RX10 IV Photographer's Guide

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
sgitlin Regular Member • Posts: 100
RX10 IV Photographer's Guide

I'm just about to buy a Sony RX10 IV (current camera is the Pany FZ1000) and would like to get a useful 'how to' book to go along with it, so that I don't have to keep asking newbie questions on this Forum.

This book by Alexander White seems to get excellent reviews, and I was wondering if anyone on this Forum has any experience with it, and might share their thoughts.

I have already downloaded the WimArys settings, tips and tricks guide.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Stew

sgitlin's gear list:sgitlin's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CaliforniaDave Senior Member • Posts: 1,481
Re: RX10 IV Photographer's Guide

sgitlin wrote:

I'm just about to buy a Sony RX10 IV (current camera is the Pany FZ1000) and would like to get a useful 'how to' book to go along with it, so that I don't have to keep asking newbie questions on this Forum.

This book by Alexander White seems to get excellent reviews, and I was wondering if anyone on this Forum has any experience with it, and might share their thoughts.

Stew

I have the Alexander White book, and I highly recommend it. Gary Friedman has also written a guide, which I have, and I also recommend it. They have different writing styles and approaches, but each thoroughly covers the camera.

Clix Pix
Clix Pix Regular Member • Posts: 363

I have the Alexander White printed paperback book for the RX10 IV, but haven't yet had a chance to sit down with it in one hand and camera in the other..... I also have his earlier one that he did for the Sony RX100 M5, which I had found very useful and helpful for that camera so knew that I would undoubtedly get a lot of benefit from this one for the RX10 IV as well.

I also have Gary Friedman's book for the RX10 IV as well, and it was very helpful to me in my initial setting-up of the camera. I like that one because it is in the computer and I can also put it on my iPad and iPhone for reference if I'm out in the field and have a quick question about something.

Also, yes, Wim Arys' site with tips and tricks was invaluable to me in the beginning!

-- hide signature --

Through the years with Nikon Coolpixes, followed by D70, D200, D2Xs, D300 and D3
Lotsa good glass, with emphasis on macro lenses
PBase supporter, Zenfolio supporter

Clix Pix's gear list:Clix Pix's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-7
OP sgitlin Regular Member • Posts: 100

Thanks guys!  I hadn't seen the Friedman book, and that also looks interesting.   A 677 page book definitely doesn't make the camera seem very self-intuitive

I like the idea that both books are available on Kindle, and can easily be taken with me when shooting.

Stew

Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408

I have Alexander White's book for both the RX10iii and RX10iv. It is an excellent book. I got Gary Friedman's book for the A6000. Both guys do a great job going through all of the menu setting in very clear language.

Both authors do a great job.

You should get a book from one of them. I found the books to be a tremendous help in setting up the camera and understanding the various menu settings.

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more

Thanks Jerry.  Appreciate the input.  It looks like both books are winners.  It is definitely the setting up of the camera that I'm most concerned about.  I think that could make or break the effectiveness of such complex cameras as this one.

Stew

Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408

sgitlin wrote:

Thanks Jerry. Appreciate the input. It looks like both books are winners. It is definitely the setting up of the camera that I'm most concerned about. I think that could make or break the effectiveness of such complex cameras as this one.

Stew

Stew:

Setting up the camera seems daunting, but the books take you item by item through the menus and the explanations offer you enough insight to set it up for your needs.

Menu items like aspect ratio, JPG or RAW or both, direction of the focus and zoom rings and their speed, etc. Typically you set them up once and you generally won't be changing them very often.

Once you go through it once, then you customize the FN menu. There is where you put the stuff you will change very often, like focus area, drive, ISO, metering area, etc. I very rarely ever go back to the main menu. The FN menu has 12 entries that you can select quickly with a button push.

Now there is a really slick page in the RX10iv menu that is not on the RX10iii. It is called "My Menu". Here you can put those menu items that you might want to recall without paging through the whole menu. It basically lets you make your own menu pages (up to 6) with what ever items you select from the main menu. It's your own custom file system.

Both Alwyn and Elliott have posted their menu choices in previous posts and that can be a really good start. A little searching can bring those posts up.

Here's a couple:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61457004

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60501653

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more

Jerry, thanks again.  Great information!

Stew

nigelbb Regular Member • Posts: 480

I like to have a physical book but because Gary Friedman self-publishes through Lulu his book costs an eye watering £138.13 compared to the £24.95 that Alexander White's book costs.

nigelbb's gear list:nigelbb's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +1 more
hwvlover
hwvlover Senior Member • Posts: 3,604

sgitlin wrote:

Stew

As another help guide you might find this guy's YouTube videos on the M4 useful.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

hwvlover's gear list:hwvlover's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Sony RX10 IV

Thanks guys for the additional information.  Much appreciated!

Stew

hwvlover wrote:

sgitlin wrote:

Stew

As another help guide you might find this guy's YouTube videoson the M4 useful.
Regards,
David
Growing old is inevitable; growing up, however, is optional.
And I have opted out.

Thanks for the links to the YouTube videos. It is nice to see the feature being demonstrated.

Stevejd4 Forum Member • Posts: 66

sgitlin wrote:

Thanks guys! I hadn't seen the Friedman book, and that also looks interesting. A 677 page book definitely doesn't make the camera seem very self-intuitive

I like the idea that both books are available on Kindle, and can easily be taken with me when shooting.

Stew

As you will have gathered from the other posters here, this is a oowerful camera with a huge amount of versatility and configureability hence the 677 page manual! To get the best out if it you simply HAVE to set up the fn menu and the other configurable settings to suit your needs and habits; Otherwise you will end up as some others have, saying it's no good - too complicated! Have fun learning your way around it!

I can't claim to know anywhere near as much as I need to yet but I DO know the potential is all there do do anything I might want it to!

Steve

Stevejd4's gear list:Stevejd4's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77

Thanks Steve.  Appreciated the info.  Will definitely take the time to try to get the most I can out of the camera.

Stew

Stevejd4 wrote:

sgitlin wrote:

Thanks guys! I hadn't seen the Friedman book, and that also looks interesting. A 677 page book definitely doesn't make the camera seem very self-intuitive

Stew

As you will have gathered from the other posters here, this is a oowerful camera with a huge amount of versatility and configureability hence the 677 page manual! To get the best out if it you simply HAVE to set up the fn menu and the other configurable settings to suit your needs and habits; Otherwise you will end up as some others have, saying it's no good - too complicated! Have fun learning your way around it!

I can't claim to know anywhere near as much as I need to yet but I DO know the potential is all there do do anything I might want it to!

Steve

I'll add, not only do you need to customize the FN menu, you also need to set up the My Menu, which is not available on earlier versions of the RX10, nor is it available on RX100s prior to the RX100VI. Sony's APS-C mirrorless cameras don't have My Menu yet, but the more recent mirrorless FF models do.

Jayteepix New Member • Posts: 19

nigelbb wrote:

I like to have a physical book but because Gary Friedman self-publishes through Lulu his book costs an eye watering £138.13 compared to the £24.95 that Alexander White's book costs.

I got the B&W version of Gary’s book [about £45] it comes with free colour eBook version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads