Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Heyiamnate Regular Member • Posts: 211
Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
2

Hey,

I was wondering, is there any way of tweaking picture profiles on the a6300 in order to achieve the "chroma" look of fuji's film preset in camera ?

 Heyiamnate's gear list:Heyiamnate's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
5

I do not have an a6300 but my a6000 does have the ability to desaturate and make other changes to the image. There is also a retro mode. If for some reason you want an exact duplicate in camera I would have to guess probably not.

That being said why would you want that? Wouldn't that get old awfully fast? -every single photo looking retro

Personally any photo worth keeping is worth doing post editing where you can make adjustments and see the effect on a large screen rather than using canned filter effects.

-- hide signature --

-Chris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/albums
-My philosophy is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of what camera or lens it was taken with.

 csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Luddhi
Luddhi Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
2

As csintexassaid: it is better to do this in post. I used DxO FilmPack® to process some shots and my Fuji XT-1&2 shooting friend could not tell the difference from a Fuji shot

-- hide signature --

Vintage person with a bit of a thing for vintage lenses...
https://500px.com/luddha

 Luddhi's gear list:Luddhi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,959
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
2

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Luddhi
Luddhi Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
3

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Sometimes I want a photo to look something like a shot I took when I still used film cameras. I liked some of my early flower shots taken with Fuji film mostly Provia and Velvia . However, although liking some of the Fuji XT-1 features, including film effects, I found the XT series, both 1 and 2, uncomfortable in my hand, fiddly to use and far too cumbersome for my needs. I bought a Sony a6000, and later a a6500 because they answered to 95% of my needs. They fit in my jacket pocket; I can get them in and out of my pockets without changing my settings and I can hold them all day without my hand cramping and arms tiring. Meanwhile the RAW files from the Sony are easier to process and, to my eye, more forgiving in post.

Using DxO Optics Pro, or DxO filmPack 3, I can post process a Sony Raw to output to print with something that my Fuji friends tell me is almost indistinguishable from Fuji jpeg output—just maybe a little bit better in the shadows.

If you like the Fuji bodies—and X-Trans then that's good for you. Some of my best friends shoot Fuji But if you have chosen a different make, for whatever reason, why should that exclude you from using Fuji film emulations? When I shot Fuji film it was mostly on non-Fuji cameras—Pentax, Olympus and Canon because they offered features that I wanted. I see using Fuji film emulations on other camera makes as much the same thing.

Regards

-- hide signature --

Vintage person with a bit of a thing for vintage lenses...
https://500px.com/luddha

 Luddhi's gear list:Luddhi's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 V USM Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
OP Heyiamnate Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Maybe because one loves the sony cameras but sometimes wants the film look that fuji dows so well ? Maybe when one got into sony, fuji weren't as good ?
and thanks everyone !

 Heyiamnate's gear list:Heyiamnate's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
4

Do you actually have experience using fuji classic chrome mode?

Or is this just something you have read about?

There is a flickr group for it and I am not seeing anything special that I think can not be replicated in general although because of different sensor tech the systems will handle different scenes differently.

The reality is that fujifilm puts a lot of hype out there about their color processing and advantages of the x-trans sensor but there is actually no meaningful difference.

For example if you gave people a random sample of photographs no one would be able to tell which camera which photo came from.

But they do handle different scenes differently and if you believe fujifilm will suit your tastes better the only way to get it is to buy one of thier cameras.

-- hide signature --

-Chris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/albums
-My philosophy is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of what camera or lens it was taken with.

 csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Lens_Goat Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Luddhi wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Sometimes I want a photo to look something like a shot I took when I still used film cameras. I liked some of my early flower shots taken with Fuji film mostly Provia and Velvia . However, although liking some of the Fuji XT-1 features, including film effects, I found the XT series, both 1 and 2, uncomfortable in my hand, fiddly to use and far too cumbersome for my needs. I bought a Sony a6000, and later a a6500 because they answered to 95% of my needs. They fit in my jacket pocket; I can get them in and out of my pockets without changing my settings and I can hold them all day without my hand cramping and arms tiring. Meanwhile the RAW files from the Sony are easier to process and, to my eye, more forgiving in post.

Using DxO Optics Pro, or DxO filmPack 3, I can post process a Sony Raw to output to print with something that my Fuji friends tell me is almost indistinguishable from Fuji jpeg output—just maybe a little bit better in the shadows.

If you like the Fuji bodies—and X-Trans then that's good for you. Some of my best friends shoot Fuji But if you have chosen a different make, for whatever reason, why should that exclude you from using Fuji film emulations? When I shot Fuji film it was mostly on non-Fuji cameras—Pentax, Olympus and Canon because they offered features that I wanted. I see using Fuji film emulations on other camera makes as much the same thing.

Regards

Merely based on handling in store, that has been my impression of the XT-20. I don't know why Sony ergonomics are always bashed. I brought up Sony's dubious reputation on the ergonomics front and the salesman was surprised, he said he likes the Sony ergos and was surprised anyone would think otherwise.

I could understand why the OP would wish to shoot with a Sony but also wish to have a Fuji-like experience in some respects. The JPEG output is lauded and their optics are first-rate. It's a more expensive system to get into. The better analogy is a Toyota driver wanting the performance/luxury of a Lexus. Not to suggest the Sony isn't better in many ways, rather the Fuji generally exists in a higher price bracket.

 Lens_Goat's gear list:Lens_Goat's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
1

I think that in the early days the crit was mostly because the reviewers where coming from Canon and Nikon systems and Sony was just different. People tend to favor familiarity.

Other people just like more dials because more dials must mean better control.

Recently my local bestbuy started carrying fujifilm cameras and I was not particularly impressed either. I do like lenses with aperture rings though.

-- hide signature --

-Chris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/albums
-My philosophy is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of what camera or lens it was taken with.

 csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
OP Heyiamnate Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Lens_Goat wrote:

Luddhi wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Sometimes I want a photo to look something like a shot I took when I still used film cameras. I liked some of my early flower shots taken with Fuji film mostly Provia and Velvia . However, although liking some of the Fuji XT-1 features, including film effects, I found the XT series, both 1 and 2, uncomfortable in my hand, fiddly to use and far too cumbersome for my needs. I bought a Sony a6000, and later a a6500 because they answered to 95% of my needs. They fit in my jacket pocket; I can get them in and out of my pockets without changing my settings and I can hold them all day without my hand cramping and arms tiring. Meanwhile the RAW files from the Sony are easier to process and, to my eye, more forgiving in post.

Using DxO Optics Pro, or DxO filmPack 3, I can post process a Sony Raw to output to print with something that my Fuji friends tell me is almost indistinguishable from Fuji jpeg output—just maybe a little bit better in the shadows.

If you like the Fuji bodies—and X-Trans then that's good for you. Some of my best friends shoot Fuji But if you have chosen a different make, for whatever reason, why should that exclude you from using Fuji film emulations? When I shot Fuji film it was mostly on non-Fuji cameras—Pentax, Olympus and Canon because they offered features that I wanted. I see using Fuji film emulations on other camera makes as much the same thing.

Regards

Merely based on handling in store, that has been my impression of the XT-20. I don't know why Sony ergonomics are always bashed. I brought up Sony's dubious reputation on the ergonomics front and the salesman was surprised, he said he likes the Sony ergos and was surprised anyone would think otherwise.

I could understand why the OP would wish to shoot with a Sony but also wish to have a Fuji-like experience in some respects. The JPEG output is lauded and their optics are first-rate. It's a more expensive system to get into. The better analogy is a Toyota driver wanting the performance/luxury of a Lexus. Not to suggest the Sony isn't better in many ways, rather the Fuji generally exists in a higher price bracket.

Here In Israel Fuji glass is cheaper or same price, but not really more expensive

 Heyiamnate's gear list:Heyiamnate's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Since I came to Sony from Fuji (X-T20), I must say that their film simulation is more a good marketing move rather than useful thing. I managed to get some nice colors with lanscape shots with Velvia, but others were so-so. They try o play with those who used to shot on film or like modern VSCO-style trend, but their film simulations are far from "that" films and they're miss with VSCO-like colors completely. So, if you want a film simulation, just use DXO/VSCO/RNI/Mastin or other of many similar presets. This would make more sense.

 SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Bradrobb
Bradrobb Contributing Member • Posts: 998
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Hi

Back in the he days in 2011 when I first bought my NEX 3 I used Topaz to get different effects. I also tried using Nik.

As other have said I soon tired of that look.

I like to get my photos in camera and do not like doing a lot of editing.

I would rather spend my time walking the streets and taking photos.

Brad

-- hide signature --

I go through life shooting Snap Shots.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradrobb/
1.6 Million Views on Flickr

 Bradrobb's gear list:Bradrobb's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha NEX-3 A3000 Sony a5000 +10 more
monked Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
1

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

Why not? He has a Sony and wants to mimic a profile in a Fuji. What's the big deal?

csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

I do not see where it was suggested as being a "big deal". It was correct though. The best way to get fuji colors is with a fuji camera. And it is questionable why someone wanting fuji colors would bother using  sony. Not that hard to sell the sony and pick up a used fuji.

-- hide signature --

-Chris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/albums
-My philosophy is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of what camera or lens it was taken with.

 csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

csintexas wrote:

Not that hard to sell the sony and pick up a used fuji.

Why would anyone do that and lose his money if you can do that in a few click with a preset?

 SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,959
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

SpacemanUA wrote:

csintexas wrote:

Not that hard to sell the sony and pick up a used fuji.

Why would anyone do that and lose his money if you can do that in a few click with a preset?

The answer to this "why would anyone... " lies in the simplicity of ooc jpegs. If one is not trained or willing to post process to any desired profile and look, it is hard to be un-lazy with any non-desired camera and expect other manufacturers' looks. Even a $12,000 Hasselblatt medium format digital camera would be unusable for Fuji looks right out of camera unless one can pp.

That is why: convenience and lack of pp skills and depending solely on ooc jpegs is the reason.  Once one has made a Fuji like profile, it is one click away in pp under presets. Laziness is no click and no thought away with a Fuji camera.

OP's choice.

SpacemanUA
SpacemanUA Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

uhligfd wrote:

The answer to this "why would anyone... " lies in the simplicity of ooc jpegs. If one is not trained or willing to post process to any desired profile and look, it is hard to be un-lazy with any non-desired camera and expect other manufacturers' looks. Even a $12,000 Hasselblatt medium format digital camera would be unusable for Fuji looks right out of camera unless one can pp.

That is why: convenience and lack of pp skills and depending solely on ooc jpegs is the reason. Once one has made a Fuji like profile, it is one click away in pp under presets. Laziness is no click and no thought away with a Fuji camera.

OP's choice.

If you think that Fuji has some magic and it's OOC jpegs are all look good, you are very wrong. To get nice result  from Fuji camera, one has to learn how to use it and learn all the jpeg and film settings (S&H, DR, color, etc.). And only after that one might get a good result. But usually it ends with "screw it all, I'll just shoot raw" cause you have  to be very experienced with Fuji cameras and settings to select just the exact setup for the exact scene. Most of the time you have no time for this, so you end up with some basic presets which are "okay".

I bought Fuji with similar thoughts (oh yeah, I will spend more time shooting rather than PPing in front of the monitor!). Not even close. After a year of owning X-T20 I learnt how to get nice colors in landscape shots, but still couldn't get what I wanted with portraits and used presets. So, no magic there, just a work with in-camera settings. Which, basically, you can do with any modern camera.

 SpacemanUA's gear list:SpacemanUA's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
csintexas
csintexas Senior Member • Posts: 1,106
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?
1

I suppose there are a lot of folks who think some photography product will make a profound difference.

-- hide signature --

-Chris
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cspics/albums
-My philosophy is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of what camera or lens it was taken with.

 csintexas's gear list:csintexas's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
rla1022 Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

Not sure why you got such responses. I personally love the tech of my a6000 that I’ve had since 2015. This topic comes up from time to time. The latest version of Lightroom has made it really easy to do this easy on an iPad. The RNI profiles include some really awesome ones. http://reallyniceimages.com/products/films-cc-mini.html

Im really liking Agfa.

 rla1022's gear list:rla1022's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
JulyDerek Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Fuji like picture profile for sony jpegs ?

uhligfd wrote:

Why use, have or buy a Sony when one wants to have the output of a Fuji; I never understand this oft heard desire. Why buy a Volvo and want the performance of a Toyota, or a Corvette.

Why buy a grey suit and want or need a black one?

Incomprehensible to me. Buy what you desire and be happy. PP to your own taste, picture for picture and be really creative and a master of your own images.

If you can do it, why not ??

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads