Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

Started Aug 22, 2018 | Discussions
Tom888 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

Detail from a review on Amazon.com:

... 1. Lens. Fujifilm lens is pure disappointment. Compare to Ricoh GR II, where lens is sharp, really sharp. I never had to use unsharp mask or anything else. Ricoh - Macro mode, normal mode, 2.8, 3.2 anything - it is sharp, XF10 it is so soft, like cheap zoom lens wide open. Even considering 24M vs 16M it is still way too soft for my taste. Of course, if you never use proper primes, most likely you would not notice for me it is critical deal breaker...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2VFVK2OOGXC9Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07FNW5QPD

Is the Fuji lens really so soft over the Ricoh GR?

KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

Tom888 wrote:

Detail from a review on Amazon.com:

... 1. Lens. Fujifilm lens is pure disappointment. Compare to Ricoh GR II, where lens is sharp, really sharp. I never had to use unsharp mask or anything else. Ricoh - Macro mode, normal mode, 2.8, 3.2 anything - it is sharp, XF10 it is so soft, like cheap zoom lens wide open. Even considering 24M vs 16M it is still way too soft for my taste. Of course, if you never use proper primes, most likely you would not notice for me it is critical deal breaker...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2VFVK2OOGXC9Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07FNW5QPD

Is the Fuji lens really so soft over the Ricoh GR?

I have not used the Ricoh GR, so can't compare. Please, somebody do a proper comparison and not just take an Amazon customer's opinion! DPR should do a proper comparison before it publishes such unverified statements.

 KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,909
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

KKJohn wrote:

Tom888 wrote:

Detail from a review on Amazon.com:

... 1. Lens. Fujifilm lens is pure disappointment. Compare to Ricoh GR II, where lens is sharp, really sharp. I never had to use unsharp mask or anything else. Ricoh - Macro mode, normal mode, 2.8, 3.2 anything - it is sharp, XF10 it is so soft, like cheap zoom lens wide open. Even considering 24M vs 16M it is still way too soft for my taste. Of course, if you never use proper primes, most likely you would not notice for me it is critical deal breaker...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R2VFVK2OOGXC9Q/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07FNW5QPD

Is the Fuji lens really so soft over the Ricoh GR?

I have not used the Ricoh GR, so can't compare. Please, somebody do a proper comparison and not just take an Amazon customer's opinion! DPR should do a proper comparison before it publishes such unverified statements.

I've been using the XF10 for a few days.  I plan to spend time with both it and my XP-2 to compare.  So far I haven't had strong feelings about the camera in either direction.  It doesn't disappoint nor has it "wowed" me.  Granted my use has been sporadic and unplanned.  The lens appears to be sharp enough though.

A bigger question to me is if I'll get comfortable with the touch-screen adjustments. My feeling is that acceptance of this concept will be what determines Fuji success with the camera.

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

 dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
pharles
pharles Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback
1

Thanks for the thorough review - DPReview should hire you.

I intend to use this camera almost 100% for street photography as a second camera. Snapshot mode is the only one I'm interested. I'll be using the XF10 as a wide angle solution when the main camera around my neck has a standard lens on it. When I walk into a scene where the standard lens won't cover it, I'll reach for the XF10.
Did you find any downsides to snapshot mode? Like you, I'll set on the function button to toggle it. I like the idea that it remains on after the camera has been through a power off/on cycle.
Also, how's the wake from sleep? Usually I have power management off and carry spare batteries, but for this one, I'll probably have power management set to the shortest increment as the camera will be in a belt pouch until needed. The camera has to respond when I pull it out.
My alternative is wait for a used X70 to show up.

-- hide signature --
 pharles's gear list:pharles's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +13 more
Petak
Petak Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

I've had the opportunity to play for a few minutes (the battery died) with the XF10 in store today. It feels somewhat underwhelming, plasticky and cheap. I realise it's at the lowest end of Fiji X cameras but it rattles, for god's sake! Next to it the Canon EOS M100 that I also tried feels premium and substantial.

OP soupnazi81 Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback
2

I`m now back from a 2 week trip to Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick) where I brought my new Fuji XF10 and my wife brought her Fuji XT100. I purposely bought the XF10 for this trip since I wanted to travel a little bit lighter than my Sony A6000 with older 18-55mm lens. This was the true stress test for the camera. Overall, it did pretty well with some minor annoyances which weren`t deal breakers as long as you worked around them. This review may seem negative but I’m very particular about my cameras….there is never a perfect camera for all occasions.

Size/comfort/build quality
It is just a little big larger than a point and shoot camera. Very unobtrusive and great for taking candid shots in museums, libraries, restaurants, and other quiet places. I love the front rounded grip and is conforms to your hand and the rear has a pronounced grippy rubber thumb rest. Much better to hold than my wife’s XT100. The front “leather” had a decent amount of grip for my fingers as well. I mostly kept the camera in my small Megagear leather case which was hung across my chest and took out the camera when needed. Or I would hold the camera in hand while walking and the odd occasion, I would let it dangle around by the wrist strap. It would have been nice if the camera had dual mounting eyelets instead of single one for a neck strap. I suppose it would be possible to use a neck strap with a single eyelet but it the camera would spin around on your neck. The body itself seems to made of a metal composite and feels cool to the touch. Seems solidly built and doesn't seem to be cheap plastic. Dials are all metal.

Performance
The camera turns on relatively fast with single power on/off button. It would have been nice if it was a toggle switch like the XT100 so you instantly know if the camera is on or off. On the odd occasion, I thought I was turning the camera on when it was already on and it would power off. I never accidently power the camera by brushing the button by mistake. Outdoors during the day, the autofocus was decently snappy and wouldn’t miss too many shots. (estimate 95% accuracy) It’s slightly slower than the XT100. I only use AF-S with mostly center zone focusing, face detection enabled, priority set to shutter release not focus, performance mode on. At indoor and night light levels, autofocus would hunt and hunt (could hear the lens motor focus rack focus far, then close) or take a shot that wasn’t in focus even when it said it was. I was only taking pictures of my daughter eating in her high chair (not much movement) but focus accuracy was only about 70%. In night time I was trying to take a picture of our rental car 5 feet away if AF light enabled and it took 5 tries to get a decent shot in focus…it would hunt and hunt, and couldn’t lock focus. You would think that a prime wide angle lens couldn’t have too much depth of field to deal with and would focus faster. Perhaps it’s the older focus motor from the X70 lens? When using the camera with face detection and trying to take a selfie, it will often miss focus and focus on the background. Not a good selfie camera. I also didn’t trust the camera on some important occasions to take pictures of people so used my wife’s XT100 which was better. (my Sony A6000 is still much better at AF)

In general day to day use, the general operation was fast enough. Some pixalization when reviewing and moving between photos. I usually used 3FPS to take multiple shots in low light to prevent blurry shots due to movement with auto ISO up to 6400 with a preferred shutter speed of 1/125 in AV mode at F2.8 . In day light I couldn’t use F2.8 since the leaf shutter won’t go any higher than 1/1000 at F2.8 and there is no neutral density filter. The leaf shutter is supposed to go up to 1/4000 but aperture has to be stopped down. There is an electronic shutter that goes up to 1/16000 but the sensor readout is quite slow so any movement will lead to some distortion/blur. I didn’t use electronic shutter at all after noticing some of my shots at 1/2000 were blurry. I would often shoot at F2.8 indoors forget to stop the aperture down outside and would get overexposed shots due to the 1/1000 max shutter. I often had to adjust the aperture to 5.6 or 7.1 which allowed the leaf shutter to have a max 1/2000 shutter speed and not be overexposed. Or I would use shutter priority mode outside with a shutter of F5.6 or F7.1 for quick shots. My exposure compensation is set to -0.3 EV since the camera tends to overexpose more so than the XT100 which is set to neutral EV.

Snapshot mode
Snapshot mode to lock focus at 2Meters or 5Meters was pretty handy for shooting outside airplane/car windows for faster response and preventing the camera from focusing on the window. Keep in mind that 2M puts aperture at F8 and 5M puts aperture at F5.6, so not the best for low light situations and more for outdoor use. When walking about, I would sometimes use snapshot 5M with a 1/2000 to 1/2500 shutter speed and most shots were in focus.

Wifi
Wifi would sometimes disconnect when transferring photos from camera to my Samsung S7 Edge phone running Android 8.0. It will occur when selecting photos via the phone from the camera or during the transfer process. This would be annoying if I was selecting 50+ photos, then the camera would disconnect, and then I would have to select them or during the transfer process it would disconnect and then I would have to select the photos and start the transfer again. Transferring the original resolution jpg photos did take some time…about 2-5 seconds per photo so it was a lengthy process. Both the XF10 and XT100 had similar disconnect issues and transferring speeds. (this occurs when camera powersave mode is disabled or set to 5mins) My Sony A6000 transfers much faster at 1 second per photo and doesn’t typically disconnect from my phone.

Controls
The rear touch screen is both a blessing and sometimes an annoyance. It’s great to be able to pinch to zoom and change focus points but on many occasions the soft touchscreen buttons for focus would be accidently pressed which lead AF set to MF mode or the focus point would be set to the bottom corner. I liked touchscreen functionality, so I left the touchscreen it enabled. Would be nice to be able to disable the touchscreen buttons or move them. The 4 customizable swipe directions worked pretty well often used functions such as turning on Wifi or adjusting flash compensation.

I didn’t use the front control ring around the lense too often at its default setting which changes upon shooting mode and there aren’t many functions that it can be set to. (mostly used for film simulations) Would have been nice to have clicks to the ring instead of it being free spinning. The ring around the shutter button was used quite often to adjust aperture/shutter/ and to scroll between pictures…very good tactile feedback. The thumb dial is set to EV and worked well but I sometimes used it in error to try to change aperture/shutter….need to work on muscle memory and this can’t be customized. All dials appear to be machined metal and have good tactile feel and aren`t too easy/difficult to turn. Having direct access to adjust autofocus which the rear joystick was nice but I find I didn’t have to use it too often since I use center point. I find the joystick is a little cheap when adjusting directions. It needs more movement and the joystick tip is a bit too stiff/smooth….would be better with a rubber tip and longer throws/movement. I’m not crazy about how it feels for navigating the menu or scrolling between photos.

One glaring issue I had was when deleting photos. If you click the delete button, you have the option to delete ``frame/select frames/all frames”. I have accidentally clicked ‘all frames’ by accident when using the cheap joystick. You only have one more confirmation screen to click ok/cancel and before ALL your photos are deleted from the memory card. I immediately just turn the camera off since ok/cancel buttons are right next to each other and I don’t want to make a mistake. I hate this and you shouldn’t be able to delete all you photos so easily from the delete button. It should be buried in the menu next to the ‘format card’ option. Same issue with Fuji XT100.

Flash
Using flash with a leaf shutter is great since you aren’t tied down to a slow 1/120 shutter speed and can sync at higher speeds like 1/1000-1/4000 for fill flash outdoors. The only caveat is you can’t be in 3FPS or 6FPS mode, you have to be at single shot to be able to use the flash. I doesn’t tell you this and the flash just doesn’t fire even if it is enabled. I often use 3FPS natively to take multiple shots to avoid blur or catch the action. Having to switch single shot mode takes time and has caused me to missed shots. My Sony A6000 will let me use flash in burst modes, albeit at longer times to recharge the flash in between shots which is fine.

Image quality/lens
I mostly use Velvia film simulation in jpeg and didn’t have time to post process photos before posting on social media. Out of camera, the jpeg’s are vibrant with natural skin tones and avoids the yellow/green tinge of my Sony A6000. I love Fuji’s color science compared to Sony and less post processing is needed. I shoot up to ISO6400 and it’s pretty clean in low light. I would say it’s a little cleaner at 6400 compared to my Sony A6000 and there is less color shift. Underexposed shots/shadows have a lot of leeway and can be brought up quite well in Lightroom. Highlights like skies can be clipped at default EV settings very easily and can’t be recovered and I tend to underexpose by default. It’s very easy to overexpose if you don’t watch for the F2.8 max shutter speed of 1/1000 and stop down aperture.

At F2.8, the lens is decently sharp in the center and in the corners, it’s a little soft. I don’t tend to pixel peep or shoot with items in corners so it doesn’t really matter to me. I find stopping down to F7.1 doesn’t have much effect on sharpness and just adjusts depth of field. When shooting closeup subjects such as food, I would take a few shots since autofocus would sometimes choose the wrong point to focus (even when using center point) and to combat motion blur from handshake due to lack of image stabilization. The bokeh for ‘macro’ shots is decently creamy at F2.8 . At F2.8 for closeup portrait shots, the bokeh isn’t too bad. The lens extends slightly when turning on/focusing (more so for macro shots) and a few times I had turned on the camera while trying to take off the lens cap which gave an error “turn off camera and turn back on” since I had obstructed the lens from extending. Due to a lack of a lens hood or accessories, there is a little bit less contrast when shooting towards the sun. 18.5mm for some reason doesn’t seem to be as wide as 18mm on my Sony A6000 and I’m not sure how big of a difference the 0.5mm makes on the wide end but it seemed like I couldn’t fit as much in the frame as usual. The digital teleconverter at 35mm isn’t too bad, at 50mm it does like a little pixalated…no worse/better than cropping in Lightroom. The 24MP files show a lot of detail and they crop quite well and hold onto fine details. Quite impressed.

I really didn’t not like using a lens cap as it slowed down the shooting process and I usually use UV filters on all my cameras without a lens cap. The front lens thread appears to be 18mm but the smallest UV filter I’ve seen is 19mm and I don’t know if the front lens threads are actually full screw in threads. I have tried a stick on UV filter but the area around the lens doesn’t have a flat surface for adhesive.

I didn’t use the camera to record any video since my Samsung S7 has much better AF, image quality, and image stabilization when recording 1080P. Also, there is no direct record button for video and there isn`t a video mode on the mode dial…you have to go to drive mode, then go to video, which is an extra step.

Battery life
Battery life is quoted at 330 shots and I was able to get through the day with 500-700+ shots with some chimping to delete duplicates. Never had to use the spare battery I had with me. Charging a fully depleted battery in camera is about 4 hours which is quite a bit slower than the XT100. It is nice use microusb charging when travelling so less adapters need to be brought along. I usually set power management set to 5 mins and turn off the camera in between shots.

Improvements
I really missed having a selfie screen as it would have been handy for selfie shots and for some discreet shooting. Using a 18mm wide angle lens can be limiting and I found many of my shots looked just like ‘snapshots” from a point and shoot but with better dynamic range. I’m fine with this as I didn’t have time for proper composition as we were rushing around with my infant daughter. It would have been nice to have some optical zoom capability in a compact pancake form. The lack of image stabilization surprisingly wasn’t too bad on wide angle but it would have been nice in low light shots. The joystick could be improved to have better tactile feel/grip. The main thing that drove me nuts was slow/inaccurate autofocus in dimly light places/night. This has to be improved to be better than a point and shoot from the year 2000….it’s 2018!

Summary
Overall, the XF10 is an eccentric camera which not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you need a small camera for travel with a fixed lens, apsc sensor, 3 control dials, and good in low light, this may be the camera for you. If you do any vlogging, take selfie pictures, require zoom, or take pictures of fast moving subjects, this camera isn’t for you. At $650CAN, it’s a good alternative to the expensive Sony RX100 series line with only 1” sensors. Overall, I’d give the camera a 7/10. Would I purchase it again? Yes, it's a nice vacation camera with better quality than my phone in a small size. A revision with better autofocus, image stabilisation, zoom lens, more customizable buttons, and selfie screen, would be a welcome addition.

 soupnazi81's gear list:soupnazi81's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N NEX-5T Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-T100
pharles
pharles Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

Thanks for that in-depth review.

I intend to use the XF10 as a second camera for street photography.

The towns and cities of southern Ontario are my stomping grounds and their streets usually don't have the pedestrian foot traffic of a downtown Toronto. As a consequence, I find the wide angle lens on my X100T sometimes puts me at a disadvantage.

My sight lines on these streets are quite far, so when using a wide angle I have to rush toward the scene and that rushing often upsets the moment. I'm better off shooting these scenes with a 40mm or 50mm lens.

Sometimes though I come across a cluster of people and then my 40mm is too long. As an example, on Ottawa St in Hamilton, I turned a corner to find some really interesting people waiting for a bus. With my longer lens on, I was cutting off heads and backing up into the street to get shots.

The plan is to have the XF10 in a pouch on my belt. When I come across a cluster of people, I pull out the XF10. For this to work, power management has to work as I'll be turning the camera on once when the session starts and off at the end of it.

Any experience with problems having the camera wake up?

-- hide signature --
 pharles's gear list:pharles's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +13 more
morepix
morepix Veteran Member • Posts: 9,715
Re: Fuji XF10 - versus Ricoh GR -- my experience
2

After a very few weeks, I'm thinking I'll sell my XF10 to KEH. I took it and my Ricoh GR along on a street photography workshop last weekend, and my GR did a much better job for me. That's probably partly because of my long familiarity with the GR, plus the images with the GR were appreciably sharper. The only thing I'll miss by disposing of the Fuji is ISO 6400.

David
pbase.com/morepix

 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 VA Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III
OP soupnazi81 Regular Member • Posts: 205
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

pharles wrote:

Thanks for that in-depth review.

I intend to use the XF10 as a second camera for street photography.

The towns and cities of southern Ontario are my stomping grounds and their streets usually don't have the pedestrian foot traffic of a downtown Toronto. As a consequence, I find the wide angle lens on my X100T sometimes puts me at a disadvantage.

My sight lines on these streets are quite far, so when using a wide angle I have to rush toward the scene and that rushing often upsets the moment. I'm better off shooting these scenes with a 40mm or 50mm lens.

Sometimes though I come across a cluster of people and then my 40mm is too long. As an example, on Ottawa St in Hamilton, I turned a corner to find some really interesting people waiting for a bus. With my longer lens on, I was cutting off heads and backing up into the street to get shots.

The plan is to have the XF10 in a pouch on my belt. When I come across a cluster of people, I pull out the XF10. For this to work, power management has to work as I'll be turning the camera on once when the session starts and off at the end of it.

Any experience with problems having the camera wake up?

No problem. Just did a quick test. Set powersaving mode to 2 minutes. I always have 'performance mode' enabled which is supposed to help with response timse. I let the camera go to sleep twice and did a quick stopwatch timing.

-Half press shutter to wakeup: Camera woken up after 1.5 seconds
-Press shutter to focus and take picture: Additional 1.5 seconds (normal operation)
-So from wakeup to completion of one shot: 3 seconds total. I'm sure if you have 'snapshot' mode used, it will be even faster since the camera doesn't need to focus at all.

Overall seems quite responsive after waking up for me. Typically I power off my camera in between shots to save battery life and powering on the camera from 'off' also only takes 1.5 seconds. It's about the same as waking the camera up from 'sleep.'

On an unrelated topic, I found a better way to transfer photos from the camera to my phone wirelessly. Typically, I'll start the "wifi connection" on the Fuji camera, then start Fuji app on phone, connect, then 'browse' the camera photos, put a checkbox on each one i want to transfer, and then start the transfer. (all done on phone) Problem is, if you use magnified view to view the pictures, it's slow to go between picture to picture, so I use the overview view so you only can see a very small thumbnail of the photo and I transfer multiple photos which look similar. The other problem is the phone app randomly disconnects from camera during the selection or the transfer process, so you have to start again from scratch which is very annoying and time consuming. (only remembers what you transferred but not the ones you marked for transfer)

What I do now is on the camera, I go to playback mode, settings, then "image transfer order", "select frames", and then I view the pictures on the camera I want to transfer and "mark them for transfer". When shutting off the camera, it will say "images will be transferred and then camera will shutdown automatically". Then I go to phone and launch Fujifilm app and the images will start transferring. This is better since I can view the images quicker & on a larger view on camera, and if the image tranfer gets interrupted, it will continue until the picture is transferred since it is 'marked for transfer' on camera. The manual glosses over this and doesn't provide much detail.

 soupnazi81's gear list:soupnazi81's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N NEX-5T Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-T100
KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
transferring images to phone

soupnazi81 wrote:

pharles wrote:

Thanks for that in-depth review.

I intend to use the XF10 as a second camera for street photography.

The towns and cities of southern Ontario are my stomping grounds and their streets usually don't have the pedestrian foot traffic of a downtown Toronto. As a consequence, I find the wide angle lens on my X100T sometimes puts me at a disadvantage.

My sight lines on these streets are quite far, so when using a wide angle I have to rush toward the scene and that rushing often upsets the moment. I'm better off shooting these scenes with a 40mm or 50mm lens.

Sometimes though I come across a cluster of people and then my 40mm is too long. As an example, on Ottawa St in Hamilton, I turned a corner to find some really interesting people waiting for a bus. With my longer lens on, I was cutting off heads and backing up into the street to get shots.

The plan is to have the XF10 in a pouch on my belt. When I come across a cluster of people, I pull out the XF10. For this to work, power management has to work as I'll be turning the camera on once when the session starts and off at the end of it.

Any experience with problems having the camera wake up?

No problem. Just did a quick test. Set powersaving mode to 2 minutes. I always have 'performance mode' enabled which is supposed to help with response timse. I let the camera go to sleep twice and did a quick stopwatch timing.

-Half press shutter to wakeup: Camera woken up after 1.5 seconds
-Press shutter to focus and take picture: Additional 1.5 seconds (normal operation)
-So from wakeup to completion of one shot: 3 seconds total. I'm sure if you have 'snapshot' mode used, it will be even faster since the camera doesn't need to focus at all.

Overall seems quite responsive after waking up for me. Typically I power off my camera in between shots to save battery life and powering on the camera from 'off' also only takes 1.5 seconds. It's about the same as waking the camera up from 'sleep.'

On an unrelated topic, I found a better way to transfer photos from the camera to my phone wirelessly. Typically, I'll start the "wifi connection" on the Fuji camera, then start Fuji app on phone, connect, then 'browse' the camera photos, put a checkbox on each one i want to transfer, and then start the transfer. (all done on phone) Problem is, if you use magnified view to view the pictures, it's slow to go between picture to picture, so I use the overview view so you only can see a very small thumbnail of the photo and I transfer multiple photos which look similar. The other problem is the phone app randomly disconnects from camera during the selection or the transfer process, so you have to start again from scratch which is very annoying and time consuming. (only remembers what you transferred but not the ones you marked for transfer)

What I do now is on the camera, I go to playback mode, settings, then "image transfer order", "select frames", and then I view the pictures on the camera I want to transfer and "mark them for transfer". When shutting off the camera, it will say "images will be transferred and then camera will shutdown automatically". Then I go to phone and launch Fujifilm app and the images will start transferring. This is better since I can view the images quicker & on a larger view on camera, and if the image tranfer gets interrupted, it will continue until the picture is transferred since it is 'marked for transfer' on camera. The manual glosses over this and doesn't provide much detail.

Thanks very much for info re transferring  photos to phone. Being an OF (old fart), I have enough trouble learning to use these new fangled digital cameras. I have been a Nikon user for the past 40 years, until I succumbed to the promise of Fuji. I have been a Fuji user since I got the X10, and progressed thru the XA1 with 35/1.4. and 60mm primes plus the XC kit lenses, then added the XT10, and the X70 and finally the XF10. I shuddered when for my birthday I recently  received  a Samsung phone- not the latest, but still pretty up to date. The camera on it is not that great and will never hope to replace any of my Fuji cameras, but okay to send photos to friends online.

I would love to be able to transfer a few photos from my camera to phone  without having to make a Google album or some such complicated method of sending photos. I don't do Facebook or other social media, but occasionally like to send photos to friends and family. Usually it seems easier to email them through my gmail account, tho am limited as to quantity.

I recently got the XF10 and am having great fun with it. It would be great to use your info  to share my photos as I try valiantly to stay tuned into the 21st Century.

I would also like to be able to transfer some of my photos from my Samsung phone to my computer, but that seems like another bridge too far! I'm sure there is an easy way to do it, but I guess just one small step at a time.

 KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
didge00 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: transferring images to phone

KKJohn wrote:

I would also like to be able to transfer some of my photos from my Samsung phone to my computer, but that seems like another bridge too far! I'm sure there is an easy way to do it, but I guess just one small step at a time.

I sent you a PM with more info about a possible solution.

KKJohn
KKJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,091
Re: transferring images to phone

didge00 wrote:

KKJohn wrote:

I would also like to be able to transfer some of my photos from my Samsung phone to my computer, but that seems like another bridge too far! I'm sure there is an easy way to do it, but I guess just one small step at a time.

I sent you a PM with more info about a possible solution.

Thanks for that. Will give it a try.

 KKJohn's gear list:KKJohn's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +2 more
GreenMe2 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Fuji XF10 - my review and firmware feedback

Some future firmware improvements on the New Fuji XF10 that Ive NOT passed onto Fuji support:

18. Give me flash for film simulation bracketing mode

Some of the (drive-button) bracketing modes are single shot modes: only one picture taken and raw-processed to several jpg pictures. At least bracketings film simulation-, white balance- and iso- are single shots. However it is not possible to enable flash in those modes - why not!

19. Please let me change aperture and adjust +-AE with the top dials in the SnapShot modes and in AF-, AE- and in AF/AE-locked (fn-button pressed) modes. (Also possibility to manually adjust focus in the SnapShot mode and in AF-locked mode would be pro)

20. Snapshot mode to Q-menu is not a possible option - why not.

21. In film simulation bracketing mode it is not possible to use digital zoom with the front lens control ring - why not. Please let me use digital zoom or/and manual focus in every mode with the front control dial.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads