JPEG settings for family photos (Sony A7 III)

Started Aug 3, 2018 | Discussions
mohxinn Regular Member • Posts: 134
JPEG settings for family photos (Sony A7 III)

Hi,

When I am shooting photos of friends and family I usually try to use JPEGs. The reason being it is quick to share the photos with the eagerly anxious friends who want have the pic asap to upload to the social media.

The default settings on my Sony A7 III produces OK JPEGs but these look lackluster compared to those from say a Galaxy S8/S9. And then those sarcastic friends say why did you bring this lug for? My phone takes better pictures (arggh! :-x)

I just wanted to what combination of "Creative Style" and "Picutre Profile" do you guys mostly use for such situations? So that one does not look stupid for bringing a DSLR that produces pictures that nobody is that impressed with

-- hide signature --
 mohxinn's gear list:mohxinn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Re: JPEG settings for family photos (Sony A7 III)

If I bring my Sony camera I always shoot RAW only. When processing photos I want to share quickly I usually apply a camera profile, adjust white balance, apply auto settings and do some minor adjustments.

If I don't need/want superb IQ I just shoot with my iPhone.

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,802

If thy are viewing on a Smartphone with a very good display my images have more POP than viewing on my calibrated 24" monitor,   Smartphone are easy and you do not have to worry about settings.

That said , you can play with contrast, saturation, sharpness etc for your jpegs.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

OP mohxinn Regular Member • Posts: 134

I would be really helpful someone can share their settings used for getting SOOC JPEGs. That way I will have a better starting point for testing

Furthermore, is it possible to add custom Creative Styles and/or Picture Profile to Sony cameras like it is with Nikon?

-- hide signature --
Fritzo Regular Member • Posts: 151

For JPEGs I have recently been using Neutral, 0 sharpness, +1 contrast, +1 saturation.

And custom white balance a1 g1.

Been quite pleased with this on OOC snapshots, but Im still in the testing phase

Fritzo's gear list:Fritzo's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
tommiejeep
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,802

http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/contents/TP0000909106.html

Search also for Creative Style and Picture Effect

If you are going to be shooting RAW and jpeg be advised that ll do not work, some for jpeg only so you might want to use your Memories to set up a jpeg shooting.  Also they cannot be used together.

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,208

You have a couple of options:

- tell your friends to wait a bit longer and shoot RAW;

- Dial in the Vivid or Landscape profiles for really punchy results.

Actually, I am not sure if Sony has a sort of pic style bracket shooting mode? Olympus has that I think? You just click the shutter and the camera saves the shot under different pic styles.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
JohnnyJag Forum Member • Posts: 87

Shoot Sony "Vivid". Colourful and loads of pop. Shoot alongside RAW though in case you want to PP any photos later.

Badwater Senior Member • Posts: 2,095

mohxinn wrote:

Hi,

When I am shooting photos of friends and family I usually try to use JPEGs. The reason being it is quick to share the photos with the eagerly anxious friends who want have the pic asap to upload to the social media.

The default settings on my Sony A7 III produces OK JPEGs but these look lackluster compared to those from say a Galaxy S8/S9. And then those sarcastic friends say why did you bring this lug for? My phone takes better pictures (arggh! :-x)

I just wanted to what combination of "Creative Style" and "Picutre Profile" do you guys mostly use for such situations? So that one does not look stupid for bringing a DSLR that produces pictures that nobody is that impressed with

If it's friends you want to impress, use the Galaxy and not worry about what the Sony JPG does.

Option 2: tune the sony picture style and WB to suit the shooting conditions.  Even try the vivid setting and see what you think.

splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,037

If they want it now, sharing and for MM use, get the pictures from a 1 or 2 year old Samsung or I phone, use some of the filters and everybody is very happy.

With vivid or landscape you need to practice a bit what you like better on that moment (light).

Still if you use your camera you ALWAYS will be behind, compared to a cellphone, nobody really cares how much better the picture is out of the camera when you first have to process it.

Make the good camera pictures for the other occasions,  so you can do what you like.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068
anything - but avoid VIVID like the pest n/t

No text.

OP mohxinn Regular Member • Posts: 134

Fritzo wrote:

For JPEGs I have recently been using Neutral, 0 sharpness, +1 contrast, +1 saturation.

And custom white balance a1 g1.

Been quite pleased with this on OOC snapshots, but Im still in the testing phase

That is exactly what I was looking for I will test this.

If you don't mind, can you share a couple of JPEGs taken at those settings? Would be really good to see some samples!

-- hide signature --
GrapeJam
GrapeJam Senior Member • Posts: 2,636

Creative style: Portrait + 1 or 2 contrast.

Exposure compensation: + 0.6 because portrait creative style tend to underexpose the skin.

Or get Procolor v4 from Andrew Reid for 27$ and get awesome color (people say that it looks like Canon color but I have extensive experience with Canon cameras and Canon colors look nothing like Procolor v4)

GrapeJam's gear list:GrapeJam's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads