A7iii JPEG settings - best option?

Started Aug 13, 2018 | Discussions
HDcamfan Contributing Member • Posts: 590
A7iii JPEG settings - best option?

Not wishing to start a raw v JPEG discussion but for family type photos what’s your best straight out of camera jpeg settings. Any suggestions would be great.

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP HDcamfan Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: A7iii JPEG settings - best option?

Anyone?

curlyone
curlyone Contributing Member • Posts: 827

Hi, HD,    Raw files will allow you to do more with the files than Jpeg files,  Programs, in most cases,  Jpegs are fairly limited compared to raw files, when you need to make major changes,  if only doing e-mails and Facebook type of stuff , Jpegs will be fine, but use the best Jpeg setting Sony has available on the menu.

LesPickstock Contributing Member • Posts: 547

HDcamfan wrote:

Anyone?

Off... for me, irrespective of subject

-- hide signature --

LesP

W3PYF
W3PYF Contributing Member • Posts: 908

HDcamfan wrote:

Not wishing to start a raw v JPEG discussion but for family type photos what’s your best straight out of camera jpeg settings. Any suggestions would be great.

The dynamic range of the A7III is pretty amazing - and the extra fine jpegs are just stunning.

I would suggest you shoot both raw and extra fine jpeg. It’s easy to use automatic white balance, although since you appear to not desire to do any post-processing, you might get better images if you scroll down on the white balance menu to the last choice, where - by pressing the center button on the back wheel - you can capture the precise white balance optimum for the scene in front of you.

I would not use any other possible modifications (e.g. scene or “vivid” or other choices). But I would especially pay attention to lighting on your subjects’ faces. Top lighting causes deep eye socket shadows (“raccoon eyes”) - and while you can correct them a bit, nothing like what you can do with raw.

Another possibility to consider is shooting auto-HDR (automatic high dynamic range). It’s on the 12th menu page of the first camera-icon menu choice. Under challenging light conditions, it can be a great mode for avoiding post-processing. But you must choose only jpeg - not raw + jpeg - on the first menu page.

Good luck!

W3PYF's gear list:W3PYF's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads