rx100m6, returned it, perfect condition, Best Buy, Union, NJ

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663
rx100m6, returned it, perfect condition, Best Buy, Union, NJ

despite everything, I returned the rx100m6.

Perfect Condition (except diopter lever movement),

torn box, (not bad, just the opening edge) will be available at Best Buy, Union, NJ in a few days. Geek Squad checks it, then goes back in stock. I put an lcd screen protector on it while I had it, ZERO scuffs on it. Not a scratch or scuff on the body. All parts present.

Warranty:

Sony. Tricky but I think covered. Sony warranty's are transferable. All you need is a COPY of the initial sales receipt, establishing start date of 1 yr warranty. It can be sold many times, does not matter. I have my original receipt, anyone can have a copy, or, the original. Receipt does not say returned item, it says 'Open Item Discount'. In the past, Open Box units are covered by Sony, date of sale is the date of warranty start. I registered it with Sony, on 8-3-18: it's serial # 0990986, sales date 7-30-18. It did not come up as previously registered. Verify that serial # with Best Buy if you want that unit.

IF any issue, it is only about the original sales date, warranty start. USA initial shipping date was 7-10-18, so Sony has to admit it could not have been sold prior to 7-10-18.

3rd Party Warranty. I bought a 3 yr Geek Squad Warranty, Accidental Handling, starts the 1st day, so if Sony doesn't cover it, Best Buy does. I returned that also. New model, known problematic diopter lever, miniature, mobile, moving parts, I highly recommend Accidental Handling and extended warranty.

Why did I return it?

• Reviewed years of photos of all types, all cameras: R1; RX1r; rx100m1; m3; Oly Stylus 1; rx100m6
  • View or print max 11” high. Handheld Jpeg OOC (will never learn RAW so don’t waste key strokes).
  • Shoot kids, lots of motion, much low light. Better IS and more aggressive NR don’t solve motion.
  • Existing cameras cover my needs: rx100m6 duplicates, does not add anything
  • Prefer belt pouch or small shoulder bag: both hands and pants pockets free, so no usable size advantage
  • Reach: Stylus 1 + 1.7x tele = 510 OZ and 1,020 2X (all f2.8)(2X a bit better than Sony CIZ)(smaller 1/1.7” sensor)
  • Lens soft in corners until f4.0, f4.5. For sharp corners, lens is always darker. Tested 3 units
  • RX1r and Stylus 1: sharp corners all apertures, all focal lengths. rx100m1, m3 sharper corners than rx100m6.
  • In-camera Sharpness tests, +1, +2, +3 no real difference, and corners still soft.
  • Jpeg IS allows use of slower shutter speeds, BUT often needed due to darker lens
  • Jpeg NR helps use higher ISO, but, at a loss of detail. NR not an issue for RAW.
  • Stylus 1 ‘real’ EVF with very good eyepiece
  • Rx100m6 evf, not just diopter movement, I just can’t get happy with it, I like my m3 EVF.

I have sample lens test shots, but you saw my earlier ones, and most people don't care about soft corners which I understand. It certainly would not have been an issue in the majority of the years of photos I reviewed, I just want anyone interested to know.

Perhaps the most interesting test shots people might like to see are the in-camera sharpening adjustment shots, I will post them separately. My conclusion: perhaps use sharpness +1, surprisingly I could not see any difference with +2, +3, but my test may not be best to determine that.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Canon EOS M3 Sony RX1R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,311
Re: rx100m6, returned it, perfect condition, Best Buy, Union, NJ

Thank you for your feedback. Surprising, but what the heck, you would've really hated the TZ200!

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm XF10 +5 more
Keith Jefferies Regular Member • Posts: 224

I wish they would charge a 20% restocking fee for the return of non faulty goods then maybe we would all pay a little less for our cameras.

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663

telefunk wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. Surprising, but what the heck, you would've really hated the TZ200!

I tested the crapola out of the ZS100, you are right, I had no hesitation, back it went. I did not like Pany Jpeg colors, but, I thought I might have made in-camera adjustments to solve that. It could not beat my Oly Stylus 1, and the Oly could beat it for bright reach.

The rx100m6: better IS and more agressive NR made it much more acceptable than the ZS100. It has more reach than all other rx100's, and many who don't have more reach and want it in a small package will love the rx100m6. It's super AF system is an undeniable, un-matchable feature. 24, and even 10 fps is too much to edit for me. I could have been happy with it's 3 fps. My Stylus 1 takes 7fps. I am happy with the rx100m1 and m4 4 fps (with individual focus and exposure).

I take frequent short bursts of Soccer, Ice Hockey, longer bursts of Softball. The write time for any sequence wants to be fast, something great can occur instantaneously. I took 4 secs at 24fps with rx100m6, Jpeg XF (no RAW), it took 90 secs to write from buffer to card.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

Keith Jefferies wrote:

I wish they would charge a 20% restocking fee for the return of non faulty goods then maybe we would all pay a little less for our cameras.

I strongly disagree.

We order with the intention of keeping it, based on specs and reviews. I certainly did. No one could ever anticipate my problem using the m6 EVF. No reviewer mentioned the moving diopter lever (surely some did move). Reviewers generally said the lens was sharp. No one showed test shots of soft corners.

I worked my aassss off evaluating this camera. There is no way for me, or others to know if a camera really does it for them without hands on. I believe I have provided much more info and actual results than review sites.

There is no way they can do that and compete with Amazon, B&H, Adorama return policies. They accept returns, and still sell at the best prices.

They all make a profit, their return policy is a major part of why people buy from them, higher volume for them. It has no impact on what you pay. Sony controls, absolutely controls the price of their new cameras.They don't go back to Sony. B&H gives 30 days, unquestioned, on both new and used.

In the beginning, many returned RX10's to get one with a sharper lens. The retailers simply re-sold them, the problem was Sony's, not the retailers. B&H and Best Buy (presumably Adorama) all know about the diopter lever moving, but they will sell them without informing the buyer.

You really want me and others to risk $240., or even $120.?

Cheating on Tax Returns, Cheating on Insurance claims, there I agree, that raises the cost for everybody.

I wish I had answered you in a PM.

Of course people will have other worthwhile opinions, however I hope this does not derail this/my thread, as can happen.

Keith Jefferies Regular Member • Posts: 224

OK , I see that you do not believe that the cost of these returns is built into the selling price that we all pay.

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,546
May be... but...

May be... but it's a system that works and we pay much less for these kinds of products compared to most places, if not all, that I've been and lived. The fact that consumers in the US know that they can return something if not liked means more people buy things that they might hesitate about if in another situation. I'm including the defective purchase item as well; in some places you can't return a defective or damaged item, but must send it off to the manufacturer for repair. A hassle.

I have often read that the returns that we are discussing don't really add to the cost when compared to the expanded sales which tends to lower prices.

It's a good system that works.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Corkcampbell
This is an interesting post, which would appeal to someone in the area...

This is an interesting post, which would appeal to someone in the area who may want to pick up the camera, or someone who could order it with the knowledge that they are getting your particular return. My compliments.

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Re: This is an interesting post, which would appeal to someone in the area...

Corkcampbell wrote:

This is an interesting post, which would appeal to someone in the area who may want to pick up the camera, or someone who could order it with the knowledge that they are getting your particular return. My compliments.

After I wrote this, I thought, if someone doesn't have a prior rx100 model (I happen to have my beloved m3) it would work out quite well for them, perhaps better than any prior model.

In my pants pocket was a big asset for my m1, the smallest and lightest of the bunch. (it just died, waiting in the shop for my tiny screwdrivers and a bit of luck).

I now use CPL outdoors on all my cameras when skies are involved. That takes it out of a single pocket even with CPL detached, out of your pants pocket with CPL and it's lens protector attached. That changes the mobility game, up to belt pouch, jacket pocket, and that opens pandora's box to much competition.

I actually prefer small belt pouch, I have a dandy small one for my m3 with Kiwi Filter adapter on it (adds 4.5mm to depth). I am going to change back to MagFilter system (ordered for m6 will use on m3) Without CPL, rx100's are still highly mobile, high IQ, no doubt. I put the m6 in shorts pockets, surprisingly forgot about it.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Corkcampbell
I also have the RX100M3, and an RX10M3; don't see any reason to upgrade either one. (nt)

NT

-- hide signature --

Re: This is an interesting post, which would appeal to someone in the area...

Corkcampbell wrote:

That's why I gave all the facts. It was a lucky deal I got. I think it was 'buy in store' only. IF someone finds it on-line, and needs to verify it is that unit, that is why I gave the serial #. Failing that info, I can go to the store and verify that, it is only 20 minutes from me, and I would love someone to get the savings. But, I will be away for a week, back next Sunday, who knows when it will pop up in their system.

I got a deal on the RX10, Adorama had a quick sale (they wanted to get more $ in by the end of the year). the savings was around $250. Several others got it here, then the deal dissapeared. I realized, the RX10 was too big for me, so, before I returned it to Adorama, I mentioned it here, and Harvey wanted it, he missed the deal by hours. I was quite happy someone here benefitted from it.

He is still shooting with it and showing us many terrific photos. I bought a warranty for that one, it was not transferrable, but I assured him I could make the claim on his behalf. I prefer transferable ones, like Sony's and Square Trade ..., it's worth checking. Best Buy told me Geek Squad warranty is transferable, there may be some paperwork.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,316
Nope.

Keith Jefferies wrote:

If they did that people would buy elsewhere. Sony fixes the price of the cameras so everybody charges the same. Adding a 20% restocking fee would not lower the retail price because Sony doesn't let them on a new product. All camera companies price fix their products.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 42,316

Keith Jefferies wrote:

OK , I see that you do not believe that the cost of these returns is built into the selling price that we all pay.

It's not. See my previous post.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 12,888

Keith Jefferies wrote:

That's not the way it works ... but here's the way it might work:

There's evidence that vendors that don't charge a restocking fee just accept returns for reasons like buyer's remorse and then sell the items again as new to the next buyer.

If a vendor charges a restocking fee on an item returned for reasons like buyer's remorse, that vendor could then re-sell that item at a reduced price as an open-box item, having already made up the difference in profit from the charges paid by the first buyer.

Thus, if you want to be assured of actually getting a new item that's advertised as new, buy only from vendors that charge a restocking fee.

Does it really work that way? I don't know.

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,410

I think you need to stop over testing your gear, and lower your expectations of the RX100vi pocketable all in one travel cam.

It's not perfect, but with its broad/extensive feature set, it's a damn sight better than any other competing product.

I too have tested my copy, and at 24mm it's only very slightly softer in the upper right corner (not noticeable unless you're really looking for it). It's corner sharp at every other focal length.

My diopter hasn't moved since the day I purchased it, but I simply do the soft open technique to avoid it happening. I have read comments on DPR where previous RX models had similar problems.

My Outdoor OOC setting is Landscape with Contrast -1, Saturation -1 and Sharpening -1, so as you can see, unlike you I reduced the sharpening (and contrast) because the camera's default setting is too high IMO.

I read all your "Testing" posts (some informative & helpful), but I thought why not stop testing it, and just accept it for what it is, and use it for what you purchased it for (taking photos).

If I want an "all in one" with pocketable portability, I grab my RX100vi.

If I want an "all in one" with longer reach, I grab my RX10iv.

If I want superior IQ, I grab my a7rii and bag of lenses.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more

Go back and read my reasons, it was after much thought, comparisons of achieved results, my need for shooting kids sports, as well as lens tests.

I qualified the soft corners as being of minor importance for most photos, and I also made it clear, after reviewing years of photos, and comparing results against my existing Oly zoom, it only duplicated, did not add to my gear's capabilities.

I shot Daria on stage, Oly bright small sensor, against rx100m6. Slow 1/80th, they essentially tied, faster 125, 250 Oly wins every time. I shot kids at a water slide with both cameras, down the hill rapidly, in and out of shadows, my problem with the m6 was seeing outdoors via the EVF, I just cannot get happy with it like I am with my m3. These are functional differences, not resolution tests.

You must have an exceptional unit, I tested 3 units, they all were soft, in all corners.

I tested sharpness 0, +1, +2, +3, -1, -2, -3; a full set of all apertures available for 24mm; 26mm; 36mm; 48mm; 111mm; and 200mm.

24 f2.8 0

+1

+2

+3

0 repeated

corners don't get better until f3.5

36mm f3.5 0

+1

+2

+3

0 repeated

f4.0 and f4.5 corners are better

My RX1 and Oly, both are sharp at all apertures at all focal lengths.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,410

You've substantiated my point again, by posting more charts.

You've also made comparisons to the RX1r and your Olympus, neither of which are comparable to the "all in one" pocketable RX100vi, because they don't offer the same feature set whilst being able to fit in your pocket. Clearly the RX100vi has some compromises to be able to squeeze a 24-200mm focal range into a 1" sensor camera that fits in your pocket, maybe a little loss of IQ and lowlight performance.

You seem to be happy with your RX100iii (I used to own one, and I know its flaws), and it would be a reasonable model to compare against the RX100vi, so why didn't you post side by side charts to compare both models?

:

How does the RX100iii perform from 71-200mm?

How's the RX100iii EyeAF and tracking performance without PDAF?

How's the RX100iii 4k video performance?

These are just some of the reasons why I own the RX100vi over the RX100iii

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +2 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 38,979

I set my sharpness on all my camera to minu numbers! Why? Cause I believe I can do a better job sharpening them in PS than a tiny little program in a camera. Of course I like processing photos.

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

DenImage wrote:

You've substantiated my point again, by posting more charts.

You've also made comparisons to the RX1r and your Olympus, neither of which are comparable to the "all in one" pocketable RX100vi, because they don't offer the same feature set whilst being able to fit in your pocket. Clearly the RX100vi has some compromises to be able to squeeze a 24-200mm focal range into a 1" sensor camera that fits in your pocket, maybe a little loss of IQ and lowlight performance.

You seem to be happy with your RX100iii (I used to own one, and I know its flaws), and it would be a reasonable model to compare against the RX100vi, so why didn't you post side by side charts to compare both models?

:

How does the RX100iii perform from 71-200mm?

How's the RX100iii EyeAF and tracking performance without PDAF?

How's the RX100iii 4k video performance?

These are just some of the reasons why I own the RX100vi over the RX100iii

Den

It's not about you or me or anyone being right. It's a great camera like you, and I, have said.

The post is not about test charts, it is about me letting my friends here know that after all was said and done, it didn't work out, FOR ME. I am sure many are as disappointed as I am.

I will be in search for something else for my 70th birthday prize.

Suggestions?

And, it is about someone else might want a nice savings when this m6 pops up again at Best Buy. I worked pretty hard to help pass it on if so.

Before you wrote, I said I would show the +/- sharpness tests, because it saves others from doing it, helps them decide if/what they might try.

Rather than a separate thread, I used my reply to you to post them, as I had said I would. You stated, but did not show, that your m6 is sharp in 3 of 4 corners when wide, and again, without showing, that it oversharpens. I show test charts, ask questions, and let others make what they will of them.

Anyone considering one will know a heck of a lot more from my postings than previously.

repeat

I have sample lens test shots, but you saw my earlier ones, and most people don't care about soft corners which I understand. It certainly would not have been an issue in the majority of the years of my photos I reviewed, I just want anyone interested to know.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads