Pinterest

Started Jul 30, 2018 | Discussions
Hello123
Hello123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,315
Pinterest

I'm curious to know how many of you use Pinterest as a part of your marketing plan?  If so, how successful has it been for you?  I'm starting to second guess the usefulness of this platform for myself.

cormierphoto Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Pinterest

I found Pinterest to be rather useless and inefficient and dropped using it. The issue with Pinterest is that people will largely pin your photo as part of a larger board with many other similar photos, which then get repinned as part of someone else' board. That does nothing for sales. It's great as a mood board, but extremely inefficient for marketing purposes. And how do people find you? Look at trending, I see 'Detox your Liver" spam, 'kill sinus infection in 20 seconds', an add showing a box in a box, a bank ad, hamburger supreme casserole. Local people simply are gonna have problems finding you. Pinterest does not seem to do well in terms of selling photography.

Compare to Instagram, where you can focus locally and build a proper following. People go to your page and profile, instead of a random person's board mixed with other photos. I get clients on a regular based from Instagram, reacting right away to a new special, or out of the blue who stumbled upon me.

Of course that is my opinion and maybe others may able to provide valuable input in how to turn Pinterest in a money maker. My opinion may change if I spend more time with it, but concentrating on one or 2 social networks is enough work as is.

cormierphoto's gear list:cormierphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a99 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +4 more
Hello123
OP Hello123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,315

cormierphoto wrote:

I found Pinterest to be rather useless and inefficient and dropped using it. The issue with Pinterest is that people will largely pin your photo as part of a larger board with many other similar photos, which then get repinned as part of someone else' board. That does nothing for sales. It's great as a mood board, but extremely inefficient for marketing purposes. And how do people find you? Look at trending, I see 'Detox your Liver" spam, 'kill sinus infection in 20 seconds', an add showing a box in a box, a bank ad, hamburger supreme casserole. Local people simply are gonna have problems finding you. Pinterest does not seem to do well in terms of selling photography.

Compare to Instagram, where you can focus locally and build a proper following. People go to your page and profile, instead of a random person's board mixed with other photos. I get clients on a regular based from Instagram, reacting right away to a new special, or out of the blue who stumbled upon me.

Of course that is my opinion and maybe others may able to provide valuable input in how to turn Pinterest in a money maker. My opinion may change if I spend more time with it, but concentrating on one or 2 social networks is enough work as is.

I'm coming to the same conclusion.  I would only add that I don't know which of my photos are being re-pinned anymore... that bugs me.  They used to tell you how many times a photo has been repinned and was a decent way of telling what was popular.  Not anymore.  Pinterest has turned into a black hole of a sorts.

KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477

I've played with it but it's so broad and unfocused it doesn't seem worth much.  It is good for mood boards and I've started just using it as bookmarking for things for my own reference.   One could spend 24/7 trying to be omnipresent on social media and not ever get anything else done.    Pinterest just seems a bit too much like a shotgun trying to hit a fly.

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R III
stratman1976
stratman1976 Contributing Member • Posts: 699

Agree to all comments. Sometimes use it for inspiration or when clients want to send some pictures of ideas they are curious about if I'll do them.

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD900 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Karmaseo New Member • Posts: 3

Individuals use Pinterest for several reasons in comparison to the use of networks like Facebook and Instagram. Pinterest is where individuals search for motivation, including particularly searching out thoughts regarding new items to purchase.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads