rx100m6, got one, glad Best Buy hung up on me

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544
rx100m6, got one, glad Best Buy hung up on me

B&H is charging tax online now ($100.). (Adorama is not). I realized, then I could find one at Best Buy, NJ, -2% lower tax, check it's EVF in the store or parking lot, keep or return it.

Surprisingly found 1 open box online, where of all places? My store in Union, NJ 10 miles away.

I called to verify they had it. Press 1, press 1, on hold, .... disconnected (hung up on me)

repeated, same thing happened FIVE TIMES. WTH

I decided, try to get to the geek squad desk, get transferred to cameras. They answered, sure, that will work, hold on, ... disconnected.

Plans to take Ben and Cooper Down the Shore today, they are delayed, Donna says, go get the camera, we will go later, come back after rush hour rather than before rush hour.

Off I go. I enter the store, and ask for the manager. I hold up 5 fingers in front of his face. Huh? That's how many times your store hung up on me. Then, 1 more strategic finger (no, not that one), the dropped call via geek squad, that's 6!.

What can I help you with?

The open box is a return, not a demo. They wanted $960. The box is torn in the front (they are weird to open, original dude ripped it) That's why it dropped from 'excellent' to their 'satisfactory' condition/price. Everything there? Battery's missing. Nope, in the camera. It's diopter lever moved left. I made a funny face, he says, he can give it to me for $899.

Can I return it? Yes.

Sony warranty? yes, but not full year, the initial date it was sold is the start date, I get the balance, which has to be around 11 months, I will find out tomorrow.

Buy a 3 year geek warranty, starting today? Yes, on sale, and give me an additional $20. off.

All together, considering the cost and tax, I saved $344. Not a scuff on it. Lens test tomorrow.

I had decided, perhaps the soft lift technique is a good idea anyway, and, after Sony fixes/changes the EVF unit, I can send it in on warranty if I want to be bothered.

I do love a bargain, makes me happy every time I pick it up!

Now what the heck did I have in My Menu? Thank goodness I wrote it down!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Tim G
Tim G Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: rx100m6, got one, glad Best Buy hung up on me

Welcome to the M6 club

Tim G's gear list:Tim G's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Sony RX100 VI
valsan Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Nice, great price. Enjoy it.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,516
Good Job. I Had A Very Similar Experience

I had a very similar experience when I bought my 5 just before this past Christmas. While it didn’t involve any phone calls and being hung up on, I also got my RX100 5 at Best Buy as a recently returned item. The camera was in like new condition and it only had a few photos taken. I was surprised to see it in the locked display case. I figured someone had ordered it from their site and returned it to the store instead because I had never previously see an RX100 on display at Best Buy and none were on display in the normal area at that time. It was just the returned model sitting in the returns display cabinet. My price was just a little over $600 with a $50 gift card. If the diopter adjustment is messed up on your 6 then just send it to Sony for repair or replacement. Good job on getting a similarly great deal on a great camera. 👍

RogerZoul
RogerZoul Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

I love a deal on gear!  I'm sure you will love it.

RogerZoul's gear list:RogerZoul's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +31 more
minuteman26 Regular Member • Posts: 316

Congrats, Elliott -- good move!

Mine is a Best Buy purchase also. Got the two year warranty so that if I accidentally smash it to bits I get a new one. That should cover a loose diopter lever, too. My plan is to wait for a while and exchange if that becomes practical.

In the meantime, I have gaffer stopper backed up by easy-does-it technique for the viewfinder launch.

Mina J
Mina J Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

elliottnewcomb wrote:

B&H is charging tax online now ($100.). (Adorama is not). I realized, then I could find one at Best Buy, NJ, -2% lower tax, check it's EVF in the store or parking lot, keep or return it.

Surprisingly found 1 open box online, where of all places? My store in Union, NJ 10 miles away.

I called to verify they had it. Press 1, press 1, on hold, .... disconnected (hung up on me)

repeated, same thing happened FIVE TIMES. WTH

I decided, try to get to the geek squad desk, get transferred to cameras. They answered, sure, that will work, hold on, ... disconnected.

Plans to take Ben and Cooper Down the Shore today, they are delayed, Donna says, go get the camera, we will go later, come back after rush hour rather than before rush hour.

Off I go. I enter the store, and ask for the manager. I hold up 5 fingers in front of his face. Huh? That's how many times your store hung up on me. Then, 1 more strategic finger (no, not that one), the dropped call via geek squad, that's 6!.

What can I help you with?

The open box is a return, not a demo. They wanted $960. The box is torn in the front (they are weird to open, original dude ripped it) That's why it dropped from 'excellent' to their 'satisfactory' condition/price. Everything there? Battery's missing. Nope, in the camera. It's diopter lever moved left. I made a funny face, he says, he can give it to me for $899.

Can I return it? Yes.

Sony warranty? yes, but not full year, the initial date it was sold is the start date, I get the balance, which has to be around 11 months, I will find out tomorrow.

Buy a 3 year geek warranty, starting today? Yes, on sale, and give me an additional $20. off.

All together, considering the cost and tax, I saved $344. Not a scuff on it. Lens test tomorrow.

I had decided, perhaps the soft lift technique is a good idea anyway, and, after Sony fixes/changes the EVF unit, I can send it in on warranty if I want to be bothered.

I do love a bargain, makes me happy every time I pick it up!

Now what the heck did I have in My Menu? Thank goodness I wrote it down!

Congrats Elliott on getting the VI at a bargain.  Persistence really does pay off in many situations.  I hate it when stores hang up on you because it is so rude.  I also hate that my favorite B&H is charging taxes but it will make me more discriminating with my purchases.  They are still my favorite.

Got back Sunday and all went well.  Had a great time especially seeing you.  I haven’t downloaded my photos yet but anxious to see what I got with the RX10 IV and the RX100 III.  Again I want to repeat how tremendously helpful you were in helping me and in explaining the menus.  It was like having class over lunch  

Sincerely,

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D300 Nikon D750
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,763

Congratulations on a real find. I've been watching for a deal on one but haven't been so lucky. Adorama has had several "Demo" units. Too many to actually be demos. I'm sure they're returns. They are only discounting them $50. That's not enough to give up Sony's 1 year warranty for an in-house 90 warranty.

I spotted one at B&H, but I hesitated too long and it got snapped up. Still being hesitant to jump in with both feet on this camera, I'm wanting a deal like you got to push me to buy. Those are rare right now.

I hope this camera works out for you.

-- hide signature --

Steve

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544

Mina J wrote:

Congrats Elliott on getting the VI at a bargain. Persistence really does pay off in many situations. I hate it when stores hang up on you because it is so rude. I also hate that my favorite B&H is charging taxes but it will make me more discriminating with my purchases. They are still my favorite.

Got back Sunday and all went well. Had a great time especially seeing you. I haven’t downloaded my photos yet but anxious to see what I got with the RX10 IV and the RX100 III. Again I want to repeat how tremendously helpful you were in helping me and in explaining the menus. It was like having class over lunch

Sincerely,

Mina

I had a ball with you. I burned thru that menu at the store, surprised myself.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos,

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Mina J
Mina J Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Mina J wrote:

Congrats Elliott on getting the VI at a bargain. Persistence really does pay off in many situations. I hate it when stores hang up on you because it is so rude. I also hate that my favorite B&H is charging taxes but it will make me more discriminating with my purchases. They are still my favorite.

Got back Sunday and all went well. Had a great time especially seeing you. I haven’t downloaded my photos yet but anxious to see what I got with the RX10 IV and the RX100 III. Again I want to repeat how tremendously helpful you were in helping me and in explaining the menus. It was like having class over lunch

Sincerely,

Mina

I had a ball with you. I burned thru that menu at the store, surprised myself.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos,

I’ll post some soon and still zero tax outside NY and NJ.

Mina

-- hide signature --

"A photograph is a mirror that remembers"
By Blind Tom 1849-1908

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Nikon D300 Nikon D750
Sony Warranty: Demo; Open Box; Used, transferrable

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

Congratulations on a real find. I've been watching for a deal on one but haven't been so lucky. Adorama has had several "Demo" units. Too many to actually be demos. I'm sure they're returns. They are only discounting them $50. That's not enough to give up Sony's 1 year warranty for an in-house 90 warranty.

I spotted one at B&H, but I hesitated too long and it got snapped up. Still being hesitant to jump in with both feet on this camera, I'm wanting a deal like you got to push me to buy. Those are rare right now.

I got lucky. If I see something, I will let you know.

The fololowing was true last time I checked with Sony (we need to verify again).

DEMOS, cameras that have not been sold: The date you buy it is it's initial sale date, and that is the start of Sony's 1 year warranty.

OPEN BOX/RETURNS, like mine, IF previously sold, that was the initial sales date, start of Sony's 1 year warranty. You get the balance of the warranty. Initial Sales date needs to be confirmed, I will see how to do that today, and report back.

USED. Sony warrantys are transferable, you only need a copy of the original sales receipt, that shows the initial sales date, start of Sony's 1 year warranty. You get the balance of the warranty. This is easier if buying used from a person, get a copy before you buy it. Buying from camera stores, Adorama, B&H, Best Buy: I will see how to do that today, and report back. Initial shipping date was not long ago, plenty of time left.

ACCIDENTAL/EXTENDED WARRANTY. I highly recommend them, I go for 3 years. This one, $1,200. camera, if 4 years is not much more, I would go for it.
Some are transferable, check details, can help you sell it later.

a. MMM, these are miniaturized, mobile, moving parts, that's it for me

b. new model, new parts: new EVF (not going well), new Lens/Sensor. This new lens barrel may suck dust inside, what if 13 months after new.

c. slippery like a bar of soap.

a. 3 yr Geek Squad, $179. + tax

b. B&H has 4yr Square Trade, $68. + tax (you pay round trip shipping)

c. Adorama has Mack 3 yr $148. (possibly no tax)

all 3, and all 3 stores have always been professional with me.

Sony: no longer sells direct. Their web site just now:

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Sony Warranty: Demo; Open Box; Used, transferrable

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

I got lucky. If I see something, I will let you know.

The fololowing was true last time I checked with Sony (we need to verify again).

DEMOS, cameras that have not been sold: The date you buy it is it's initial sale date, and that is the start of Sony's 1 year warranty.

OPEN BOX/RETURNS, like mine, IF previously sold, that was the initial sales date, start of Sony's 1 year warranty. You get the balance of the warranty. Initial Sales date needs to be confirmed, I will see how to do that today, and report back.

USED. Sony warrantys are transferable, you only need a copy of the original sales receipt, that shows the initial sales date, start of Sony's 1 year warranty. You get the balance of the warranty. This is easier if buying used from a person, get a copy before you buy it. Buying from camera stores, Adorama, B&H, Best Buy: I will see how to do that today, and report back. Initial shipping date was not long ago, plenty of time left.

ACCIDENTAL/EXTENDED WARRANTY. I highly recommend them, I go for 3 years. This one, $1,200. camera, if 4 years is not much more, I would go for it.
Some are transferable, check details, can help you sell it later.

a. MMM, these are miniaturized, mobile, moving parts, that's it for me

b. new model, new parts: new EVF (not going well), new Lens/Sensor. This new lens barrel may suck dust inside, what if 13 months after new.

c. slippery like a bar of soap.

a. 3 yr Geek Squad, $179. + tax

b. B&H has 4yr Square Trade, $68. + tax (you pay round trip shipping)

c. Adorama has Mack 3 yr $148. (possibly no tax)

all 3, and all 3 stores have always been professional with me.

Sony: no longer sells direct. Their web site just now:

Thanks for all the information, Elliott. Somehow, I got the idea that a demo unit only came with the in-house supplied warranty. I just looked at Adorama's website and found 4 units at $1139 each. After shipping costs, that's a $46.40 savings over a new (non-demo) unit. That's pretty much peanuts when looking at a $1200 camera. I'm still so much up in the air about this camera that I need to stumble into a deal like you got to make me jump instantly. I would have said that wasn't going to happen until I read your story. Great deals do happen if you're in the right place, at the right time.

B&H doesn't seem to be getting very many used or demo units for sale. I don't know why. They may have more as the earliest adopters have to make up their mind to keep or return their cameras.

I've had really good luck buying used equipment from both B&H and Adorama. I wouldn't hesitate buying a highly rated used camera from either one of them if the price is right. Once aftermarket warranty and shipping costs are added in, the price really has to be right.

-- hide signature --

Steve

People who bought from B&H, Adorama have 30 days to return them, so, when did they start shipping? Keep an eye out.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,344
Where are you located? B&H has always (for awhile) been charging tax in NY and NJ.

Where are you located? B&H has always (for awhile) been charging tax in NY and NJ.

Update: I see Mina has already mentioned the tax situation; I missed it the first time.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,344
Remember also that they will match any lower prices...

Remember also that they will match any lower prices (from legitimate retailers) that may turn up during that 30 day period. It's smarter for them to give you the money back than to deal with a return.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Re: Where are you located? B&H has always (for awhile) been charging tax in NY and NJ. (nt)

I am in NJ, and they never charged me tax to ship it to NJ. As shipping is free these days, that was a savings of 8.875%. that's $106. extra on an m6

Now, they are charging NJ tax, 6.25% to ship to NJ, That's $56. extra on an m6

This is the first time tax showed up on a B&H online quote.

No tax shows up on Adorama online quote

as of yesterday.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Re: Remember also that they will match any lower prices...

Corkcampbell wrote:

Remember also that they will match any lower prices (from legitimate retailers) that may turn up during that 30 day period. It's smarter for them to give you the money back than to deal with a return.

There's probably not much chance of finding anyone discounting them for awhile. And, if I buy used, they most likely wouldn't try to price match anyone else. I did buy a rather expensive filter from B&H some years back, and they put it on sale before I even received it. I called them and they quickly agreed to refund the difference with no hassle whatsoever. They're good folks.

-- hide signature --

Steve

elliottnewcomb wrote:

People who bought from B&H, Adorama have 30 days to return them, so, when did they start shipping? Keep an eye out.

Yep. I'm checking several times a day.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Heyhi2018 New Member • Posts: 24

I sent my back to b&h . it got the turn off then on error. The booklets were in Japanese. I'm getting new one cause I have 1 year limited warrenty on it. Bought a smaller case just to protect it and keep it in there instead my pocket it seems so fragile

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads