Nikon P1000 vs Telescope

Started Jul 26, 2018 | Discussions
Cango Regular Member • Posts: 139
Nikon P1000 vs Telescope

In the past few weeks I've been considering a nice entry telescope that will do some basic astrophotography. After seeing some interesting photos from the Nikon P900 it made me think. The P1000 on a nice tripod using a bluetooth remote might offer a better experience. Flip out screen instead of squinting , Easy to zoom in and 4K video as an option.

Also like the Idea of having the P1000 as camera to take on hikes to capture Southern Oregon wildlife . The other option would be Celestron NexStar 6 SE with T-mount.

Cango's gear list:Cango's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic G95
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TheDarkPrince Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Nikon P1000 vs Telescope

The P1000 on a nice tripod using a bluetooth remote might offer a better experience. Flip out screen instead of squinting , Easy to zoom in and 4K video as an option.

I agree with all of that, but:

One of the best photos I could find of Saturn through the P900:

Saturn through $50-$150 telescope:

Saturn through $200-$500 telescope:

Source:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/what-can-i-see-through-telescope.html

There are many reasons to buy the P900/P1000. Unless you just want to photograph the moon, astrophotography is probably not one of them, as you can get much better results with very cheap telescopes (and a cheap camera or even a phone).

Birdroyfinn
Birdroyfinn Regular Member • Posts: 235

I am birder, so that I don't know requirements for astro stuff. But for me P900 has mostly replaced my spotting scope. Spotting scopes are just pain in the ass to carry around with heavy tripod. And if bird is far away, I can identify it just as good with p900 photo. The are some areas the spotting scope is needed. If you need check out lot of birds or lot of are far away, scope is good or if you want live thrill of seeing far away bird or you want to identify flying birds far away.

The scope is most needed in low light as it makes everything seem brighter.

Birdroyfinn's gear list:Birdroyfinn's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,496
 Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
TheDarkPrince Forum Member • Posts: 94

Yeah, they're definitely both better, but still not nearly as good as the telescopes.

schex86 New Member • Posts: 24

Get both. I just purchased my first telescope off of Craigslist, a Nexstar 5SE for $200. I've already paired it with my FZ80, and its made taking astrophotos much easier, because of the telescopes motorized mount and tracking ability. You can use a piggyback adapter to mount the camera to the top of the scope or use a dovetail adapter to mount the camera directly to the mount. I have the P1000 pre-ordered, and I can imagine this setup being very beneficial when using the P1000 at 3000/6000/12000mm focal length as the scope mount has very fine motor controls available.

schex86's gear list:schex86's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II +10 more
Stan in NH
Stan in NH Senior Member • Posts: 1,677

I have been an amateur astronomer for many years, and have also done some astro-photography.  No camera can match a telescope for planetary or deep sky photography.  You need the light gathering of a scope, plus the equatorial or alt-azimuth electronic tracking mount most scopes offer.  Most astro-photography now uses some type of CCD capture and stacking software to bring out fine detail, color, and also minimize atmospheric distortion.

Regarding the P900 or upcoming P1000 .... these would be fine for casual shots of the moon and, with a proper mount, limited shots of the brighter planets.  You could do star trails too.  However, given the low light/noise issues with such a small sensor, these cameras are far from ideal.  My P900 does a great job with lunar shots, but the moon is very bright, easy to focus on, and requires short exposures.  Anything beyond that does become much more challenging.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,547

Stan in NH wrote:

I have been an amateur astronomer for many years, and have also done some astro-photography. No camera can match a telescope for planetary or deep sky photography. You need the light gathering of a scope, plus the equatorial or alt-azimuth electronic tracking mount most scopes offer. Most astro-photography now uses some type of CCD capture and stacking software to bring out fine detail, color, and also minimize atmospheric distortion.

Regarding the P900 or upcoming P1000 .... these would be fine for casual shots of the moon and, with a proper mount, limited shots of the brighter planets. You could do star trails too. However, given the low light/noise issues with such a small sensor, these cameras are far from ideal. My P900 does a great job with lunar shots, but the moon is very bright, easy to focus on, and requires short exposures. Anything beyond that does become much more challenging.

Totally agree!!

And objects such as nebula, galaxies and comets are completely out of bounds for a P900/P1000.

That said, I do have the P1000 on order.  And for what it is good for, its really good.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500
OP Cango Regular Member • Posts: 139

schex86 wrote:

Get both. I just purchased my first telescope off of Craigslist, a Nexstar 5SE for $200. I've already paired it with my FZ80, and its made taking astrophotos much easier, because of the telescopes motorized mount and tracking ability. You can use a piggyback adapter to mount the camera to the top of the scope or use a dovetail adapter to mount the camera directly to the mount. I have the P1000 pre-ordered, and I can imagine this setup being very beneficial when using the P1000 at 3000/6000/12000mm focal length as the scope mount has very fine motor controls available.

Very good advice. I'll be checking out Craigslist for a good bargain. I still plan on getting the P1000.

Cango's gear list:Cango's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic G95
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 7,962

JimH123 wrote:

Stan in NH wrote:

I have been an amateur astronomer for many years, and have also done some astro-photography. No camera can match a telescope for planetary or deep sky photography. You need the light gathering of a scope, plus the equatorial or alt-azimuth electronic tracking mount most scopes offer. Most astro-photography now uses some type of CCD capture and stacking software to bring out fine detail, color, and also minimize atmospheric distortion.

Regarding the P900 or upcoming P1000 .... these would be fine for casual shots of the moon and, with a proper mount, limited shots of the brighter planets. You could do star trails too. However, given the low light/noise issues with such a small sensor, these cameras are far from ideal. My P900 does a great job with lunar shots, but the moon is very bright, easy to focus on, and requires short exposures. Anything beyond that does become much more challenging.

Totally agree!!

And objects such as nebula, galaxies and comets are completely out of bounds for a P900/P1000.

That said, I do have the P1000 on order. And for what it is good for, its really good.

I agree with Stan and Jim, once a year way out in the desert at Craters of the Moon National Park ID, they host a star gazing party, and the sights you can see through expensive scopes are amazing!! The P900 for what it is good for, is really good! Have a great Day!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads