EVF for Sports

Started Aug 16, 2018 | Discussions
vegas757 Forum Member • Posts: 53
EVF for Sports

Hello,

I'm so close to moving over to the Sony A7R III. My biggest concern is the evf, which I have never experienced. I shoot a ton of action, including competitive youth hockey (12-18 yr olds). I have heard different things regarding a evf with action, panning, etc. I would like to get some actual user feedback regarding this. What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 3,246
Re: EVF for Sports

hopefully you aren't one of those people who has to use glasses while shooting.

i'd suggest renting an a9, for the best af/evf sports shooting experience.

get one of these oversized eyecups for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J7KKIS/

chimbos_matt
chimbos_matt Regular Member • Posts: 266

I use both the A7RIII and A9 for sports, I came from the Nikon D800 and love the EVF. I have not had any issues with panning, the speed and zero blackout on the A9 is amazing. I also notice the A9 focuses the 100-400 GM a little quicker not as much difference with the 70-200 F2.8. The A7RIII does really well and these difference could only be seen once getting the A9.

Here are a few samples from which you can see the A7RIII does just fine:

-- hide signature --

Matthew

chimbos_matt's gear list:chimbos_matt's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Nikon D2X Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +13 more
Manfred Bachmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,067

chimbos_matt wrote:

I use both the A7RIII and A9 for sports, I came from the Nikon D800 and love the EVF. I have not had any issues with panning, the speed and zero blackout on the A9 is amazing. I also notice the A9 focuses the 100-400 GM a little quicker not as much difference with the 70-200 F2.8. The A7RIII does really well and these difference could only be seen once getting the A9.

Here are a few samples from which you can see the A7RIII does just fine:

Great shots with beautiful colors!

Manfred Bachmann's gear list:Manfred Bachmann's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 312

Moved from Canon 70D to A7riii, and no issues... in fact, I enjoy it more with the additional telemetry overlays. I initially was shooting at "Hi" to avoid the blackout, but found that I prefer "Hi+" and have no issues tracking, even with the minor blackout. My sport of choice is volleyball, but I chose the A7riii because it is my only big rig (I also have a Canon M2) and I wanted it to function as an all-arounder.

Here are some outdoor examples:

And some indoor examples in VERY dark gyms:

And a fun action shot between matches:

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +13 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,035

Great picture the last one.

Btw EVF get used to it, all camera's will have it sooner or later.

It's working great on the A7R3

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
WhatSteveDid
WhatSteveDid Junior Member • Posts: 30

If you pick up the A7R3 then make sure to enable the high frame rate mode on the EVF. it’ll lower the resolution ever so slightly but will definitely help shooting sports, especially when panning.

WhatSteveDid's gear list:WhatSteveDid's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Ltgk20 Regular Member • Posts: 147

I don't shoot mirrorless but my first EVF was on an a99 (released in 2012).  It was different, but with practice, I could track anything I needed to. I switched to an a99ii and tracking got easier.  The a7riii will be at least as good as the a99ii so I wouldn't be concerned at all. It'll take practice as all new things do, but it won't be a barrier.

Mark0519 New Member • Posts: 24

dpeete - where do you find optimal settings for the A7r iii for indoor volleyball. Jumping ship from canon and shoot in darker gyms....both volleyball and basketball. Cheers!

Mark0519's gear list:Mark0519's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
DaFireMedic Senior Member • Posts: 1,347

Mark0519 wrote:

dpeete - where do you find optimal settings for the A7r iii for indoor volleyball. Jumping ship from canon and shoot in darker gyms....both volleyball and basketball. Cheers!

Mark0519 wrote:

While you are waiting for dpeete, I’ll share mine that I use on the a7iii for indoor grappling and jiu-jitsu tournaments, a little different but usually in gyms or arenas with mediocre lighting at best.

I shoot RAW, manual mode, between 1/400 and 1/800 shutter speed (yours may be faster), widest aperture for lens (usually 2.8), auto ISO, AF-C, and Continuous Hi. My preferred focus area is flexible spot small, but another may be better for volleyball.

I also assign my AF-On button to Recall Custom Hold with the 1/800 shutter speed because I usually keep the shutter speed at 1/500, but if I anticipate a faster motion such as a takedown, I can hit that button with my thumb and it immediately goes to 1/800 as I hold it down.

I also find it easiest if I manually white balance once inside the venue, or take a shot of a WB card inside for later use.

DaFireMedic's gear list:DaFireMedic's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 312

Mark0519 wrote:

I've got my original settings documented here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60629562

I don't think much has changed since that post. Depending on the shot I usually use Flexible Spot at different sizes for action through the net,  Flexible Spot or Lock On for action from the sidelines, and Center or Zone for "jube" shots. And I use GM lenses, so I can grab eye-af any time I want it with the lens button.

Let me know if there is a specific setting you are curious about and I'll check my gear to verify it is still current and/or give you my rationale.

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads