Gimbal for 5D Mark IV?

Started Aug 3, 2018 | Discussions
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,660
Gimbal for 5D Mark IV?

Obviously no matter if you have IS on a lens or even IBIS inside the body of a camera the shots never look as good as a Gimbal.

All of these years I've watched incredible shots with Glidecams, however I didn't want to mess with the Glidecam. It takes practice, balancing things can be a bit difficult etc.

We are finally in the era where there are affordable Gimbals that will hold a heavy DSLR and L glass and still have plenty more weight it can hold.

The one I am thinking about is the DJI Ronin-S, it's backordered on most websites I see. I see YouTubers with them already and I watch both the set up and footage and its flat out amazing. It's very small as well to be what it is, 12 hour of battery life.

It's actually recommended for Canon DSLR's, so is the other brand most people are using these days, Zhiyun Crane 2, which has a follow focus that only works with Canon DSLR's and lenses. I'm not talking about the Zhiyun Crane V2 but the Crane 2. They made it kinda confusing, the V2 will only hold lightweight cameras and although some people are putting 1DX's and 5D IV's on them it's not made for that like the Crane 2 is.

What is making more attracted to the DJI is I know their company has experience, there are a ton of good reviews that are not sponsored, I've seen side to side test and it's always said the DJI feels like it's built much better.

Does anyone in here have a Gimbal? I am interested in asking a few things from someone that has one.

I feel like this is one of those things I've anticipated for so long. I never thought I'd be able to use auto focus in video reliably. I figured it'd just be close. Canon's dual pixel AF works near flawlessly.

The next thing to making my videos look better is stabilization, even if Canon had IBIS like Sony does, those types of stabilization are made for photography and they do not look good while walking with the camera so much.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,776
Re: Gimbal for 5D Mark IV?

I think these things are called stabilizing gimbals as opposed to what are gimbal tripod heads. I have the former kind for my phone and the latter type for my tripod. I have watched many youtube reviews of guys working out the balance of their camera on them.

Sorry I could not be more helpful but I got confused but the subject line.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 800mm F11 IS STM +32 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 11,140

i do have a gimbal head and use it when i have my canon 600 f4.0 II on it. i haven't used it for my other lenses! my gimbal head and CF tripod are made by RRS and they are sure beauties! i am pretty sure RRS makes the finest tripods and tripod heads out there but quite expensive, understandably! it really helps me using RRS gimbal head when i have my 600mm lens on it, whether moon shots or little hummers   i can control the frontal position of my lens' front at any angle i want to effortlessly with one finger. my gimbal head can also be moved horizontal increments, which is perfect for landscape panoramic shots. i have invest quite a bit of $ on RRS gear that i am very happy with. there are some Chinese stuff on the market as well for very reasonable price, which will work ok for someone that doesn't want to spend too much $ on this stuff. good luck with your selection.

-- hide signature --

Who are you gonna believe, me, or your lying eyes? Groucho Marx.

BlueCosmo5050
OP BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

Well, I ordered the DJI Ronin S, after watching a ton of reviews, it seems it the best one out there right now. Very cinematic.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
ashton lamont
ashton lamont Contributing Member • Posts: 659

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Obviously no matter if you have IS on a lens or even IBIS inside the body of a camera the shots never look as good as a Gimbal.

All of these years I've watched incredible shots with Glidecams, however I didn't want to mess with the Glidecam. It takes practice, balancing things can be a bit difficult etc.

We are finally in the era where there are affordable Gimbals that will hold a heavy DSLR and L glass and still have plenty more weight it can hold.

The one I am thinking about is the DJI Ronin-S, it's backordered on most websites I see. I see YouTubers with them already and I watch both the set up and footage and its flat out amazing. It's very small as well to be what it is, 12 hour of battery life.

It's actually recommended for Canon DSLR's, so is the other brand most people are using these days, Zhiyun Crane 2, which has a follow focus that only works with Canon DSLR's and lenses. I'm not talking about the Zhiyun Crane V2 but the Crane 2. They made it kinda confusing, the V2 will only hold lightweight cameras and although some people are putting 1DX's and 5D IV's on them it's not made for that like the Crane 2 is.

What is making more attracted to the DJI is I know their company has experience, there are a ton of good reviews that are not sponsored, I've seen side to side test and it's always said the DJI feels like it's built much better.

Does anyone in here have a Gimbal? I am interested in asking a few things from someone that has one.

I feel like this is one of those things I've anticipated for so long. I never thought I'd be able to use auto focus in video reliably. I figured it'd just be close. Canon's dual pixel AF works near flawlessly.

The next thing to making my videos look better is stabilization, even if Canon had IBIS like Sony does, those types of stabilization are made for photography and they do not look good while walking with the camera so much.

I had a Zhiyun Crane V2 n.b. the earlier version of the "Crane 2" briefly but I didn't keep it as for me it would not cope with a relatively heavy Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon 24-105 f4L despite that the weight ought to have been in spec.

The new Crane 2 has double the weight limit plus a lot of new very useful functionality available with recent Canon bodies. But the price in the UK put me off at around £720.

However I recently found and ordered it via a grey market supplier called Eglobal Central UK (I have used them before for other kit). It was only £411 on offer and is in transit to me right now.

I studied lots of alternatives but preferred the Crane 2 over the Ronin 2. Many of the Youtube reviewers are young hobbyists rather than professionals - if I see another reviewer in a back to front baseball cap trying to talk cool and testing basketball I'll die of boredom!

A serious put-off for me of the Ronin 2 is some of the verified purchaser reviews of it on B&H, all be it much with Nikon and Sony rather than Canon. I wouldn't touch the Ronin with the proverbial bargepole until such time as it is fully functional rather than a series of promises.

And whats with its Manfrotto compatible plate not being compatible! Thats a deal breaker for me.

A lot depends on how you use each one - once the Ronin is sorted out. For example the removal of the batteries to recharge the Crane rather than having to recharge within the kit on the Ronin is a biggie for me. All well and good that both have long battery lives between recharges but that won't last forever so I need to be able to have separate replaceable battery cells as in the Crane.

I've added a 6D-II in transit as well after Northrop's recent comments. I don't expect to use my 5DIV's or 5DSR for stills anyway but the 6D-II's articulating screen and with fast DPAF is big for me.

-- hide signature --

Pete

BlueCosmo5050
OP BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

ashton lamont wrote:

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

I had a Zhiyun Crane V2 n.b. the earlier version of the "Crane 2" briefly but I didn't keep it as for me it would not cope with a relatively heavy Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon 24-105 f4L despite that the weight ought to have been in spec.

The new Crane 2 has double the weight limit plus a lot of new very useful functionality available with recent Canon bodies. But the price in the UK put me off at around £720.

However I recently found and ordered it via a grey market supplier called Eglobal Central UK (I have used them before for other kit). It was only £411 on offer and is in transit to me right now.

I studied lots of alternatives but preferred the Crane 2 over the Ronin 2. Many of the Youtube reviewers are young hobbyists rather than professionals - if I see another reviewer in a back to front baseball cap trying to talk cool and testing basketball I'll die of boredom!

A serious put-off for me of the Ronin 2 is some of the verified purchaser reviews of it on B&H, all be it much with Nikon and Sony rather than Canon. I wouldn't touch the Ronin with the proverbial bargepole until such time as it is fully functional rather than a series of promises.

And whats with its Manfrotto compatible plate not being compatible! Thats a deal breaker for me.

A lot depends on how you use each one - once the Ronin is sorted out. For example the removal of the batteries to recharge the Crane rather than having to recharge within the kit on the Ronin is a biggie for me. All well and good that both have long battery lives between recharges but that won't last forever so I need to be able to have separate replaceable battery cells as in the Crane.

I've added a 6D-II in transit as well after Northrop's recent comments. I don't expect to use my 5DIV's or 5DSR for stills anyway but the 6D-II's articulating screen and with fast DPAF is big for me.

Well, from what I've researched the Ronin 2 is much different than the Ronin S which is the one I went for.

I did look a lot at the Crane 2 that has the ability to hold large cameras. I found lots of good footage with the Ronin S using a 1DX Mark ii and that was encouraging.

The build quality is said to be better. Another thing that made me go with it is there is nothing in front of the screen. I won't have to use an external monitor or my phone/IPad if I don't want.

I did see the B&H review but it was the more in depth YouTube videos that convinced me to this route.

I am very happy we now have this technology. I've always wanted my footage to look like that but I never wanted to mess with a glide cam. It takes time, works off of gravity so you have weights, ton of set up, they weigh even more than the DJI Ronin S. Still I wanted that look though, now we have the options.

It is possible if nothing else comes out I could end up with a Crane 2 as well for another camera.

This has made me more happy that I went back to Canon because that dual pixel AF on a Gimbal, which I can control without lag on an iPhone/ iPad is so much more valuable than anything Sony is offering to me right now. I know that it will follow focus my subject without worry while on the Gimbal. With other cameras I feel like I'd have to have a monitor to make sure there wasn't a sudden forward or backward movement of the AF.

The big 4k file size is worth it. However, the sharp 1080p is nice as well. Too bad they gave the 6D Mark ii the dull old 1080p or I'd think about having a 6D Mark ii as a second camera if it could shoot sharp 1080p like the 5D IV but there is no way I'm going back to that soft footage.

I'm looking forward to hanging my camera outside of the passenger side window on that Gimbal and getting some shots of the Autumn leaves turning in the mountains.

The manfrotto plate for whatever reason has issues with the Ronin but for me I was using manfrotto quick release in a different model. The little square ones. Even my video head for my Manfrotto has the little square over the long ones. So it won't matter to me either way.

I like that the bottom of the Ronin has different size mounts for different monopods and tripods. I could do a tripod shot without having to take it off the Ronin.

You can even make it pan and stay with your subject while on a tripod with the Ronin app.

It is heavy though, good thing I'm back at the gym.

I remember back in the 5D Mark ii and iii days going on Amazon and making custom shoulder rigs for DSLR's that usually were horrible. I'm so glad we have this now.

I just don't want to over do it. I don't want ever shot to be obvious that I have a gimbal.

ashton lamont

Whoops I confused the Ronin-2 and the Ronin-S. Sorry! Just got in from shooting todays and yesterdays weddings in (for us) seriously hot and tiring weather.

So yes I was talking about the Crane-2 v. the new Ronin-S and mixed in the Ronin-2 by mistake.

I expect to use the 6DII as a b-cam for much of the time and I do accept its limitations. I use my two 5D-IV's and my single 5DS-R for multi-cam video anyway. The 5DS-R is limited for video for me by its lack of a touchscreen LCD and of course articulation. I have been using up to three old Galaxy S3 smartphones either wired or wireless instead of articulating screens, and sometimes thats better anyway if the cam is distant or high and difficult to reach.

I have a couple of 4k OLED LG TVs and these 1080p video very nicely in my view so that has somewhat deadened the pressure for shooting in 4k other than for pure marketing purposes.

I frequently look at the Panasonic GH series because of 4k but its not full sensor rather than 4/3 plus its autofocus is nothing compared to Canon's DPAF especially on the move rather than static. And Sony scare me with their overheating issues and inferior (?) colour management.

So the 6D-II at just £911 it is. Compromises accepted.

Like yourself I have a ton of interim usage video hardware like sliders and shoulder crates but I never really loved them.

-- hide signature --

Pete

NikonD800Es Senior Member • Posts: 1,381

No, Ronin S is not heavy, it's very heavy, and I am afraid you will be very unpleasantly surprised and will change your mind once you start to use it.

I am using Zhiyun Crane Plus (weight 0,95 kg) with Nikon D810 and Nikon 20mm f1.8 and I can shoot with that combo (total weight 2,2 kg) up to several hours in a row (I am 185cm and in a good shape ).

Ronin S is 1,86 kg alone!

And with D810 and 20mm f1.8 that would make total weight of cca 3,1 kg. And if you replace 20mm f1.8 with some larger lens you will suffer a lot trying to shoot with that combo.

In my opinion Zhiyun Crane 2 is wiser option for anyone that need higher load capacity, as Zhiyun Crane 2 weight is 1,25 kg and its load capacity  of 3,2 kg is very close to Ronin S load capacity (3,6 kg), while its weight is 0,6 kg less then Ronin S weight.

That is huge weight difference, don't kid yourself.

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

It is heavy though, good thing I'm back at the gym.

I remember back in the 5D Mark ii and iii days going on Amazon and making custom shoulder rigs for DSLR's that usually were horrible. I'm so glad we have this now.

I just don't want to over do it. I don't want ever shot to be obvious that I have a gimbal.

david__p Regular Member • Posts: 231

I've had the Crane 2 and a few weeks ago i go the Ronin S.

both are great. both handle lots of weight but the Ronin S is much more accommodating for a camera like the 1DXmkII for instance. there is severe limited mobility with that camera on the Crane 2 as it hits the back with even a mild tilt up or down.

the biggest thing to consider is the weight of the gimbal. the Ronin S is about 1.4lbs heavier.

the slanted back motor on the Ronin S is very nice but not necessary if you attach a small monitor which i usually do.

id say if you use your 5DmkIV "without battery grip" then it would be a good fit for the Crane 2 if weight is a concern otherwise the Ronin S is more versatile. it has a lot of modes that ill never use but many will find useful.

both are very well built, both have great battery life.

to me aside from the fact that my 1DXmkII with 11-24mm works on the Ronin S id say is this...SPORT MODE! this is a deal breaker for me. all you have to do is momentarily hold in the front "button" and you can do screaming fast "pans" that will feel natural and organic. you can't do that on any other gimbal that im aware of. i used to do a lot of old school "Steadicam" and the one thing that the old style gimbals had over 3 axis gimbals is the ability to pan fast..at an instant. the Ronin S does this function incredibly well. my Steadicam may never get used again for me.

both are very good. i just did a shoot where i used both of my gimbals and will keep them both but if weight is not a factor go with the Ronin S.

david

ashton lamont

The relative weight of the two main contenders seemed to cause some confusion. Philip Bloom has weighed the kit himself and reported his findings here:

http://philipbloom.net/blog/djironin-s/

If you can't be doing with reading the link, the figures are:

I have just double checked these figures by weighing them myself and they are off. Neither manufactures take into account essentials. I have done a breakdown of them here:

Ronin-S total weight 2.295kg (5.06 lbs) broken down into the following:

Gimbal: 1.566 Kg
Battery grip: 406 grams
Quick release plate: 74 grams
Tripod: 249 grams

Crane 2 total weight: 1.636 Kg (3.61 lbs)

Gimbal and 3 batteries in grip: 1.394 Kg
Quick release plate: 88 grams
Tripod: 154 grams

Much appreciated by Philip Bloom.

Another factor other than the very extensive "automatic" usage with a Crane 2 in conjunction specifically with Canon and a usb cable is the already availability of some useful assessories.

I am about to get the Crane's Dual Grip rather than the long bar as I think that will work better for me - and its only £35:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZHIYUN-Official-Transmount-CRANE-M-Stabilizer/dp/B07DWZM8D2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533550041&sr=8-1&keywords=ZHIYUN+Official+Transmount+Mini+Dual+Grip

And the ZHIYUN Telescopic Monopod looks very useful for any gimbal that can take a 1/4 or 3/8 screw socket underneath (though I do already have a Gitzo carbon fibre monopod which I modified to add legs):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZHIYUN-Official-Telescopic-Monopod-CRANE-M/dp/B07DWZV8KQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533550079&sr=1-1&keywords=ZHIYUN+Official+Telescopic+Monopod

The Canon cams can run direct from the Zhiyun batteries using an adapter like this Glorich (much cheaper than Canon's own adapters):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glorich-replacement-Adapter-Cameras-Fully-Decoded/dp/B0177TG294/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533550263&sr=1-1&keywords=Glorich+ACK-E6+replacement+AC+Power+Adapter+Kit+for+Canon

-- hide signature --

Pete

NikonD800Es Senior Member • Posts: 1,381

I don't know much about Canon 1DXmkII video spec, but would be surprised if that is the best Canon body video spec wise. Also, I never considered usage of a huge pro-body like Nikon D5 (I am Nikon shooter) for a video work.

I am using D810/850/500 with Zhiyun Crane Plus and body size is a limiting factor in some cases, but Crane 2 does not have that kind of limitation with D810/850/500 bodies. But, I can see that Canon 1DXmkII and D5 large bodies would be a source of problems in certain situations.

As OP use 5DMkIV  I still believe that Zhiyun Crane 2 is better option as that gimbal offer a great connectivity for Canon cameras.  At the moment  Ronin S works great only with Panasonic cameras, while connectivity with Canon, Nikon and other brands is almost non-existent (only on paper, advertised but not supported).

DJI is well behind a schedule regarding software support of numerous brands, including Canon, so only basic functions are supported at the moment for all but Panasonic camera brands.

david__p wrote:

I've had the Crane 2 and a few weeks ago i go the Ronin S.

both are great. both handle lots of weight but the Ronin S is much more accommodating for a camera like the 1DXmkII for instance. there is severe limited mobility with that camera on the Crane 2 as it hits the back with even a mild tilt up or down.

the biggest thing to consider is the weight of the gimbal. the Ronin S is about 1.4lbs heavier.

the slanted back motor on the Ronin S is very nice but not necessary if you attach a small monitor which i usually do.

id say if you use your 5DmkIV "without battery grip" then it would be a good fit for the Crane 2 if weight is a concern otherwise the Ronin S is more versatile. it has a lot of modes that ill never use but many will find useful.

both are very well built, both have great battery life.

to me aside from the fact that my 1DXmkII with 11-24mm works on the Ronin S id say is this...SPORT MODE! this is a deal breaker for me. all you have to do is momentarily hold in the front "button" and you can do screaming fast "pans" that will feel natural and organic. you can't do that on any other gimbal that im aware of. i used to do a lot of old school "Steadicam" and the one thing that the old style gimbals had over 3 axis gimbals is the ability to pan fast..at an instant. the Ronin S does this function incredibly well. my Steadicam may never get used again for me.

both are very good. i just did a shoot where i used both of my gimbals and will keep them both but if weight is not a factor go with the Ronin S.

david

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads