Another "Which body?" post. 1DsMKIII, or...?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
LensConcepts New Member • Posts: 3
Another "Which body?" post. 1DsMKIII, or...?

I know... I know... another one.

I've been researching like crazy, reading reviews, reading forum posts... and I just can't seem to nail the decision down for myself. I was hoping I might gain some valuable insight here.

The backstory: I currently have a Canon 7D (read: *not* a MKII). I have a suite of lenses I've tailored to the type of shooting I do 90% of the time. Having said that, when I'm not shooting a wedding or something commercial I'm shooting portrait sessions with models. Half studio, half location, maybe 20% in less than ideal lighting conditions.

I've had my 7D for quite a while, but it's never really seemed to live up to my IQ expectations. I've experimented with other people's camera bodies, both up and down the spectrum. Better bodies, more entry-level bodies, etc.

The more and more I read, the 1DsMKIII really appeals to me, but I can't get passed that feeling in the back of my mind that it may not be the absolute best fit for me. Admittedly, the lofty allure of a 1-Series body does appeal. I plan to keep the 7D because it certainly has a sports and low-light niche, but I just want something to bring my modeling portrait sessions to the next level.

I don't know that I would be so conceited to say that I am a "pro," but I do believe I've come to the point where I may have outgrown the 7D as a primary modeling body. So... any advice or insights would be absolutely welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
irm Senior Member • Posts: 2,964
Try the 5Div

I upgraded from a 7D to 6D then a 5Div. For what you do I suspect the 5Div would be better fit initially. There is daylight between the 7D and the 6D. The 7D has poor high ISO performance, but way better than my original 10D. The 6d is many time better and the 5div is way better. I had no hesitation to shoot 12800 and even 25600 with excellent results on a recent trip to Europe. No flash required, but should have used one with group shots in the gardens and restaurants.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +13 more
Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,490
Re: Another "Which body?" post. 1DsMKIII, or...?

The 1Ds Mark III remains a quite viable camera, especially if used in good light, or with flash, and has recently become a very good value  on the pre-owned market, considering it sold, new, when introduced, for about $8K US, and decently-preserved samples, today, sell for little more than one-tenth that price. I bought a very clean 1Ds III for less than $900 US, in June 2018.

The down side is that official Canon customer service, and new spare parts, may no longer be available, as the 1Ds III reaches a decade of service life. I was willing to accept this risk, as I enjoy sampling older cameras, that were financially unattainable when they were current models, or preceded my beginning SLR photography. The 1Ds III was “the” pro studio DSLR camera body when I first started DSLR shooting, with much more modest pre-owned APS-C gear.

Having said that, I agree with the member, who posted the earlier reply, regarding the 5D IV. The AF and low-light capability make the 5D IV a better choice for many of us. I added a 5D IV earlier this year, because so much of my bird/wildlife photography starts at ISO 3200.

-- hide signature --

I wore a police badge and pistol, and made evidentiary images at night, incorporating elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. (Retired January 2018.) I enjoy using Canon and Nikon gear.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +49 more
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,233

If I were in your shoes I would get the 5DIII or 5DIV with a Sigma Art portrait lens, I'm mentioning Sigma because I saw portrait results from a 5DIII and a 50mm/1.4 ART that really impressed me, though I know from experience that EOS lenses are also excellent.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Nikon D5100 +29 more
RHWeber
RHWeber Regular Member • Posts: 426

The 1ds iii was my primary camera for many years. It is now my backup as I upgraded to a 5dsr. I am primarily a landscape shooter and I love the 50mg. I still use the 1ds iii and I really like the results. The 5dIV will be lighter and have more modern features, such as a built in level and higher ISO, but I am not certain the the images will be any better. It will cost much more than a good used 1ds iii. Remember your crop sensor lenses will not  work with the full frame cameras. If you do not have "L" lenses or modern sigma lenses you may be disappointed with the full frame camera you choose.

-- hide signature --

bobweberphotography.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
realmadeira Regular Member • Posts: 154

LensConcepts wrote:

I've been researching like crazy, reading reviews, reading forum posts... and I just can't seem to nail the decision down for myself. I was hoping I might gain some valuable insight here.

The backstory: I currently have a Canon 7D (read: *not* a MKII). I have a suite of lenses I've tailored to the type of shooting I do 90% of the time. Having said that, when I'm not shooting a wedding or something commercial I'm shooting portrait sessions with models. Half studio, half location, maybe 20% in less than ideal lighting conditions.

I've had my 7D for quite a while, but it's never really seemed to live up to my IQ expectations. I've experimented with other people's camera bodies, both up and down the spectrum. Better bodies, more entry-level bodies, etc.

The more and more I read, the 1DsMKIII really appeals to me, but I can't get passed that feeling in the back of my mind that it may not be the absolute best fit for me. Admittedly, the lofty allure of a 1-Series body does appeal. I plan to keep the 7D because it certainly has a sports and low-light niche, but I just want something to bring my modeling portrait sessions to the next level.

I don't know that I would be so conceited to say that I am a "pro," but I do believe I've come to the point where I may have outgrown the 7D as a primary modeling body. So... any advice or insights would be absolutely welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Any modern DSLR (or higher-end MILC) will be an upgrade for you, Canon or any other brand. Model portraits are not very demanding of the camera IQ- or AF- wise

You did not mention whether you have any lens worth keeping (not sure what "a suite of lenses I've tailored to the type of shooting I do 90% of the time" really means). In any case it is very easy to sell them for a market price

OP LensConcepts New Member • Posts: 3

I actually do have a couple of Sigma and L series lenses. I also have one of those old ridiculously named: "Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens" that I just can't get rid of. I don't believe I have any EF-S lenses in my kit anymore.

I was drooling at the announcement of the 5DMKIV, but I also wondered if the IQ would be sooooo much more superior than the 1DsMKIII for more than twice the price.

I had considered a 5DMKIII as well, but for no rational reason it just doesn't give me the same "butterflies" as a MKIV or the 1DSMKIII.

So I guess the next question is: Is the image quality of the 5DMKIV sooooo much more superior than the 1DsMKIII to justify the difference in the price? This "new" body will be primarily for the sessions I have with models in the lighting situations I described above. I'll almost never, probably never never, have to go higher than ISO3200. The price isn't a huge issue, but I'm curious if I'd gain much benefit from the difference in the bodies for such a specific need/use.

Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

LensConcepts wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Ive been a professional fashion/glamour photographer for 15 years. been published everywhere from Playboy to Maxim to Muscle and fitness to all kinds of ads for agencies, clothing companies and more all around the globe. Ive owned a dozen or so Canon bodies and Ive shot layouts for national magazines with a Rebel T2i and other Rebels over the years. Honestly, there is no camera thats going to take your portraits to the next level, its all about your lighting and composition. In a studio shooting at f/8-f/13 with strobes. pretty much any camera and lens combo will do and look nearly identical. However, when you get out into natural light, especially around the golden hour, you will want fast primes. I only shoot primes and go with the holy trinity 50/85/135 of lenses every portrait shooter should have IMO. Ill tell you the same thing i tell the guys who attend my workshops. I would put your money into quality lenses, bodies come and go. The only Canon camera on the market that would stand out from the pack in the studio would be a 5Ds (or R) but thats for us guys shooting for high end clients that really need the detail and the resolution for massive prints. I currently have a 6D and 77D but at some point I will be getting a 5Ds, waiting to see what the new FF mirrorless brings first though.

LensConcepts wrote:

I actually do have a couple of Sigma and L series lenses. I also have one of those old ridiculously named: "Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens" that I just can't get rid of. I don't believe I have any EF-S lenses in my kit anymore.

I was drooling at the announcement of the 5DMKIV, but I also wondered if the IQ would be sooooo much more superior than the 1DsMKIII for more than twice the price.

I had considered a 5DMKIII as well, but for no rational reason it just doesn't give me the same "butterflies" as a MKIV or the 1DSMKIII.

So I guess the next question is: Is the image quality of the 5DMKIV sooooo much more superior than the 1DsMKIII to justify the difference in the price? This "new" body will be primarily for the sessions I have with models in the lighting situations I described above. I'll almost never, probably never never, have to go higher than ISO3200. The price isn't a huge issue, but I'm curious if I'd gain much benefit from the difference in the bodies for such a specific need/use.

5DIV is much better buy than 1DsIII unless you have a thing for 1D style body and controls

LensConcepts wrote:

I would get rid of Sigma and Tamron whatever the cost.

Regarding your L lenses it is not clear to me. If you feel shy to disclose which ones I would get rid of them too

As for 5DIV vs 1DsIII: I have 1DsIII and I think $1000 minty ones going for is a fair price (I got a beaten up for much less). For paid job I would take 5DIV every time. 3X price premium over 1DsIII is justified. IQ is better, usability is better

As for the lenses:

24-70/2.8II as a 1-lens setup

35/2.0 IS, 85/1.8 as a cheap 2-lens setup

35/1.4II, 85/1.2II as an expensive 2-lens setup

AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 1,603

The Canon I bought as the replacement for the 1Ds III was the 5Ds. Sure, you could get the 5Dsr, but the 1Ds III had an AA filter. Either way, this is the highest pixel count Canon available, just as the 1Ds III was.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the 5Ds. Yeah, the battery is smaller than a 1 series, and no built-in grip, but it's convenient to have a smaller body sometimes. I really like 50Mpixel images.

My favourite lens with this body are the Sigma Art 85mm and Art 135mm.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +1 more
RHWeber
RHWeber Regular Member • Posts: 426

I used the 1dsiii for portraits for many years. I have attached a portrait from that camera. Remember this is a JPG at 70 px/inch

-- hide signature --

bobweberphotography.com

RHWeber's gear list:RHWeber's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R +8 more
zevtambor Forum Member • Posts: 99

i bought a 1ds mark iii when it came out, spending $9600 on it with all extras and batteries.  Great camera.  But - in 2018????  Get a 5d 4, or even used 5d 3.

the 1d series is a beautiful dinosaur, fit more for a museum than for a working photgrapher.

OP LensConcepts New Member • Posts: 3

Idiotically, I keep forgetting to mention that I also have a Sony mirrorless (NEX-5R) with the kit lens, and a 16mm 2.8 lens. I'd actually love to get more lenses for this, or perhaps place it with one of their 7 series mirrorless bodies as a substitute for the DSLR.

As far as the lenses I have now, this is my (active) kit:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 Art DC HSM

Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art

Canon 80-200 F2.8 L "Magic Drainpipe"

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) *such a ridiculous name*

I also have the 18-55 kit lens, the Canon Nifty Fifty, I also tend to switch the 24-105 and Tamron depending on what I'm doing.

Dexter75 Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

Someone posted a portrait from the 1DsIII and a 135L, a very nice combo. Here is a portrait I shot with a 40D and a cheap 28-135. As I said in my previous post, in a studio using strobes, the camera and lens combo is pretty much insignificant. Its all about lighting first and foremost and your post processing to a lesser extent. You will want fast primes for your natural light work though. I would suggest a used 6D (they are insanely cheap) and then sell off those zoom lenses and add a 50 and 135 to your 85.

rmexpress22 Contributing Member • Posts: 662

For me, the main drawback of the 1Ds3 would be the noise level. Even though the 5D2 used the same, or a similar sensor, the 5D2 looked good up to ISO1600 without needing a lot of work.

The 6D2 in the used market or grey market is under $1300. A few hundred dollars more than a 1Ds3, but with a lot of added benefits to justify the price.

Another option is a 1D4, which is a little newer and would play nicer with your crop-body lenses like the Sigmas being the last Canon body with 1.3x crop. It also has video and you get the performance of a 1D body with the FPS to match. It's lower res than your 7D but should look a little better.

The 1Ds3 is still a good camera. There's just better options if you want better performance and quality.

rmexpress22's gear list:rmexpress22's gear list
Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6i +12 more
GreatWhiteWing Contributing Member • Posts: 659

LensConcepts wrote:

In our household we have 2 of those "Tamron SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Lens". Quite a decent lens on crop but I believe you will be disappointed with a hi rez FF sensor. What a steal those are for $200 used on a crop body.

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter +2 more
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Contributing Member • Posts: 812

My 1Ds3 was relegated to backup when I bought a 1Dx and I cannot seem to sell it. Just Sunday I pulled it out and shot some nice images outdoors. The 1Ds3 is great in the studio or outdoors but starts to show it's age at about ISO600. I will admit that I've recently thought about selling both and replacing them with either 5DIV or 5Ds'. For over twenty years, I've liked the 1Series form but perhaps a change would be good. I would suggest renting a couple bodies and buy what feels best and produces the nicest images.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads