to pick up another Mark VI, Elliott?

D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

Elliott I misread your title. I thought you had another new one! RX100-6

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,828

elliottnewcomb wrote:

there will be no more test shots!

I don't believe that for a secondĀ 

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,988

B Shepard wrote:

Maybe the battery got exhausted. Must be nice to be able to return an RX100M6 every time the battery runs low! Maybe Sony will include a battery charger in its next model...

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more

I do, arrived yesterday,

all set up except 'my menu'. thank me for my written notes, otherwise, with my lousy memory, OMG. I may get this sucker set up with only 1 battery.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Karl Scharf wrote:

B Shepard wrote:

Maybe the battery got exhausted. Must be nice to be able to return an RX100M6 every time the battery runs low! Maybe Sony will include a battery charger in its next model...

Funny, and, with my prior notes, I may get it set up with only 1 battery.

I do have a few old batteries that run out fast. Any way to purposely test them, so I can toss the bad ones?  4 RX's, and several charger/battery kits, I have about 10 batteries, some used hard since late 2012.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I do, arrived yesterday,

all set up except 'my menu'. thank me for my written notes, otherwise, with my lousy memory, OMG. I may get this sucker set up with only 1 battery.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear it.

I bought my RX100-2 as an open-box to save money.

I bought my evf used, haggled on the price, then learned the owner was a church Minister, and regretted it!

It'll take me a while to decide my next camera.  I'm in shock at the prices, though I shouldn't be.

You have helped me so much explaining settings on my RX100-2.  Alternating between the RX100-2 and a6000 my regret is that the menus are so different. I prefer the longer zoom lens, and haven't been so tempted until the RX100-6 came along. Somehow this all works, and I haven't had to drag out my D300S grip and lenses.

I'm 71 and spending photo money is a real issue for me.

I'm grateful for the gear I have.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

Batteries. Oh my.

High temperature is bad for them.

Cold temperature they lose capacity.

My take: if the batteries run out too fast, they're done. Thank heaven they're not ni-cads.

I don't think you canbring them back to life. two stories...my experience.

(I bought work UHF transceivers and walky talkies years ago. The users killed all the walky talkies' batteries very quickly. NiCads. Every time they used the radios, they put them in the charging stand, because it was handy.

I had to replace all the explosion proof batteries.

Then I had to instruct the users to run the batteries almost flat before recharging them. Memory effect of niCads.

Basic setup changed. Base batteries, marked and identified. Back-up batteries, marked and identified. And I bought a smart charger that would cycle the batteries and kill the "memory" of the used niCads.)

(I also had to air-condition the battery storage rooms for the Communication Centres of our Provincial Police force, because high temperatures had shorted the battery life too much.) Lead acid batteries.

I would mark all my batteries with a - sign and use each one.  If it lasted long enough I'd take it out of the camera and change the - to a +

Just to keep track of the good uns and the bad uns.  Then I'd pitch the bad uns.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,828

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

B Shepard wrote:

I do have a few old batteries that run out fast. Any way to purposely test them, so I can toss the bad ones? 4 RX's, and several charger/battery kits, I have about 10 batteries, some used hard since late 2012.

Buy a charger that can discharge and discharge them before charging them

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Bill Borne wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Karl Scharf wrote:

B Shepard wrote:

I do have a few old batteries that run out fast. Any way to purposely test them, so I can toss the bad ones? 4 RX's, and several charger/battery kits, I have about 10 batteries, some used hard since late 2012.

Buy a charger that can discharge and discharge them before charging them

Bill are these available for our little Sony batteries? I appreciate your post.

(I did this with UHF radio equipment years ago; I posted a much-too-long description )

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61572110

thanks,

seeing others photos, posting mine as examples for answers, especially the 'no-bend nice bokeh' quality made me sleepless.

and: 10mp SZ 280mm; 5mp SZ 400mm are sooo good, keepers, , that gives me 24-400mm in my pants pocket or belt case.

m1 broken, in my shop for eventual attack, but not hopeful

m3 now in the car door (converted back to MagFilter ring, always available

spare Oly Stylus 1 with tele 1.7x 510mm/2x 1020mm in the trunk. (no CPL with tele)

m6 in arms reach, a belt case with 2 spare batteries, and MagFilter CPL in a pocket.

Original Oly in arms reach, 300/2X600mm in case with extension tube for CPL.

RX1r with CPL in arms reach.

I thought I had one screen protector left. Where? just ordered 3 screen protectors for $7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0785NPSNF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a cheap plastic film on LCD till the glass one comes.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads