Z6/Z7 Battery Life - 310-330 Shots, 10-15 Min Recording Locked

Started Aug 23, 2018 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
DDBazooka Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Z6/Z7 Battery Life - 310-330 Shots, 10-15 Min Recording

The Z6/Z7 looks fantastic, both spec and pricing wise but with two reservations.

Single card slot - I'd assume it would be a problem for the pros, but it's not a big deal to an enthusiast like me.

What I think is a bigger problem is the Nikon spec page shows the Z6 will get 310 shots per battery, and the Z7 will get 330. Both will get 10-15 minute of recording time. That I do care about.

What do you guys think? No biggie swapping batteries or a deal breaker?

DDBazooka's gear list:DDBazooka's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
alekt449 Regular Member • Posts: 283
Re: Z6/Z7 Battery Life - 310-330 Shots, 10-15 Min Recording

From the DP firste impressions.
The Z 7's CIPA rating is a middling 330 shots per charge, but as usual this is likely to prove extremely conservative in normal use. On a recent video shoot, we managed more than 1600 images and several 4K video clips on the Z 7 with a single EN-EL15b before the battery started blinking red, so it'll depend to a large extent on how you shoot.
And moreover it uses the same DSLR batteries found in te most recent nikons, so you might have few already.

Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 4,942

alekt449 wrote:

From the DP firste impressions.
The Z 7's CIPA rating is a middling 330 shots per charge, but as usual this is likely to prove extremely conservative in normal use. On a recent video shoot, we managed more than 1600 images and several 4K video clips on the Z 7 with a single EN-EL15b before the battery started blinking red, so it'll depend to a large extent on how you shoot.

1600 shots in AF-S or AF-C, or a mix or everything including 4K video?  1600 is not bad at all.  Without doing video the battery could probably give you 2000 photos in AF-S, which is what I estimated.  If that is the case then for sure close to 2000 photos is really good.

And moreover it uses the same DSLR batteries found in te most recent nikons, so you might have few already.

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,636

DDBazooka wrote:

The Z6/Z7 looks fantastic, both spec and pricing wise but with two reservations.

Single card slot - I'd assume it would be a problem for the pros, but it's not a big deal to an enthusiast like me.

Agree. Even even amongst some pros, some do not consider this a disadvantage. I'm sure they'll do a dual card slot in the mark ii.

What I think is a bigger problem is the Nikon spec page shows the Z6 will get 310 shots per battery, and the Z7 will get 330. Both will get 10-15 minute of recording time. That I do care about.

I would take that with a grain of salt. CIPA protocols are a bit demanding and may not reflect real world use. the Sony a7-3 is rated at around 750. But experience in the field have shown they last for 4,000-6,000 shots. Even if we get 2,000 shots, that's not going to be bad. As for video, not sure. We can get 2.5-3 hours with the sony fz100.

I am more concerned with other things like IBIS performance. Or the limitations with using F mount/adapted lenses. And I don't like the 12fps but no AF tracking. Those 2 function buttons near the mount and grip are going to cause a lot of grief for many. I am sure they are going to be hard to press or use. There's more, but for a first effort, barring major bugs, this is a good first try. Of course, the proof is in the using. So we'll wait for that to see what the caveats are.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,225

Between short battery life and no grip option and the crippled FPS no interest from me, is 3 strikes and no interest for me.

To this day the high frame rate Sony and silent ability makes me think everytime I take the D5 out and shoot it at CH.     If I wasn't so attached to the Nikon ergo and my 200F2 I'd have moved to Sony and carry extra batteries

As wonderful as the Nikon Zs might be the Sony still has the edge IMHO.

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D5 +16 more
Sergey_Green
Sergey_Green Forum Pro • Posts: 12,051

DDBazooka wrote:

You can carry several batteries with you, I don't think it is really the problem as some say it is. My biggest concern would be the lenses, speed and the responsiveness of the camera first, and then whatever drawbacks it may have would only count as second.

-- hide signature --

- sergey

IWalk New Member • Posts: 1

I think this camera is still hard for the enthusiast to use. If you are a Nikon shooter and want to upgrade you are dropping $2,000 or $3,400 on a camera body. Then to be able to fit all your old Nikon F lenses, you'd have to buy an adapter for several hundred dollars.

Then on top of that the card slot, though the single slot won't hurt the hobby photographer, it will hurt their wallet. The Z6 and Z7 both have an XQD slots. So cards for this camera are also pricey. It is sad that they didn't opt to put in an SD card reader slot and a XQD slot. Though we are moving to XQD cards in the future, I think Nikon should account for the transition phase. Even Canon cameras had dual slots for CF and SD cards when the transition was happening. Before you even put a lens on the camera you are either spending almost $3,000 or $4,400.

All this, paired with the very low battery life, I don't think I would buy.

Many people know the struggle of having a load of Sony batteries in their pocket for their mirrorless cameras, imagine having even more in your pocket at all times.

qtu Regular Member • Posts: 322

The Nikon website has changed to video recording time to 85 minutes.

qtu's gear list:qtu's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 IV Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon Df
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,579
Wrong forum
-- hide signature --

Once upon a time, a girl with moonlight in her eyes

MIKE1111 Contributing Member • Posts: 750

1500 shots

MIKE1111's gear list:MIKE1111's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Agree

IWalk wrote:

I think this camera is still hard for the enthusiast to use. If you are a Nikon shooter and want to upgrade you are dropping $2,000 or $3,400 on a camera body. Then to be able to fit all your old Nikon F lenses, you'd have to buy an adapter for several hundred dollars.

I don't know

Then on top of that the card slot, though the single slot won't hurt the hobby photographer, it will hurt their wallet. The Z6 and Z7 both have an XQD slots. So cards for this camera are also pricey. It is sad that they didn't opt to put in an SD card reader slot and a XQD slot. Though we are moving to XQD cards in the future, I think Nikon should account for the transition phase. Even Canon cameras had dual slots for CF and SD cards when the transition was happening. Before you even put a lens on the camera you are either spending almost $3,000 or $4,400.

I think the use of thte XQD was a mistake. The SD Express was already announced and looming. I would have gone for that. Or at least UHS-2 for the interim. AFter all, this is a version 1 product. Reserve the SDExp card for the mark 2 in 2-3 year's time.

But even with the XQD cards, it is still ironic that the buffer is shallow. Early reports indicate only 22 frames shots. Maybe this will change once the production body is out. But I doubt it. Maybe Nikon was hoping a fast saving slot will offset the shallow buffer?

All this, paired with the very low battery life, I don't think I would buy.

Another sore point. Though again, I would still wait for actual reports on the true count of shots and video. I still think 1,500-2,000 shots is possible. I think for most, this number is good enough. The lower shot count is due to 2 reasons. The high rez EVF, and the use of LCD vs optical shooting only with the D850.

Many people know the struggle of having a load of Sony batteries in their pocket for their mirrorless cameras, imagine having even more in your pocket at all times.

I've said it before, once Canikon goes serious MILC, the same invectives and criticism they have been throwing at Sony for years will now be their own. Even the difficult menu, the added options will likely overwhelm them.

Once the reviews come in, the weaknesses and lack attention to detail will haunt these cameras. It's partly a version 1 blues. But partly, I think, it's because, they are still trying to protect their DSLR lines. I think this is a serious mistake. It's not just sending the wrong signals, it is effectively countering your own thrust,

On the positive side, for all its faults, these cameras are solid enough for a first effort.

The problem with them though is - it won't really sway many to switch back.For one, they've already alienated the wedding/events shooters. These people are the most mobile in terms of upgrading equipment. The reason why Nikon's market share dropped is when the A7-3 and A7R-3 has shown all the features and performance benefits that the DSLRs can't give them. Wedding and event shooters pay for their equipment and any gear that would make a leap in making their lives easier, is fair game, even if it is not their used brand. With no dual card slots, limited buffer, a tentative battery life, no eye-focus, and untested AF-C for moving subjects, plus limited lenses, it's hard to justify switching back if one has the A7-3 or an A7R-3 or A9 now. And as I say often, don't measure the pro market by looking at what the sport/PJ shooters are shooting. They are few and most don't pay for their gear. Look at the wedding/events photographers because they number in the millions all over the world. That's market you want to win over, not the PJ/sport shooter in the pro segment.

Even if one is not a pro, the specs and performance differences is still a big gap. I don't own a NIkon DSLR, but even if this were a Canon brand, I still won't be budged to switch back given what the Z6 or Z7 can do. It still is bogged down by version 1 blues. If Canon will follow this type of release, then I can't see how Nikon's market share or position will improve. And it's not as if Sony will just rest on their laurels. Same with the other MILC brands.

Within the Nikon ranks, I thihnk about 15-20% are die hard OVF/DSLR fans who will never consider any MILC. So they are out of the picture to be swayed for these. The price and cost of switching though within the system or even adding to their lineup. I think people really count the cost of going Nikon MILC, it will be costly. Those adapters aren't going to be cheap and I don't know if 3rd party ones can chime in fast enough or if there is anything they need to program to make them work well. There is also the 3 lens starting lineup, etc.

It won't be cheap even switching within the same camp. And with so many limitations vs the Sony's offering, if one is neutral or wants to get the best for the same amount spent, it won't be in Nikon's camp, regardless of how one cuts and dices it.

But we shall see in the next 3-5 months how this pans out. One thing for certain for me, I am not swayed and couldn't care less how this pans out. I'll just be a spectator all that time watching impartially whatever unfolds.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Tapper123
Tapper123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,907
Recording time may be a typo

I've seen one source report that the correct recording time number is 85 minutes per charge, and that the 10-15 is a typo. We'll see.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +7 more
Re: Recording time may be a typo

Tapper123 wrote:

I've seen one source report that the correct recording time number is 85 minutes per charge, and that the 10-15 is a typo. We'll see.

Or maybe the recording limit per shoot of one continuous segment. That sounds more reasonable. It's hard for me to think that such battery can only go for 15min tops.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,358

caterpillar wrote:

Tapper123 wrote:

Or maybe the recording limit per shoot of one continuous segment. That sounds more reasonable. It's hard for me to think that such battery can only go for 15min tops.

Credible if they stand by the 330 stills rating. Don't forget the camera doesn't have a flash, so that power consumption looks really poor.

The E-M1 battery I think is good for maybe 30-40 minutes of video on a good fully charged one. Yet I can also get maybe 1200 stills in silent mode from a battery if I do it in about an hour and a half. So from this ratio, 10-15 minutes video from one battery on a Z camera doesn't look unbelievable to me.

You might possibly get 1600 shots out of a Z camera if as soon as you turn it on, you keep your finger on the shutter. But who uses their camera like that? It's keeping the sensor on constantly while you're composing or waiting to take shots that really drains mirrorless batteries.

fishy wishy wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

Tapper123 wrote:

Credible if they stand by the 330 stills rating. Don't forget the camera doesn't have a flash, so that power consumption looks really poor.

The E-M1 battery I think is good for maybe 30-40 minutes of video on a good fully charged one. Yet I can also get maybe 1200 stills in silent mode from a battery if I do it in about an hour and a half. So from this ratio, 10-15 minutes video from one battery on a Z camera doesn't look unbelievable to me.

We'll soon get the true score on this. IMO, their processor can be part of the problem. It may eat a lot of power. So with the higher rez EVF. And also the anemic battery. Whatever it is, it's a negative on these cameras.

You might possibly get 1600 shots out of a Z camera if as soon as you turn it on, you keep your finger on the shutter. But who uses their camera like that? It's keeping the sensor on constantly while you're composing or waiting to take shots that really drains mirrorless batteries.

That's probably true. But with the Sony A7-3, I no longer worry about draining my camera even if I have such bad habits. It can last a long time. Whatever it is they are doing, it does not look good.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,901
Thread moved to the correct forum
-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as Moderator

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Amvis New Member • Posts: 1

I am a recent owner of a Nikon Z6. Never had an issue with battery life with my previous Nikon cameras, but I find the battery life in the Z6 is poor.

commiebiker Senior Member • Posts: 2,574

Amvis wrote:

I am a recent owner of a Nikon Z6. Never had an issue with battery life with my previous Nikon cameras, but I find the battery life in the Z6 is poor.

How many shots are you getting?

commiebiker's gear list:commiebiker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Sony a7S Sony a7R II +19 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,901

commiebiker wrote:

Amvis wrote:

How many shots are you getting?

Also which settings for timing to review images etc.. If Amvis does a search in the forum he'll find some good tips about adjustments that will make the battery life adequate.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,432

Amvis wrote:

Amvis,

Battery life with any new camera seems to be poor because users spend so much time checking this and that. When you start using the camera normally the battery will be much better.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads